Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Murray Kinsella saying as of right now, Ulster haven't any plans to replace Billy Burns "As things stand, Ulster aren’t set to bring in a replacement for Burns and it seems that 22-year-old scrum-half Nathan Doak could play at out-half more often next season, competing with 24-year-old Jake Flannery for the number 10 shirt." They are also set to lose Will Addison and potentially Dave Ewers as well as Eric O'Sullivan and James French heading out the door.

No wonder Leinster thought they could grab Tom O'Toole. Didn't realise Ulster were in such a bad way. Hopefully they can turn it around sooner rather than later, I always enjoyed the competitive fixtures with our friends up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think the threat of playing Doak at 10 next season is Ulster playing some barely transparent messages to the IRFU

"Send us a 10 or we're moving one of the more promising young 9s in the country out of position"

Doak was one of the most complete underage 9s we saw in the last number of years and while he hasn't kicked on despite being the preferred senior 9 over the last 2 seasons I still think he has the tools to be an international player.

Richie Murphy coming in might be the best thing that happens in his career.

I wonder where O'Sullivan will end up. He's a very solid prop. But the other 3 provinces have looseheads of his calibre in their ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I really wouldn't be convinced by EOS. He has gone backwards massively after being a very promising prospect a few years ago. He really doesn't stand out for anything good on the few occasions he does play. He seemed to be a big favourite of McFarland's when he first came through, enjoying a huge amount of game time. But that has dropped massively in the last couple of seasons and he seems very ineffectual when he plays now whether in his carrying, set piece or clear outs.

At 29 this season, I wouldn't be surprised if he has to go somewhere fairly low level if he wants another contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Agree he's not going anywhere to be first choice.

I'd consider him on par with Dooley, Wycherly etc. and wouldn't have him ahead of Ed Byrne at any point.

29 is a good age profile for a prop with a good injury record and he's relatively experienced. Connacht could be a shout for him

Deleted. Wrong thread.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If that's the case, Leinster should be worried. The central contract narrative is already being used in relation to Snyman, if Ulster's finances are a mess it ups the pressure on the IRFU to support Leinster less.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think Leinster are in any dire need of IRFU support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Central contracts are essentially IRFU support

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭johnh6767

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agreed. Leinster suffer from not being the squeaky wheel for the last decade plus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well the entire funding system is murky, but I'm not worried about Leinster's finances. We probably shouldn't expect to always have 9 of 11 central contracts or whatever it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Ulster are blaming the reshuffle match to the Aviva for their problems, the business model is poor. Murphy better check into everything before he signs on.

Murphy getting the interim and possible Ulster job could affect Leinster with intakes to the academy. I wonder if his son's would move up north with him?

I doubt it unless the see their way blocked. Hard to get over nepotism claims

In fairness to Ulster, if you have to refund 18,000 tickets at Champions Cup prices, make no stadium beer/food revenues, and still have to pay most of the associated match day expenses you're £500,000+ out of pocket very fast. Any of the other provinces would struggle to absorb a similar hit. It does explain the majority of their operating loss for the 22/23 season.

Central contracts aren't the godsend or hack they are made out to be by some. It can be lazy analysis.

They come with strings, you need more depth to cover them, your team is more disrupted, and your players can end up wrecked.

It is a good problem to have. Always good to have more of the best players but there is an argument that Leinster over the last few years have suffered by holding up too much of the Irish team by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭ersatz

Lots of criticism can be made of the central contract system from a provincial perspective but these conditions aren't them. You get marquee players who the union pay for and who are available for all your most important games. They do not get wrecked or anything like it, the cc system is literally designed to ensure that doesn't happen. The argument that Leinster suffers from having too many good players...doesn't make sense in any way. Leinster aren't 'suffering', they have failed to get over the line in Europe for the last few years because of their own limitations in player stocks and coaching, it has nothing to do with the IRFU or with central contracts.

Well tell the other provinces complaining earlier in the year for having to rest their few centrally contracted players. Leinster have had to do this for a good chunk of their team for the last decade. Also, talk to Munster when they packed out the Irish team during their peak years and how the feeling was that it took its toll on them at club level.

Having the bulk of your starting team play AIs, 6 nations, Summer Tours takes it toll versus training with your club team. Getting the odd week off from the URC doesnt balance out the effort. Look at Stade Rochelle last season vs this season when it comes to their players being involved in international rugby and the impact it has had. I dont think there is an argument that it is easier to settle in with a new coach, like Leinster are, if your players actually get to train with him for more time.

I said it was a good problem to have, but it would be great if the other provinces could carry some of the load of developing their own elite level players.

We are taking about Leinster now, not Munster 20 years ago. Leinster have lost a handful of URC matches and fewer European matches in the last few years. Rugby is about results, are you arguing they would have won those matches if they didn't have Central Contracts? If its not the fault of central contracts then what are you on about?

You ignored the other provinces complaining about resting their handful of players just a few months ago.

Not sure what is confusing, in general of course Leinster would have had a better chance of winning more matches if the frontline team was available more frequently and not being mandated to rest.

Leinster have managed to be successful over the decade of providing the vast majority of the national team because they are an extremely well run organisation. The central contract savings could have been absolutely squandered but they havent been - they just set the next players up.

When it came to the latter end of the last few competitions Leinster lost by the narrowest of margins. Would the majority of their team not having to carry the country give them the tiniest of improvement that could have given them that extra percent in those situations? I would say yes but understand others disagreeing.

Glad we cleared that up. Leinster losses to LAR down to Central Contracts and IRFU meddling. I've heard to all.

• Advertisement

The other provinces do moan about the goodies in the Leinster system. There's no doubt that Leinster prop up the national team and to some extent, the other provinces.

With so many absent so frequently, it's pretty amazing that Leinster are able to absorb the disruption and be a top end team.

You could just as easily say the national team props up Leinster as without the central contracts there is no way they'd have the panel they do. They would not have the pick of the national team and a ludicrously deep panel behind them. Rugby in Ireland is joined up and seen as one system by the IRFU, and thank the lord it is because otherwise we would have difficulty beating Italy never mind being considered among the top teams in the world. One eyed provincial fans have a harder time accepting that as far as the professional scene goes, everyone benefits from the system as it is.

Many eyed provincial gluttons have their hopes on the Leinster squad. The transfer listing coming up should prove that.

It's a fact that Leinster do have advantages. And it's good for the national team but, me, being one eyed hate to lose players to any other province. That's just me.

How long before there's cries for Boyle or Paddy Mc to ply their trade elsewhere?

Leinster enjoying the fruits of the Dublin school system is an accident of geography. Leinster fans naturalize it and imagine that the surplus of quality has something to do with Leinster RFC, it doesn't. As I've said numerous times, relocate the courts, government administration, the law firms, the media companies, the corporate tax haven and half the population to Limerick, Belfast or Galway and watch the schools and all the players they produce follow.

The other provinces are enjoying the Dublin school system 😎. A lot of Leinster school products strewn around the provinces.

Would be fun, not for me tho as I'm a Leinster man. Doesn't mean I can't see the big picture and get annoyed at Leinster fans whining like spoiled brats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I hope i eat my words but Leinster never lose guys like Boyle or McCarthy. There are Leinster guys strewn around the provinces but they are generally guys leinster didn't want.

Its a reality of talent production in ireland that there will be leinster players at the other three provinces, but the only way we can compete with Leinster is if most of our own elite players are homegrown, because generally they won't come from leinster. That's a good thing for irish rugby i think.

Also, let's face it. The number one interprovincial transfer by far was henshaw. You got a world class player in the beginning of his prime for free! And in return you gave away mostly guys you didn't want. Oh no!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I was critical of Munster not making hay in '06 and '08 and using the success to grow Munster rugby.

Leinster rugby could be accused of similar.

Still completely reliant on the school system for players. The occasional furlong/frawley/osbourne is small return from the development of talent entrusted to the development officers.

Yes the academy improves them but they are coming out of school primed for the pro game not just in coaching but in the attitude that has been fostered to S&C, video analysis, nutrition etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Gemma Repulsive Liquor

Players arent absent that often any more with exception of early this year as a world.cup year and even in a world cup year you have everyone available for any big game

Advertisement