Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So you have had no issue so your rock solid assumption is millions of other people can't possible have either?

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I accept that we will have some people stockpiling 500 cans/bottles my point is that the vast vast majority of people will stockpile a weeks worth at most

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Have you any evidence of that? “Vast vast majority”

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭_Knight

It works in Europe!!1!

Homeless people go around collecting the cans people leave behind, our streets are spotless and the homeless make money!!1!!!

• Advertisement

I've used the machines about 10 times since the introduction and 9 times of those ten it's worked

While I think the scheme is a good idea to improve our recycling rates I can't argue that it's been implemented well

Issues such as in the lead up to the 1st of February we get told "all in scope items will have the re-turn logo" and "there will be some items without the logo that aren't part of the scheme"

From my own personal experience, there were deposits being charged on stuff that doesn't have a logo, before the 1st day of the scheme. Some products have the re-turn logo so shops are (correctly) applying the deposit but the machines aren't taking them back.

So that's 3 situations where what we were told hasn't happened. Contact re-turn themselves and they don't have a clue.

I accept that it's far from the disaster that some people claim it to be but it is far from the German system we hear so much about

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The RVM seems to lend itself to more modest numbers of returns at one time.

Up to now any cans I had were stockpiled along with glass bottles.

I have space to accommodate up to 2 months worth.

The cans and bottles were then taken to the civic amenity centre where I can drive up to the bins and empty the lot in a couple of minutes.

I will continue to do this for glass bottles but will have to use the RVM to get deposits back on cans.

I think I will bring any cans used each week to the RVM when doing the shopping because I will be passing the machine and it will be more convenient to put in c. 6 cans at a time rather than wait until it builds up to 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I dont like the system either, but its here to stay, I was quite happy putting my bottles and can in my green bin at the side of my house.

The big cock up I see with the system is the 1st of Feb should of been the date retailers had to be compliant, the return label stock should of been sold and circulating the last 6 months. Then if the retailer didn't have compliant stock they couldn't sell it and it would have to go back to the producer.

Its 3 weeks old, going to be teething problems. People just don't like change really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

You missed a trick there. Download one of those barcodes and print it on stickers. Thats a couple of pints worth

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

People just don't like unneccessary change really.

fyp

• Advertisement

Sure we were all happy with the older, simpler system, and if more people used it we wouldn't need the new one. I think the system is a good idea with poor implementation

The 1st of June is the date all that all retailers/producers have to be compliant. Making it 6 months before the 1st of February would have had an impact on the Christmas retail season so I'm guessing that's why they didn't do that

At least, we are being told now that the 1st of June is the deadline, what are the chances that will be different when the time rolls around?

People don't like this change either to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Especially change that is inconvenient and costs them time - and sees them out of pocket (because nobody is going to get 100% of deposits back over the coming years despite best efforts, whether because of rollout issues, damaged cans, not being able to retain a can when out and about etc)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

people dont like unnecessary hassle. i worked out that, on a rainy evening, between parking up beside the machine, inserting the 20-30 odd items, walking to the store (my local machine is at a remove from the store) and having to do two check outs, thats taking about 5 minutes out of my time.

i used to put these cans in the green bin behind my house. i recycled.

i have gained absolutely zero from this new system

5 minutes of your time every week for the benefit of a cleaner environment, is it really that much of a bother?

Why 2 check-outs? I always bring my receipt to the same checkout I do my shopping on without an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I haven't used the system yet. We'd buy sparkling water, and as of yet, Aldi has still oceans of stock without charging the deposit. I'm not stock piling, it'll happen when it'll happen.

But I'm concerned reading above the Supervalu only give cash and at a separate til? Has anyone else experienced this? I know it's only small change to some, but the principle of a deposit on a bottle, upon return of same, you get it back. That's where I've got a problem. I don't want to going around with small change when I pay for my shopping with card....

I did take note that when buying a 12pk of mini bottles for the kids, if we get stuck I keep them in the boot, that they are soft-ish plastic and will get damaged before I return them. Not crushed but they'll definitely bend. I presume that's where the gain for somebody will be, when I can't get the deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Bit of common sense would suggest that people will return while they are shopping, most people do a shop weekly.

How is it a cleaner environment? I used put them, in my recycling bin, how is this better?

Now we have lorries driving around to collect them and extra machines mines out of the ground to accept them.

I presume they all go into plastic bags too.

Supervalu only give cash and at a separate til

That has not been the experience at my local supervalu (or any centra shops I've been to) where the receipt that's printed can be used at the till you bring your shopping to. I do accept that a lot of the stores are franchises and not all run in the same manner but it doesn't seem a very efficient system for customers, staff or shop

Interested to hear what other shops have this setup

• Advertisement

So you don't know what the vast, vast majority will do.

And it's not just about shopping. If somebody has a party or any other function they could end up with a lot of empties rather quickly.

What about people who shop online, don't drive and rarely visit the store?

You used to but others didn't, hence the reason the new system was introduced. Those that put their products into the general waste, left them on the beach or in the ditch will now be recycling, hence the cleaner environment

• Registered Users Posts: 82,321 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've yet to see a discarded can or bottle on a beach that would be accepted in a RVM, perhaps I visit the wrong type of beaches. The type of scrote who dumps on the beach will not be bothered by 15c being lost. The level of discarded cans and bottles outside the waste and recycling networks in this country would be miniscule to begin with compared to the overall amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Many people do a shop weekly and avail of home delivery. Not everyone finds joy - or has the time - to visit supermarkets once - or even multiple times every week.

Elderly people are encouraged to avail of home delivery by Tesco - they provide their home delivery for free to the over 65s.

As age has been a feature in this thread, are Tesco now going to facilitate taking back those same elderly customers Re-Turns for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Those that put their products into the general waste, leaving on the beach or in the ditch will now be recycling, hence the cleaner environment

I seriously doubt that. If people weren't bothered enough to separate their waste into the Green bin as it was, they're not going to be bothered enough to not only separate their re-turns, but drag them with them to a RVM every week. Not for a few cents and all the added hassle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

But if they (sit-in restaurants, cafes etc) don't offer take backs, will they be included in the pick up, be given the bags? The hospitality guidelines says it's up to the HORECA business to decide what to do with the cans/bottles so I think they're on the their own.

Re shops not giving discount with the voucher, making you get cash back - REPORT these stores to Re-Turn and company head office! Large retailers have no excuse, franchise or not. They do not get to choose how you get the deposit, this is set out in their contracts and retailer agreement and has been communicated to them from the start. Same with being incorrectly charged deposits, updated barcode lists are issued every week to the retailers and barcodes are provided by the producers. Report any incorrect charges. You can check barcodes on the RE-turn site and there is an option to report an incorrect charge.

I've been to an RVM twice now and successfully used the voucher at the till then against my shop, no issues at all at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's a fook up on the store's part. Of course you are allowed use it to pay for shopping. It's your money not theirs.

They can't do that either. It's your money not theirs, they can't put conditions on refunding you.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

My local Tesco took it off my at till when paying. Lazy on supervalus half if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a lot of really badly run Supervalu stores around. Franchise with a few mini chains within (e.g. someone owns multiple stores) plus plenty of single store setups.

Over on Consumer Issues there's constant reports of mispricing, which I don't see in my local store but it's in one of the mini chains and presumably has someone actually sensible in charge. Other stores are not so lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭SteM

If there's one good thing about this system is it might stop people buying these bloody mini pack of 12 or 16 bottles that shops have been selling. They're a scurge on the environment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement