Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭rubick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Doesn't bother me the way it seems to annoy other people.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Fanirish

You can rule kings of Leon out as playing in America around EP weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

The script...is it the script?? J.k.

• Advertisement

*Rubick has been Marked Safe from the Kings of Leon*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It definitely looks like Noah Kahan will be one of the headliners, I see he's playing Canada at start of August but on the 13th and 14th he's playing in the UK and back in UK for the 20th. It looks like Melvin specifically moved the EP dates to accommodate that guy it seems.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Wooderson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭dav09

I see Justin Timberlake has announced a European tour this morning in July to early Sept, mostly doing arenas. Would he be too big/ big enough to move a festival for? There's a 6 day gap in touring for him at EP, hasn't played here in years and no Dublin date.

As on Calvin Harris, he has a 4 week Ibeza residency around EP time, he is only playing once a week but doesn't have any other dates around then, hoping he just sticks to Ibeza around then, obviously possible he can fly over for EP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭crl84

Timberlake would definitely be someone they might move the festival for, but I'd expect extra nights added based on the dates, and probably just do another night in Amsterdam after the Friday (as London would surely get a couple more?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Not sure how he would go down, he's definitely headliner level but that tour contains zero festival gigs so I'd think we're safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Body & Soul fest taking a break this year. Hopefully they’ll survive and if there’s a way back to EP then I’d be delighted but I think neither they nor FR want it.

Cian Finn did a great job tbh

Excellent and hopefully he has the stage again, fair chance of the likes of the Bothy Band, Sharon Shannon, Sean Keane, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭dav09

Would love if they involved B&S in some way again but I reckon it's unlikely, I personally think their artistic touch and professionalism when dealing with performers and overall is absolutely top notch, I couldn't give them enough praise. The festival will be missed for sure, have attended every year since my first 7 or 8 years ago. I am delighted it's a "See you soon" instead of a "Bye Forever" for now. I feel sorry for the organisers and staff as all were top notch, I think its demise was more circumstances with the industry, other festivals and COVID after effects, I think if they came back with a slightly different approach, slightly different booking policy but kept it more or less the same and expanded it would boom again.

I'm of the opinion that Cian Finn is one of the most talented musicians to come out of Ireland so having him curate makes sense. I hadn't listened to a lot of his music in years just with COVID/festivals stopping, will never forget seeing him I think in 2018 at B&S for the first time, empty big huge tent early in the middle of the day, mind-blowingly good. Listened to him in the car on the way up to the festival last year and thought "Would be fantastic to see him live again wow", didn't realise he was involved at the time. I was at Fred Again at the front when I made the decision to run from halfway through the set to the Mind&Body area when I got the notification Cian was starting a secret set (although I've seen Fred about 5 times in 3 years), special moment, also seen him pop up and close out trenchtown the following night with Radikal Guru. Hope he curates the area and plays again, it was absolutely excellent I felt it was like a follow on from the B&S days with a slightly different feel. He played a lot and did a lot with B&S and their other festivals/on goings before so I wouldn't be surprised if they were giving a small helping hand in the background still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

Justin Timberlake has unfortunately just stopped including Ireland in all his tours since about 2013 so i would not say him not having an Ireland date has anything to do with EP.

Snarky Snark Snark

surely you've enjoyed some of Justin's tunes over the decades Scruff?

*decades was weird to say about Timberlake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I wouldn't say I'm a fan but I wouldn't have minded seeing Timberlake, although I don't think he's likely to be there. Definitely would rather have a pop act with a few catchy songs than one of the dreary domestic set (Gavin James, Dermot Kennedy, Picture This, etc.).

• Advertisement

Agreed unfortunately lads here would be happy with the same line up of Picture, Gavin, LCD soundsystem, Underworld, Dermot, Johnny Mars, Chemical bros. and people we've all seen before at it.

Snarky Snark Snark

Unlike him, I never lost my sexy so had no reason to bring it back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I challenge you to find those 'lads here', Showpony.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe Electric Picnic should rebrand itself as Electric Dimwit, just for the auld craic. 😁

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I missed my first EP last year since 2014 due to unfortunate circumstances (a family wedding) so looking forward to bringing sexy back to the fest if JT should not arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

What's funny is he's probably actually in that goldilocks zone of acts I would almost definitely go to see at a festival, because I'd realistically never buy tickets to his own show. It would probably be too expensive, and I wouldn't be that interested in going out of my way and seeing an extended set, but in an environment where I'm already there, the set is probably going to be limited to an hour and change, and I've probably had a good few drinks over the course of the day anyway, I'm sure it would be a fun enough atmosphere to go along with.

It's kind of like how there's some films I'd never buy tickets to see in the cinema, but they're perfect to kill time on the airplane on a long flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

Kings of Leon out. Doing a Marlay Park show in July.

He'd be a must see act for me but i know what you mean - I enjoy festival sets a lot more than 3 arena where you can be under pressure to hit the right amount of drunk by 9/10pm without being too drunk when released back into the city centre for the evening. Festivals you know there's always the next act around the corner so prefer that tipping away and going to the end of someone you might know 3 songs by.

• Advertisement

I thought his debut album was really good. Cry Me a River and Rock Your Body are excellent pop singles and he has a few more. Given some of the recent dross he’d have been a big step up.

Advertisement