Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

There were over fifty players from Kilkenny across all panels in the fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Whatever the reason it can't all be down to underage record. If it were the case then Gakway would be dominating Fitzgibbon. Wexford, Laois, Dublin, Clare, Carlow, Cork(up to their recent under 20 success) Waterford etc would have no representation either. In fact Kilkenny contested more minor finals against Galway than any other team in recent years. St Kierans record would be more applicable since most of those 19/20 year olds would have headed to third level and very little sign of them on Fitzgibbon teams.

Not long ago, it was stated that Cork saw UCC as an academy towards their senior county team. And they're not wrong.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mooz

It'll be interesting to see how he fares out and where they'll position him. Could be centre back with a view to pushing Paddy Deegan further up the field perhaps? A fine hurler by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Its a big coup for o loughlins. I had heard the village were also trying to get him but fair play to brian hogan for getting him. He is a big unit and a very good hurler at joe mac level. Kilkenny senior club is very strong so as you said it will be intresting to see how he goes later this year. I think cian loy is gone traveling so you could see deegan moved up and him put into 6 but he can also play further up the field.

Could we see him in a kilkenny jersey next year?

• Advertisement

I have visions in my head of Mackassey (who is 6ft 5in and build like Lee Chin) wing back on Hegarty or wing forward on Diarmuid Byrnes.

Anyway he hasn’t pucked a ball for OLG yet, let’s see how that goes this summer first.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Marrooned

It will take at least a year for the man to settle into club hurling in KK and as regards playing for KK ye are all jumping the gun

When would Mackasseys first game with O Loughlin Gaels likely to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Village87

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

The Kilkenny hurling podcast had a very good interview with Enda McEvoy. Inevitably the conversation turned to the current Kilkenny team and our general prospects. The general thrust of what he said (and I'm in no way as articulate as he is so don't expect me to quote him verbatim) was that we are pretty much at a max level for what we have but as we haven't seen a strong underage group come through and mature together when the Limerick spell is over he doesn't see us in any shape to capitalise - and that he envisioned us realistically going to the end of the decade without winning one. All of which I think is quite logical and I take no issue with - but sport is of course not always logical and he did comment that if Limerick are bet this year in particular it's pretty much a toss of a coin between Kilkenny and any of the other contenders. He also mentioned the Tom Phelan case where a lad comes through in his mid-late 20's as a case that just shouldn't be happening if your supply lines are right (he mentioned it in a positive light in particular for Derek Lyng who found a lad and developed him to the point that he scored 3 points in an AI final).

There was acknowledgement for finally getting someone in place (Mick Fennelly) to try to bring us up to par with player development (with a likely 4-5 year horizon before becoming effective). Though we are of course trying to come up to par rather than set any novel standard that steals a leap on everyone as we did before (not a criticism - just a reality). My own hope is that such structures and the strong culture of hurling in Kilkenny would give us an edge or help us punch above our weight.

This came to my mind with the above conversation about some lad from Kerry and the concerns around the signs with the Fitzgibbon. Also my own concerns about why we can't kill off teams - taking the forwards as an example we just don't have a Richie Power, Eddie Brennan, DJ, Eamonn Morriessy, Ronnie, Richie Hogan, Liam Fennelly etc etc to score that 30-70 chance that puts a match to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Good spread of experience and new lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I was chatting to him in Doppio the other day and apart from Limerick he thought Clare were building a nice panel and fancies them to go a long way this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Will be interesting to see how Darren Brennan goes …. especially on the puck out strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Anyone want a spare ticket for tomorrow? Ticket cancellation wants to know who died and what from 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Clare are building a nice panel alright and have a good record against limerick but they need to back it up in croke park. The sweeper didnt work last year. Lohan has got the services of the highly regarded polish s&c coach. He was with galway. He has also changed his selectors,brendan bugler is a selector. If he doesnt get silverware this year he could become under pressure.

On the match sunday its good to see fogarty and stephen donnelly on the bench i would of prefered to see them start.The championship will be starting in a few weeks so you would like to see the positions we have struggled in being targeted along with things like puckouts and game plans.The panel will be starting to get smaller so players will want to be performing.

I would hope someone like fogarty or rowe might get a run corner back. I think daragh Corcoran is better suited long term to full back and i would be trying him here instead of delaney sunday.He seems keen on Corcoran at 6 but there isnt many options.Peter Macdonald has a good bit to go physically to get up to this level but derek likes him. Carey will be a help where ever he is played.

Billy ryan isnt on the panel tomor maybe he is injured but he is getting a lot of chances. 5 of the 6 fowards played last year and blanchfield is returning after a few years away so there isnt much new in the attack yet anyway.its being well touted we are short a few fowards. Mullen is becoming our key player. The ground he covers is incredible. We could do with a few more like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Is the game going to be shown on clubber tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

What the feck is going on in Nowlan Park? 14 points to 8 to Offaly. Limerick sending out a big message last night and we are losing to Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭kksaints

6 points down at halftime playing against a fairly strong breeze. Two things: 1- On a boggy pitch the ball has to be to hand, too often we've hit the ball for the forward to run onto but it's getting stuck in the grass and is forcing the forward to check his run and is giving the defender time to get the pressure on. Point 2- Our shooting has been abysmal, we drove a ridiculous number of wides in the first 20 minutes. Cian Kenny and John Donnelly the biggest offenders but every forward has hit a wide bar Blanchfield who hasn't had a shot. Peter Mcdonald has already gone off with Wally Walsh on instead. John Donnelly has been awful, bad shooting, poor passing and he hasn't won the ball that often. Liam Blanchfield hasn't gotten a sniff of the ball. Backline has been mixed, some good defending but too many scorable frees given away. Puckouts have been average, have to wait for fulltime before fully judging them because of the wind.

In fairness Offaly have been very good, their accuracy for the first 25 minutes was top class and they've defended like dogs. I still expect us to win but the players really need to judge the conditions better in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Irregardless of wind we should be not losing at half time to Offaly. Sorry if that seems disrespectful to Offaly but just look what Limerick did to Dublin last night. We haven't a chance against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

And Limerick were level with Westmeath at half time in their league game a couple of weeks back. A half time score that will have no bearing on the Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kentu

We consistently hammer Dublin but no one bats an eyelid when we win, when we struggle for a half you overreact, granted yes Kilkenny have a lot to improve upon no one will deny that.

Fairplay to Offaly, I think they would possibly beat Dublin and should have probably bet Wexford just 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

I was following score updates online but fair to say we stepped up in the second half and a comfortable enough win in the end. How were Darren Brennans puck outs? Any variations or notable difference to what Eoin Murphys offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

No real difference, it was to the 21 or long.

Adrian Mullen best player on the pitch again with 6 lovely points from play. We really need to find a few forwards because outside the 3 ballyhale lads we have very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

This is it. We really lack quality up front apart from the ballyhale lads. Credit to Offaly, they have being good this year in the league so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Not a lot to take from today. Was disappointed it was Walter that was brought on when things were going badly. Just reaching for more of the same old, same old. Didn't understand the switch of Corcoran and Carey. They were obviously concerned with the pace down the middle but Carey kept following his man in into midfield and leaving oceans of space in front of the full back line in the second half.

Adrian was excellent. Thought Donnelly was very good in the second half.

Unfortunately the team is just full of average hurlers and nobody is showing anything to break into the team.

The first 10 mins of the second half was impressive in fairness but it's hard to see where we can create goals from. I've seen Blanch twice now this year against Wexford and Offaly and whilst Foley and Conneely are both really good young players of he's not impacting a game against those then who is he going to be able to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭kksaints

Comfortable enough win in the end. We dominated Offaly in the first 20 minutes of the second half and that was enough. We were helped by Offaly not playing a sweeper until after the scoring burst but the damage was done and Offaly panicked when their puckouts didnt go as far against the wind. Probably should have had another goal or two as the Offaly keeper made some good saves including an excellent one after a shot by Mullen.

Mullen pick of the forwards, some very good points and unlucky not to get a goal. Eoin Cody needs to be kept closer to the goal, he's our biggest goal threat plus he is so slow that it's not worth him tracking back most of the time as he's never going to catch the other player. The ball also needs to be directly to him for that reason. Liam Blanchfield offered nothing today and while John Donnelly was better in the 2nd half he still didn't have a great game. Drennan needs to do more in open player, he drifted in and out of the match too much. Wally did well when he came on but he went off injured and it looked a nasty one and the physio signalled for him to go straight off. Clifford scored a nice point when he came on, he should have came on before Keoghan tbh as we'd pretty much won the match at that stage and we learn nothing by bringing Keoghan on.

Kenny had an off day with this shooting but you see what he offers the team with his ability to link up play. Carey left too much space in the 2nd half for Offaly to run through. Mikey Butler did well enough on Screeney and Blanchfield was his usual self, he needs to be a bit better with his distribution of the ball. Corcoran had a strange match, I'm not sure why he was following his player so far up the pitch in the 2nd half.

I'd question why there's so much space in front of our full back, we seem to be the only team to leave the full back one-on-one with the full forward, it's dangerous enough because if the defender doesn't win the ball it's a clear goal chance. Solid win but there's definitely things to sharpen up on and the players need to be able to adapt more to the conditions based on the 1st half.

Seats in the De Gras Stand could do with a wash, some were in a bad condition.

If truth be told I doubt very much Foley (Wexford) and Connelly (Offaly) were up late the night before losing sleep over having to mark Liam Blanchfield.

He doesn’t bring much to the inter county table.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

Unfortunately Liam Blanchfield is not near intercounty standard , I don't understand what he's done to be brought back in for another go .....as a previous person said it's natural scoring forwards were desperately need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

I'm not going to name anyone that played today but there's too many "decent" club hurlers that are no where near intercounty standard playing today and others left on the bench behind Wally (who was very good) and mossy, this was the time to find hurlers not make subistutions just to get the win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

We all hoped that Blanchfield and Carey would strengthen our hand 1-9, and that certainly looks to be the case.

But further up the field, we look to be making no progress on strengthening our forwards. It's the same 2/3 forwards performing all the time, with the rest patchy at best. 3 Shamrocks are a given and Donnelly probably close to certain but it's any two from 15 after that, and that's indicative of no one really making  strong case.

Depressing stuff in Croker last night. Both teams missed a ton of scores and if both had been more clinical the scoreline could have read 5-40 to 2-27. Galway hit 2-35 today. I'm sorry, but these sort of scorelines leave me cold. Too bloody easy, the rules of the game being bypassed to create a spectacle, will have dire long-term consequences for hurling.

Also, notable that in both Croker games last night, both winning teams (football and hurling) had players that you wouldn’t have looked at twice as minors. Now, bulked up athletes fitting seamlessly in to senior set ups that the rest can only dream of.

A reminder that Dublin football and Limerick hurling have won just one AI minor title between them in 40 years. Kerry won 5 Minors in a row 2014-2018, many of them playing last night, but blown away.

Limerick the same, well o0n the way to having 4/5 of 2019 minor team (probably 15-17 points inferior to Galway the same year) while Galway can barely get a certain starter from that team or any of their 4 in a row minor 2017-2020.

Advertisement