Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

"The State recognises the Family as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law, whether founded on marriage or on other durable relationship."

Grammatically, is there not ambiguity here on whether the highlighted clause refers to 'the Family' or to 'all positive law/rights', or perhaps even to 'Society'?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You completely missed the point in the discussion you replied.

The courts if they have to interpret would be looking at the intention of the legislature.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭suvigirl

That also makes no sense. The president cant comment on a referendum.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Betting markets tightening again.

Momentum seems to be on No side in each referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The impression from what I'm reading on this is. That old saying. "If it's not broken dont fix it"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And you're missing the point that what you suggest will be guesswork and in the heel of the hunt, it's the wording that will count.

Why not? The president is the first citizen and will vote himself. He has a view on many matters, no reason at all not to share his views on these matters. They are not of a political nature.

This and isn't it extraordinary how the state wants to move away from the basic essential legal certainty of marriage and proposes to move us into some twilight zone where little will be certain. Marriage and the basic concept of it has existed for many centuries - for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

Hard cases make for poor Law

There will be massive abuse by migrants and it'll bestow rights on people in those countries where asylum seekers come from at the expense of irish Citizens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Augme

Combined it with the marraige referendum and they'll all be coming over and marrying goats. It's an outrage Joe.

The President could not intervene on this to support a Yes or No. Surprised you think he could.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

The president could give his views as first citizen and in the light of his wisdom, on the pros and cons of the suggested changes. That would be useful do you not agree? After all, the president (whoever that is) will have to form a view eventually and they will be at the sharp end initially.

No. That could cause a constitutional crisis if the President were seen to intervene. Its not his role to explain it either. Thats the electoral commissions role.

Terry Pratchet

Who says that it would cause a constitutional crisis if the president spoke his thoughts? Are you making that up?

The referendums in themselves are not party political matters. The president is well known for giving an opinion on many matters to do with civil society.

I suggest that perhaps you are making this up? Would you not welcome his views on the matter and that of Mrs.Higgins too? I'd find them interesting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Minister for State Noel Richmond has publicly stated that changing Article 41.1.1° will have serious consequences when it comes to migration law.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What an amazingly clueless post. You have no idea what the role of the President is.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

No.

I'm not making anything up. The President is not able to speak on the referendums. I'm genuinely surprised you think its allowed.

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The bishops and Iona are telling people how to vote today. That's enough for me. Maria Stein back on air to spread her fundamental Catholic nonsense.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Just heard that. One point made was that any single parent unit who are not in a relationship will not be covered by the amendment.

There could be a lot of situations like that where a single parent is alone and was never married or in any type of long-term relationship durable or otherwise. Has she a point on that?

What if a single woman had a child by IVF and never had a partner or a single gay man had a child through surrogacy or a single person adopted a child. Neither of those examples includes a marriage or a durable relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, a single parent and child are a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

This president seems to have his own ideas on what is proper for a president to comment on.

Our obsequious media never call him out on it though. Maybe if he said something they don’t agree with they might change their tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

Absolutely. The issue is as to whether they can be considered one under the proposed new definition of durable relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Previous case laws main focus was the "inalienable and imprescriptible", but you are correct unless there is a case taken on the new phrase through the courts. It is bit mixed.

Proposed to change Article 41.1.1° text in bold:

Article 41.1.1° “The State recognises the Family, whether founded on marriage or on other durable relationships, as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law.”

--

In the past people have viewed a "family" as parents (Mammy and Daddy) plus children (which many would view as outdated). Now same sex couples can marry and get all the legal benefits form it etc. Fair enough, society moves on.

But this new proposal seems very contradictory for many reasons.

Is the new phrase "durable relationship" simply intended to mean "unmarried people in longterm relationships" ?

But surely that would contradict the phrase "moral institution"? Should the word "moral" have been omitted as that has religious connotations?

Does it mean that single parents (unmarried with no durable relationship) are not considered a "family" under this definition? Or does that durable relationship mean their children?

What is a durable relationship ? Six months, A year, five years? What about people with longterm "friends with benefits arrangements" is that durable? Or religions where polygamy is accepted in other nations?

Does 'durable relationship' mean a familial one? Step children, foster kids, surrogate mothers, etc It could be a minefield. As that would mean single parents have a durable relationship with their children/family.

Surely the original idea of marriage was to attempt to make the family a stronger unit, but it seems that the marriage is no longer a prerequisite for a strong family unit. It was simple. But the proposed change weakens that severely.

See below -

Proposed to change Article 41.3.1° by deleting text shown with line through it:

“The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack.”

That seems to discourage "durable relationships" within marriage rather than encourage them. After all the fuss about the marriage referendum it seems that institution of marriage will be severely diluted in importance with this deletion.

--

Are those who might fall outside the "durable relationships" are they somehow supposed to be covered by the "Care Referendum"?

Article 42B, as shown below:

“The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision.”

But it seems to indicate that care can only be given by members of a "family" - in other words people that are married or in a "durable relationship". And how does that cover hired help/health care professionals. It gets messy as this bond is contractual in nature, is that included? it is not a family "bond". There

--

It all seems very messy, in my view I feel they should come out with some new proposals instead.

I have do decide which way I will vote I suppose.

The Article 41.1.1 change in the family referendum seems like the least flawed of the three if that was on it's own I would vote yes for that. Despite the contradictory word "moral" and confusing phrase "durable relationship"

But I don't really like the fact that marriage is being removed as a foundation of the family. in Article 41.3.1 Moving away from the moral question (which is stated in A41.1.1). How is a dilution of the institution of marriage going to encourage "durable relationships" or even married ones?

Surely the institution of marriage was originally created to encourage the forming a solid family unit? Commitment to each other and the family and so on? If that is removed what is the point of marriage itself other than the legal benefits? Where is the societal glue for the family unit?

A42B should have included those outside the family, it would at least negate what is lost in other proposd changes to me.

--

Probably a reluctant no for the family referendum for me as I could accept A41.1.1. but I would not be in favour of A41.3.1 proposes changes.

And in the proposed care referendum A42B do not go far enough in my view it should at least encourage a more wider societal view beyond the family, if the old definition of the family is weakened, in my opinion.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Imam Hussein Halawa also wants no change.

Presumably you don't want him spreading his fundamental Muslim nonsense either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No I don't. And I have no idea who he is.

I have zero time for all organised religions. They are all based on utter nonsense and make up the rules as they go along. All religions cause much more harm than good. Warped mechanisms for power and control. And just downright weird in the modern age. Creepy men saying creepy things.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Interesting.

So you want people you don't agree with silenced.

Advertisement