Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Wales. Sat 24th Feb, 14:15 RTÉ2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

Well the poster is usually a poster of few words but my take on that post is they're unhappy with our cards as much as Wales not getting one

Must have been watch a different game from the one I was watching

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sloppy enough game but nice to get the bonus point

At the stage a BP win is only acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s bizarre some a the commentary. As if we should be showing up “error free” and hammering these teams easily…. Always the same. We can’t just enjoy winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Weird game. Felt like we were close to putting 50 on them. It actually sums up the 6 nations so far for us. We haven't had to be anything more than good. We are just very well structured and that's enough at the moment.

I think the England game will be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Tadhg Beirne is Phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

didn't think they would get the BP 12 mins out but fair play , got the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pretty much as I saw it, sloppy handling away from a 50 point smashing. Can't really complain though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Of course we can enjoy winning. But when you say "these teams", we are talking here about playing at home against a very callow Welsh team who are at the beginning of a rebuilding cycle. I would argue that there there is nothing bizarre about highlighting the shortcomings and deficiencies of the teams performance. If we aspire to be the best team, we should be comparing ourselves to those teams. Ask yourself what would New Zealand or South Africa do to that Welsh team if they were playing them at home. And the answer is they would have CRUSHED that Welsh team. The scoreboard was kind to us at the end and I am delighted at the result, but don't forget we were one try saving tackle away from being only 3 points ahead with about 15 minutes to go. The ref is always a debate, but the fact is we really made that hard for ourselves in a way that better teams would exploit. I actually think Gatland will be pretty happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Cian Healy made a big impact when he came on - holding up a Welsh try and seemed like a lot of carries. Some man.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

Gats complaining about getting tough penalties against them...what a joker. 😂

Gatland complaining on 'tough' calls by the ref on Welsh players :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Jager had a very nice cameo. Some strong hits in defence close to our line and some good ruck work. No obvious scrum deficiencies.

Baird and Kelleher were really strong in attack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Result never in doubt and felt like we were going through the motions at times. Young Welsh team with some encouraging moments in the second half, scrambled well.

Thought Bundee had a stormer, Tadhg Beirne fantastic too. Great impact off the bench from Conan and Baird. Henshaw got through a lot of work and Frawley linked well and offered a lot in attack. Nash and Lowe did well with the ball they got. Crowley a real mixed bag, kicked well enough but offers so little going forward, looked lost at times and just steering passes back. Lot of work to do. JGP his usual high tempo game.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Thought our attacking structure fell apart too easily after a few phases in the 22. We struggled to deal with the Welsh press outside 13, saw Henshaw cut in frequently. I wager England will pose more of a challenge at the ruck and exploit situations like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Kicked well enough??? 100% from the tee. Offers little going forward??? Are you taking the p*ss???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭John arse

So technically,Wales didn't score?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The first half was very impressive. I can't remember an Irish side ever being so physically dominant. We bullied Wales in contact on both sides of the ball. They had only conceded 9 penalties across their opening two fixtures, but were already into double figures before the first half even ended. That's how dominant we were.

Gatland is a very wily coach and will always find ways to stifle the opposition. That's what happened in the third quarter until the Irish bench came on. Thought Kelleher and Baird made a big difference in their cameos. Some very powerful and dynamic contributions. That Wales side is years behind in their strength and conditioning and it showed.

Wales have issues in attack. I've yet to see them show much in terms of attacking patterns. Too much if their game revolved around getting the ball quickly to North and hoping he could do something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Absolutely, but they didn't get any. I don't think it is unreasonable to wonder why

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Today was the last game of Green vs Red or vice versa. You can blame the color blind brigade!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If you saw an Irish team struggling to break down a Welsh defense today, and if you are concluding that this reflects an issue or weakness in our attack, congratulations on viewing your first ever game of International rugby.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Piardi was poor.

Didn't effect the result, but he was poor. It was obvious it was his first ever six Nations game. He was nervous and called things during there game that were inconsistent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

I was thinking the same against Italy, a very dominant display like today but NZ would be piling on against teams they’ve got so many advantages against. Not sure about SA. But massive scores aren’t really Irelands game, we play a structured attack and sure we score on counter attack but most of our points come from structured play off set piece. And we are insanely miserly in defence. NZ run in tries from everywhere, Ireland score those tries, just not very often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I thought he did a good job of calling offenses, albeit a bit inconsistently. Probably could've shown both teams a couple more cards tbh.

Advertisement