Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kerrykartel

I found all that over social media quite bizarre too, so I agree with you there no need of it, but certain actions have consequences not just from a legal standpoint.

While I believe he got over his head with this group, he's not short nor is his extended family so it's a different kettle of fish to a down and out person or persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Saw the piece about them on the 6.1 news. The amount of armed Gardai was a bit surprising, you'd wonder is there a legitimate threat on their lives from that Mexican cartel. That armed Garda presence was definitely not just there to keep back a few nosey locals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

He has three small boys, I can't imagine what it is going to be like trying to explain his absence or the effect it will have on them, everyone else are adults and may deal with it. Now mind you he should have thought of his 3 kids first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Drugs are destroying families all over the country and the world in this case -think of all those murdererd or who have committed suicide over drug debts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I find it hard to believe he was acting alone in all this... there must have been more than him at the garden centre that were at least aware of what was going on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps people should be reminded that people are innocent until proven guilty? 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭cmac2009

That machine was just resting in my garden centre😉.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The crowd outside the court was ridiculous! What's the point of it!

I know the family (and him) and he he has 3 very young kids (oldest only 7). I feel very sorry for them, its awful. I don't mind people talking about it, we all are, but keep it civil and respectful. Moderators are keeping an eye on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 171KYSAM

The 'glee' is a bit much now,, and ive been guilty of it too, but I think its because people are beginning to realise the severity of what is actually in the country, this wasnt just last june that they started this, or the year before that. The sinola cartel has their foot at the very least some way in the door here now, and in a town in the south west of ireland too, if violence comes into play anyone of us could be caught in the cross fire, I dont think N McD was even thinking of the people of Tralee, and the rest of the county and country, never mind his family and young children. He's clearly a narcissist of the highest form and hes put countless lives (and livelihoods) in jeoprady

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭JVince

If crystal meth gets hold in a community, that community becomes ravaged with crime.

For an "upstanding" citizen to be arrested in connection with such a massive haul of crystal meth, even if it was being transported to another country, simply sends shivers up the spine of many.

And you can be fairly certain it's not his first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

He was director of 11 companies that are liquidated,,/to be liquidated worth approx €4.4 million...bound to be questions about sources of finances of these companies now.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

CAB will be all over it, will follow the trail of any dodgy funds and seize as appropriate.

Fortunately CAB works under civil rather than criminal law so the burden of proof is much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Along that line, the lack of sympathy for Leen's kids is notable. They didn't choose what they were born into.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I hadn't heard or read anything about him having kids

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kerrykartel

The Kerry Mexican is godfather to 2 of his kids, but the difference in public opinion is staggering because one is "elite" the other always a "wrongun".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

This place isn't as busy when yee win an All Ireland. Holy moley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I deal with at least 2 or 3 addicts a day coming into my job. Whether it's drink , drugs or gambling. For the substance abusers it's a revolving door of using, prison and homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

That's cos winning the all Ireland is a regular occurrence 😂 Im actually a Dub. We win our fair share as well. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

u know your stuff my friend.... wonder who you are??

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I haven't an ounce of sympathy for either of these **** or the McDonnells and Ballyseedy. I feel very sorry for the staff who will no doubt have no jobs shortly when CAB roll in. The comments on the fb page are from utter imbeciles imo. Referring to it as a mistake and an inconvenience. You don't end up minding 30 mil of meth by mistake and nobody is going to trust someone who hasn't proven their worth with that much drugs. Not his first rodeo I'd hazard a guess. I'll never darken the door of that place again as long as the current owners are connected. You'd have to wonder how the significant expansion was funded. Also come one it's VERY unlikely no other family members were aware or dodgy accountants etc. You don't do an operation that size alone. People must be completely thick. And that c u next Tuesday posting on LinkedIn at the tidy towns as a community pillar.....throw away the key quickly on both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ya, I'm fairly sure that was it. I've no idea what the family are like but I remember feeling sorry for the mother because she had a fairly good business and the son talked her into all this investment which basically put them into debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This. The poor people in Mexico and South America that you don't hear much about, are brutalized by these gangs into working for them. Entire villages and towns are virtual slave stations. All to satisfy a want from some dissipated Westerner for a cheap thrill. And these gangs are beyond hideous, what they get up to is beyond horrible. Just recently, one cartel came up with an equivalent of the Nigeria 419 scam - the emails that tell you send 10,000 to this exiled prince and he'll share 10 million with you. The latest version is, "we're a firm in Mexico that will help you sell your valueless timeshare. Just send us ..." The cartels required fluent speakers of English as this scam was all phone based.

Well, at some point, some of the workers (who were fluent in English, mind, but couldn't get good jobs in Mx or were prevented by the cartels) quit. The cartels didn't like that and made examples of a bunch of them - they hacked them up and left body parts in plastic bags.

That's who is doing business with the CEO of Ballyseedy garden centre.

Post edited by Ciarrai76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kiss my Axe

It’s disgusting, the staff and kids is all I’ve sympathy for, I hope they’ll all be ok but in terms of the garden centre the most fitting thing that could happen to it now is the cartel blowing it up at night when it’s empty. It’s a horrible stain on our town and county now knowing the absolute filth that was going on there. Get rid of it, quick. Leave no trace of that horrible man out there to be reminded of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

stealtech sheds must have got the heads up from the shades ,all the sheds for sale were removed before the garda raid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Outside of this large Garden centre what other types of Businsses has this geezer got ?

Owns a restaurant in Ardfert a neighbouring village 5km outside of Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

There must be four or five garden centres / cafes around Munster. A lot of expansion recently and one opening in newcastlewest also. A burger place too. God knows what else. I just absolutely do not believe there wasn't a significant enough number of people that had knowledge etc. given thr scale of it all. The statement from ballyseedy was pathetic. I do sympathise if certain family members were unaware but a number if people absolutely had knowledge of this. I'd seriously question anyone who goes there this weekend if they are open. It sickens me to my core that Iv been a customer. I'm honestly stunned at some of the fb comments....its like some people genuinely don't understand the serious nature of it. I'm very happy to go without my scone. The staff are the main losers from it all. I hope they get alternative work ASAP as even if they are trading for the moment it won't last going on what's rumoured to come.

Impossible for it to survive seeing that they have CCTV footage of the machine the drugs were found in being stored and loaded into a container in the garden centre that was found in Cork. Surprised it wasn’t ordered to close yesterday by CAB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Chances are they'll have a very busy weekend.

From people who's just having a nose.

Then there's people who want to support the workers/innocent family.(I don't know the set up of who's involved.)

Some people don't reliese the seriousnes of it and just sees Nathan as a naughty little boy. It's hard to tell of their nieve or ignorant.

I might as well ask the question.

Are the family/himself liked?

Was it a shock to the local? I think we've all heard of a business that has questionable finances.

Advertisement