Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Buy a €20 Nokia phone with buttons. You won't know yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭green daries

I'm going to sound like the typical old grouch but I totally agree ifmd go as far as to say very very few want to work especially any form of manual labour even lads who were willing to do a bit are now balking at it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

One lad here farming, another a brilliant tractor mechanic, the rest all academic types, and in good jobs but they were all "trained" to work when young, And not neglected on the social side either. One lad has 2 all Ireland hurling medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Exactly I can’t get over the amount of what I’d call youngish farmers in their 40s in my area who have children all up on 10 years of age who never go outside the door, was always out with my father from 5 or 6 and always given some small job and told where not to stand. The older you got the more responsibility you were given. Did an awful lot of work there over the years never asked to be paid for it, had my own jobs at weekends during college to keep me going during the week and my parents helped out with fees and accomodation for the few years I suppose I got my pay back in lieu there in their eyes😅

Being out on the farm working from a young age does you know harm and develops a work ethic even if it does turn you off farming it’ll drive you to another job to make sure you don’t end up farming lol.

An awful lot of children are far too precious these days to do an ounce of work that has a lot to do with why children are gone so soft and lazy there can’t be any danger or adversity for them these days…

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I couldn't spend 13 hours away from the yard this time of year. Anyway between late nights, being up during the night, admin work, and just getting to do a few things with the children, I often find it easier to take a nap or a few easy hours in the middle of the day.

It wouldn't fit in to the defined working day anyway, and I'm not sure I'd want it to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

This time of year is different. Farmyard only out the back door. Will check out what's happening and see if someone needs to be here.

I'd agree, we've lads here from 12 down, the big thing is to leave space and a few handy jobs so that they can help and observe alongside you. If the farm has to run at 100mph all the time, it won't work. "What's my job?" is a phrase I hear a lot of. It's up to me to provide a safe, supervised, and age appropriate task to give that child a feeling of involvement, achievement, ownership and job satisfaction. Sure there are times I'd be fit to pull my hair out, but that's easily managed with a bit of perspective and honest communication, they're not fools after, and it's a blessing to see them grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

very harsh comments about children being precious.... children (and i know from my previous job) are a product of the environment they grow up in.. families are alot smaller now.. where once the mother might have had 6 or 7 kids to rear/mind.. in most families thats now down to 2... so those 2 get alot more attention are watched more by their parents and cant get upto the same mischief as before... the difference in boys where there is 3/4 boys in a family and just 1 boy in a family is huge... the 3/4boys are a bit madder.. boy on his own-spoilt.. i think the youth of today are fantastic people as good as any young people that we ever had in this country... its the adults are the problem........

funnily enough i know of a family locally with 2 kids... girl about 18.. good girl.. boy around 16.. apparently very quiet... anyways he never ever went out onto farm while his father was farming.... never... farm has been leased out and the new man has started milking there in last few weeks... young lad as part of school had to give a week working somewhere on work experience.... yep you guessed correctly he helping the new man on the farm...... milking calving etc...

I would agree about the parents, maybe a lot is as a result of coming into the 2nd generation of daytime telly/gamer kids. Around here a lot don't know how to say no, and worst of all, won't give the children any amount of direct attention and prolonged communication. Then we see speech therapy, development, anxiety, and mental health issues as the years go on, it's often easy trace the root causes.

I can’t agree with the youth of today being the best we’ve had in this country even if I’m young myself. It’s not long I’m gone from college and the sense of entitlement from a lot of young people due to being spoilt and facing no adversity it astounding.

Take your guy that never went out on the farm, even if you had no interest at all once or twice you’d appreciate the work your parent/parents too to provide you with everything you have. If you hate it still fair enough try figure out what you want for yourself and go after it.

Preciousness has crept into a lot of aspects of younger people these days…kids getting participation medals for everything in sport for example and no scores being kept etc you have to learn to win and lose in life you can’t always be winning and not facing adversity how are people supposed to grow otherwise.

• Advertisement

There's a few now that the word no is not allowed in their house. Imagine being the poor teacher dealing with those kids. Often see very young kids being handed a phone or tablet to keep them quiet.

Yes preciousness has crept in... who's fault is that??? its not the kids fault... its the people giving them the medals...

I’m not blaming the kids as you said they’re a product of their environment as I’d agree with and I’m sure most sane people would.

Youre right it’s the adults that are accommodating this behavior. Local soccer league here up to under 14 you can’t lose by more than 5 goals now so if you lose 10-2 result is 7-2 because a mother was complaining her child was being teased in secondary school about it.

I see plenty kids now with American accents from constantly being given tablets to watch YouTube also, development of children has regressed more than progressed as technology has come along and social media is another highly complex issue then on top of it.

You had a nice cushy number 9.00 to 4.00 with state pension lined up, 3 months holidays a year, yet you came home to farm, now covered in shite 24 / 7.

I would imagine it was the "spoilt entitled" kids that converted you.

Did you see the behaviour of the Manchester United captain yesterday? Hardly inspiring behaviour for young kids

I did he is notorious for it constantly at it week in week out beggars belief how man United see him as a role model for the squad let alone their fan base. Leaders are meant to lead not carry on the way he does.

Ya jasus I was at a kids party a few weeks back and the two kids from the party house spent half the evening looking at a tablet 🙃 the rest of the kids played away no bother. i would have used the phone a few years ago when they were really small when we were under pressure eating out or something

I'd often look into gardens on the way over and back the road in the tractor or digger. Real expensive swing sets and toys never played on. Nice manicured lawns. Our garden is in shite from football.

Kids nothing to do with it... i had some kids from very very difficult backgrounds... but u play away with them as best you can.... ask ur son that's a teacher.... he'll tell u... I'd still prefer to b teaching a bunch of kids from difficult backgrounds than spend 2 hrs in a staff meeting listening to a bunch of teachers moaning like fcuk about some issue or other... some of those staff meetings used to be torture to sit thru...

Ah yeah, that makes sense. You couldn't walk through them too much this time of year, within reason...

• Advertisement

Anyway, daughter asked me how do you check a cow's pulse

I think social media is a cess pit on top of that the fakeness of Instagram is mind boggling.

Was watching Grasstech latest video on Harte farm. Lely robots and Vector for feeding, all looked rosy but then near the end he said they had 3.5 labour units on the farm and they were milking only 130 cows. IMO they would be better investing in an automatic calf feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I have watched the series on them, some setup but I can't see how it makes money..also seems a lot of labour given the level of automation..I know they have other business which I'm sure may be subsidizing the farm to a degree.

The lad speaking is very positive but to be fair he is a good speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭visatorro

Can't give out because I give them the phone too often. I don't bring my two to the farm because I couldn't manage them on my own.one would go one way and the other would fly off the other way. Used to frighten the life outta me. I'll bring them to set up paddocks in the evening.when they go into secondary school I hope to utilise them more!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Of all the things we ve spoke about rearing children is the last thing I m in the mood to talk about today.i was at a funeral yesterday of the grandest young fella you d meet in a day's walk ,absolute credit to his parents.there s alot of luck in rearing youngsters

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

As told to me by a mother in law, the daughter in law goes to her creche and and asks to speak to the owner and explains to the owner that that the staff will have to find a different word instead of the word " NO " . She told them tat the word NO is not used in their home. Mother in law was then reminded of same . This is 100% true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

At least now you can wash the sh1t off whereas you can't wash that sh1t from the meetings off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Imagine him playing with Roy Keane in the team, the kicking wouldn’t be from the opposition. We have two teenage girls who since they could walk they have being out doors on farms, use to milk for a neighbour a couple of times a week and one would come to feed the calves in turn and he would help us watching cows for calving when we were in work, when lambing starts they were involved. Kids nowadays are very clever and see danger quicker than adults and won’t take risks, our kids spend more time in conversation with adult men since they we’re young that with other girls due to nature of farming. They are not into make up etc and enjoy life. The biggest problem is posh mummy who don’t want the kids outside getting dirty on the farm. No Xbox here.

Advertisement