Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Longing

Guenther Steiner will be back in the Formula 1 paddock in 2024, with German broadcaster RTL having signed him to a punditry role this season.

Pity, I don't understand German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

DTS using Danica Patrick to talk about what it's like for F1 drivers at the start of the season is exactly why I don't like DTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Proof that blind faith can lead even the strongest to the deepest depths.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Enjoyed having the testing on in the background here the past few days.

I think Max and Red Bull are out in front again, but the Ferrari has good 1 lap speed. Maclaren next (They can easily overturn Ferrari if they get their setup right next weekend).

Flip a coin between Merc and Aston for 4th/5th. I think Aston are better than we think, the car looked very stable and planted but just lacked top line speed (again).

RB next, with their essentially 2023 Red Bull - So similar looking on front view. Could trouble the top 6 at times.

Williams and Alpine disappoint. Shame to see Williams go backwards after last year. Haas are completely at sea.

Some teams think the gap to Red Bull has extended over the break...

Granted, the rest of them look really close together. Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes and Aston Martin all look really close, and you could throw in RB Visa Low Carb Diet App as well.

I can’t help but feel that pretty much nothing has changed compared with the back end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dts is online there now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So far episode 1 of DTS was good. Mostly about Aston Martin and Lance Stroll with the usual whinging from Lewis Hamilton about his lost championship lol.

Just started episode 2. It looks like it's about Red Bull and Daniel Ricciardo.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,478 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ferrari look pretty decent from what I've seen of testing.

Hamilton will be pretty confident that his move from Mercedes is the right move. Ferrari shouldn't be a million miles away for the final year of these rules in 2025.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ferrari's biggest enemy now is the race strategists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Luigi: Mario, we-a should-a change to-a Plan B?

Mario: There is-a no a Plan-a B.

Luigi: Go to Plan-a C then. Retire both-a cars then.

If Fred can get strategists on board that know what they are at, things could be looking pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Watched first 2 episodes. Typical stuff from the show, but we did get to see bits of the Danny Ric Silverstone test.

Far too much Will Buxton and Danica Patrick though...

Merc are in a bit of trouble this year if they finish behind Ferrari and Mclaren. Surely there will be questions asked of Toto and probably lose key staff if they haven't already. Hamilton leaving is probably the right move for him at this stage, I'm not really a Hamilton fan but it'll be great as a Ferrari fan if he can get them consistently at the front again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It always seems like a culture problem at Ferrari. They have plans a-e because nobody wants to be an original thinker because they're fcuked if they stick their head above the parapet and it goes wrong. So they plan the strategy and stick to the plan no matter how inappropriate it is.

That nonsense wouldn't fly at Mercedes where have the cop-on to adapt to reality and then learn from it whether it goes right or wrong.

Ferrari are stuck in a doom loop where their best chance of not being fired is to stick to the plan and never innovate. If Fred can sort that out, then he's a serious leader.

• Advertisement

Well the issue is clearly identified which is half the battle.

The drivers are not happy with strategy, Hamilton will I'm sure have sought clear promises of top class hiring in that area before signing.

Fred is not bound to hire from.within. he can surely headhunt for a capable team of strategists. Their job will be to get it right, not keep the head down and hope all goes as planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Can the dts spoilers or any conversations related to it stick to the dts thread.

This Kimi Antonelli hype seems a bit daft. A lot of pressure on him to hit the ground running and at the very least be central to the F2 title fight based on links to a 2025 F1 seat.

“The next Max Verstappen” has been used to describe him. 95% of the next Schumacher’s and next Senna’s over the years have either never made it to or never made it in F1.

Ms

Well this is the General Discussion thread and it's generally been talked about here before but ye I did not know there was a DTS thread. Will keep it there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I’d say it still irks Toto that he missed out on signing Max because they couldn’t offer him a seat in F1 at the time. One good thing about Lewis leaving a year early is it gives Merc plenty of time to evaluate Kimi, if he’s not ready to jump straight into Lewis’s seats then maybe try get him into the Williams replacing Sargeant?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Could Merc go for Ocon? Is Toto his manager or did that end when he left Merc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,260 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think, of all available, the one who deserves it the most is Albon, closely followed by Sainz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭This is it

I really hope Sainz gets a decent seat for '25

Ms

I woukd not have a problem with Piere Gasly going to Mercedes. Tgat coukd be his best chance to win races abd even a championship if that is what he really wants.

