Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭older by the day

Looks like a genuine advert here on done deal. It might suit some one

https://www.donedeal.ie/farmersnoticeboard-for-sale/looking-for-accommodation-work/36352942

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kerrysoul

Will the milk suppliers fund Kerry Coop in order to pay Kerry PLC for the processing plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭green daries

They would be daft to have anything to do with it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

a price neither side is happy with, they need a good referee between the two of them and quick

doesnt matter proportions dry to active, the active shareholders have been contributing 80-100m each year out of their business to supplement the plc growth...retired who have their feet up have been getting the benefit of dividends but not taking a hit on their milk price to provide adequate margin to aid plc share price and cashflow. The margin taken by plc is out of kilter with acceptable margins in dairy processing across the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Sorry to interrupt the Kerry Co-op discussion……

Has anyone ever seen heifers from Ho Fr cows crossed with a He bull with these markings??

Two different heifers from the same AI bull HE5380

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Dry shareholders will have a thing or two to say about that. If the farmers want control of the milk processing, then let them pony up with their own funding. Put up or shut up

Why would you say that. It should never have been allowed for farmers who retired to hold shares of any form in the coop or any coop for that matter... its like the single payment fiasco. Which was preceded by the mess that was milk quota. None of these should have been allowed to become tradable assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

No. I think you may have used the wrong straws.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Is the profit from the dairy business 80 to 100 million a year? It's probaly worth the 800 million so if there's a property thing involved as well.i suspect eatan bread is fast forgotten and I think the dry shareholders won't let any kerry group money go towards purchase. Would all milk suppliers be prepared to contribute .but I will say in a room full of kerry people how would spot the fool?.it's the cork man trying to figure out what the kerrymen are thinking

It is what it is, no use complaining about what should have been allowed or not allowed. If the milk suppliers really want control of milk processing then let them pay for it, otherwise let some other entity purchase it

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Dairy business is worth 600 million max and at that it would be bad value somewhere closer to 400 million is a more realistic valuation if co op were ever to buy it.

But this will never happen, measures in place that co op can not spend more than 50 million of shareholders funds over 5 year period pushed through by dry shareholders who won’t let a red cent go towards a possible deal. Current suppliers will be happy to sit on their shares and explore their new producer group taking milk elsewhere than buy into any form of deal to acquire the dairy business. There is just far too many people sitting on mountains of shares for the co op buying the dairy business ever coming to pass simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Hard to see the CoOp buying it unless at a knockdown price. Why would farmers see the need to spend money to own the processing. Their milk is already being purchased anyway. Unless the PLC can get some outside investor to come in and take it over then I am afraid they are stuck with it. What other options do they have, they can continue as is in which case they need farmer suppliers or close it down.

IMO if they want out it would need to sell for very small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

From the outside looking in, the plc where living of depreciation and not investing in our maintaining their processing facilities, basically using it as a cash cow, now they want shot of it and their plants are outdated/worthless relics, bit Irish expecting the co-op to buy it off them for multiples of its actual worth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

Alot of suppliers like myself couldn't give a rats ass to be honest.

The recent survey of Kerry suppliers suggests that they really want control over milk processing and consider this to be extremely important to them. Well they can achieve this objective by purchasing the Listowel plant and facilities with their own funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

That survey had 55% response rate so I'd say it can be discarded. It's the ones that don't care less that didn't bother partaking. The whole survey was probably conducted as a propaganda exercise in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

Some very good comments here about Kerry Co Op. A few comments from ignorant people too though who know as much about Kerry shares as a pig knows about a holiday.

Just for full disclosure I offloaded the whole lot of my PLC & Co-op shares before they crashed so I’m just an interested observer in all this.

Apparently the buying of the dairy business will come with a 93.5% CGT spin out.

As for the Co-op rule book - it doesn’t matter if it was written 1,000 years ago. Kerry Co-op must abide by the laws of the land. They can write whatever they write in the rule book and it won’t stand up in court. As a matter of fact they were terrified in the finish up when they were cancelling guys shares who were swapping over to Golden Vale because they felt if any of the people who defected over to GV took a case against KCC that KCC would lose and that was from KCC’s own management and is a 100% fact.

Apparently there’s gonna be a big vote on all this at the AGM in the summer and I personally couldn’t care less if they all ate one another at it but my guess would be a deal will be done. The PLC need to get rid of the dairy business and the Co-op will be able to tie up all their loose ends by buying the dairy business. It’s probably the best outcome if everyone is to be reasonable about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

The responsibility for processing should fall back on the coop.

That will be the responsibility of the sharhokders of the coop....not just the suppliers.

All coop shareholder agreements contain the rule that as a sharholder "The coop must collect all of the milk from all of the cows the shareholder grazes in the coop collection area, process and sell it and retur the market returns to the supplier"

• Advertisement

I've seen that just the once but not two together like that

How will the Coop finance the purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

What I’ve been told is that the shares will be cut to 5.7, the Co Op has a good bit of cash in the bank too and that’ll all be used also.

Apparently it’s €170 million the co-op will be putting towards the purchase but the purchase of the dairy business will not be by KCC and KCC will actually be getting wound up, there’ll be a whole new entity that’ll be buying the dairy business. That’s all facts now, it’s no pub talk

I think it’s clear as day now previous board members and chairmen stabbed the shareholders in the back and did everything they could to block the shares being spun out back when they were worth something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have a feeling on farm investment will collapse due to the uncertaintys with derogation, more incorporations, price and age demographics going forward.

Let them supply the others two big coops it's madness trying to buy out a business that nobody wants and either can't or won't pay a competitive price

It has completely stalled around here know of nobody doing any investments one lad wants to do a concrete tank nobody wants to do it for him.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lad here was meant to do 9 tanks that were cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭older by the day

I don't want to be negative but this country has let costs run away. It's the small stuff that adds up. Building is a one off that benefits you for forty years. But it's electricity, detergents, straw, and the run of mill stuff that takes the profit and moral out of farming

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

And not just in farming, we are completely out of kilter with most of Europe and further a field.. becoming a very 2 tiered society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

The Co-op are in a very strong position imo... the PLC as u say want rid of it but are stuck with it..... the Co-op can take it or leave it... the longer it goes on the less the Dairy business is worth.... with a dwindling milk pool which could dwindle even more rapidly than expected if derogation is pulled... the Co-op should take their time over this one....

Advertisement