Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

You can ask but it looks like the manual return process is quite different. Bottles/cans have to be stored in a tagged bag in the manual return process. If Tesco aren't set up for a manual return system I don't think they have to offer it. The Re-turn site is very helpful in this regard.

Looks like they're abdicating responsibility, surprise surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Defies logic. Dunnes issue you a voucher to reclaim your own money but tell you that you are only allowed spend it in one half of their store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

My experience so far has left me out of pocket either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭geographica

Same, not seem one person using one yet, that’s a lot of cans and plastic bottles being stored (or thrown in a hedge, or thrown in the rubbish bin and to hell with the tax)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So true but the story has moved on.

My aim is to recover as much of any deposit paid as possible.

The green bin won't help me.

I don't know how you lost money but at least you have a fighting chance of getting the deposit back if you use the RVM.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Same as their shop and save vouchers cannot be used except for groceries.

You can however get the cash value of the DRS voucher off them and then spend it in any part of the shop that you want to.

I brought my four bottles with the logo on them. The machine only recognised one of them. I brought my voucher to customer service where the barcode reader then refused to scan it. "Barcode not recognised". So aside from the added time, I am down 60 cent on just 4 bottles.

I got a crate of Guinness cans the other day. The cans all have the logo on them but, they also have the floating widget in the can. For those not in the know, the floating widget is a small plastic ball inside the aluminium can. I suspect, after charging me 1.80 extra for the 12 cans, that they wont be accepted because of the plastic ball. I will report back my findings. If they are not accepted, then the Guinness has basically just gone up by almost 2 euros.

Shop and save vouchers are a promotion and Dunnes can set whatever conditions they want for promotions they run. They should not be imposing conditions on how people spend the voucher for their money.

Your queue twice solution is just nonsense.

• Advertisement

Actually it isn't but given that this is boards, the reply isn't surprising

Great argument. If its not nonsense perhaps you could enlighten us as to why you think it's a great idea to inconvenience customers.

If someone wants to buy a pair of socks with their refund they have to queue at a customer service till to obtain their refund and then queue again to buy the pair of socks.

If the same person decides to buy a loaf of bread with their refund they can skip the customer service till.

Four bottles with the same barcode and in the same condition and only one accepted is definitely bad.

So customer service refused the voucher that their machine just issued ? That's not good either. Surely they should order the staff to use initiative in a situation like this. Very bad business to be upsetting a customer over 15c.

Maybe a bit of good news but don't hold me to it. In the other thread it was mentioned that the widget cans will refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Ignoring the many problems with DRS which have been outlined here won't encourage uptake.

These charges and this scheme is very unfair on those have been diligent about recycling through their green bins all along. We were obviously lied too about what was happening to the contents of those bins. I don't believe it will change the behaviour of those who didn't give a damn and didnt recycle anyway.

I dont see why we should have any faith in how this scheme will be operated. It would be more honest to say its just another green tax.

• Well.. no they don’t.

You could grab your stuff and pay at customer services.

exchange voucher first and then process items to pay. Regardless I agree with you it is absolutely stupid.

You don't have to queue at customer service to get the cash value of the voucher, you can get it at the till and use it as you want.

It's exactly what I did today.

First time I had the need to actually use one of the machines as I don't normally buy bottles of water or soft drinks. But given we were having a party here, I went and bought a few bottles for mixers in a Tesco on the way home one night and then brought them to a Dunnes today as I had reason to need both some drapery items and a few food items only Dunes stock.

Now reading this thread from the start to today, you would expect the bottles not to be accepted in Dunnes because they were bought in Tesco, or that none of the machines would be working and that you would have to queue up twice or be limited on what you can spend the DRS voucher on.

When in fact you can simply bring both your food and non food items to the one till in the supermarket section, say to the person at the till that you want the cash value of the DRS voucher and decide to either use it as part of your current purchase or put it in your pocket.

In supervalu you have to go to Custoemr Service.

The first post of mine you replied to was a response to the Dunnes terms and conditions.

What you are describing is not consistent with the terms and conditions.

If you want the cash value you have to go to the customer service till per the above link.

I haven't been to one with a return so can't say if would be the same in the one nearest to me. I'll go the next time I've stuf to return and see if that is the case with them.

• sorry but where on this thread of the CA thread did anyone say (without being corrected immediately) that you can’t return bottles from Tesco to Dunnes?

Regardless of that the fact remains these vouchers are your money not some promotional offer with the respective supermarket.

I would expect that the voucher can be used in any shop because it’s effectively cash.

But what you have instead is a stupid system where you’ve little scraps of paper with Mickey Mouse value linked to the store you returned the stuff to.

So either you spend it there (and apparently where in the store they allow you) or spend time at the customer service which can either be standalone or the Kiosk in the grocery, (which as an aside in my local dunnes is often closed), which also seems to always be a fairly busy part of most supermarkets.

Like the simple fact is this scheme is a massive inconvenience to all and sundry. Those in stark favour devising clever ways to store garbage in your houses and feeling like a right one I just can’t understand it.

Why would you support the government making you store rubbish in your house?

Here’s an idea; if a bin man spots you putting recycling in the rubbish don’t empty it or charge you a fine to your next bill for each occurrence.

Some lazy fcukers who didn’t bother before and got away with it are now causing a huge inconvenience for the rest of us. Frankly, for me the part I’m absolutely unable to comprehend is how those who champion it can’t seem to accept why others cannot abide this awful system.

it’s implemented terribly, a complete farce to date and you’ve lads who are so detached they think it’s not unsanitary to store unwashed mineral and beers cans in your kitchen or shed.

Eamon Ryan must make some lovely Kool Aid.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone should ignore the problems but putting recycling in the bin and refusing to even try to get the deposit back is no solution.

I think it's two different posters today reported that they failed to collect their deposit because the barcode on the receipt was not recognised.

This is nonsense and the retailers could fix it by simply honouring the receipts and sorting it out later.

Giving a "computer says no" answer to a customer over 15c is ridiculous. The barcode could not have changed in a few yards from the RVM to the checkout.

Similarly this issue with Dunnes could be easily sorted. I've seen people checking out drapery with their grocery shopping so it could be fixed.

That's just two of the many problems that are quick fixes some of the bigger problems might take longer.

Says on this page

This voucher can then be redeemed for cash at the till or used towards your grocery shopping.

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/ sm/delivery/rsid/258/drs

Nothing about having to go to customer service to redeem the cash as you stated and definitely not my experience today.

• And your experience is not what others have shared.

Such as the man who couldn’t use his Voucher in X Aldi branch because it was from Y Aldi.

Did you not read the link you posted.

"How do I redeem my voucher?

To redeem your voucher for money off your grocery products, either present your voucher to a cashier at a manned till and they will scan it for you, or you can scan it yourself at any self-service grocery checkout. The value will then be deducted from your bill and will be visible on your receipt. If you want to receive a cash refund for your voucher you will need to go to the Customer Service till and they will scan your voucher and return the cash refund to you. In order to redeem your voucher for money off groceries or for a cash refund the barcode and number must be readable."

Hopefully at no cost.

Put simply I will do my best to recover each deposit paid.

The whole point of the deposit is that you get it back.

And they still have not divised a solution for people who order their groceries online for home delivery. Once a monthm take my cans and bottles to an RVM where they may or may not be accepted by the machine, where I get a handful of shrapnel, and do what with it? Probably go home and put it in a jar, because everything else I buy is with a card. Then once the jar is full, make another journey out to a bank to get deposited into my account?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Those saying it's ridiculous being tied to cashing it out In one section of the store are wrong in my opinion. Bottles are a grocery item, therefore redeemable in the grocery section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

As far as I'm concerned there wasn't a problem that needed solving. I did my part and recycled all my plastics into my recycling bin as i was told to do. What happened to it after that was not my problem.

But now, the government want me to do something else, something that is inconvenient and takes up more of my time, and if I don't do it, it costs me money.

Now they want me to change my routine to (a) store rubbish in my home, (b) drive to an RVM to get a voucher, then (c) stand in a queue to get my money back - that's IF the item is accepted at the RVM and IF the voucher then scans at the till. And if I don't, I lose money.

I'm also the only allowed to spend the voucher (for my own money) in-store, at the store that issued it, and only on items the store deems eligible.

Notably Tesco has said they will not be facilitating returns for their online customers, including the elderly who were encouraged to join their online shopping scheme.

The scheme is a joke.

• Advertisement

Tesco issued a statement saying the drivers could not take returns due to the fact that empties would have to be put in the van with food items.

I don't know if anyone suggested to them that the cab might be used.

I use a card but it's always handy to have a few euro in change for parking, flag days etc.

Not a great idea to go to the bank with a load of change these days, they wouldn't know what to do with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement