Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

This narrow minded imbyism is nauseating, this kind of parish pump ‘politics’ is the reason why this country is so dysfunctional.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I've never heard of a brand new metro station having a detrimental impact on a residential area anywhere in the world. The opposite is always the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭VonLuck

McDowell says that the only reason for the terminus being at Charlemont is for a future Luas Green Line upgrade. Does he not see the benefit of having a Luas stop right beside a Metro station? If it terminated at St. Stephen's Green you would have to walk much further to get that transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

McDowell doesn’t care about any potential benefits, and such benefits would be available to everyone so don’t really fit with his worldview.

All he cares about are his property interests in Ranelagh and nothing of consequence changing near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Let me introduce you to the Charleroi Metro ...but seriously though that's the exception rather than the rule obvs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

McDowell and his ilk are monied enough that they never need use Public Transport. McCarthy similarly. They cannot imagine what a regular commute via PT actually looks like given they havent had to take one in decades.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The TBM is to be stripped and cleaned. The internal removed and the rest left until it is to be recovered using crane and HGV to take it to its new site. The tunnel will then be a cut and cover job the get past Beechwood.

Of course, they might have different plans south of Charlemont by the time the TBM get to SSG. The options might be more palatable for those nimby folk of Rathmines and Dunville Avenue.

New realizations will suddenly be common currency in Ranelagh and Beechwood. Who knew that Beechwood to the Airport in less than thirty minutes would be possible with no waiting for the next train - bliss. No problem with queues and with bags and all that and no hassle with expensive parking.

[Why did the objectors not understand the importance of the frequent city breaks!]

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Hardly a cut and cover to a tie in past Beechwood ? In fact the plan for the line is for it to terminate to the north of the good Senators house. AFAiK it is almost in line with it. I presume there would be a more sophisticated solution?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Metrolink brochure I have has that as the plan.

When the TBM is in the ground, I expect the plans south of Charlemont will be revised. At that point, the options can be assessed without the nimby rabble screaming loudly enough to threaten the whole project.

For example the St Raephaella's Road can be dealt with as a separate project, and removes one large block. A metro station on the bridge with either no Luas station, or one either north or south of it.

The secret sewer under the canal was a surprise to the designers that threatened the whole project but was rendered not important by abandoning south of Charlemont. Well, that whole question can be revisited when the pressure is off for now. Once ABP approves the RO, planning south of Charlemont can be pursued in earnest. The team of designers will be adept at solutions that get past objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭gjim

Was there ever any consideration given to diverting the sewer or doing some sort of work on it to allow the metro to emerge north of Ranelagh as initially envisaged? I know this would not be trivial at all. But the benefits of a simpler, less disruptive tie-in and being able to simply upgrade Ranalagh and Beechwood to metro stations without having to construct underground metro stations, sound compelling to me.

This would also mean diverting and continuing the green Luas south of Harcourt as an on street system would be viable - e.g. down Adelaide rd or toward Rathmines - instead of having a terminus among low density suburban houses around Beechwood.

Just to be clear, the plan we have now is the plan and I'm not in anyway suggesting changing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭specialbyte

It's a big ass sewer. It's 3.6m diameter and provides sewer services to 100,000s of people. More info here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117986474/#Comment_117986474

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

How long is it estimated that the TBM will be in the ground for? I couldn't easily find the timeline in the planning docs, and since many people have said some variation of "once the TBM is in the ground, plans will be revised", so interested to ponder those timeframes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Is that saying 10 years to complete the project? Or is it worst case?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Decent analysis from RTE, more pro than anti metrolink.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭VeryOwl

The section about a snail being faster than Metro was humorous. Hopefully we can get this thing started next year and dispel the (completely justified) weariness and cynicism the article references.

The dates are surely massively padded and all worst case.

I'm no engineer but surely for a 2025 construction start we can get a basic metro line finished by the early 2030's. There's no integration with any existing stations to worry about, they've simplified the design etc.

The proposed timeline would see trains running closer to 2040 than 2030 - abysmal given we were promised fresh new Metro trains would be zipping us to the airport by 2027.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Cheers!

Looks like about 4 years TBM-in-the-ground time then (conservative estimates)

I don't think the tbm will take 4 years to get from Ballymun to Charlemont The ground conditions at that depth are still largely unknown so certain worse case scenarios are built into the programme, it could easily be half that or somewhere in between.

There's engineering complexity at Glasnevin Station with the canal, live railway lines and multi level interchange station but all other stations are straight up cut and cover with little interaction with existing underground utilities. any earthworks contractor worth their salt will fly through that.

Except they quote the retired economist and professional curmudgeon, McCarthy, who opposes everything that is an improvement to Irish life. He thinks the buses from the airport are sufficient for those that use PT. Also quoted was Senator and local resident with a vested interest in Ranelagh, McDowell. Plus, of course, the local FF TD, Jim O'Callaghan, who would not want to lose the votes of Ranelagh residents, and of course those that shop in Morton's.

Then there are also the OPW, and TCD. Despite having years to raise issues, they have waited till now.

Apart from that - positive. Let us see if they report the less critical observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Assuming that the Green Line is upgraded to Metrolink in the future, if bridging at St Raephaella's Road, surely you also grade separate at Burton Hall Rd/Blackthorn Ave. junction to add the Central Park stop and possibly a terminus stop on the far side of the M50?

If not continuing south of Sandyford, just terminate Metrolink before St Raephaella's Road. I don't see how it would be worth the cost just to have a stop slightly further south. The terminus north of it would serve the area just as well and would be approx. 850m from the Kilmacud stop so fine spacing-wise. You wouldn't have two Metro stations a la Stillorgan and Sandyford Luas stops, they would be too close.

• Advertisement

Probably because they likely will use the depot at Sandyford for stabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If the Sandyford depot was given over to Metrolink, then a new Luas depot would be needed for whatever Luas line remains (and a Luas line would definitely remain because there is a lot of track in the area which is not suitable for upgrade to Metrolink). It would be very difficult to find a plot for an alternative Luas depot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I dunno, the area is pretty dense. Seems like it needs 2 to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

From the Metrolink project planning doc linked above, it looks like they'll be finished Estuary to Dublin Airport by 2030 and to the city centre by 2033.

I'm really hoping they open Estuary-DUB as soon as it's done instead of waiting. A lot of airport employees live in Swords so this would be a very useful section to open as an initial operating segment.

I would imagine they will open any segment as soon as they can, as they will want to test the automated piece thoroughly before underground testing. It's all very exciting to be honest. A rail station in the Airport in 5 years, who would've thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Great thread over here for all things Mertrolink south of Charlemont

Hint. Sandyford is well south of Charlemont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭Economics101

I just hope that TII and others working on the Metrolink project take note of a really good letter in to-day's Irish Times:

Sez it all, really.

Hard to say that they haven't made every effort to account for every cent in this project, nor future proofed it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

The OPW giving out about knocking some trees and moving some statues. Their argument would hold more respect if they focused only on the trees!!

Good to remember here that the original MetroNorth+DU projects assumed full closure of SSG for a number of years including draining of the lake during construction.

The OPW has also raised concerns about the planned relocation of the Wolfe Tone Monument and Famine Memorial in St Stephen’s Green, with both set to be moved further into the park to accommodate the station.

• Advertisement

Should the opw not get on with building their memorial gardens - Phoenix Park Bridge? They've been promising this every year for 6 years now.

Advertisement