Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ah the time for probing is over, what they need is a good old fashioned see-ing to, followed by an all merciful boot in the hole to land them into the middle of next week, it might bring them back to reality

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree - what's with these publicly funded bodies like FAI and RTE that are exposed to have poor corporate governance and dodgy accounting. They get a good kick up the arse, are told to reform but carry on with some of the same poor corporate governance and dodgy accounting. It seems to be a cultural thing in them, that the leopard can't change it's spots. In cases like this, you begin to think the humane solution is a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I agree but its needs to be done for them all including politicians, the political parties, government departments and then those government funded entities/agencies. Every single one has been caught up in something, the only that doesn't ever seem to be caught up in anything is the Revenue.

You just know the going ons at the FAI and RTE are barely even making a scratch on what's going on, imagine what's going on in the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Mr Bakhurst has defended the practice of the two producers being paid separately by another arm of RTÉ for working on the project.

“I am told in their spare time they were working on Toy Show The Musical and were paid separately for that, doing both,” he said on RTÉ’s SixOne News.

Mr Bakhurst said the two producers were “extremely talented”.

The producers were also granted artists' tax exemptions for their work on Toy Show The Musical.

Hands up who believes they were only working on the TSTM in their spare time (you could be forgiven for thinking it might have actually been so considering the shambles it was)

Was this not under the remit of RTE and therefore should have been the full time job of those involved. Something doesn't add up.

Bakhurst digging a little bit more of his own grave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I think Siún will be next.. for the chop

RTE news : Minister 'disappointed' over approval of exit package

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0222/1433707-rte-exit-payments/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Catherine Martin has had 8 months to get her head around the RTE scandal. What the hell was she at? She hasn't a scooby doo what went on. I suppose she should request a bunch more reports. Inept is not the word.

Is there an ounce of management ability in her? Get into RTE and bang some heads together!!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's just one thing after another - the incompetence knows no bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

In fairness, the people she is questioning also have no clue what's going on in RTE. Lads with no clue what they even earn sure. They are all well matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The whole board should have been sacked ages ago.

Bakhurst also in trouble.

They have lied to the Minister constantly probably because Catherine Martin, who seems like a nice person, is out of her depth and not properly representing the tax payer. Her own position is in question through all of this.

• Advertisement

Siun and Bakhurst formed a little club when they got together last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

She's completely taking the piss. The coward should be summonsed now.

Brian Stanley tells Virgin Media that RTE told the PAC Bull*hit everytime they came into them.

Who in their right mind will pay the license fee now? I am actually looking forward to getting my next reminder. I will forward it straight to Catherine Martin and demand a refund of all my previous license fees that went to O'Keefe and Coveney and other Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Downlinz

If we're all just accepting it's a bottomless cash pit of waste for taxpayers money full of directors with no appetite for change and nobody knowing who's accountable then why should the public fund RTE and why is the government position to continue funding RTE?

Surely letting the organisation fend for itself and doing something else with public money on the necessary media services is the logical next step?

Completely bizarre for Catherine Martin to have this big interview tonight rather than having the meeting first.

Catherine Martin is an idiot.

Why didn't she have the meeting today and sack her then.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

It's been going on for ever. Big payouts for redundancy yet the head count goes up every year.

It is bizarre. She was nowhere to be found when the revelations were coming out. 7 months for a report blah blah blah. Then she meets the chair on Monday and Wednesday, hits Prime Time in RTE studios on Thursday and effectively says she is going to fire the chair on Friday!! Insane manoeuvres.

I wonder what her Green voters think of this strategy to effectively sack someone live on Prime Time television.

Where is that absolute hero of a poster who warned us about all of the shenanigans in RTE for years??

@ButtersSuki You were right!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Let's not forget about the two extremely talented producers employed by RTE getting 2 pay cheques each plus artists tax exemptions for for good measure.

Real cost of TSTM to the tax payer much higher than 2,200,000. Euro.

There may be some hidden reasons for this bizarre interview tonight from Catherine Martin.

What exactly is Catherine Martin hiding and why the need for this interview at all?

She's in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Windowsnut

Why have RTE staff not walked out in protest?

Martin should resign now and the board sacked, this has just ground on and on and on!

Slate needs to be wiped, shutter the station and get on with it.

Can we use their own slogan- The truth matters?

Every news program has been consumed by this.

As Pat Kenny said last Thursday, we should be discussing the national children’s hospital overspend,or I think, is it 2 billion interest a month the Irish taxpayer is still paying for the banking bailout?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

This is indeed bizarre. First, RTE gives the impression that Coveney resigned and Backhurst refers to him as being eligible for ‘statutory’ payments but gives a clear impression that no other payments were made. Then, when the payments are disclosed there’s concern as to how Backhurst unilaterally approved two exit payments without running it by the Board. Then it turns out that the Board did approve at least one of them but told the Minster otherwise.

There’s no way any Govt can approve funding for RTE with all these landmines going off and worse of all this isn’t Dee and Moya it’s their two replacements

Maybe a newspaper was about to spill the beans and she wanted to get ahead of it. Strange behaviour. Both Siun and Catherine need to step down. Bakhurst too. Get a competent manager on a short term contract in to do a very quick evaluation of the remaining muppets and come up with a remediation plan with stark options. It's a basket case. I would reduce the size of it significantly, sell the assets off and repurpose RTE to a news and current affairs provider, nothing more. 1 news channel, 1 radio channel, 1 website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Apparently they only resign when offered sacks of cash, whoever offers sacks of cash now is likely to be sacked so I doubt we will be seeing any more resignations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It doesn't look good for Martin or Ní Raghallaigh. Both seem to be completely out of their depth. Martin's use to the government is that she is a distraction to the Immigration issue and the Childrens Hospital issue. It wouldn't be suprising to see her accept the explanations tomorrow. On the other hand, this latest RTE issue has confirmed that RTE doesn't seem to have any respect for Martin to have "misinformed" her like this. Martin has to act or her own position could be in question.

Regards...jmcc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Siún Ní Raghallaigh was effectively sacked on TV tonight, I will be astonished if she remains in post by tomorrow evening.

Martins interview on PT was extraordinary. It was clearly a set up with requested questions. My guess was one of the papers was going to run with this tomorrow and she needed to get out ahead of it to prevent herself getting consumed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Possibly. Beaker's coverage in the Indo has been quite good on this and he does ask the right questions. The problem is that it is not just Ní Raghallaigh who is in the firing line (bad pun) for this as there are other RTE people who also had knowledge of the situation.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I would have had to watch rte to see that so that's a negative, it's all getting more bizarre, throwing each other under buses, as for papers running unwanted stories, they have them fairly well censored from my limited personal experience,I wouldn't believe much in them anymore either when they were given proof of other stories being false but still printed government propaganda.

Advertisement