Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is a farce but not at all surprising.

It was clear from all the drama before the Committees previously that the entire setup was rotten and the way most of them have jumped ship since (with massive payouts), or how Forbes has never even appeared, just comes across as a big FU to not only the extremely weak Minister (but that's what happens when you elect one issue ideologues into Government), the Government itself, but also the taxpayer who is legally forced to pay a licence fee to pay for all this!

But there'll be no accountability, certainly no sanctions or prosecutions, and even if Martin resigns, so what? What will really change?

What's more, I would bet that RTE isn't the only semi-state or publicly funded organisation to be rife with similar issues. When there's no accountability or even competence in the oversight of such bodies, it just leaves it open for exploitation or just generally lax practices or waste - look at what we learned about the Gardai over the last decade for example, or the Irish Water mess etc, or even just what a pain it is to deal with organisations like utility companies or Welfare. Somewhat ironically, about the only one that does seem to be run properly and even helpfully (to the public) is Revenue!

I've said it before on this site over the years... We're a nation that admires the "cute hoor", that rails against any accountability and constantly looks for an "out" when it catches up with us, and when we're not enviously/resentfully watching what others around us are at or "getting away with", we're engaging in our own little bit of shenanigans (eg: even before all this came to light, license fee evasion was still a big issue) or wishing we had the neck to do the same things.

These things happen in politics and these organisations because they are staffed by us! We are incredibly immature, parochial and selfish as a people. Not everyone, but enough that it spits in the face of anyone who DOES (apparently stupidly) attempt to play by the rules and who only ever seem to be the ones who DO face consequences as a result.

It's probably worth a separate thread really - are the Irish capable of effective self-governance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Prime Time still has 2 presenters for a show that's on twice a week for 35 minutes and Morning Ireland still has about 15 different presenters.

So no change in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Remind me, is this still a nothing burger?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Great post. The new politics we were promised was a smokescreen. Reform will never happen. Corruption is rife. We do seem to be flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

News story in the Journal.ie ... Number of TV licences issued in January has risen. Positive news at last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If this is what has surfaced to date you can be absolutely certain there is a hell of a lot more financial irresponsibility and irregularities in that organisation.

The auditors are useless (same audit partner doing the FAI accounts if you can believe it), the consultants are overpaid, the board don't give a damn so long as they line their own pockets along the way, and the government department in charge is clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Sounds like you might like to go back under the boot of British governance or maybe become the 51st US state where two OAP' s are slugging it out to see who controls the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I hadn’t ventured into this thread since June last year as I was posting in the now closed thread. Pretty spot on summation of what’s gone on in the last eight months, cluedo 😂

Ah the "fingers in ears" approach. That's one way to go I guess! Rather than face some self-examination and ask hard questions, let's just throw out lazy tropes about "de Brits" and "the Yanks" so we can continue on as usual.

Anyway, I've posed the question in a seperate thread so as not to derail this one, so feel free to join there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

I would not be surprised if this is the DSP paying for the free OAP licences for the year or there are always more licence renewals in January.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭bigroad

Their hoping for a snowball effect by announcing the good news licence lie.

Its the same as the electric car sales ya just cant believe the rubbish that comes out of the Irish media or government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

BBC Radio 4 Today programme has 5 core presenters. 2 on at a time, often with one on location in a different studio. M-F 0600 - 0900, Sat 0700 - 0900. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

As I said earlier….shut it down.

If you can’t fix something within a short period of time, then there is no other option.

The Politicans are busy enjoying themselves with the high visibility and grand standing.

Maybe it’s time for them to make a decision about RTE’s future, but then again the Jim Hackers in Dáil Éireann are not good at decision making unless it benefits themselves.

After this, there are plenty of other semi state and government departments that deserve this scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

There's a major difference(tens of millions) between RTE's Mourning Ireland coverage and that or BBC. The UK is also much bigger than Ireland.

Regards...jmcc

Just churnalism. This latest resignation is dominating the news cycle.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Off topic but it's an indicator of how sinn feins housing policy would go.

Listening to Pat Kenny and as expected, Martin is expected to come through this - regardless of any personal reservations, her Government colleagues will support her in the face of upcoming elections seems to be the line.

No surprise, no change...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Of course she will unless it is proven that she was told about the pay outs. I think she will now disappear back in the shadows and try keep her head down and make it to the summer break.

Has Davin Power described it as "a bottle of smoke" yet?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Like any other business in trouble, I cannot see why for now RTE isnt being stripped down to just RTE 1 TV and RTE 1 Radio. Rest is sold off or disbanded. Slimmed down staff - other than that Unrequired Staff laid off, given chance to go with redundancy. Then start from there again in a more manageable state. Literally from here forward be a public service broadcasting entity with the 2 stations .. its enough. The licence fee for this most likely sub €100 per annum.

Needs must surely. I realise big hit initially with redundances and packages, but thats a once off.

A seperate example - TARA Mines. All workers left go. Possible it might be back, it may not be be. But no big outcry about that event. What i am proposing above is similar to that in a way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Of course; I get that. I'm just commenting on the resources, in terms of presenters and the hours broadcast in each regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

To be fair, I would class those two programmes as being good value for money. I listen to Morning Ireland every day, and I get a good summary of the days news before work.

Better examples of nothing changing, Joe Duffy still on 350k for 75 minutes work a day, 5 days a week, 9 months a year. Ray "Fat fingers" Darcy, on similar money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

And Ivanna Bachik says Martin has questions to answers. Characteristic sniping from the opposition. Anything to get her name in the meedja.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Catherine Martin is appearing really really weak. I wonder who sanctioned her going on Prime Time and firing the chair. She must have consulted with the 3 unwise men.

Not necessarily. Vardakar, Michael Martin and certainly Ryan don't seem to have any real control over things in general. Plus Catherine Martin is completely unqualified for the post (a political appointment for the Greens rather than competence) so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a solo run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Absolutely @KaneToad .. thats why I said SOLD OFF - Lyric, 2FM. They would definitely stand up on there own as private commercial stations i think. As for TG4, R na G - jury is out TBH. I do listen. While I am a fan of the Irish language and keeping it alive I think I am in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Siuns "Slightly Doddery Grandmother" act as cover for her rank incompetence and being sound asleep at the wheel is an insult to the taxpayers that fund the organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well not saying that you're entirely wrong but I think you're like the person who's downed the bottle of whiskey and then shot everybody else in the room!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Eh, you do realise Lyric FM is about 95 per cent funded by Licence Fee? How, in it's current form, is it going to survive as a commercial entity?

Advertisement