Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Most people walk away from Netflix as a result of their crackdown on password sharing or because of the spiraling prices. I'll end up cancelling my subscription over something as petty as YouTube thumbnail brand guidelines. That'll teach 'em!

Post edited by S.M.B. on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

You're right too!

I've noticed it as well, I don't bother clicking a youtube link unless someone explains what it is either 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Whoever wrote/devised Decline and Fall is a genius. 9.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

I take it all back One Day was outstanding.

I'm an emotional wreck after watching the last two epidodes🤧😭.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Is there anyway around the new household password sharing policy?

I’d normally never do a workaround but I’m trying to control my expenses and I’m already on the premium to get Spatial Audio and multiple streams so my sister and her kids can watch it. And extra member only allows one device at a time.

Would it be possible to make my sister’s house the “household” and for me to Uber the extra member while still being the accounted owner? I can’t do a live chat with Netflix support until later

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know it’s a typo, but the idea of Ubering people between houses to simply avoid paying the extra household fee is very funny 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Watched new doc, "can I tell you a secret?" Very solid doc only two episodes, social media really is a pox.

“ Guns don’t kill people, people kill people “

It isn’t social media that is the problem, it is the people using that is the problem.

Some of those platforms could have been useful but is the users that have corrupted it.

And I say this as a person with no social media accounts. (Unless boards.ie is social media? Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

It kind of is, ish 😄 I'm in the same boat so I try tell meself it's not

• Advertisement

We can’t lie to ourselves but we can lie to each other.

so we’ll tell each other it isn’t 🥸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

It's actually originally a six part podcast by The Guardian newspaper - same name. I listened to it last year, and it's quite harrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah had no idea, I watched both episodes of the doc on netflix in one sitting good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

How often do you visit your sister's home?

If you set her household as the home and log into Netflix on her network once every 30 days, you can continue to use the device you logged in with. I did this with a Chromecast 4k for a while until Netflix just reverted back to zero restrictions on my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Ive had the payment request appear asking do I want to add a screen outside the home location. Thats it. I cancelled it and it hasnt come back since. I thought the password share block was going to be forced onto everyone sooner than this. Im on 4k sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I don't want to wander in the weeds, but ....I'm afraid that's only half right in terms of tool neutrality and user blame - and dangerously so. Social media is indeed a tool, metaphorically the way a gun or a car might be used by both responsible and irresponsible people. But the likes of Boards has no algorithmic recommendations that can bring brains down rabbit-holes the way social media platforms can. The term 'social media' is a disingenuous misnomer, as it uses a beneficial term to smuggle in the insidious nature of the algorithms, giving it a malignantly 'unsocial media' property under the hood. It's a hyper-efficient means to sway people towards negative territory compared to a chat forum, unless it's the likes of 4chan, etc, which uses embedded links to social media a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Finishing One Day atm, really wouldn't be what I'd normally go for but it's superb. I thought 14 episodes might have been too much but it's a perfect length. Also does something that most streamed shows don't take advantage of, treats each episode like a chapter so makes each episodes an appropriate length rather than a forced 40 minutes for each point. Stranger Things did it in the last season but made the episodes far too long as a result. 🤣

I was using a friend's spare profile on his 4k sub, constantly getting warnings so I just paid the extra €5 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

How far away from your friend are you?

Im only 1 mile away from the main account holder. Maybe they arent bothering with people who can easily go to the main account location every 30 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

On episode 5 of One Day

.... not getting the whole hype about it yet! Still I'll keep watching, might binge it tonight feel like a take away too...

• Advertisement

Very glad to hear boards.ie isn’t the same as Twitter, etc. 😬

I though the tool and user comment as you call it.

as I understand it the meanness and vitriol by many (most?) people on social media is what they are really like inside but the anonymity and the fact that they can’t see the people they are being mean to gives them a chance to let it out where as they are too afraid to do it face to face.

no one, or at I’d imagine not many people, have ever use a gun to kill just becasue it was in their hand.

off topic I know

That wouldn’t be option for us but handy for family living near each other though. Good idea.

Netflix support are no help at all.

They are insisting the location can be changed on an AppleTV and with all similar devices. But there is no such option.

Then he began to chase his own tail saying the reason it doesn’t show the option is because is because the primary location was reset. When I pointed out how that made no sense he then claimed the option doesn’t show because the primary location hasn’t been set.

I’m baffled

And they use the IP address to determine where users are, I received emails in the past and one this evening about “new device using your account” and a location is provided but it has never been accurate usually saying it was in Cork or Dublin which is not where we are.

And that includes one time when when Netflix was used in a smartTV

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Watched My Son, really gripping definitely recommend.

I thought it started ok but had bits of storyline that went absolutely no where and by the end it was all a bit silly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Did you see the back story?

McAvoy was given a character history and that was it, he improvised the entire thing. I haven't seen it, but remember reviews saying that it didn't really hang together. Probably why some story strands didn't go anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Definite potential there but as you said, so many loose ends and pointless storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mea Culpa from Tyler Perry really getting slated, supposedly very bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I enjoyed it overall. McEvoy was good in it. I didn't take any notice of the loose ends when I was watching it. But reading back on some of these messages got me thinking about a few points. #

As far as I know it was never really explained why the detective guy and his compatriots were taken off the case. It’s a bit far-fetched that the hierarchy of the legal system would be in cohorts with a child trafficking ring, and were trying to cover it up. Maybe I missed something on that one.

Also, they never closed off on the one bad guy that was left. He had a gun and was chasing the car down the road. And then nothing.

And the raiding of his employers office. And on about Iraq. No further reference to it.

And finally, I didn’t get the ending. James McEvoy character had just gone a long way towards taking down a child trafficking/paedophile gang. And we are left  with the scene of him being taken off in a cop car to possibly face jail. That doesn’t make sense.

Anyway, it’s a decent simple thriller if you want a little entertainment. But don’t dwell on it too much.

Post edited by flasher0030 on

Advertisement