Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

There is an interview with O'Gorman in the Irish Independent today in which he seems to completely refute the possibility that a single family will have the same legal rights as a married family as a result of the referendum. When asked how it would affect single parent families he made vague references to the Constitution and recommended the journalist read about how two female TDs felt about how they were treated as single parents!

When asked if he accepts ex Attorney General McDowell's claim that there will be huge implications for tax law, social welfare law, family law, succession law, pensions law, immigration and residence law he says:

"No, he’s wrong on that. Because the very clear legal advice we’ve received throughout from the attorney general is that these items will not be impacted by what we’re proposing to amend in the Constitution.

The key reason is because the rights set out under all those areas are set out in primary legislation — and that doesn’t include a definition of “durable”, that doesn’t include “durable relationships” in terms of the families that benefit from those rights....

Somebody in a “durable relationship” does not have the whole range of rights that a married couple has, because married couples have a whole range of rights set out in primary legislation that apply to married couples".

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/roderic-ogorman-referendum-critics-are-wrong-marriage-isnt-being-usurped/a562180917.html

Everyone is wrong it seems. He also goes on to say that long time disability rights campaigner Tom Clonan is "entirely wrong" when he says the amendment will have a negative effect, he "disagrees" with the ICCL's assertion that it will not provide any meaningful legal protection and also says that FLAC have got it wrong when they say that it is a step backward. He is careful to not actually say they are wrong or say he disagrees with them but attempts to correct them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No I don't want the RTE news reporting what the bishops say in terms of how people should vote. Same for other religious "leaders". Why don't we let the GAA have a say, or the Boy Scouts or the Chess club. This isn't the 1980s. We have grown up I hope. Let the religious people preach it from the pulpit to the people that still attend their weekly charade..

I don't ever recall hearing the Muslim clerics telling me how to vote on the RTE news and I don't care what they think.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Then do what more and more of us have done, switch off RTE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The President of Ireland is supposed to be above Party politics. Apolitical.

It is unconstitutional for the President of Ireland to be involved in party politics.

As the President has a number of apolitical roles such as referring legislation to the courts under A25 of the constitution to test their constitutionality.

-

There is separation of powers for a reason. Three branches as follows:

Legislature:

In Ireland the legislature is the Oireachtas. It comprises the President and two houses: the Dáil and the Seanad. The main functions of the Oireachtas are to manage the State finances and to legislate for the good of the people. The people elect the President and representatives (T.D.) to Dáil Éireann.

Executive:

The executive is the government. The government is made up of An Taoiseach and the ministers of the various government departments. The government is the centre of the administrative system in Ireland. It formulates policies, promotes legislation and directs the operations of the various departments - in a way, it is like the board of directors of a company.

Judiciary:

These are the judges who administer justice in the courts. The Irish Constitution (Article 34.1) says that justice shall be administered by judges in courts established by law.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Augme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

So it's ok for the government to tell us how to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. Its not.

As per the McKenna judgement government can't spend public funds on campaigns.

Government isn't telling us how to vote. FF/FG and The Greens are asking for yes votes. This isn't government telling us anything.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Hmmm are not Government Ministers coming out saying a yes vote is the right vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If O Gorman is so sure McDowell is wrong he should have no problem going head to head in a live debate with him.

Now that I would like to see.

Yes. But that is on behalf of their parties not on behalf of the government. No public government can be spent on a referendum.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Sorry I might be a bit stupid, but if a government minister comes out promoting a certain view is that not the government speaking? I don't think they say this is my view not the government view. Are not Fine Gael, Fianna Fail and the Greens the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

I haven’t talked to a single person who is voting yes. I’ve a big family and every extended member of the family I’ve spoken to is voting no, no and friends/work colleagues too.

Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but I’d be willing to bet this won’t be the shoe in the government hopes it will be…

A very sensible breakdown of the proposals by the Chair of the Electoral Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

So when O’Gorman told the NGO’s that they had better have a very good explanation if they went against the govt on this referendum he wasn’t speaking as a government minister??

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭minimary

Same, everytime I see the polls massively in favour I wonder if I'm in an echo chamber. Most of these people would have been pro marriage ref and repeal the 8th, so I don't think I have a conservative circle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"The President of Ireland is supposed to be above Party politics. Apolitical."

Indeed... but this referendum does not concern party politics! These are matters to do with society.

The only political aspect about the referendum is that the government parties have set it up and proposed the wording and they may possibly lose face if one or both fall.

The president is a citizen and a citizen with a special responsibility to review any future legislation to check that it aligns with the constitution. His views and that of Mrs Higgins would be most welcome. Have they been gagged??

I heard her answering various questions and it was notable how often she used the phrase 'I think this or I think that may happen'.

She's being asked important questions and if she's reduced to guessing how the legislators and courts may interpret these proposed changes in the future... that should send a loud and clear message to you to vote No.

The public want firm answers to sensible questions, not guesswork.

I'd be grateful if you can point me to where the president is prescribed from giving his views as first citizen on referendums concerning changes to the constitution.

Everyone is reduced to guessing what the decision the courts will make every time a case goes before it. Seems unnecessary and impractical to stop all legislative changes based on that fact though.

Legislative changes have to pass the constitutional test. Putting such loose terminology as 'durable relationship' into the constitution is a recipe for disaster in terms of social norms. Vote no.

• Advertisement

I'll be voting Yes on the family referendum. I think single parent families, grandparents parenting grandchildren, Foster parents should all have legal and constitutional recognition as a family. All the nonsense about polygamy and throuples is all absolute red herrings.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Caquas

There will be no benefit to these families in law or in practice if the amendment is passed.

There could be immense implications for “durable relationships” which are not currently treated as families.

Yes campaigners dismiss questions about polygamy or other unconventional relationships but listen carefully to the Electoral Commission. They have ruled nothing out.

If the electoral commission ruled nothing out then your post isn't correct as you have no basis to say there will be no benefit to the families mentioned.

Terry Pratchet

Just be honest and say you’re voting yes because you want more immigrants arriving here via family reunification.

Nope. I don't buy the bullshit that this is all a conspiracy to increase immigration.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Caquas

Anyone reading my post honestly will understand that I meant the electoral commission has ruled nothing out in regard to “durable relationships”.

Now the Yes,Yes side are calling for a change in our Constitution not because it will benefit non-marital families but because they hope the No side can’t prove that it won’t!

So if you're so sure, please explain the difference between lets say a heterosexual couple that are not married, who have children and for all intents and purposes live as a couple actively parenting their children.

and

Let's say two women and a man living likewise together unmarried as a family, with children to both women by the same man.

Are both these examples valid 'durable relationships'??

That shouldn't be hard to answer, so please don't avoid. Thanks.

Deleted.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

The electoral commission has ruled nothing out on durable relationships but yet you authoritavely can categorically say for certain that certain relationships named above can be ruled out as durable relationships. Your posts make no sense.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement