Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are the Irish fit to be let at the controls?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

If this was the case wouldn’t Ireland have increased the corporate tax rate years ago?

In terms of job for the boys in Europe which gets fired out all the time, what jobs are Ireland politicians getting? We will always have to have a presence in Europe but do we have some additional privileges that would see politicians in Ireland think they will get jobs?

In terms of the thread, it’d just the latest in a constant stream of thread which are never ending to complain about Ireland. If you hate it so much why not head off to another country would be my question? Can’t be good for your own health to live in a country a lot of people seem to loathe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭spuddy

Yes, we absolutely are fit to be in control! There are many brilliant Irish leaders who prove time and again how effective they are.

They don't run the country however, that's done by the civil/public service. They can be great, but only when they absolutely have to be. Two cases in point, the IDA, who are highly competent at attracting foreign direct investment to this country (they had to be as for the first 70 years of our Ireland's existence, our economic performance left a lot to be desired). The other competent body are the Revenue Commissioners (no point in raising all of that tax if we cannot collect it). Most of the rest of the public institutions are mediocre at best, borne out by most international comparisons (health, education, housing etc). Most of us live in (blissful?) ignorance, but every now and then the mask slips. RTE got caught out, as did the FAI, Tusla and a few others, but do you really think they are the only ones? There's a much bigger story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Piskin

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't think Ireland is really any different than other countries which have corruption and incompetence to varying extents.

I do, however, believe that a big part of the problems with Irish infrastructure is cronyism and parish pump politics.

The country is relatively small and a lot of people know each other. The amount of political dynasties is one sign of this. I remember just before the 2011 election practically every adult in the Andrews family held some sort of political position while their cousin Tubbs seemingly had free reign in RTE. Its not just the Healy-Raes who are up to it. Generations of influential families have spread across different levels of the national infrastructure where its not what you know but who you know is what matters.

And a related problem is going up to Dublin on local issues. The Dail is for national matters. Holding governments to ransom to get more investment in the local area is understandably a vote-winner but it doesn't help the country advance. By all means, give the county councils more funding and more powers but the Dail should be used solely for national matters instead of pandering to the concerns of every single constituency.

There isn’t a country or person in the world that is an expert on how to manage the Social, Economic & Environmental complexities of life on this planet.

Unsound Resource management is universal across every country.

And We are some of the first people in centuries thats been freed of Religion so it’s natural enough that people & leaders are a bit aimless or lost in what to do NOW.

I believe nearly every single problem we face today is of our own making.

If we are making all these problem’s then how are we doing that? Our management, decision making processes & policy’s.

We got to start planning Holistically. Very simple to do.

• Voting twice on the Lisbon treaty left an awful stain on democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Perhaps but C & G had a weak hand to play. Negotiations don't always take place on an even keel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....jaysus, someone is a little sensitive when it comes to reality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Ah yes, apartheid ending. PC gone mad.... Good job at showing your true colours though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Starting to go off topic. You may not like my colours but it is the truth.

Apartheid, separate development was a sound policy but successive NP governments abused the policy with policies such as pass cards , immortality act etc.

I believed in that so much so that I wore a SAPS uniform.

Most countries unfortunately are in a worse off position thses days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why?

The 2nd vote had one of the highest turnouts for any EU vote and was overwhelmingly past by a large margin.

Is that not the literal definition of democracy?

Also Ireland were the only EU member who had a public vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Hard to disagree with that, when you see the money that the government are wasting, despite us being one of the most indebted countries in the world per head of population. Six figure pensions to some politicians. The guts of €400,000 per year to Michael D Higgins, between his salary and existing pension. How many hundreds of thousands to bring in pets (dogs) from Ukraine. How much on the new National childrens hospital, by far the most expensive per bed in the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

He lived in Ireland for 4 years between the ages of 2 and 6 , I doubt he had any real interest in Ireland at that age.

However his adult quotes include “ Their [Irish] conduct will never be forgiven in the war by the British people…we must save these people from themselves.”

and “a small poor, sparsely populated island, lapped about by British sea power" along with “We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

Post edited by nachouser on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

His description of Islam has truth in ever syllable.

• Advertisement

The acceptable face of racism raises its ugly head.

Its always ironic when Colonialists frame themselves as the virtuous face of expansionist domination and cry fowl of anyone else doing a very similar thing. Before you cry fowl, ask the millions of Bangladeshi's who starved at the hands of Churchill, or of Boers who died in British concentration camps - or closer to home the millions of Irish who were allowed to starve due to British inaction.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Milominderbender

Anyone who thinks Irish people run Ireland is incredibly naive. Just look at our nation's foreign policy for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Islam is not a race. Islam spread out of Saudi Arabia on the tip of a sword. They are just as colonial as the British.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Plutarch

There are competent, dedicated people all over this country. They just refuse to work for or in an idiotic state that takes 60% of their wealth and squanders it on shite.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

First of all we did not vote twice on the Lisbon treaty and the only stain is your demonstration of your lack of understanding of how our democracy works, or maybe you just don't understand how a negotiation works....

When the Irish people voted to change the constitution in order to join what was then the EEC and now the EU, they deliberately restricted the role of the government to only negotiate on their behalf only. And that means the people must be consulted on the out come of each round of negotiations and they are perfectly free to reject a proposal and send the government back for another round discussions and continue to repeat this process until they get a solution that is acceptable to them. That is how negotiations works. And as the treaty approval process now involves the approval of 38 regional and national parliaments, plus the peoples of three or on some occasions four states the chances of having to vote several times on the outcome of negotiations is a real thing.

Nothing in our constitution restricts us in any way from reconsider a matter as often as we like and rightly so, times changes, circumstances change, peoples attitudes change and so on. And we'd be very foolish to put any such restriction on ourselves.

The only people coming with this nonsense about voting twice on the same thing either

• Fail to appreciate how our democracy works
    • Are seeking an excuse for their failure to convince the voters of their cause
    • Are seeking thwart and deny us our democratic rights as set out in the constitution which was enacted by the people.

Ireland and Switzerland (where I now live) have one of the strongest forms of democracy around as they both have a sovereign people. The people, not parliament determine the destination of the nation and unlike most other countries, only the people can change the constitution and parliament is subject to the people.

And you'd do well to education yourself on just how well our democracy works before making such statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Na. The IMF will be back in the UK before they are back here. The UK economy will go bust in the next decade sometime.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...plenty of competent and dedicated working for state also, many complete gangster's working for both the state and in the private sector to though, doing everything in their power to extract as much as possible from the state, and maintaining the status quo.....

...childrens hospital.....

....doing everything to maintain elevated property prices...

...the list goes on and on.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The two are not mutually exclusive. The UK if it falls over will be due to trying to fund a third world country (NI/Scotland/Wales/Northern england) on the income from the city of london. Our collapse, if it comes, will be if FDI withdraws en masse and we have not replaced the high rate of corporation tax take (in euro, not %) we currently enjoy.

Don't feed the new-reg!

I agree there have been a lot of problems here, which is the point of the thread really, "are the Irish fit to be let at the controls?" I'd suggest NO.

The problem is, who do we go to? The US is a basket case, the UK is eating itself, the Germans (and thus the EU) is in recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Fair points well said.

You say "everyone and their dog wanting to live here"...well, we have plenty of space, a moderate climate ( not too cold, not too hot ), are a member of the EU, are English speaking ....so have a lot going for us.

"everyone and their dog" wants to live in other western countries too. If you are a poor uneducated person from the third world you certainly will not get in to Australia, America or most developed countries either. Not easily anyway.

Certainly though far away fields are green and property prices are also expensive in most of the developed world, especially in nice areas or big cities.

The joys of pedantry.

People who hate Muslims are racists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

islam is not a race is not a get out clause for racism.

using islam as a way to attack people is racist.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Anyone who thinks Irish people do not run Ireland are morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Racist this and racist that, Islam is an ideology something that doesn't agree with western liberal values that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

By that logic if you don’t like Lisa Smith coming back to Ireland then you are racist, even though she’s ethnically Irish. Islam is a religion and is open to criticism like any other. The same posters pushing this now have no problem criticising the Church, a few years ago it was ‘all religion is poison’ but that was dumped for the lefts love of Islam. Which is frankly bizarre as it’s far more adverse to the ideologies of the left.

same as catholicism or any other religion.

the bare basic stuff you get in a church in ireland is not the full teaching of the church or the religion.

anyway, if you use religion as a way to attack someone because of the color of their skin or their race, then that is racist.

that is just the full and unfeathered fact and reality.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

no, simply not liking the fact lisa smith came back to ireland is not racist.

islam is open to criticism yes, but that is not a get out clause for racism.

criticising islam as a way to attack someone is racist.

criticising islam or any religion without using it to attack people is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is the greatest crock of excrement I ever read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

You sure. A country that owes approx 240 billion and not a cent paid off our debt.

Yet throwing millions at white elephants such as 1 billion to NI and god knows how much on every waster from around the globe being welcomed to join us.

Ireland has a very buoyant but small non diversified economy. When the fdi money goes which it will , the old and new irish will be back to eating grass.

Unfortunately it's normal people will suffer, not the architects of this crash.

I take zero pleasure in stating this , hopefully it doesn't happen within next 5 years or I will be on the grass diet also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Well strictly speaking, the French and the Dutch voted on the European Constitution and rejected it, at which point further referendums were cancelled. What was going to be the European Constitution then morphed into the Lisbon Treaty. So effectively three countries voted on it.

Where are you getting this from you moron??

Ireland's national debt peaked at 133% of GDP 12 years ago.

Its now at 58% of GDP and falling towards a projected 35% of GDP.

The figure in Euros is meaningless! Our economy is one of the most diversified in the western World. FDI is not a sector; biomedical is a sector; Fintech is a sector; microchips is a sector. They don't all fall and rise dependently!

Here's a graph below of the actual burden of debt on the Exchequer, relative to the spending power of that sector.

In the meantime, maybe take an evening class for yourself in Macroeconomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Please explain why the euro amount of our debt doesn't matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Yes... and no.

Depends which Irish we are talking about. Our current front bench is the worst I think in the history of the State.

Varadkar, Martin x 2, Ryan, O'Gorman, McEntee, Donnelly, Harris, Foley, McConalogue all sub par. Some first time TD's given senior ministries, seriously? All may indeed be very nice and committed people but I would consider failing in their briefs and the main opposition will be worse which is a very, very bleak vista. Idealism trumping pragmatism. The sound bite over the hard choice. Too eager to be seen as good boys in Europe where again we send sub par politicians imo who don't fight hard enough for the country.

This is/was the golden chance to fix health, education, improve equality, Infrastructure etc. Politicians from the 80's where there was no money and little hope would weep at the waste. The Children's hospital just the latest cherry on the cake. It's slipping through our fingers.

I posted on another thread that some family were paid 130 million since 2020 to house refugees (an issue that has been swept under the carpet until the public decided that had enough of being Gaslit by politicians).

I also posted a link to to a Barnardos study... (Rte not Gript) "which found that 41% of parents have said they had skipped meals or reduced portion sizes to enable their children to have food. Absolutely shameful.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0227/1434595-food-survey/

I think a first step would be to halve the number of Politicians and pay them better, But something has to change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think a first step would be to halve the number of Politicians and pay them better, But something has to change.

If you halve the number of politicians you will be trying to form a cabinet out of 40-50 people. You think that is going to lead to a better front bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Find me a non corrupt government. It's impossible, you can only minimize the corruption by setting good legislation and checks and balances. In a free country it will always look terrible because they can't hide it as easily or indefinitely like they can in an authoritarian state. We should definitely continuously push for more policing of government and corporate power, as much as possible, it's like trimming your hedge, it's a necessary chore, heads must roll on the regular to keep leaders someway straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

There will be 168 I think in the next Dail. So 80 or more to choose from but hopefully better qualified to manage departments. One Healy Rae instead of two and 30 teachers back in school. No need for so many junior ministries either.

If you and your partner take home €6,000 a month and get a mortgage on a €350k house, with all else being equal, your repayments will be about €1,300 per month, or 22% of your take home pay.

But if we come back to you in 5 years, and your monthly take-home is, say, €8,500 a month and increased interest rates have pushed your mortgage repayment to €1,700 per month, the overall burden has actually dropped to 20%. And your asset value/equity has probably gone up by 25% in the same period too.

But the Irish economy didn't just increase by 40% in 5 years, like our household above.

It has actually increased by a stonking 175% over 12 years, so even if the Euro value of debt hasn't changed much, the overall burden on us has dropped like a stone, as I demonstrated above.

*Irish sovereign debt issue is the most in-demand and cheapest in Europe. Calls by the Treasury Management Agency to issue new debt/bonds/paper are always WAY oversubscribed by the market.

*The Treasury Management Agency has been able to consistently re-finance our crisis era debt for cheaper rates, so secure is it, even in an era of rising wholesale rates.

*National debt is accrued by the annual Exchequer deficit (more expenditure than income). Ireland doesn't have a budget deficit, we have, in fact, a €10 Billion annual SURPLUS. This means we can pay down debt AND set up several strategic and sovereign wealth funds to insure the economy against knocks in the long term. Ireland had NEVER had the capacity to do that before. In fact, very few Countries ever do.

*Ireland's population is growing. Not as a burden, but actually as one of the most productive in the World. We have high skills and full employment, which means any debt burden is further and further diluted by fundamental growth, not any kind of temporary or artificial returns from any particular sector.

So there you have it. The Euro amount of debt is not important. Not even a bit. Its all about the burden. And we don't actually have one. Not anymore.

Its always made me wonder why the current Government is so reticent to shout all this from the rooftops? Probably because public sector project management is so bad. But thats another story.

Let me leave you with this:

Don't take my word for it. Find Ireland on this graph below, and you may be pleasantly surprised. And this is EU level data, not anything that may have been manipulated here in Dublin. And stop worrying for Christ's sake, go out and make some money for yourself while the good times roll.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You can only chose from those in your majority...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

How this gets so many likes from Irish people is shocking . They’d probably the be first to call themselves patriots yet fawn over a … who implied we’re inferior and who sent death squads to murder us in our droves.

Post edited by .Donegal. on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Such people always seem to be willing to accept one of two causes for thing not going the way they want them to:

• There is secret organisation behind it, although never seem to have a clue as to who this might be and please do not upset them be asking for factual evidence
    • If all the voters were only as smart as me, they'd have voted differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Increasing our airport capacity whilst culling cattle is another anomaly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The classic wink and nod approach, where they are so smug they really have no clue at all.

Advertisement