Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

They'll turn on each other like cornered rats and while there may have been leaks to the press before now, that's likely to become a flood.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Nearly a year later and the lies and obfuscation are still happening.

Can't and won't watch rte so no idea what happened with siun etc but clearly the whole thing is an absolute shambles that has no end.

Is 'misinformation' the new way to describe lies. Because it about time someone starting calling a shovel a shovel and send this $hitshow packing.

As always, Beaker has an interesting take on events. It doesn't seem to be as straightforward as it seems.

If it turns out that she did inform the department officials, it looks like Martin herself is now in trouble. If there's a paper record confirming Ni Raghallaigh's story then Martin might be next for the high jump.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So as I suspected, the rush to appear on PT tonight by Martin was an attempt to get ahead of the story and get her twist out first.

Martin is in peril now. No loss, she's been a completely absent minister on this.

Bit mad how two normally quiet sedate ministries ended up in Green hands and have been at the centre of controversy for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I am reading that right - she is contradicting herself in that statement, she did know, told the minister she didn't know, but then says she told them in October???

• Registered Users Posts: 82,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's probably time to call in Sam Allardyce 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

She told the dept about the package for Collins but seemingly did not say it had been approved by the board.

The question is did Martin say she had no knowledge of the package in the last few days? I can't remember myself!

Just after watching PT - Martin is such a weak sounding Minister

Looks like a CYA statement but it has completely stitched up Martin. The department was informed but one thing did not go through the full board. Very clever choice of words.

"I was asked if the Board knew about the exit packages for Rory Coveney and Richard Collins. I said that I was aware of them, but they had not come before the full Board. However, I neglected to recollect that Richard Collin’s exit package did go before the Renumeration Committee"

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Whole thing is becoming a mess, I'd say answers and accountability will be few, if any.

The way I read that is they both came before the board, regardless if they agreed, if one package approved and another not why did both packages get paid off.

It's just another "we do what we like in RTE" - sod what anyone says, especially the board, why did HR not get approval from the board for the payment? Does someone just rock up to HR saying Hey 400k payoff has been agreed and no one bothers to check.

The gross incompetence of mismanagement seems to run through every level of RTE. Next person brought to PAC should be the head of HR since surely they are the ones approving pay offs.

It is a mess and there's going to be some panic trying to save Martin later today. She's just not ministerial material. At best she's county councillor level. Ni 'Raghallaigh's mention of the department being informed in October is a major problem because it makes Martin look clueless.

Regards...jmcc

But Martin says she asked twice this week about it and was told nothing agreed - how Martin got a ministerial post is beyond me to start with, has been utterly useless throughout this whole thing - why are teachers thought of as good ministers in this country, if anything they have proven to be the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The level of ineptitude is astounding.

I'll bet they're just hoping for some really big news thing to attempt to distract the public.

Honestly, does anyone see any of this actually being sorted? People actually being held accountable?

I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Who in their right mind would take on a task like that ?. And no matter what they were paid to clean the mess, the Politicans would moan about the cost and the package paid to the fixer.

Just shut it down. After 8 months, there is no end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Well, she really has been totally ineffectual throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,012 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Martin was on TV last night , absolutely incapable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And another heads off into the sunset. I wonder will Suin now be unavailable to the Oireacthas committees now due to illness or something else?

Martin is a disaster but watch them try blame the civil servants. Is she worth saving for the government? Government could be in trouble between her and Varadkar being reported to Gardai over those donations and his SIPO statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rte, the gift that keeps on giving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

it’s just a Circus now. Rte Management are incapable of coming clean or sorting it out. The Government are even less capable of solving the issue . Every single member of both boards should be sidelined or got rid of and a fresh start ……. dissolve Rte and reconstitute it if necessary. Personally i have no issues with their News and Current Affairs section which is doing their best but every other section needs to be cleaned out. Two Produces given two additional jobs for producing the Musical ……. paid from the commercial arm of RTE and then claim an artist tax exemption …….. the place stinks

The best entertainment that RTE has produced in years. Unfortunately, we are all paying for it.

Regards...jmcc

She could be much more dangerous in an appearance before the committees as she has no RTE career to protect now. Some RTE board members and management could be dusting off their CVs later today.

Regards...jmcc

Is she the first big wig to actually walk away from Rte WITHOUT a big pay off?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Eimear Cusack and Adrian Lynch are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Marie Sherlock says Catherine Martin is out of her depth.

I suspect Green voters aren't too impressed with the way Catherine Martin has gone about this. There was no need for that interview. She should have called the meeting last night and sacked her in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Not one bit surprised. She really was the face of it all when the Tubs stuff came into the ether.

My feeling after seeing her appearances on the six.one and other media shows at the time was she clearly seemed like a deer in the highlights, well out of her depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

She won't be walking empty handed,if they don't give her a lump sum she has a case to take about being told she was going to be sacked the next day by watching TV, what a mess,these ministers are paying their family and friends as "advisors/ assistants" surely one of them could have have said this isn't a good idea?

How's the cost saving going at the broke state broadcaster?

Any of the redundancies happened?

All I see is money being spent, nothing being saved.

Time to bring in one of those ruthless, outside consultants to do the job? Interview and ask every employee what they do, and decide if they are needed.

• Advertisement

Job losses rather than redundancies (meaning the position is being eliminated). They have to replace Ni Raghallaigh. At the moment, some of the other RTE management could be "exited" to use Bakhurst's term.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement