Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Why would I have random Dublin trips?

Cork is 30 min away

People living rurally tend to not "go home for the weekend", they are at home.

People who do that already live in a city

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 12,252 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I can only speak of the people I know and some do lots of ad hoc long distance journeys. Both into the city. But also between where they live and where family live (elderly parents for example).

They should have had the EV market completely tied up years ago.

No matter their bet on Hydrogen all they needed do was push off from the Prius, in parallel. It was right there for them to take and they fluffed it

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Again that's weird though, why move rurally somewhere which is also beyond an EV journey from family. Would have to be a very minority subset

People tend to move into cities, to work, and "go home" to parents at weekends. They are not, then, rural dwellers.

Miniscule amount of people would be born in a rural area, and them move several hundred kilometers to a different rural area

I assume most people don't decide on where they live, work, or have family based on the range of their EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

I am saying so and I'm also saying diesels will still be sold in 5 years (i never said they wouldn't) it's just the roads will be a lot more full of EVs as a result of cheaper EVs, governments putting the squeeze on diesel and the public infrastructure having greatly improved. If you don't think the motoring landscape will not be radically different in 5 years time then you're only codding yourself.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

I think its changes dramatically even in the last 18 months.

Most people who move, for work, move TO a city and are no longer rural dwellers.

People moving rural to rural (several hundred kilometers away, and outside EV range) are a tiny subset

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

5 years time is a very interesting timeframe, If you go back 8 years, there were 4 times more diesels sold than last year. It looks like the number of diesels sold halves every 4 years. So not quite Plutonium 239, but by 2029 I would expect there will be c10,000 diesels being sold anually. Not negligible, but fairly insignificant.

2023 - 27,248

2022 - 28,181

2021 - 35,086

2020 - 38,233

2019 - 54,556

2018 - 68,367

2017 - 85,661

2016 - 102,748

Vast amounts of people work in a city, but don't live in it.

I simply said I know some rural people for whom a EV wouldn't work because they do a lot of regular and ad hoc long journeys. It's not that they don't have enough EV range to do A-B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Interesting comments from the head of Stellantis the other day on the Chinese brands - he was saying they are selling a higher segment car for lower segment prices.. so a C class segment car at the cost traditionally charged for a B class segment car in Europe/US - his point was if everyone else doesn't figure out pricing there will be less than 5 major manufacturers in ten years worldwide versus about 15 now

I think some of the traditional brands will have to do better on price and quality to avoid being seen as poor value and even quality than the Chinese competition.

All will have to work hard not decimate their used cars values in the face of price war on new cars. Because no one's going to buy new if they can buy nearly new at a fraction of the price.

Vast amount of people work in a city but don't live in it? Yeah, I am one.

When I moved to Dublin for a job I didn't move to rural Mayo or into the bogs of Kildare (that came later). I moved into the city. I knew dozens of people, at work, like me. No one moved to Dublin, to work, and lived in the rural areas. At that point a person like this is a city dweller and makes decisions on the same criteria every city dweller makes, around random trips

People who move from one rural area to another rural area (for a commute into a city job) are a statistical anomaly and would not factor into anyone's calculations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

A period when Ireland had 70% + of diesels and no other market in Europe had such a high concentration, it was always going to fall.

It’s hard to buy a new diesel now with most companies moving away from them so I expect to see the reduction. Still wondering how people expect the world to produce the raw materials requirements for batteries to replace all these combustion cars?

Vw, Toyota, BMW, Merc etc will be left, the rest will all be bought out, Tesla I said many years ago will be flogged off and I don’t see anything to change my mind on that

The biggest fall in the EV market is in the likes of UK when people bought car and then went to drive a long distance and hit the issues with charging stations

Ireland we don’t see a big issue because in reality we are a small country and small population, yet EV groups are full of people moaning about charging points

I have used EV since 2016 FYI, so know all about them but I never use the public network

Also the price of electricity has gone crazy, so you had someone in uk swapping from a diesel, getting into an EV, having to stop at charging point(if they found one working) and then paid more per mile than a diesel.

Maybe that’s called people been antiEV but when you pay a premium to buy an electric car to then get screwed when topping up then of course people are upset

Your post is just repeating all the usual social media tropes. You shuld do your own research.

The cost of a topping up on a motorway is high. But vast majority of EV drivers only rarely doing it and then mostly not for a full charge. Tesla's get a cheaper rate anyway on their network.

Because most people charge mostly at home or destination chargers they mostly aren't going to be effected by congestion at high speed motorway chargers.

Public network is always expanding...

"...the latest estimate from Electromaps is that there are 1,055 charging ‘stations’ across Ireland, most of which have at least two connection points, and many of which have more than that. The final tally for individual charging connectors is somewhere north of 2,500, thanks in part to a massive increase in the second quarter of 2023 that saw public charger installations grow by some 129 per cent - according to the EV Country Attractiveness Index (EVCA)...."

The price of electricity hasn't gone crazy. They are just price gouging on the public high speed chargers on motorways etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ah yes, the falling UK market. Sales in Jan '24 fell a whopping -21% AKA a year-on-year increase. I guess if we're going to believe in topsy turvy numbers we should highlight the whopping success of Diesel sales which increased by -10.1%. We should probably just stick a sneaky minus sign into statistic whenever we want to push a narrative where the numbers don't reflect whatever article the Murdoch press wants to push.

It seems a number of people will just read a headline and not care what the actual numbers say.

Post edited by liamog on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't think he said the UK market was failing, but that there was a failing to provide adequate infrastructure for the larger distances people had to travel. e.g. The issues that were highlighted in that Harry's Garage video.

Not doubt that's improving all the time, like in Ireland and so the EV revolution will continue.

In the UK and Ireland to a lesser extent there's an issue with fragmentation of payment gateways for the existing chargers. New ones have to take a credit card afaik so less of an issue. That was one of Harry's previous complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Harry switched from an EV to a PHEV in August of 2020. PHEV drivers aren't as likely to have noticed the massive increase in rapid charging that the UK has seen since then. The numbers have nearly tripled and there a lot more DC charging sites with high numbers of CCS chargers

You have Applegreen rolling out 16 CCS connectors at motorway services in places that previously had 1 or 2 Electric Highway chargers.

He's tested quite a few in the meanwhile. Took the ID3 to London for example.

He's a long distance driver. For sure he gives a representation of what a normal Joe might experience first time out.

But frequent long distance EV drivers usually have a preferred route and know the most reliable uncongested chargers in route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

That ID3 test was many moons ago though. Probably around 2020 or 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grumpygit

LOL. Sometimes you just have to laugh

https://youtu.be/YmVhhaOiJoM?si=xX0aNO4ldYuX_vkJ

i own an electric car, have one for years. just because someone isn’t totally positive on them doesn’t mean you need to go off on one

Electric cars are great but they are just a car with electric as fuel. Throwing out comments about Murdock and reading the headline only adds nothing to the conversation.

I have no problem recommending electric to people and a few of my friends and a lot of my family have moved to them since I took the plunge many moons ago, but I give them a full list of benefit and the disadvantages.

FYI diesel was never as huge a percentage in the uk market as it was in Ireland and they started to dump their problem many moons ago into Ireland, which was one of the main benefits of shutting down the import trade(more or less) for a few years.

You could say you are just repeating the same social media tropes from electric car owners

i do my own research 👍 the vast majority is fine in Ireland but not in uk when motorway driving and longer distances. Ireland is perfect for electric because in reality even a smaller battery will do most people because we are a small country, but then our market is small and most manufacturers see us as fairly irrelevant, like it or not.

In terms of price gone crazy? Well my home bill would say different compared to a few years ago when I first bought electric. I think I was paying less than 0.05 cent per kWh at night but let’s take 0.05, now I’m on 0.17, that’s 183% increase

Dont get me wrong it’s still cheaper to run the electric car but that’s a significant increase.

When someone makes a statement like the below (which is a very common media trope at the moment) despite EV markets expanding year on year I call it out. Perhaps as @Dades mentioned, you meant to say biggest fail instead of fall.

The biggest fall in the EV market is in the likes of UK when people bought car and then went to drive a long distance and hit the issues with charging stations

The narrative of EV sales dropping/slowing when they are still increasing is a real pet peeve of mine.

Average mileage per year in UK is 7,400 miles per year. In Ireland it's 10,500 miles.

I assume that's because the UK has better public transport and perhaps a higher % of population in cities and urban environments.

For sure it's a bigger country and the opportunity for longer journeys are there. Statistically they don't though.

You were talking about public charging prices. At the moment they are going up while domestic and wholesale prices are going down. That has nothing to do with energy prices over the last decade.

You seem to arguing an EV is both more (and less) expensive than a diesel to run in the same breath/post. Will you be selling the EV to get a diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

??????????????????????????????? You could be right.I see a lot of boy/girl racers in EVs and useless parkers

• Advertisement

I already have a diesel

Im having a discussion, not an argument

In terms of electric I can see the benefit and also the disadvantages, you don’t have to be an all singing dancing member of the club. I can also see the benefits of diesel

The point I made was the so called anti EV media is coming from a lot of people changing into EV for motorway driving in the UK and finding out the huge issues. So it’s customer stories, plenty of them on social media like TikTok of owners, not Murdock or whoever you want to fire out. These are not made up and is an issue.

So yes a diesel for those drivers would be cheaper

You said electricity hasn’t increased and everyone fill at home so it doesn’t matter, I gave an example to say it had and significantly.

Again in pro EV which you seem to think I’m not and going on the attack.

Advertisement