Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Currently with Flo Gas and did not realise I was out of contract until now DOH and on the standard rat

Gas Used kWh 13.7443 D cent/kWh

Carbon Tax .8770 D cent/kWh

Supply Charge 42.2200 D cent/day

So what are the best options while I shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Midlakelands

Hi @cormie yeah I spotted the 26% on https://www.energia.ie/about-energia/our-tariffs

They didn't budge so I was going to swap as soon as the march credit from the gov came through. I've been burned in the past with switchover issues and I'd like it to be clean. Others here have said to just go ahead and pull the trigger but can't hurt to wait one more week. Ofc if energia then offer me a deal to stay I might choose to do so depending on the bottom line numbers.

Damn I just see it's gone to 31%!!

https://www.energia.ie/about-energia/our-tariffs

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

@bigboss1986 I think so. it'll be interesting to see if they offer it to those of us who break contract. Previously I believe energia retentions team would give you a call only after you made the official switch....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Im going to wait for last gov credit and then I will switch.My contract expires in few months but no harm trying.Dont mind 50€ penalty it will save me in long term more

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Smart plan on both

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

@Midlakelands

I just gave Energia a ring, I wasn't paying full attention on the call but the gist was:

I'm currently on a legacy plan and if I switch to a smart plan it would be cheaper.

Current Legacy rate before any discount is 41.17

Current Smart rate before any discount is 38.37 as far as I remember

I'm currently on a 10% discount.

Their pricing is dropping automatically for all customers from March 1st I believe he said

The Smart rate before any discount from March 1st will go to 35.84, he said if I rang back at the start of May (my contract ends mid May), I could get a 15% discount to bring it to 30.47. I think I'd also get 15% on gas at the same time too.

He was able to offer a small discount now but said it would create a new 12 month contract and he advised waiting even though he said he has to work on targets but that he was just being honest :)

I mentioned the 31% being offered would bring that 35.84 down to 24.73 and he said he doesn't agree with offering retaining customers less than new customers and said a few agents had said the same, so he's not sure if that new customer discount will remain, but I'm guessing it will.

So it probably makes sense just to stay put until the contract end and then see what's on offer at the time?

@cormie I'm on the legacy day/night plan until september at 15% discount. Since I'm also a fairly high consumer of electricity it's worthwhile for me to jump rather than stay in contract unless as you note they offer existing customers the same discount. I see that the smart plans are being discounted by 19% which doesn't seem fair. Tbh I haven't looked at the implications as I plan to stay on legacy day/night until the economics make sense to jump or I am forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does it not make more sense to go on the smart plan? The chap said it would make more sense if most of the usage is in the day time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I contacted Electric Ireland as my contract is up with them. I have a standard plan them and I'm continuing it with 22% discount

Day 29.84c Night 14.72c FIT 21c

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭sector_000

FYI... purely for comparison purposes.

I'm on the Bord Gais Black Friday 25% off dual fuel. From Feb 29th, the discounted rates will be:

Before 9% VAT:

24hr urban rate elec = 25.22c / KWH, standing charge €200.50 pa

Gas = 7.69c / KWH, standing charge €120.82 pa

After VAT:

elec = 27.49c / KWH, €218.55 pa

gas = 8.38c / KWH, €131.69 pa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The latest energia plan with 31% discount is way better than that.

Do you have a link? Nothing came up on bonkers

@cormie try to keep most of my units at night and use the batteries/solar during the day. I might be reading the tariff rates wrong it looks like the standard day/night rate is still the best one for me if I could get it at the stated night rate of 13.81 inc. vat from the 1st March. I'll try the move next week and if it works then I'll get the new rate, worst case I swap to one of the other providers and it'll still be a little bit cheaper than my current rate at energia although I do have to factor in the 50 euro exit penalty. I think as you noted in your case the contract is up in May so moving might not make sense. Really would be great if energia applied the discount to existing customers by default.

Its on the following page and seems to be working when you select the plans on the energia website but do note the 31% seems to be for new customers with non-smart plans https://www.energia.ie/about-energia/our-tariffs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Very interesting rates.

My Bord Gáis ones will be 33.3c and 14.9c from 01.03.2024. So a potential saving of 5c and 1c for day and night respectively or €230 on 10,000 units with two thirds night usage.

EI Day 29.84c Night 14.72c FIT 21c

Energia Day 28.81c Night 13.81c FIT 24c

Not sure about standing charges

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭esker72

I'd manage to get the Black Friday deal too. Working out fairly well and hopefully there's a few more drops to come in time for heavy use season after the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

How's Energia Plan with 31% discount urban day night meter compare to Flogas Community plan ? Is it worth switching and taking the 50 euro hit? Or is Flogas price from March 1st dropping on fixed 1 year rate?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭bren2001

Fixed rate plan, your prices are fixed for the term of your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

The chaps aka sales people say a lot of things but not once have the smart rates been the best available rate and there is no going back if you decide to get an EV or heatpump etc. in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

I have a question about bord gais new reduction coming into effect. If I have been on estimate readings. How will they know how much I've used on the old rate vs the new rate? My thinking is to submit a reading as late as possible to try get as much as the bill on the newer cheap rate

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Its pro rata depending on how many days fall before and after the price change.

If the bill is 60 days long and the price is reduced for the last 10 days your billing units are split 5/6 on the old price and 1/6 on the new price. This is how it previously worked before smart meters came in but it could have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

Cool, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Thats not always the case, as its user circumstance dependant, many people with PV and batteries, are better off on some of the night boost smart tarriffs, such as the 5 cent(inc vat) Pinergy “Cooline” Lifestyle Drivetime (3 hours per night)or Energia Smart Drive which will be (7.64 cent inc vat)for a 4 hour window from March 1st.

In addition, the export rates for Pinergy & Energia are in most cases higher, at 25 cent for Pinergy & 24 cent for Energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Where is the information about flogas dropping price on 1st march?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

March 25th Apologies

Rates and Standing Charges effective from 25 March 2024

Electricity Variable Rates – effective from 25th March 2024

Ex. Vat

Incl. VAT

24 Hour Variable Rate

33.99c/kWh

37.05c/kWh

Daytime Variable Rate

37.83c/kWh

41.24c/kWh

Night-time Variable Rate

18.33c/kWh

19.98c/kWh

Night Storage Heating

18.33c/kWh

19.98c/kWh

Electricity Annual Standing Charges - Unchanged

24 Hour

Excl VAT

Incl VAT

Urban (DG1)

€236.12

€257.37

Rural (DG2)

€287.99

€313.90

NightSaver

Excl VAT

Incl VAT

Urban (DG1)

€303.97

€331.33

Rural (DG2)

€387.37

€422.24

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They're crazy rates you'd need your head testing to sign up to them, in saying that they're without contract, I wonder what their fixed rate with contract will be for new customers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭beachhead

I would do that.Send a reading on the 26th. Or 27th at the very latest.Though their pro rata estimate of your usage could work in your favour.If they underestimate your usage up to the 29th you win.If it's running over then send a reading.I'm 90 units under right now

Advertisement