Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Miracle = Biden gets the aviator’s on and the shotgun out and personally leads seal team 6 on a direct assault on the Kremlin and take putin out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No one can replace him but it is also the nature of the situation that people will get less fond of him, war fatigue, frustration, people blaming him for this and that. It is a hard road he has in the job.

His place in history is assured though and in the fullness of time all will acknowledge his greatness in his countries fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

Zelenskys made a very controversial decision to fire the very popular commander of the Ukrainian army Valerii Zaluzhnyi a few weeks ago . He Was very popular with the public and the army personnel. That was a massive decision. Zelensky political fate is thus now tied to the performance of the new military chief

The publics trust in Zaluzhny was at 92%!

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/most-ukrainians-would-oppose-sacking-popular-army-chief-zaluzhnyi-poll-2023-12-20/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Apparently it's because a lot of the shells would be purchased from Turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't know who the contributor was but earlier today on the UK wireless I heard them surmise that Zaluzhny had wanted to step aside for some time but a successor wasn't easy find.

And if anyone remembers the little videos of Zelensky giving him the red book/medals a couple of weeks back where Zaluzhny gave him big bear hugs, while the new guy looked like his world had ended. Those videos would then make a bit of sense if he had wanted to leave. Someone even mentioned it here how happy he looked after getting fired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

Most Western leaders would give their right arm to have a 60% approval rating.

According to the quoted article Zelenskys approval was at 37% just before the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

Not suggesting the SMO has had much success, but they did take bigger towns in the south, such as Mariupol, Berdyansk and Melitopol. And Kherson, which they didn't manage to hold for very long after the "annexation referendum" (anyone remember those?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

france because they want the money, greece and cyprus because turkey would benifit

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

400,000 dead Russians

50% of territory taken in 2022 retaken back

Global coalition in support of Ukraine

Pariah terrorist state

Most sanctioned country in the world

Economy in tatters

2 years later and the war to conquer Ukraine has been a disaster for Russia. Ukraine just needs the support to hold on and Russia will collapse. I hope that most Americans will be repulsed by Putin controlled criminal Trump and he will be rejected in this years presidential elections and the republican party will become unelectable for ever lending him support. In the meantime Germany must give the Taurus missile system to Ukraine. Why they refuse to give it I don't know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't think it is different in large respect to anything else I've said on here, though I will observe that I think there are more important issues raised in the article than the ones you picked out.

Of those three, #1 I agree with, #2 I only partially agree with. All those weapon systems (and maybe other supporting assets like EW which people don't talk about much) that NATO countries have developed but not provided to Ukraine were developed for use in NATO's maneuverist doctrine. The idea that we can expect Ukraine to fight in a Western manner without all the Western capabilities seems flawed. It's like giving a team all the components of an F1 car except the turbocharger and expecting them to win races.

That Ukraine didn't lose everything isn't evidence of sufficient provision as much as of Ukraine's realization of a problem and not throwing good after bad. Of course, this also assumes that Ukraine would have been capable of effecting NATO doctrine correctly. Breaching a defended line is pretty much the toughest thing NATO forces train for, and it takes a lot of training.

#3 I think it's a lot more nuanced than folks might at first understand. Note the line about "setting the conditions for maneuver", its not that they are discarding maneuverist theory, and maneuverist theory is still about destroying the enemy. Still, for such a respected organisation, I'm a little surprised that they seem to be understating the amount of attrition that nations like the US expect to affect upon an enemy force before troops engage in direct contact. We call them kill contracts, the completion of which is a conditions check before proceeding to the next stage. The trick is making sure those contracts are executed before the enemy can react. That's not maneuverist, that's simply killing things quickly. If those deep fight assets were split amongst multiple fronts instead of making damned sure realistic and suitable kill contracts were successfully completed in at least one location, that's not a fault of an emphasis on maneuverist doctrine, it's a fault of misunderstanding the application of maneuverist doctrine.

So to an extent, #3 is correct. It may also be rather missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It's good news Russia can't up artillery massively. The bad news is short term they'll get a few million shells off north Korea and Iran. But they'll burn through those stocks petty fast. I wish I could just fast forward another year until Russia finally suffers real artillery shortages and the stock piles of tanks/BMP's start running low.

Even next year when they'll require more extensive refurbishments that means less on the battlefield and more money spent. Another 2 year's from now things will be ugly with a shortage of everything for Russia, messed up economy and please god a democratic US government giving full support.

And full support isn't a handful of Bradley's and Abrams btw. It's honestly insulting how little they've received.

Interesting article about the rotation of Ukraines troops, while much of the army has been on the front line for the last 2 years with little rotation, turns out there are 10s of thousands of soldiers who have yet to see the front line!.

Looks like this is about to change with the new guy.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/28532

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

The West should seize more Russian assets and send interest to Ukraine, says UK PM

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak urged the West on Sunday to be “bolder” in seizing Russian assets and to send interest already accrued on frozen funds to Ukraine.

On the second anniversary of Moscow’s invasion, the UK leader said Western allies must go “further” with their sanctions to “shake” Russian President Vladimir Putin’s belief “that he can simply wait us out”.

Sunak wrote in an article in the Sunday Times:

We must be bolder in seizing the hundreds of billions of frozen Russian assets.

That starts with taking the billions in interest these assets are collecting and sending it to Ukraine instead.

And then, with the G7, we must find lawful ways to seize the assets themselves and get those funds to Ukraine too.

The prime minister’s comments follow G7 leaders pledging Saturday to explore “all possible avenues by which immobilised Russian sovereign assets could be made use of to support Ukraine”.

The grouping of advanced economies confirmed Russia’s already seized sovereign assets will remain frozen “until Russia pays for the damage it caused to Ukraine”.

Ukraine needs almost half a trillion dollars to cover the reconstruction costs of Russia’s invasion, the World Bank, European Union, United Nations and the Ukrainian government said in a joint report earlier this month.

Ukraine’s Prime Minister Denys Shmygal has said that the confiscated Russian assets should foot most of the bill. Kyiv wants the West to unlock around $300 billion of frozen Russian assets to fund the rebuild of its cities, roads, bridges and energy facilities destroyed or damaged by Russia’s two-year assault. (The Guardian UK)

Looks like the retreat from Adviika has brought Ukraine back into the news headlines, it all seemed to go quiet last year after Oct 7.

There seems to be an uptick in pledges of more equipment from European countries now that the U.S is stuck in election season which is good news imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,696 ✭✭✭✭briany

I heard some analyst on the news the other day say that before WW2, in the period of appeasement of Hitler in the mid 1930s, the UK was only spending around 3 or 4 percent of GDP on defence. That went up by several percent in 1939 when Hitler invaded Poland, but it then skyrocketed to around 40 percent in 1941 when the UK was fighting for its very future. The point he was making was that the savings you make through appeasement are more than offset by the cost you incur later when those you have appeased come after you . Not only paying money but also in blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Lord Dannatt I think it was. Former head of the UK army. Good video.

The fact that we're still discussing anything ,Taurus, long range ATACMS, allowing Ukraine to hit Russian territory, seizing Russian assets immediately, ramping up artillery production. Ukraine is the shield between us and a world altering, potentially democracy destroying event. They need to win and to be seen to win wholly.

The west urgently needs to get serious about this war, it does seem like that's happening more now but all these things should have been a given 1.5 - 2 years ago. The drip drip, escalation management approach has been shown not to work. Time to try something else.

Yes, thank you. I wonder to myself did Putin's big show of nuclear warheads on flatbeds in late Feb 2022 give western countries any pause, or was that always going to be the policy anyway?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

27 nations rowing together does by design means seismic geopolitical events can make us look slow to react. Look at COVID: the UK liked to bark about how slow the EU was getting vaccines and responses out in reaction to COVID, Britain leagues faster - and they were right - but once we finally got the massage then EU was flying. Ukraine is showing signs of the same; that chronic inability to jump on an issue, but once broad consensus happens can become a juggernaut quick enough.

Plus let's face it, no more than France in the 30s Europe is reluctant to get dragged into armed conflict. We wear the scars of war quite openly, especially someone like Germany or France who know what it is to be on both ends of Total War. Even if that mindset started to change on Germany it has taken a while and continues to dog our need to squash Putin's naked ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A wised elderly man hits hard in Russia.

Imagine if this guy was President of Russia..

• Advertisement

If only. 1420 have some balls to still be operating in Russia, as critical as they are of the war. They should definitely avoid drinking tea or touching doorknobs as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

sergei dogface lavrov denied refueling in Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

The Polish foreign minister delivers a pretty good fact-check on Russia's UN speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's very clear that Ukraine have been hugely constrained especially by the US. The Putin & the West documentary seems to be right in that Ukraine were warned, by the US, not to attack the Kerch again. It's such an obvious target. This combined with having to put up with endless attacks but being told they can retaliate on Russian soil suggests that the US are actually afraid of Putin's threats. Why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

At least 10,582 civilians have been killed and nearly 20,000 have been injured since the start of Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, the United Nations Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine (HRMMU) said on Feb. 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some extra context:

Tens of thousands of civilians have been killed in Russia's war in occupied territories, Zelensky said the exact amount is unknown, adding that it would be possible to find out once the territories were liberated...

The HRMMU stressed that the actual number of those killed and injured is likely to be significantly higher.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

This guy, Radek Sikorski, is magnificent. I’d never heard of him before. Here he is with a mic drop moment as to why the US should stick with NATO. Starting at 37:51.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I have heard it said that russia’s talk of nuclear weapons isn’t meant for leaders of countries but to get western media talking which will cause public sentiment to go against Ukraine as nuclear holocaust should be avoided at all cost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement