Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

“So I think going forwards, we have to plan that that is the new normal rather than, you know, 3,500.

I am not sure what you are talking about, the government have been quite clear that they want a significant increase in immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You missed the “Predictions in this area are always difficult but I suppose..” bit - so basically he is guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Examiner article (linked previously in the thread) states that 1,774 AS arrived in January - 1,774 x 12 = 21,288 pa, so yeah you're right, O'Gorman's "guessing" is way off the mark - but not in a good way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It’s not quite as easy as just multiplying by 12. Something strange happened last year. From February to June there was a significant drop in numbers, very roughly - down by 40% on the same time the previous year. Then it shot up again for the last six months of the year. I’d be interested to know why that drop happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭star61

Ah Sher, I grew up in the age for like … it’ll all work out . I paid my way through college … 2 jobs 🤣 superstar now - finished up in 1995 - no actual job after … that I could get - but worked as a washer upper in the best hotels in Dublin … with several more qualified than me… academically … and not … we all got on. We didn’t emigrate .. we loved here … this was our home.. we never left Ireland. We all have very successful businesses now … but we still love here. )

everyone coming here now but they still have their own country to go back to… no multiculturalism for all. I don’t know what to think really. Am I to old to have an opinion…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

O'Gorman is not saying he wants asylum seekers to come here - he is simply making a prediction on the types of numbers that would be expected to claim asylum in future (it would actually make his life much easier if none came at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Roderic O' Gorman has explicitly stated that he has an asylum quota of 15k that he wants the the taxpayer to provide own door accommodation to.

He sent tweets in all the languages of the world calling people to come here.

If you are genuinely trying to suggest that Roderic O' Gorman (who is a minister of state of this government) is not trying encourage asylum cases, then you really are not a person who is interested in serious debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hundreds of thousands of extra people have arrived to live here, more are arriving, more will arrive and the government response is to delay capital projects that we already need…for the current population… one example…

Metro :

planned to be operational by 2027…. Now the ‘earliest’ is 2035…

not a 2,3 or 4 year delay…. 8 years FFS…

nutsville.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

I wish there were a political party that actually had a plan.

As other posters have alluded to filling up hotels to the brim snapping up nursing homes if there's a possibility of converting them and generally bending over backwards for new arrivals is absolutely unsustainable.

I have saw pictures of the ever growing tent city outside the IPO in Dublin and it fills me with anger.

The opposition party offer so little of an alternative that it's plane to see voting for them was a complete waste of time.

Both sides of this argument seem to agree that a speeding up of the asylum procedure is the way to go.

That won't do anything if the accepted rate is at 40%.

The acceptance rate needs to be cut to 2% or ideally as close to 0% as possible.

Otherwise it's no solution at all.

Remember that those accepted enjoy the same rights as Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Roderic O’Gorman is a very modern minister. He is more led by good intentions than reality, he’s like a fair cohort of people in the media also, who won’t criticise him or the Government for being too slow to take steps to halt immigration.

Many of them didn’t want to see that platitudes about the Irish having gone everywhere and don’t we know what it’s like to have to emigrate etc are useless when it comes to taking in hundreds of thousands of people.

Utterly flawed thinking has led to 1000 homeless immigrant males along with a housing crisis and the disappearance of a large part of the tourism industry.

And yet only a few weeks ago Eamon Ryan went on national radio and said that Ireland is not full. He’d probably say the same if another million immigrants arrive this year.

What a time to be alive, when fashionable thinking can trump facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

I personally think a lot will be blamed on O’Gorman when the finger pointing g starts come election. While he tackles immigration with good will and enthusiasm I wish he would apply that lack of facilities / school places and professionals for children with Authism. You have a better chance of economic migrant getting housed in three months than a authistic child getting a school place. I’m sure lefties here will be along to lecture me that i’m wrong on that. But i have skin in that game and can say with certainty that’s the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Ireland always as long as I can remember had limited infrastructure.

Ya think because we have mass immigration into the coutry. Mostly people looking for freebies. Its going to change?

What's drugs are people on?

The only thing the money should be used for now is to improve what we have and pay down our debt.

Not keep this ponzi scheme going.

Only people benefiting are the connected business heads promoting this shite.

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

A thinker now totally out of fashion, wrong on many big things but not worthless when it comes to analysis, Karl Marx, said that big business owners seek to create a permanent "reserve army of labour" so that there will always be people around who are prepared to work for very low wages in temporary jobs.

The business world, Chamber of Commerce types quietly favour immigration and pulls strings in the background (through lobbying).

I question how enthusiastic they would be if it were the case that all migrants were being paid the same high wages as Irish people? I think we would have less "job opportunities" hence less people would arrive.

Please don't be a blockhead who says "it's great for the economy!". First of all 'the economy' is an abstraction. Wage deflation and an increased labour force helps some businesses, which increases GDP and brings more taxes to the Exchequer. Great, right?

But can anyone guess the downside to wage deflation? If your own salary is on a plateau while other people's wages are decreasing, you're benefitting from a two-tier society. It's also a subsidy to businesses which can't balance their costs in a normal way, or are just greedy.

Whether its immigrants themselves who are being under-paid, or native Irish people's wages who are being deflated by a huge contrived increase in competition, it's pretty difficult to justify imo.

Why would he want asylum seekers to come here? They represent a net loss to the exchequer and the State - it would be much better for his department if none came at all.

It would be like claiming he wants the prison population to get bigger or the numbers of homeless seeking state services to increase.

Because green party support immigration. It’s part of their ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This is a party that is very positive towards illegal immigration.

It’s like a group of well meaning sixth class students were put in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Its up to the govt to get people into employment.

We have too many open job vacancies. We need people to fill them.

The Govt need to do more to get working age folks into employment, that includes refugees and irish on the dole.

We need to stop incentivising people not to work by giving them social housing apartments, rented from the private sector, with market value of 2.5kpm rental income.

Meanwhile, teachers and nurses have to move abroad because they cant afford to rent and dont qualify for the 2.5k social apartment in South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It probably is quite as easy as times 12 - As I said previously, 1774 came in Jan with the lads knowing they were going into tents and they still came - I'd expect a massive increase in the better/warmer months to follow. We're well on course for 1650 in Feb as demonstrated below

gov.ie stats show arrival reports 4th, 11th, 18th Feb 2024. These show 1103 to date - Next report up to 25th Feb will likely show at least another 350 for that week (avg of 50 per day) which will see the total at 25th Feb - 1450 with a few days to run (another 200 for those days) giving a likely 1650 for Feb

That's not far off the 1774 for Jan and I'd say it will continue in that vein for the rest of the year

Nigeria accounts for the bulk of arrivals as McEntee refused to put them on the safe country list (even though O'Gorman wanted to) - If Nigeria was on the safe list, McEntee wouldn't be able to fulfill her 'fast track for safe countries' promises and she might look bad...

I have news for you Helen, you couldn't really look any worse

'Supporting' immigration doesn't mean they want increased immigration though - merely that they are not in favour of very tight restrictions on it.

The current immigration rules allow immigration to fall, not just rise. For several years in the early to mid 2010s, we had net emigration from the country - more people leaving than arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Let's face it, if there was a surplus of housing in Ireland and the cost of living was allowing people to live comfortably, the number of immigrants could increase ten fold and no one would bat at eyelid once the status quo wasn't negatively impacted by it.

The rhetoric around Ireland being a hotbed of far right beliefs etc is pure hyperbole.

When you pit people against each other for limited resources you get the situation we have in this country now.

Intolerance isn't the issue, people are genuinely and rightfully afraid of the negative impact immigrantion is having on them and the people peddling the "you're all racists" waffle should be ignored but they're the ones setting the agenda to begin with so the whole situation is a disaster from start to finish.

If anything has the potential to create a real and tangible far right in Ireland it is this issue and how it is being handled by the establishment, tell people they're bigots and fascists for long enough and they may well just head in that direction because they're being accused of it anyway.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

well eamon ryan wants the population of ireland to double.

http://irishenergyblog.blogspot.com/2017/01/green-party-want-to-double-population.html?m=1

No demographer has ever predicted the population of the island of Ireland to rise to 10 million, so I don't know what he's talking about here. Current estimates are that the population of the Republic might hit 6m by 2050 and not go much higher than it after that.

Well its the green party. Two briefs they are in charge of they are making a **** show of it. That’s all i’ll say on the matter,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

In many cases a person is much better off staying out of employment(or the level needed to be disqualified social supports) and availing of government assistance. That’s probably a large of the problem.

In the past people didn’t want to end up in social housing in rough areas but now your in a new build estate with a neighbor beside you who is either a tenant paying big money or a family after forking out well over the odds(after the council and letting company’s drive the prices up) for the same thing you get for “free”(compared to what the other two are paying).

I did the maths a few years back (2016-18 I think) before I was settled in my career, I would have been better off on the dole and doing a few nixers if I could avail of HAP or a social house - that’s without factoring in the 40 hours a week I’d get back to myself not having to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

What i find interesting is the reason the D hotel have given for not wanting dual use is "child protection issues"!!

Is this not an admission that there are child protection issues from taking in hundreds of male asylum frauds? So the good people of Drogheda are supposed to just put up with these "child protection issues" in their town?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah here, I'm going to buy a €1 house in Italy. Do it up and live up the side of a mountain with me goats and cats and a pizza or two. This island is a mess.

Complete list of Italian villages offering houses at 1 euro — Lisbob

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

There are no child protection issues. The hotel owners are just shutting down talk of duel use including tourists. The profits come from asylum seekers and after a while most of the staff can be got rid of, increasing profits again.

In saying that, suggesting that the asylum seekers could include paedophiles amongst them is a low argument to make for not taking in tourists. I can't understand how they have been let off the hook with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

The population of Ireland has gone up by over 1 million since 2005. I don't see why if current trends continue we won't add a few more million?

It hovered around 3.5 million of most of the 80s and 90s.

1950 to 2024.

Post edited by donaghs on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement