Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I could see Butler finishing up at the end of the season too. I heard he wants to finish up back in Oz and he'd be on a decent wedge. Owes us nothing either in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

He probably hasn't had the minutes he'd like this season. We're generally a better team with him involved even if we can select three better individual players in the back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭serfboard

On Tiernan, I haven't seen anyone who has been used as full back doing as good a job as he has been. I'd be surprised if he was let go, but I'd also like to see some succession planning there because he's 33 now and won't be around forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,169 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well they can put together any plan for full back they like so long as they leave Mack Hansen out of it.

Nothing annoys me more than one of the best in the world at one position being moved to another.

I hope we make the final eight in the URC and I'll accept that. Then they need to decide if it's the squad or coaching that needs fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cordero is under contract next year too, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Cordero is as signed as a fullback. Apart from that you’d have Porch, Mack , Smith and Jennings who can cover there and the lads in the academy West and Nicholson.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

West played outhalf for the U20s and Nicholson was on the wing.

For me, a 15 should have a great defensive brain, consistency under the high ball, an excellent tackler, and have an eye for a break. We just need to clone Hugo Keenan, he'd be perfect ;)

I'm keen on Jenkins but would be open to trying Smith or even Hawkshaw there. Porch is too inconsistent to be the last line of defence. I agree that TOH has done a good job there of late, redeeming himself after some iffy periods. But, yes, there should be a succession plan and a bench spot reserved a full backs understudy.

I'd be very sorry to see Thornbury released. It was obvious when Joyce was signed that there was going to be a bottleneck at lock. With such congestion, I'm still not sure that was a necessary signing even though Joe has been good. Gavin has been out injured so long that it's easy to forget that he packed down with Joe McCarthy for Ireland A against New Zealand just fifteen months ago. I'd keep him.

It hasn't been commented on, but we have been following an insane policy at LH relying almost exclusively on Buckley and Dooley. They have been given all the minutes except for 91 for Duggan. Burke has been left on the shelf. This isn't a sensible approach to squad depth.

If there are eight moving on, does that include Kilgallen?

Another player who will certainly have offers is Hurley Langton. Not sure who else will be in the same boat.

We don't know what JJ's contract length was, so given all the moving parts around Irish 10s, he's not nailed on either.

Oran McNulty was being groomed for 15 I thought, but has fallen off the map.

Butler or Boyle, but not both, two great servants of the club, but now with SOB and Sean Jansen for competition.

Lastly, do we need three Senior 9s with Mattie Devine in the Academy? Next season will be his third year. So McDonald or Reilly, but not both maybe?

West has been playing for buccs at 15 recently. Nicholson was a fullback but played on the wing because of injuries and McErlean being the starting 15

• Advertisement

Any word on when Cordero will be fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Purist98

Would see Nicholson as more of a 15 than a wing personally, played there in school and Ireland 19s, as well as the first 20s 6N game last year.

Any word on how he's getting on out west so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

Cardiff has only 36,7 players. And they seems to emphasiis sizable FWs. It's fundamental law of restruction of all sports in the world. I think maybe Connachtwii select same way. So....There is famous Japanese proverb 'Big is also small'. Look Prendergast. He can work at 7 well. Maybe Connacht will do such a way. I think that Illo can at LHP because he can push straightly at scrum. I dream some day he (LH) and Barrett (TH) go to Ireland squads. And Connacht will rapidly rejuvenade, I think that West > Sam Prendergast partly. Devine, Gavin, Treacy all look excellent. Dan Edwards of Ospreys is only 20 years old and small (175,83) with too little experience. But he was very impressive at vs Ulster match. I think that young guns of Connacht will do same performance if they are given some chances with far harder (than curretly) training duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

With regards to the 9 situation am I right in saying Macdonald was a loan from Ulster? In that case he could be going back. I could also be misremembering that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

It'd be a shame to see him go. He'd have to be near the top of the list of best singings in recent years. Was it Keane of Pat that brought him in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

His Ulster contract is up this year, you'd imagine he'd be very amenable to an offer if we were to make one, given the current situation up North.

I doubt he'll be in a rush back to Ulster to be fourth choice scrum half unless Ulster finally give in and try to convert Doak to outhalf. Unless our coaches think Matthew Devine has developed enough tom be given decent minutes we need the extra player. We seem a little cautious about taking those risks with young players right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Shanahan is being let go apparently so he would be 3rd choice there, but probably unlikely to play many minutes with Cooney and Doak in situ. I think he's 3rd choice here too, judging by the fact he's been left on the bench twice, whereas Reilly got more minutes when on the bench and was also given two starts in SA despite Blade being available. Perhaps if McDonald committed to us for next season Wilkins would invest more minutes into him. I think it's a big risk to run with less than 4 scrumhalves total in the squad, so we will need to sign somebody, either to the academy or senior squad.

Regarding your last sentence, we seem willing to give young players minutes in the back 5 of the pack and outside backs, but much more hesitant with front rows and half backs. You can see the logic, your halfbacks touch the ball more than anyone else, and it's very hard to win if you're losing the scrum battle badly and/or your hooker is struggling with his darts. It will however make it tough for players in those positions to progress, especially with no A games available.

Percentage of minutes played by young players* broken down by position:

Front row - 2.77%

Lock - 43.35%

Back row - 53.63%

Halfback - .22%

Outside back - 47.18%

*23 or younger on 01/09/2023

I think that given a choice between developing our young players and importing someone into the fringes of our squad we've tend to pick the conservative second option recently. We chop and change our starting lineup to the extent that young players don't get the best opportunity to play in a settled environment.

Personally, it's left me thinking that the coaches don't rate the majority of our local young players, and would rather let them try to show promise on the fringes of a larger training squad. I trust them to make those calls far better than me but it doesn't get us any closer to having a strong spine of good local players to build a team around.

Post edited by conncussed on

Not something I’d be looking to do but is there any chance Ireland would like to see Bealham move to loosehead? Could solve the depth behind Porter and theres Depth at tighthead at both Ireland and Connacht.

I don't think that would work out. Finlay's big selling point as a TH is that he brings a lot of workrate, mobility, and handling skill while still being able to lock down a scrum. We've played enough at LH during his early years to know that he's better off emphasising those skills at TH rather than focussing on them at LH.

Yeah again not something I’d like to see but just a thought straight after the squad announcement for this week

Some excellent play by Hugh Gavin for the U20s tonight. He's carried hard and passed well when the Ireland attack has put him in good positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah he should be getting some games for us next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

can someone please explain to me how this new concept of topping up international players wages (O'Mahoney and Murray) will work while the province supposedly plays for their wages. We had the IRFU list of players most important to Ireland handed central contracts. Where is this new twist going?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭phog

There has been top ups for ages. To me, it's an in-between CCs and PCs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I agree. But this is primarily with central contracts. Somewhere in there is a guarantee of a public affairs agreement that would enhance their overall earnings. I have never heard of this addendum being added to a provincial contract.

I guess this is as ambiguous as RTE wages these days 😂

Advertisement