Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭_Knight

I hate this scheme already.

I got a couple of cans with meal deal and now I have to keep them in my room. I don't need to go to the shop for dinner but I might pop in after work, but for that, I need to remember to put the cans in a bag and bring them when I leave.

It's just hassle.

I also live in a house share and my housemates are leaving empty bottles and cans lying around on counters, they're taking up space, sometimes falling over onto the floor. There's no space for 4 seperate bins for each of our cans.

I haven't returned any cans yet but isn't it a paper voucher, so I have to go to the effort of returning them for 30c and then hassle of using a voucher instead of just scanning my phone.

The whole scheme just reeks of students union types living in a fantasy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The whole scheme just reeks of students union types living in a fantasy world.

Perfectly describes many politicians.

I didn't realise it was a paper voucher, that's hilarious. Will there be an RVM for the paper vouchers too?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Little bit of help from ye: I am trying to find what percentage of our total plastic waste is taken up by plastic bottles which have the deposit.

EPA-2021 and Ireland generated just under of 400,000 tonnes of plastic waste.

This tie from the EU Directive,

"however, end-of-waste materials

to be used as fuels or other means to generate energy, or to be incinerated, backfilled or landfilled, shall not be counted towards the

attainment of the recycling targets."

Hmmm and we incinerate about 70%????

How much of a difference will ReTurn make?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Your own bottles and cans are "filth", jaysus.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I regularly see people in shops who appear to have lower hygiene standards than normal anyway so I can't see a visit to the RVM making things a lot worse.

This system has been used for years in Germany and they don't seem to have a hygiene issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

I rolled out my recycling bin this evening, there is not much in it. A big lorry will visit the estate tomorrow and take everyone's recycling away.

I pulled the bin past the bag of very specific recyclables in the backroom that I've tried to return unsuccessfully (only one attempt so far in fairness).

I never thought id be emotional breaking up with with a bin truck, but I've a tear in my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I didn't realise it was a paper voucher, that's hilarious. Will there be an RVM for the paper vouchers too?

Don't give them ideas. Before you know it, they'll be deducting 5c of every voucher to cover recycling the paper its printed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Do you have proof or are you going to shy away for another few weeks?

people will stockpile black bags of cans and bottles

That's a new one, do you have proof of this behaviour? The most products I've ever seen somebody put into an RVM is 5 and most people will return with their weekly shop (so 1 week) so I've not noticed much of a stockpile myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Well i have a stockpile of 100 or so crushed cans in a clear bin liner to go into green recycling bin = old stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Do I have proof that manually processing cans and bottles will take time?

Are you okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

nooo, please! you're throwing away money. 1 euro 20 cents worth of scrap aluminium or something. i want ur crushed cans.

56-70 cans = 1 euro

https://scrapyard.ie/scrap-metal-prices/

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i do that everytime i set out to go to an RVM. usually 1 or 2 black bags full. But the machines keep printing out the tickets before i can get fully finished returning most of a bag. it gets annoying. About halfway through each bag or just over, it spits out the receipt voucher.

But asides from that, alot of other people stock piled cans and bottles because of clickbait articles leading up to the scheme, then just leave their cans/bottles there at the machine after they find out its useless/was all for nothing.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

It's a hassle, end up throwing the bottles and cans into the home recycling. More tax money for the government which could have been their wish all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jj880

Posters looking for proof returning in store will take up people's time. Posters looking for proof people are stock piling containers. Jaysus.

Then it doesn't matter if recyclables are brought back to stores to possibly contaminate surfaces and produce. The logic for this: smelly people. 🤣

What is going on in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Off course I don’t have proof, have you proof that your opinion is more valid? Ideally not anecdotal.

Everyone will do it how they please. How do people use bottle banks?

I personally have a little pile that I will return when I’ve a decent voucher built up on - one journey, one visit to the machine.

Post edited by thomas 123 on

It really is cult like devotion.

Bizzaro World!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Send your very valid opinion to that Ossian Smyth lad - it's his baby, though you'd never think it as he's that invisible.

What's going on? The scheme is badly designed and then poorly implemented, the public aren't impressed.

People making crazy claims without an iota of proof about them

I guess it is the internet

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This scheme is a load of cock.

So I had 23 cans gathered together which I went back into the supermarket with yesterday (supervalu). Hassle to gather and keep, hassle to travel to return machine, hassle to input individual items.

Put then all through and got a paper voucher for €3.45.

Went into the shop, did a bit of shopping and went to the counter. Cost came to whatever, so I offered the voucher to get the price off the shopping.

No, i must do that as a separate check out, I was told. What, I said, you mean I can't get the value taken off my shopping bill?

Nope, you can only get the value in actual cash.......

What kind of a stupid **** system is that?

I now make my shopping choice towards those shops that don't have this stupid system in place

crazy claims? What’s crazy is assuming every single person will do exactly as you think they will do.

@Red Silurian this poster stockpiled cans? Do you accept some people will gather up more than 5 items at a time now?

I’ve noticed that in my local SuperValu also, my one requires I present my club card to be able to avail of the money off the shop or cash out if I don’t have a card. Seems to be a SuperValu issue - I disagree with this as I only provide it once there’s a direct cash incentive for me to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

We bought some Cream Soda in Dunnes this week, charged the deposit but the bottles didn't have the returnable logo on. My wife was talking to a worker in Aldi, he said it will be months before they use up the stock in their warehouse & bottles with the logo on are on the shelves.

Surely all plastic bottles & cans ended up back at a recycling place before this, it's not as if people just threw them over a ditch.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I have a supervalu card and I was not given the option of "money off", in fact I was told it had to be a separate check out as the system wasn't set up to be able to take the re-turn voucher off the shopping cost.

And who said people won't be stock pilling return items? Of course they will. They're not going to be taking back 2 or 3 items a time in order to get 45c in their pocket. That's just stupid.

From my understanding, because they are all franchises they will all do as they please. It could have been the cashier you were dealing with - the cashier I was called over the supervisor to help her so it’s either they have chosen to do it that way or staff training - their till system is trash - baffles me that one to scan my card at the end of shopping, then the voucher instead of just one scan at any point during the checkout.

It's almost like they are making it extremely hard for people to get back their money.

Just a reminder, Re-Turn will pocket 300k a day for this scheme in year 1.

Or in fúcking hell terms, 109.5 million in the first year.

Probably far more considering there is no system to manually take back containers that the machine rejects.

Now shut up and put up, it's the law!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Now lads steady on. We were told we copied the "perfect" German system!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

3 times I've used it in dunnes, no issues whatsoever.

Get the feeling some people just don't want it to work.

I've seen videos of people showing it "not working" but they are putting their hand in too far and not showing that message then on the camera. Pathetic really

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement