Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolut Megathread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

I would expect its declarable if making a tax return to Revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Why is the service fee not deducted *before* applying tax? Irish tax law allows the deduction of fees when calculating gains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Fair question 🤷‍♂️ I think without doing the exact math you end up better off still over the Bunq offering by time you subtract DIRT from Bunq (2.46% pre tax with 2 withdrawal a month limit).

I use Revolut as my main bank and dislike them as a company as their customer service is shocking and God help anyone who has an issue and needs to deal with them. Inept staff that are only capable of responding from a list of template answers (on loop if you ask for further clarification) like drones is the best description of their abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You can setup a regular payment into a savings account but I'm pretty sure you can't do it the other way

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

I can second this. I attempted to make them my primary bank but boy oh boy the issues and complete and utter sham that is support? No thanks. There is no way you can use these as your main bank with any confidence at all.

Remains just a convenient transfer mechanism for me.

I use them as my main bank, haven't had any major issues

I do agree the customer service is crap, probably my biggest concern is getting access to my account in an emergency

As a general recommendation, I think people should always have accounts with 2 banks in case one has issues

However I just can't justify paying the fees demanded by the Irish banks for their extremely subpar offering

Fair question but nobody can answer it 🤨 I wonder if Revolut have made a mistake with how they apply the tax pre fees rather than post fees.

There are better paying options than Bunq such as Trading212, Trade Republic, Lightyear or money market funds such as XEON.

Try their customer service and ask them 🤣

Already use raisin (marrow, bff and younited) and Trade Republic.

As an existing revolut customer ill use the product for money i have laying around in there making 0 to have it on hand in a couple clicks instantly. But I would not advise anyone to join them for this product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Because the service fee is creamed off applied by Revolut after they receive the investment return from the fund manager (Fidelity). The tax is applied by the Fund Manager. Key point here is that this is not a fund management fee applied by the fund manager, in which case it could and should be calculated before tax. It’s akin to an insurance broker’s fee charged on top of the insurer’s premium and government levy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Fidelity actually charges a 0.03% fund service fee daily as per the small print which is withheld by Revolut and paid on the customers behalf.

That fee is however hidden in the service fees which break down to 0.03% for Fidelity and x.xx (depending on your plan) for Revolut.

optiplexgx270 has a good summary a few posts up.

Thanks. I now understand that because Revolut/Fideility are not applying fees via the fund but rather via an on-top fee outside of the fund, the fee is not tax deductible but a fund fee would be tax-deductible if they had of applied the fee the normal way. This results in the consumer paying way more tax than they would via a MMF like XEON that applies fees inside the fund.

This product has high fees and high taxes. Not worth it when there are better options.

It's a question of balance IMO, none of the competitors with better rates offer truly instant access. You'll still be waiting a day or so for a bank transfer to go through

So if you've got money sitting in a vault that you want easy access to then might as well get whatever interest you can get

If you can afford to wait a day then might as well go with a competitor that offers a better overall rate

Compared to the banks savings accounts which are also instant access, the Revolut savings seem reasonably competitive

AIB probably has a slightly better rate after DIRT (3% pre tax), but you need to pay for a current account

I may be wrong but that AIB 3% is a regular savers right? caped at 1k per month could take a while to get your funds into it too 😉

Oh and I don't think you "have" to have a current account with them to open that account. I have an AIB visa and AIB deposit account and no current account and both cost nothing in fees.

Oh however as I don't have a current account you cannot setup any payees so are limited to 1k once off transfers to irish accounts or a branch visit to move more money a bit of a pain just a heads up.

Correct it is a regular saver, and above €12k the interest rate drops to something pretty pathetic AFAIK

As you said, even if you can open the account without an AIB current account, you still effectively need one for it to be convenient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Referral question: I finally found someone who didn't already have an account and now they owe me money :-) So they're setting up an account. Sent them a referral, and the text message says "revolut.com Revolut UK". This would still be an Irish euro account they set up, I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Quick question...... Can i get an additional Card for my Adult Son on my account and he can use it when funds are on it.

He currently has his own card... that he used in his 'small' business that he uses as the basis of his 'Accounts' etc.

However - I sometime send him €50 to treat the grand-kids etc. Or if he had a major bill (car repair etc) I might send him a contribution towards it.

So - I just want to give him a card that he can keep to himself and not have to account for same on record.

Can this be done...... ??/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You can't get a card in his name on your account. I have seen situations with kids using a card in the adult's name. Once the transactions stay under the limit for contactless payments, no one is ever going to check the card.

That be no problem...... it could be in my name. Most of the time he just be tapping it and so there would be no worries that the card is not in his name.

I do know about the 'kids' card... but as my son is over 18 this would not be the route for me. But a 2nd card in my name that has its own funds is what I want. Don't want him spending on my own cards / funds?? Hope I am explaining myself correctly??

regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

What about a joint account? It’s separate to your own personal account and you would both have a card. Can top it up from your own Revolut account or through a bank transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

If he's over the age of 18, why wouldn't he just get his own account/card and you can transfer him money? Revolut is free.

Sorry, no, you can't segregate funds on the one account. You may well have to go on the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Could you just setup an U18s card in a grandchild's name and he could use that

That's a good idea... will look at that Thanks

Will look at that..... and see it allows me same. I suppose I could set up a grandchild with one and give him the card to spend off it..

he is with Revolut already. Unfortunately his current card is used a lot for business etc in his work (self-employed) and so I didn't want to confuse matter with lodgements coming in on same and he having to explain same to his accountant etc.

I'd say that's his problem to manage to some degree, if he doesn't have another Irish bank account then he's probably doing his personal shopping from his Revolut account already, in which case the accountant will be dealing with that already

Probably best to just straight up ask him if sending money to his account is causing any issues

He probably should get a Revolut Pro account for the business if he's going to be self employed for the long run

Does anyone know if you can get one of the basic current accounts (fee free) offered by BOI or AIB when you have a Revolut account?

Ones of the conditions is that you don't have another Irish bank account, and I'm not sure if Revolut counts in that regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭SodiumCooled

An aside not related to revolut per say but I don't think anyone will ever check the card regardless you insert it yourself in most places - I have often used my wife's or one of my parents cards when buying things on their behalf and never encountered an issue

As above the joint account is a better option of course.

EBS is fee free and is a normal account without any stipulations to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement

Yeah I have an EBS account for this purpose but unfortunately it isn't very useful

Basically, I just need a bank account for the one or two times a year that someone gives me a cheque to lodge

Now I will go out of my way to avoid using cheques, but unfortunately some people just can't get around them

I can lodge cheques to my EBS account, but transferring to another bank is a massive pain. I asked to do it in the branch and they said they can't transfer to another bank for some reason

I could use their online banking, but it's about as bad an online service as there is

So I end up withdrawing as cash or signing the cheque over to my wife, both of which are hassle. I spent 30 mins queuing in a "real" bank to do exactly that today

Having an AIB or BOI account would make life easier because I could use the lodgement machines or go to the post office

Of course ideally I could lodge cheques directly to Revolut using a third party like An Post or Western Union, but I don't see them adding that service anytime soon

I regularly use their online banking and while it isn't great it very useable and certainly don't think its near as bad as you would suggest. Biggest pain is the 5k daily limit which is very annoying but since you are taking out cash instead I doubt you would be hitting this.

Hmm, maybe I'll give it another go, it's been a while since I logged in

One of the issues is my account keeps getting suspended for lack of use, but that's probably an issue everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So does Raisin (Marrow) represent a better savings option, for a Revolut 'Standard' account holder?

Maybe for marrow dirt would be 33% so net interest would be 2.02%. I'm not sure what net rate on revolut standard is

Morrow is a Norwegian bank and therefore from outside the EU. And so, according to Revenue, “If you are a higher rate taxpayer or you have not made a timely return, a DIRT rate of 40% will apply.”

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried the USD or GBP savings accounts? Looks like the rates are a lot better at around 2.52-2.55% after DIRT tax and fees.

Again taxes are withheld by Fidelity so no messing around with paying Revenue directly

There's obviously a double risk of currency devaluation, but it could also gain value the other way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

How can I unterminate my account I some how managed to do it ? Will I need to start fresh

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is unclear to me what you are asking....

Have you closed an account on terminated your entire relationship with the institution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I accidentally terminated my account and I don't know how to undo it 😞

If you still can't access your account and chat, contact us at support@revolut.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I have no idea why but my top up to Revolut from AIB can take a day but if I use Curve Card connected to AIB card then it goes through as normal.

AIB transfer could take hours or over night but with using it on the Curve card it goes as usual the it used to be.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

Are you using Apple Pay or similar? I use my AIB debit card with AP and the top up is processed there and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm with PTSB and if I use bank transfer or card payment it's always slower than when I use Google Pay from the same account. So use that if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Just got a notification from Revolut - Savings account (no limit), 3.5% PA however tax taken at source so net 1.86% (approx.), protected up to €22k

While it's nothing to write home about, better than an Irish deposit account. Question is.... would you trust Revolut with more than €22k? It's in a separate account to your debit card account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

No is the simple answer if you're 100% risk averse

If you'd put 120k into BoI or AIB to earn fcek all on demand,then Revolut are bigger than both those banks,so personally my view is it's not a big risk

I opened one of these a week ago and the interest is added daily at 8am

It's pretty cool to see it earning even if it's not very much,it's tonnes more than the virtually nothing you get elsewhere with demand accounts

Well since it's only protected up to €22k then I wouldn't really trust them with more

I wouldn't trust an Irish bank with more than €100k either

This was discussed earlier, the rates are better than what the Irish banks are offering, but worse than the likes of Trade Republic

The advantage is you have instant access and interest is paid daily

One thing to be aware of is that the interest compounds monthly

So if you add money twice a month then it only increases the interest earned from the following month

But it is pretty nice to watch the balance go up daily 😁

Regarding paying AIB visa card from revolut.

I got an update from a new formal complaint and they have a known issue but still have not done anything about it over the last year since first discovered in April 2023 and how they know how I feel and how it's not what I would like to hear blah blah. Here is 50€ refund on your plan fees go away.

Post edited by optiplexgx270 on

You can take their money, and still proceed with a formal complaint to FSPO, which looks like it will be the only way to put pressure on them to fix it.

The admission that it's been a known issue for over twelve months and is still unresolved is very significant. Did you get that in writing ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement