Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bit excessive just to give Munster a leg up though.

Any representative (or quasi-representative) team is an accident of geography

• Subscribers Posts: 41,709 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Kilkenny in hurling has shown that demographics does not trump culture when it comes to sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This geographic idea while thoughtful, does not hold water, imo. Seriously, Australia has over 125 k adults playing rugby....

How come the kiwis, with a relatively small population are so strong year after year?

I think the tides turning. Looking at the u20's, there's only one Leinsterman in the back row and he's in the Ulster academy. Ulster have produced the best u20 player, imo for this year's u20's. Ward for me is a fantastic prospect! Munster have produced better back rows than Leinster in recent years. So yep, the schools do produce players and so forth but, the level of players coming out of the other provinces is as good in certain positions, if not better.

Interesting to see that the traditional schools are not as dominant as they used to be. Naughton is from Kilkenny, there's 3 lads from Bray and a couple from St Mary's.

We lost to Sarries in a friendly!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

• Advertisement

Leinster have diversified but have quite rightly not thrown the baby out with the bath water. They're constantly looking at ways to improve and innovate and invested as such. To have a case for them not making hay you'd have to see a falloff, like Munster, whereas Leinster have gone from strength to strength.

Munster didn't make hay for a large part because they navel gazed that everything was great due to a fantastic crop of players (by its nature, heavily due to geography factors) and believed the way they did things would continue and produce a similar quality of players. They didnt identify the impact of professionalism was having on the club game and stayed stuck in what they always did. It is no coincidence that the period where they had near drought of top young players come through was when they had the ridiculous situation of splitting their team between two training bases. Utter madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭ersatz

I wasn’t referring to demographics tho’. It’s about a dozen schools with an enrolment of maybe 5 or 6000 kids. They produce the lions share of Leinster players and it has very little to with anything Leinster (rather than the IRFU) are doing. Say what you like about culture or demographics but Leinster have a magic lantern dropping highly developed young players into thei lap and fans should at least consider that as fortunate when they whine about the sacrifices Leinster make for their poorer cousins. It’s a bad sad look.

Bo**ox. Your point was that Leinster give up continuity and coherence due to their oversized contributions to team Ireland and that has cost them European cups. It’s the equivalent of regarding yourself as a slave for all the work you do because you don’t consider your wages to be relevant compensation.

You'd swear no other province has players who come through their school system (it is the vast majority of the playing pool for all).

Leinster Rugby has invested in the schools competition for generations, since 1887, but sure you know better and the success in producing players from that source has nothing to do with that investment at all.

Pure envious waffle that just excuses incompetency from other provinces.

I’m from Leinster, I just object to ‘fans’ whining about how Leinster get the short end of the stick when they’re literally to the manor born. It’s a very well organised club, great coaches and a positive if limited culture (limit exhibited well in this exchange) but the foundation is the assembly line of school kids being pumped out every year. I watched a few of the schools matches and the U20 games and you’d be hard pressed to inherit those players and not be great. As for Leinster’s work in the schools, that is relatively new. I attended one of the better schools (rugbywise) and I don’t believe I heard of Leinster rugby at the time, before professionalism. It came up if we played at Donnybrook or won something but that was it. As I said earlier, the structures and success of Irish rugby is largely down to decisions made at the union level over the past 3 decades, provincial administrative culture flows from that. Provinces have themselves succeeded and failed at their own initiative but the foundation for success has come from the top. The idea that Leinster contributes unreasonably given the benefits they accrue from the system is wildly self absorbed.

Seems like you have an itchy trigger finger and 'objecting' to something that isn't there.

No one is saying they get 'the short end of the stick', my point was clear in my first sentence:

Central contracts aren't the godsend or hack they are made out to be by some.

I never said they were bad, I was simply pointing out some negatives to having so many of the core Irish players coming from the one team - things that other province fans complain about. These are of course in addition to the many positives of them, that I've accepted.

Most of that last post stinks of being proud of your ignorance. Just because you personally didn't 'hear' of Leinster rugby growing up 30 plus years ago, it didn't mean they weren't supporting the schools and the competition itself that produces the players. It also ignores everything Leinster Rugby has done since then when it comes to development, when they have been incredibly focused on the development of young players. For example, when other provinces were taking outside money and throwing it at NIQs, Leinster made the choice to use a portion of it to develop top tier facilities for their team and academy, pairing with a college that would be a drawing point for young players.

• Advertisement

I disagree with you. Of course the schools system is class and does produce talent. The work that goes into scouting, training and prepping these lads is brilliant. How many school players get into Leinsters sub academy? Would you not agree that this area of scouting is good? Bear in mind, Leinster clubs are producing quality too! All under the supervision of the branch. Ronan Foxe being a good example or Fionn Gibbons.

@Foxtrol Absurd, you literally wrote that a lack on continuity and cohesion resulting from Leinster’s Ireland commitments cost them Europe. ‘Not the hack’ is meaningless so I asked for details and impact and that’s what you offered up. Anyway, ad homonums are sad and I’ll take them as seriously as I do the rest of your insights on this matter.

I would think most of the sub academy kids come from schools. Makes sense given that most of the panel are former schools players. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great system and Leinster exploit it perfectly well but please don’t pretend it’s anything other than a massive gift to Leinster as a rugby team.

If you're saying a fit Sexton playing in the final last year wouldn't have put Leinster in a better place to win it then I don't know what else to tell you - a player who picked up the injury due to being run into the ground with Ireland because no other province managed to develop a challenger to him, despite his age and them having a decade plus to do it.

Your post where you explain your evidence for your opinion is based on your experience of it 30+ years ago is showing ignorance - I don't apologise for calling it what it is. I'd treat your opinion with more respect if you showed evidence beyond your feelings and what you 'heard' back in the pre-professional days, when the majority of the current players weren't even born.

As a person claiming to be from Leinster, you seem to have a lot of pent up grievances about the province, given your multiple snipes at the province and their fans, while also dragging the location of the government and media into the conversation and weirdly implying that has more of a role in the success of rugby in the province than Leinster Rugby.

Leinster Rugby developed the schools competition over the decades, it wasn't handed to them no matter how many times you keep repeating it with zero credible evidence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If you're saying a fit Sexton playing in the final last year wouldn't have put Leinster in a better place to win it then I don't know what else to tell you - a player who picked up the injury due to being run into the ground with Ireland because no other province managed to develop a challenger to him, despite his age and them having a decade plus to do it.

Ah here, that is a ridiculous framing of the issue. Sexton got injured in a relatively freak event. He was paid handsomely by the IRFU to play internationals and European games for Leinster for years.

I fail to see this as a gift. Honestly, the work that goes in, the scouting and the ability to identify players is an artwork.

If Leinster have such a gift, how come no Leinster hurling team can win the A.I? Bigger population, more counties etc, and yet they suck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

And yet Dublin win at gaelic football and are improving at hurling. Interesting to hear how many of the players who were involved with the Leinster Schools Senior 1/4 finals also play other sports.

Leinster have utilised the advantages that come with geography & focused on process and not the result and it shows. Our other provinces struggle to compete with Leinster but they are not alone in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I wouldnt accuse leinster of that all tbh. Theyre doing/did a lot more than munster were doing for quite a long time. Leinster are very much reliant on the schools system or at least relying on a very small number of schools to produce most of their players.

The dwvelopment officers. Are they there to produce pros or get more playing and help that?

Not sure about Dublin hurling, tbh. Would love to see it! Imagine, Andrew Porter flying up the wing with a hurling stick!!! Lol

Did anyone watch the friendly v Sarries?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It wasn't available but mentioned on a supporter group that highlights would be available

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Without Ireland in the picture Sexton would have played his pro career abroad and Leinster would have very little silver ware hanging on the wall. As for Leinster’s role in schools, you said they’d been doing Trojan work forever. I printed out that when I was a kid no one knew anything about Leinster, they played invitational matches. Leinster rugby at the time administered provincial leagues. Ned managed a few grounds. You have no idea what you are talking about and strike me as someone who thinks the world of Irish rugby revolves around Leinster when in fact the province has managed resources that haven fallen into its lap reasonably well, though I’ve argued before that one CC win in a decade is a poor return on investment. They have the Lions share of one of the worlds top teams on their roster and have 1 medal to show for it. I’m not a Leinster fan boi, I’m a rugby fan.

@Dubinusa last time I visited Kilkenny was in Leinster and own the hurling AI. Dubs dominate football and won the hurling league in the mid teens, from nowhere. Hurling is a lot more popular these days than it’s ever been in Dublin. Population and wealth density means a lot in sport, check out swimming, cricket, tennis, etc. Leinster over represented across the board, to do with resource and population concentration. Same goes for lawyers, journalists, doctors unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Forgetting there are other counties in Leinster outside The Pale is the most insular South Dublin bubble take I think I've ever read on boards, absolutely love it!

I did mention Gibbons! I did mention Foxe! So yea, South Dublin is not the only source for Leinster players. I'm also a Northsider! No ties to the South Dublin tribes. I've no idea what you're trying to imply! Of course the rugby stock has Leinster men from outside the pale. Absolutely love that Leinster scour the counties for talent! I'm so LEINSTER insulated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Rugby thread but claiming Leinster hurling teams can’t win all-Irelands? Kilkenny hurling not in Leinster?

If ye don’t want Kilkenny we’d gladly take them into the Munster hurling championships! 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

In my lifetime Offaly, Kilkenny and Wexford have win the All Ireland.

Kilkenny have not won in yonks. Besides, no other Leinster County fare well in the A.I. Leinster hurling isn't as strong as Munster. I'm alluding to the demographic claims that Leinster rugby have all the cards! If population is a factor for rugby success, why aren't France more successful?

• Advertisement

Same for me. But so have Tipp, Clare, Galway, Cork and Limerick. Several times each.

Advertisement