Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Ive no issue with the scheme but one thing if anything it hasn't stopped littering much yet. There's a new mcdonalds near us and the amount of rubbish up the road down to our housing estate.including cans and bottles with the logos.Have actually seen a few people picking them up.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

did you miss the part where i said i already recycled these items?

plus, on the two check outs, read my previous post. The store i went too could not do the voucher return in the same check out my shopping. They had to do it separately and could not take the value off the shopping. to clarify i never said i had to go to a separate till.

this is simple unnecessary hassle to me for zero return, completely nothing of value is being offered back to me. This is complete stick with zero carrott to do something that i was already doing.

you cannot put lipstick on this gorilla

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Lets face it - lots of deposits will be gathered between 1st Feb to 1st June and due to confusion over which containers can be RVMed, a lot of this won't be claimed back. Nice little earner for the lads... and don't give me the crap about non profit. Let's see an independent investigation follow the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Isn't the stat that we were only recycling ~60% of bottles whereas countries who implemented this scheme were at ~90%?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭SteM

Took the dog for a walk this morning. Normally on a Friday morning I bring a litter picker and bag with me and pick up cans, bottles small bits of rubbish along route and then stick them in our bin or recycle bin depending. It's a quick 1.5km loop out of our estate, past a few bus stops and an entrance to a primary school, back through another estate and back into our cul-de-sac.

Of the 90+ cans/bottles I picked up today the following were in a state that could be returned if they had the correct barcodes (I'm not bothered to check, they're wet and dirty)

• 7 500ml water bottles = €1.75
    • 6 330ml coke/code zero cans = 90c

Even if kids decided they wanted to pick them up and return them for 'pocket money' the nearest RVM from us now is 2.2km away in Citywest Shopping Centre, I can't see many kids walking a 4km round trip for €2.65. Would they get a bag of chips for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

The cleaner environment has been heavily disputed in this thread several times.

I could get the money as cash without the club card - needed the club card only to get it as money off the shop. Just to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I see alcohol tins, lucozade and energy drinks around,very rarely see bottles that are used by small children thrown about tbh. It's not really environmentally friendly either to waste a 1.5ltr bottle of water on a small kid that won't drink that amount.

I'm not sure I like the tone implied towards me either,seeming to suggest those of us who use such containers on occasion just feck them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Did you miss the part where i said i already recycled these items?

No, did you miss the part where I said others don't do like you and hence the reason the scheme is needed

What shop exactly did your experience happen in?

nothing of value is being offered back to me.

A cleaner environment resulting from more recycling is being offered to you, is that not a good thing?

Products that were once going to landfill, beaches, ditches etc are now being recycled, not sure how you could dispute that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jj880

For sure. We were in our house 10 years before looking into filtration.

A few years back I noticed neighbour's son pouring water out of a large bottle into their dog's bowl. We got chatting and it turned out the dog wouldnt touch the mains water at all. They were going to a well along the shore walk to get the dog's water.

Now before anyone starts testifying and looking for scientific proof this is just an FYI story. Im well aware it's not proof of water quality. It did however make me look into filtration. Not long after that local councillors were in uproar at the amount of THMs in the water supply. Cancer levels are nearly twice the average in the area in 1 estate thats just below an Irish Water "treatment plant". A glorified shed where chemicals are added to the water supply to mask whats in it. Wouldnt be without the filter now. Only regret is not getting it sooner.

It was only after we got the 6 stage RO system in that the dog would drink filtered mains water. So we started topping up the dog's water any days the neighbours couldnt make it to the well.

Ive had locals in last few weeks ask me about it as not many have RO filters round here. Natureswater.ie should be busier than usual for the next while. For me if anything good comes from this scheme it will be more people looking into the quality of their water supply. The environment aspect of Re-Turn is farcical. Whole thing looks like a poorly though out way of reaching targets and not much else.

Anyway @SharkMX point is for a few 100 euro up front and 100 euro per year service you can drink and cook with your mains water and be at ease knowing its clean.

• Advertisement

I think it would've been better served by our government to tackle the disposable coffee cup and vape litter issue where items as such don't reach domestic waste bins often . Instead they are getting us to remove our domestic recycling from the home and bring them for a spin to get a small deposit returned.

I don't really care if you like my tone or not tbh. I see them dumped outside primary schools or around estates all the time along with soda bottles and cans. Kids just dropping them.

Why waste a 1.5ltr bottle when you can pour some of that 1.5ltr into a smaller reuseable bottle for when you need it? All it requires is a little planning. Are we going out in the car? Yes, then lets bring water with us. Giving them a small single use bottle of water whenever they're thirsty just normalizes single use plastic for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I'll be going around to my local SuperValu (Churchtown) with a bag of 15 cans. Haven't used the system yet so I'll report back with my honest opinion on the process.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Got charged my first deposit. Shop beside work seems to have added it to every drinks can/bottle.

No logo and not in the scheme according to the barcode checker 🤷‍♂️

I'll try it in a RVM when I get the chance.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Not my issue in this instance.

If you read my initial comment correctly, I said keep some in my car in case they need a drink and they've forgotten their water bottle. Fyi my children don't drink bottled water regularly, they use water bottles filled with our own fresh well water. But you must be prefect having never ever forgotten anything, go you.

I read your initial post and you didn't say that. You said

I did take note that when buying a 12pk of mini bottles for the kids, if we get stuck I keep them in the boot, that they are soft-ish plastic and will get damaged before I return them. 

You never mentioned forgetting their water bottle. I'm sure you're not changing your story.

Whether they end up on the road or in the recycle bin they're still a scourge on the environment as they seem to end up being burned or in landfill rather then actually being recycled. Just so little Timmy can have his 250ml of water when he's out in the car. The deposit should actually be higher on these bloody things imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I saw a dog eating another dogs turd once, but I wouldnt read anything into it :)

Id love to see a deposit in cigarette butts. Far worse litter problems there than with already recyclable plastic bottles.

They could have achieved their goal of new taxes disguised as environmental protection with cigarette butts much more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, the reduction of litter argument will be shown to be fairly thin. It's all very well to hark back to the halcyon days of scouring for glass bottles, they were reasonably durable and returnable. The bottles and cans now tossed are far less likely to be in the condition that these machines will require them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There is a plan for a latte levy and a ban on disposable vapes, it's good that you would support these initiatives if they get introduced... Killarney has a deposit return type scheme on takeaway coffee cups that works really well.

It works really well because it was introduced with zero confusion and no changes after the introduction, something re-turn could learn from I think

Actually just looked through the ones I picked up this morning and 2 of them were in scope coke zero cans that were in perfect condition. Just shows that even with 'money in hand' the the owner couldn't bothered to return them.

Post edited by SteM on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Hasnt worked well for the coffee shops near my office

No designated mule comes in with 6 cups of coffee in the morning anymore. None goes out at 11am and 3pm for another 6 cups.

We got a coffee maker to save the hassle of a collecting, cleaning and hauling keep cups for every coffee trip and then nobody was bothered paying the extra for the takeaway cups either, and now all the coffee is made in the office.

Great you might think - less coffee cups to throw in the bin. One of them has just closed down and the other looks to be empty every time i pass it. I honestly dont think they understand why less people are going. All they have to do is give people a cup with no extra charge and they will be back in business. Well maybe they wont get any business back where drinkers got their own coffee machine, but it would be a start.

That’s categorically false.

Can you go ahead and show us on the return website where it says that? I know that’s how it’s being sold on the top level, show me specifically where it states all this no longer goes incineration, landfill or abroad.

Return are simply selling them on, albeit at a higher grade due to the additional work, we the morons, now do on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Almost a full month into the scheme haven't seen one bottle that is eligible. Like srsly wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Oh, I believe coffee cups are next. I believe they're going to add a 35c levy onto every disposable cup.

Don't know how McDs will manage when customers bring their own reusable cups (á la Starbucks). Especially in the morning rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Just dropped off box of bottles/cans to Citywest SC (Dunnes)

22 Rascals cans accepted without issue. €3.30 returned in voucher format. Think I drunkenly threw out the other 2 of the box.

1 Diet code can with the logo - not accepted.

1 Aldi water bottle. Not accepted.

Voucher printed no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Aldi not charging deposits yet on their own brand.

Thanks Rob. The wife had left it with the others, so I said id try it. Just strange the diet Coke can wasnt accepted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I had a sierra nevada can that rejected as the barcode was dented a bit, straightened it out and it worked.

• Advertisement

I'll try it again so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement