Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭csirl

The Minister is the sole shareholder in RTE i.e. the owner.

Normally where the Board of a company locks heads with the owner, there is only one outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭elacsap

Just so I understand things better, can anyone confirm any of the following please?

1. Was Bakhurst at the meeting with Siún and Catherine Martin on Monday of this week?
    2. Was Bakhurst at the meeting with Siún and Catherine Martin on Wednesday this week?
    3. Did Martin say on Thursday that she was appraised of the "situation" by one of her officials on Thursday?
    4. Did Bakhurst say that the legal advice that he got this week regarding confidentiality was broadly a reconfirmation of similar advice received a few months ago?
    5. Did Simon Harris (on Claire Byrne yesterday) say that RTE should publish the total severance payments paid to executives this year?
    6. Is Martin very annoyed (as reported by RTE) that a severance payment was made to Coveney when she had understood that he had simply resigned of his own volition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭KaneToad

To the best of my knowledge:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No. I think she referred to the dept being informed about "the process". This passing of information was so insignificant to dept Sec Gen that she didn't make a note of it. RTE chair seems to attach more significance to it. It seems to be a he said/she said scenario as we have no transcript or recording of the call. (Or do we??)

4. Yes. Legal advice to RTE is to not ignore the confidentiality agreements.

5. Yes he did. He wanted a total figure. He stated that this would preserve confidentiality. Not sure RTE legal advice would agree.

6. Don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its public money. Do any sort of NDA's or the like go out the window. Full exit payments should be revealed immediately.

I suspect KB is heading for cover.

Really at this point serious debate is needed to disband RTE in its current format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Multitasking and not doing it very well. Might also need a new keyboard.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Ted222

The RTE chair position pays 31,500.

Why would anyone put themselves in the firing line for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭backwards_man

On #3, there has been no evidence produced that information was passed to the sec gen. She has denied it happened according the Catherine martin at the press conference. The only person who says it happened is Siun ni R. Apparently the meeting minutes of the comp review committee from back in Oct state Siun's intention to notify the minister. This jogged her memory last Thursday and she claims she did notify. Who knows what really happened. The sec gen would have to be very incompetant not to attach significance to that as it would have been the first time in this whole mess that an exit package was aprroved by the head of the board. Siun ni R has thrown the ex sec gen under the bus and basically has accused her of not passing on information to the minister. Why the minister has not made a meal of this and defended her ex sec gen and her department shows how weak the minister is and how bad a communicator she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hse next folks, if you think theres problems with rte!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭elacsap

Thanks very much for confirming KaneToad - I'll wanted to fact-check those points before commenting further. (Probably later today, need to do a few chores first!)

One apology. I worded question 3 badly.

What I wanted to know/ask was did Martin say on Thursday that she only became aware that day (i.e. Thursday) that the information given to her by Siún (on Monday and again on Wednesday) were incorrect as a result of being told this by one of her officials on Thursday? [It's clear that it was Siún herself that told Martin on Thursday - I'm just seeking to confirm that Martin initially claimed on Thursday that she learned about the misinformation from one of her officials]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Becuase you can "potentially" direct license fee funding to the media companies and service providers which RTE commission and contract to.

Someone working for a company on the Board would not want a slimmed down RTE operating only one TV and one radio station because after the in-house produced material is broadcast there are no free slots for content provided by their companies.

Moya and Siún should never have been on the board once they became involved with production companies...conflict of interest.

I make no allegations of wrong doing against any present or former member of the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Playback did a good recap this morning. It really is a shiit show.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭csirl

The SecGen doesnt recall being told. Likewise SNR didnt recall telling the SecGen..........until she read it in minutes of a meeting prepared by another individual who would have no first hand knowledge of what was said.

Is it possible the minutes are wrong?

Furthermore minutes of a meeting saying it was intended to tell the Dept doesnt actually mean it ever happened. Ive been at many a meeting where an intended action was agreed, but, for whatever reason, never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Don't forget Larry Bass,producer of such hits like Dancing With The "Stars" was previously appointed to the RTE board.

That place is an inbred cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭RoTelly

On number 5 don't these have to be reported in the annual report. I posted in this thread the details of Termination Payments to the executive board from the annual reports going back to 2011. And the list of the Executives that may have received those exit payments.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If he becomes chair, it will show that RTE have learnt nothing and are doing nothing positive since this scandal broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Augme

This is what the Minirter claimed was said by the former Sec Gen.

She [former secretary general] has been clear that while she was informed by phone that the independent mediation process on an exit package for Mr Collins had finally reached a conclusion, she has no recollection of being told that it was approved by the board's remuneration committee."

Why I really can't grasp is, the Dept. knew that the exit package reached a conclusion. Yet, the Sec. Gen. didn't ask what that conclusion was? That seems, at best, strange. One would assume that when a person is told a conclusion has been reached, the natural respons would be to ask what the conclusion is - would it not? That would certainly be my response. But, for whatever reason, let's take it at face value that the Sec. Gen. didn't ask on that call. Would they, and the Dept. not follow up at another time to ask what the conclusion was? The fact they didn't, and just treated that information as irrelevant is quite stunning. Asleep at the wheel is the term that comes to my mind.

Chair is appointed by the Minister. AFAIK via the PSA (Public Service Appointment).

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Let’s hope they show it. It starts at 7pm which is an unusual time slot for flogging people.

If this takes place behind closed doors, the Politicans will be looking after one of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

And by her incompetence, she might appoint him

She really is a poor minister, she want to be friends with everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

She wants to be friends with everyone until she goes live on Primetime to behead her BFF.

Or did she not understand what she was doing when she refused to express confidence in the Chair?

Perhaps she caught off-guard and unprepared by the most obvious question.

I don’t see how any explanation can save her Ministerial career but who can fire her? Not the rotating Taoiseach, he will do whatever Eamon Ryan tells him in this matter. Eamon Ryan can’t ditch his Deputy Leader because he is hamstrung by the Byzantine governance procedures of his “grassroots, collaborative organisation”.

So this Government will become a lame duck administration because it carries a lame duck Minister and Leo won’t call a general election until he absolutely has to because he had a near-death experience on the last occasion.

I haven't seen Eamonn Ryan out defending his Green minister. As leader, he should be backing his fellow Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Any sign of Dee?

Yoo-hoo Dee, where are you ya silly-glassed corruption magnet?

Yoo-hoo!

She needs to be dragged out of that 'sick bed' she has created for herself. Immediately.

Ridiculous how her 'ailments' are pandered to. Are we ever going to see her?

I think Minister Martin is toast now. The tide is turning. The FF senator (Malcolm Byrne) on This Week has turned on her. The govt usually send out a senator to do their bidding. Cowardly enough. Tough week in store for Martin. And given that Leo knew she was going on Prime Time and what she would say, we have to ask what he knew.

Things getting worse for Martin.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Eamon is a master funambulist - he successfully walks the fine line between politician and activist - but he must be disgusted and frustrated with the Deputy who was foisted on him by Green Party grassroots to stay out of coalition.

She allowed the RTÉ scandals to snowball for almost a year only to intervene belatedly and to disastrous effect. She also had her wings clipped by a Supreme Court Judge for telling porkies for Yes,Yes. Roderick is backing her on that one but Eamon will stay as far away as he can from these misbegotten referendums. Eamon can’t ditch her (Green Party politics) so he will let her stew in her own mess.

He still hopes FG/FF will need the Greens after the general election but both those parties dread the prospect, to the point where FF have decided to go with SF if absolutely necessary. FG hope the Independents will suffice and might even go into opposition rather than stomach the Greens for another five years.

The Sindo story today about Eamon blocking road projects is an old story re-heated to remind him that FG/FF have run out of patience with Green policies. The Government’s total U-turn on immigration is contrary to everything Roderick and the Greens have been about but it shows the ruthless side of the old parties when they sense a sea-change in public opinion

Advertisement