Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me choose an EV

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Congrats DancingDaisy1. Did they have many in stock? Sounds like things will be tight in terms of availability for the next 6-9 months at least so ye were lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,673 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tesla "do" take a trade in. But all they do is pass the details of your car on to 3 traders and then report back the highest value from those traders to you. They won't even look at your car. You'd be far better off money wise if you sold it yourself privately. Or at least offer it to traders like Zucar yourself to see if they offer more.

Thank you :)

The car we bought was literally the last EV the dealership had in stock. There were 3 other people looking at it and it was first to come with a deposit, got it. We were lucky, we got there first. I think the cost of diesel/petrol has people in a panic.

We're hoping the price of our finance plan would equate to what we'd be paying for diesel per week.

It should hold its value pretty well too due to the likely shortfall in supply in the future used market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

What EVs are 'equivalent' to the ID4 and EV6 in terms of price and size?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

The Hyundai Ioniq 5 is based on same platform as EV6. Same size car, probably more rear headroom & boot space.

It's priced cheaper than EV6 with smaller battery & lower spec versions.

The Skoda Enyaq and Hyundai Ioniq 5 are pretty much direct equivalents respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Any thoughts which one is best? I think the EV6 is best looking but my head says the VW is best quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Summer2020

The Korean ones (Hyundai and Kia) are a generation ahead of the Germans in terms of charging technology. The Kia will charge at a much higher fast charge rate that the Skoda or id4

@BailMeOut , worth watching this which gives a pretty good run down of the above plus a few other brands and is quite entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

Don’t be fooled by the brand name. I traded in my ID4 for a EV6 after 9 months. Terrible, annoyingly slow infotainment system and mine was back in dealers a couple of times getting creaks and rattles sorted. No such complaints about the EV6, better car and I’d go as far as saying better built than ID4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,673 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Korean cars are the best built cars in the world and have been for quite some years now. Don't take my word for it, Bob Lutz himself said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

I'm resurrecting this thread as we never did buy an EV back in 2022, however we are all set to buy one in the next month or so.

Between my wife and I, we've test driven the following

Inoniq 5

ID4

MG ZS

EV6

Skoda Enyaq

BZ4X

Tesla Model Y

For me the Tesla Model Y was the best test drive experience. I spoke to their helper 3 times on the phone, once at the beginning, middle and end of the drive. I had the car for an hour and drove it on many different types of roads. I had time to explore a lot of the different functionality in the car and found it a great drive.

With the others I'd say the most we got with them was about 15 minutes, is this standard or would it be possible to go back and get one of the cars for longer once we get to a shortlist.

Also are there any other EVs we should be test driving, maybe the Atto3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, they are all good cars. But I feel you are correct, the Tesla has the edge over the rest. Simplicity of operating, first class software, updates, ranger service, heatpump, Supercharging, etc etc. BYD have a taller version of the Seal coming soon, may be worth keeping an eye on.

We have a Model 3 and an Ioniq 5. Both very good cars in their own ways, but we are getting tired of the number or faults with the Hyundai, having to go to a frankly incompetent dealer first to be diagnosed then often wait for a part and return again. A previous time they even tried to charge, because they said they did a software update that was supposed to be free. For the first service they quoted €440 for basically nothing except more updates. Have changed dealership now so they charged €200. Now she has the charge door sticking problem, car has to go back later today to be diagnosed for this fix. I think the missus will be going Tesla next time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭MarkN

Do not be shy about asking for a car for the weekend. If needs be say Tesla gave you one for same.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭yermanthere

@funnyname that's a lot of test drives, even if only short. Care to gives us your thoughts?

Not to sit on the fence they're all great cars in the own right, differences are slight and driver dependent.

First time driving an automatic and combined with the regenerative braking it was a pleasure driving them.

However on price, driveability and on going maintenance and servicing I can't but think Tesla is the winner.

For instance Kia want you to bring the car in for a service every 15k kms to maintain warranty and say tires also only last that much. Similar from other legacy ICE manufacturers but with Tesla it was all monitored over the air and they'd let you know when anything needed changing.

I've always liked the Tesla but after yesterday's test drive nothing else came close, maybe the Enyaq being a distant 2nd.

We're also going to test drive the atto3, they seem to be coming at it from the same angle as Tesla rather than playing catch up like the Legacies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It sounds like you're just trying to justify the Tesla spend now 😂

Go for it. Great car. I love driving mine (or mostly letting it drive me).

I'm a Model 3 owner. Haven't driven the Model Y, but i'm sure it's quite a similar experience.

Stay Free

Not at all given the Tesla is the nearly the cheapest of all of them, €42k is unbelievable value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yeah I was just pulling your leg. I wanted one from the moment the Model 3 came out. When I test drove one in the spring of 2022, I couldn't wipe the smile from my face the whole time. It was a bit pricier back then and I had settled with putting a deposit on a 40 Leaf. It was thanks to Nissans broken promises (no delivery date, no price guarantee and no 0% finance guarantee) and my need for a longer range car than my 24 Leaf that made me order the Model 3, which was delivered within weeks after my order in Sep 2022.

Stay Free

Advertisement