This year between Piere and Ocon should be interesting after there f ups last year in Australia and Monaco.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I found a youtube channel that's uploading old races in full. Big Zeddie - YouTube I just watched the 2003 German GP.

Good news for sky f1:

Best thing they did last year was bin Johnny Herbert and hire Bernie.

I mentioned on the broadcast thread as well that David Croft will be missing three Grand Prix this year.

Will be nice to get an alternative to Crofty for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Who is the alternative for Crofty? Alex Brundle? Alex Jacques? David Kennedy?!?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Hijpo

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Surely peter collins, I miss the gauntlet and attrition chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭jj880

Ford not happy. Demanding an update on the Horner debacle.

According to AP, Farley adds that while Ford trust that the investigation is fair, the manufacturer is “increasingly frustrated, however, by the lack of resolution or clear indication from you about when you anticipate a fair and just resolution of this matter.

“We are likewise frustrated by the lack of full transparency surrounding this matter with us, your corporate partners, and look forward to receiving a complete account of all findings.”

He concluded the letter by calling for “prompt and serious attention” to the matter, report AP.

Farley also reportedly notes in the letter that 11 days had passed since Ford first requested further information into the investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ford obviously making sure they're well distant from this whole thing. That's language used to exercise break clauses in case Red Bull is dirty to handle while Horner is TP.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Its race week!

It is surprising that it's dragging on as much as it is. I understand they need to follow a process but I don't see why it has taken so long - for all the importance of it it does sound like a relatively straightforward claim that shouldn't be too hard to investigate.

Red Bull will need to be very transparent when they issue whatever the outcome is though, especially if Horner stays put...

• Advertisement

I like him. Unlike David Croft he didn't steal "Lights Out, Away We Go" from Ben Edwards and came up with his own catchphrase.

He sounds decent enough!

Not sure if it was mentioned already but there are some rules changes/tweaks for this year:

Two interesting are:

• DRS kicking in after 1 lap instead of 2.
    • The Sprint Weekend format has changed to bring the Sprint Quali from Saturday back to Friday. The Sprint Race will be Saturday morning with the main GP quali later on the Saturday.

Makes the sprint weekend more logical imo:

Friday - Free Practice, Sprint Quali

Saturday - Sprint Race, GP quali

Sunday - GP

There'll be two parc fermé periods on those weekends but at least they can make changes to the cars after the sprint race and before the GP quali starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭jj880

Outcome on Horner expected tomorrow / Wednesday.

A decision is expected to be made and communicated on either Tuesday or Wednesday, when Horner is scheduled to return to Bahrain from the UK. The opening practice sessions of the 2024 F1 season take place on Thursday, ahead of Saturday's race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I wouldn't normally post Red Bulls promotional stuff here, but this is incredible.

Skip to 6:12 to see Liam Lawson in the RB8, and 9:33 for Max in the RB20 if you don't want to see the other bits.

Showing off the brand new car in the wet, before the first race of the season, with some crazy footage. I'm sure the timing is closely related to the Horner stuff.

Interesting to see how much the car slides in the wet from this angle. It's like a video game.

I was just about to post the same video, the footage is brilliant, shame about the wet track for Max’s run although he wouldn’t have been pushing the new car to its limit anyway. The speed of the drone around Copse when following Lawson was very impressive!

I notice they’ve built some new buildings just before the entrance to Maggotts & Becketts? Fancy looking viewing houses or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Was also about to post that video, it's crazy how quick the drone is and manoeuvrable it is.

I notice they’ve built some new buildings just before the entrance to Maggotts & Becketts? Fancy looking viewing houses or something.

Yeah, think it's 6 or 7 houses - they were broadcasting from them last year, although from memoryonly one was finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They keep advertising to me on Facebook. If I won the Euromillions I'd buy a flat in Monaco over one of these.

Imagine having those drones for race footage

From some of the recent Red Bull footage, you can really see how big F1 cars have gotten since the RB1.

It is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Ridiculous. Imagine how much more overtaking there would be with smaller cars.

Smaller cars that couldn't get near each other. We had whole seasons without any notable overtakes. I'd take the current cars over that..... if they had v8 or v10 engines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement