Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's started most games in recent times and he's looked great in every game I've seen him play. He reads the game so well.

If I was to compare him to another player it would be a former Liverpool one, Fabinho. He's playing as consistently and as good as he did when there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I love him, and he's great, but he didn't start playing regularly in the PL until December, and he's only played 4 games in 2024 since he was off with Japan at the Asian Cup (11 starts in 26 PL games). He's been a great buy, but Mac Allister and Szoboslai have been far more influential as far as new midfielders go. Even with all Szoboslai's injuries, he's still played almost double the PL minutes of Endo. Mac def the standout buy though, has been just incredible, an absolute rock and the midfield foundation that this season's success has been built on despite all the turnover.

But absolutely no shade on Endo who's definitely been a hell of a bargain in his own right, and has come on in leaps and bounds since he's been given more game time. Firmly cemented his place as a starter and key player now.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭The Guru 123

Absolute nonsense to suggest Endo has been Liverpools best player. Smacks of someone trying to show off how much they know about football by trying to pick someone they feel most fans wouldn’t appreciate.

As was pointed out he has been solid but hasn’t even played that many games.

Liverpools best player this season has been Mo Salah. Has the most goals and most assists. Sometimes it is that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You are so funny.

Firstly you berate somebody for saying who they think has been great 'in the games they've seen'. I only saw one Liverpool game this season where he didn't start. My opinion is based entirely in the games I've seen. I was surprised to find out how it's only recently that he's become a regular starter.

Then you go and state as fact who Liverpool's best player has been, basically telling us that you know more than anybody else who has given an opinion.

I could go down the stats route to blow your statement of fact away but I don't care enough.

Mo Salah is a great player but goals and assists don't decide he's the best player or at least shouldn't. In this day and age it's not often you see a midfielder or defender get awards. Van Dyk and Kante were the last two I think.

I have a Liverpool nut as a friend, season ticket holder for 30+ years. We aren't in touch that much these days but I was on the phone to him last week and he was raving about Endo, Mac Allister and Jota. He said with Salah out that Jota has been exceptional explaining to me that what you don't see much of on TV is him running interference, I presume that means jumping in front of defenders to slow them down, I didn't ask. He said he hopes Jota continues to start when Salah is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I've watched every Liverpool game this season and the most consistently good player all year has been Joe Gomez. Not saying he's the best player, but he's managed to go the whole season playing multiple positions without once putting a foot wrong. Hugely impressive.

There's loads of way to dice it because this is subjective. Overall I'd agree it's probably Salah, he's simply incredible and mocks any fan who said we should cash in on him to Saudi last summer. But there's a lot to like about the squad this year.

In goal it's obviously Alisson. Curtis Jones is the most improved. Szobozlai, Endo and Mac Allister have all had periods of being the best signing and that's much better than just one of them standing above the others. I still have big hopes for Gravenberch but the other 3 new guys have all had spells at being the first midfielder on the teamsheet and that's a great thing for them all to hit the ground running. Elliott has been our best player off the bench and it's nearly hurting his chances of starting because he's been so effective. Quansah edges Bradley as the best youngster. We were shouting for Colwill in the summer but Quansah has come in and literally nobody is panicking to see a kid starting at CB, he's quietly become very dependable when used. Bradley brings the excitement and Irish factor but Quansah looks like he could be the real deal.

If you want to play a game about ranking all the players or coming to an overall 'best' player you're likely ending up at Salah but it's really just a tiny bit of the picture. He was gone for a month and the team still won nearly every game.

The story of this season has been the squad as a whole and ability to firstly deal with the exodus of senior players and assimilate new players, secondly shake off the issues from last season and the mentality change from being a Europa League team to trying to challenge at the top, and thirdly to deal with many injuries and bring academy players through to fill gaps when needed. A much better situation than replying on a couple of key players, I think it's been a huge team effort to this point so far and even if we win nothing this year I'm encouraged by the turnaround and I hope we can at least qualify for the Champions League next season as I think the Europa League isn't a true reflection of our level this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Maybe I'm being sentimental but I think that the real star of Liverpool this season has been Klopp.

He's had a lot to deal with this season as manager, which started from the outset. Liverpool dropped down to the Europa League for the first time in his tenure, and a somewhat poor campaign, coupled with a summer of upheaval with 6 senior players and trusted lieutenants all leaving. Young blood was brought in, along with a (perceived) stopgap journeyman midfielder from the Bundesliga. He promoted a couple of academy lads who were on loan in League One last season.

This brought about a new expectation level for many with nobody expecting a title challenge. Top 4 was the goal. Klopp didn't have that mindset though and got to work on the mentality within the team, like he had many years ago. 5 wins from the opening 6 before controversially losing away at Spurs. He galvanised the young squad through that, and even through all those early 12.30 kick offs away from home - more than any other club has had to do, or will have to do for years, Klopp stayed firm.

He's constantly having to deal with injury setbacks or multiple players in a position missing at the same time, be it GK, LBs and/or RBs at the same time, a mass of midfielders, or the 3 top goalscorers in the team missing at the same time. And then having players depart to 2 different mid-season international tournaments on top of this. There has been 10 PL games (out of 22) where 7+ first team squad players have been missing. All comps, it's been 17 games (out of 39). Going away to Arsenal in the cup missing 10 players and still winning. Just for one example, players like Joe Gomez have stepped up who went from being a 4th choice CB to being the starting RB because both Trent & Bradley were injured to then becoming the starting LB because both Robertson & Tsimikas were injured. Gomez had a poor season last season but Klopp instilled the change in him by making feel 10 feet tall and a main player in this team throughout the season.

And the team keeps battling on, keeps grinding out wins.

There was 7 players that took to the pitch last night aged 21 and under. Academy players playing has been a feature this season, partly because Klopp always gives young players a chance, but also because of how stretched the squad has been all season. IIRC 5 different academy players have been given their PL debut this season (Quansah, Bradley, McConnell, Danns & Beck). This is in additional to Clark, Gordon & Doak who have made PL appearances this season but made their debut in recent seasons. All 3 are still teenagers. Bajectic would have played a lot more if he wasn't out injured but himself, Scanlon & Chambers have all played multiple cup games each.

He makes all these academy players, and squad players like Gomez, Tsimikas, Elliott, Endo etc feel like they are main players within the squad and it's having some big rewards for the team. Klopp had no qualms at giving Quansah his Liverpool debut away to Newcastle while down to 10 men. He's slotted into the first team set up with ease. Not all managers do that.

But the biggest thing Klopp has been his half time tactical shifts, or subtle tweaks that have changed the game. That Newcastle game being one big example. The Luton game last night with a team largely made up of reserves being another. The massive difference in mentality from first half to second half. Liverpool have recovered 22 points from losing positions this season and and I think they have the most goal involvements from substitutes in the PL aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's incredible, a real top class all rounder. Can play 6,10,8. Has excellent vision, passing, a goal threat and can be nasty too. The unsung hero for Brighton and Argentina. Could play for any team in world football IMO.

Oh and Van Dijk has been our best player this season I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Regarding post above about the youth in the team now, that's down to the Academy and first team training in the same facilities, Klopp thought it was ridiculous that they didn't train in the same place, so the club built a new training ground, its paying dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Thought I had wandered into the Liverpool thread by mistake 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

should have been here last week when it was the Utd thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is Boards down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Huge goal in the Everton game. Three points above Luton with a game more played and only one behind Forest if things stay the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Maguire would usually bury that free header.

Everton really need to hold on too, against 10 men now.

Gilmour guilty of not being Harry Maguire and that earns him his red card.

Amazing how fragile that United midfield is, nobody with an ounce of defensive nous or instincts there at all with Casemiro gone off. They might pox a result here, but since half time especially Fulham have been way on top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mad how often it seems to be McTominay and Maguire popping up with big moments since they were told they were surplus to requirements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

And Maguire does in fact score, 1-1, bags of injury time too.

Leno palming every save into the penalty area

Elsewhere, you'd wonder if Chelsea are already regretting loaning out David Datro Fofana. They've been hugely struggling for goals all season, with very few options at CF, and the chap they sent away already has 3 goals and an assist from 3 starts and 2 sub appearances since going.

<edit> his goal got varred - though the point stands 😅 He looks a more likely goalscorer than Jackson, and could at least be an option to change things up.

Brighton level it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Well done Fulham

Fully, fully deserved lead

What a weird goal the net barely moved if at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No lucky nonsense this week, calm finish

Fulham score a very good breakaway goal to lead 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Antony on for Lindelof, not the most attacking change by Ten Hag.

Some man to call on when you need a goal 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Genuine question, has anybody explained to Onana he's actually allowed to try and stop the ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Advertisement

Whatever about Onana, Rashford was a joke again. Little effort, turned his back on the first goal and that clip in the last game of him being run around is not a good look. If he was banging in the goals like last season it really wouldn't be an issue, but he is displaying the sheer 'I'm not bothered' type attitude for too long this season when United really need him.

That Braintwaite tgay scored for Everton has had a good season in a poor side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Presume Rashford will get the same treatment as Sancho and Martial? Oh wait different strokes for different folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Big win for Palace today,gives them a bit of breathing space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Utd have been on a good run.

But the reason that is concerning is that there continues to be no pattern of play. I still don't know what they are. They've scabbed so many results this season. Hojlund's form has masked their actual ability a bit. Mainoo, while a great prospect, is not what many are proclaiming him to be yet.

They'll keep getting enough results to be comfortably top 6, but I wonder what the new board will make of Ten Hag.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen any highlights of their game today so can't comment on the quality of chances but Man Utd gave up 17 shots at home to Fulham who are missing a few key players.

That's after giving up 22 shots to Luton in their last day out. West Ham are in brutal form but managed to get away 22 shots away at Old Trafford. Villa also managed 22 shots in their game, who were in poor form at the time.

You can't give up 20+ shots every game and get away with it. Both Casemiro + Mainoo started all go those games too. That's a direct slight on Ten Hag's set up and something that can't be blamed on the Glazers.

Chat away but you Liverpool lads do sure love talking about United when they lose. Breaking down our shots against in the last 3 games is an interesting level of detail. Along with who played etc

United are spoken of in here when they win aswell. Try not to be so touchy.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Ok let me condense it for you. Man Utd have given up 435 shots in the PL alone this season. The only team to concede more is Sheffield Utd. It's not sustainable and just shows that ETH is not setting up his team properly.

You can take about transfers and dressing rooms and club directors etc all you want but the set up should have change but hasn't. Long may it last really!!

City will have a field day next week, unfortunately.

I'm not. It's the same few posters every game. Don't mind it but find it odd. Like no mention of the city game going on atm, no mention from Arsenal fans on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's funny how they call Haaland pushing and manhandling defenders as strength , they call them fouls when everyone else does it.

You don't mind - but your comment would say otherwise. Same few posters every game - United have been on a good run of late, so I don't see your point.

No mention of City game as A they are winning and B not many City fans on here.

A lot of fans don't even watch City play anymore, an uneventful win - which is all too common - gets fairly boring.

If the same posters would post when we win then I wouldn't feel the need to say it. However we only scab them wins whatever that means.

Anyway my last comment on it but it's very tiresome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Arsenal fan here.

Can't really add much to what you already discuss in your thread. I have watched a bit of Utd lately and it feels like there is a pattern in the set-up of the team: since you can't control the midfield area, you let the opponents have the ball and hit on the counter. And it worked lately. Today you didn't have Hojlund so quite toothless up front.

As I said, many of the same posters - including myself infact - do post when United win, for a variety of reasons, not necessarily in a negative manner either.

If it's too tiresome after a couple of posts, then fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Karius starts for Newcastle

More Arsenal goal difference padding incoming so.

Bournemouth giving City a game here

Great opportunity for a tap in - very poor cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Bournemouth gave it a good go, fair play to them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement