Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

People don't have more money in their pockets to spend on cars than they did pre covid, pre brexit. Early adopters that could afford it lapped up EVs but that market stage has passed, they now need to be made affordable. And they are also abandoning premium brands in their droves in favour of mainstream and even upstart brands.

Expecting 2 year old i4s to sell at 60k is madness, it doesn't have any more range, doesn't have a huge power advantage and isn't exactly practical compared to what's out there brand new for much less money.

A 330e msport brand new was about 47k not so long ago. 60k was new money for the class above, 5 series, A6, E Class.

BMW have some egos on them too, introducing a cut price sport model in the i5 to protect their image instead of just accepting the msport is massively overpriced.

The mainstream are matching them now in most ways, they have really upped their games. From the 1970s to 2010s BMW and the other premium Germans were better cars than their Asian competition and priced accordingly, in this current age they haven't moved on but moved their prices up to retain the perception of premium. But the gig is up I feel. May annoy some owners and fans but I feel it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As a BMW fan, it pains me to say I think you are mostly right there, @Buddy Bubs

I do think BMW will survive (a few years ago I doubted that) but they are currently taking the mick with their EV pricing for what aren't even the greatest of cars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yeah I'm a fan of the brand but not what they're offering at the moment. I bought my first car aged 22 which was an e36 318is and up to now almost 20 years later I've had a BMW on the drive except for a period of about 3 years, don't have one at the moment but I'm sure I will again. There's a few things out on the market at the moment I'll be buying used before going back to BMW though, my next BMW hasn't launched yet.

They will survive, but not as a mass manufacturing high priced premium brand selling everything from 1 series to 8 series with an x variant of everything. But markets change, companies change, they'll adapt.

The other 2 big Germans need to do the same, I don't know why Audi as a part of a massive VW group bother competing at lower ends with its siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dr.dundrum

As a fan of thread, I see so few bargains last 3 weeks. I think people like me act soon not to miss the low price levels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

ID.4 - 77kWh version €25,950. High enough miles, €25K would surely buy it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/36126576

• Advertisement

Another Fluence, asking €3,500. Not stated the battery is owned and the car looks a bit battered, not clean, NCT out since last year. But it does come with a car charge point and granny cable

These cars are brilliant as a second family car that never needs to do more than about 50km in a day (which applies to the majority of second family cars in Ireland). Far more comfortable and pleasant to be in and look at than a Leaf

I doubt he would refuse a €2,500 offer. And that would make it a total bargain if it checks out and needs nothing for the NCT

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-fluence-electric/35060353?modal=gallery#

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Not sure where they are getting the money, but actually people must have a lot more money in their pockets - car prices are really expensive now - and its not just ev's - Polo 1.0 95bhp late 20's, and a 115bhp Golf TDI is well into the 40's, even a Corolla is late 30k's, C200 AMG Line is 80k. Add to the high list prices are very limited discounts and almost no cheap PCP deals (even an Octavia is 5.9% with a new model coming soon).

Despite all the increases across all segments of the market, sales are up massively over 2023. I personally can't work it out but it's clear money is no problem for a lot of people.

I do agree re your point on the premium makes, especially more so when it comes to EV's. Buying premium brand was always paying a lot for the brand, but it often got you a drive-train that simply wasn't available on cheaper mass market cars - e.g. BMW famous 6 cylinder engines were a thing of beauty to the senses and the sound alone was worth shelling out 10k or even 20k more than a similar bhp Toyota Avensis or Mondeo, but as you say now every EV manufacturer - even the new entrants, have similar drivetrains, with similar range, power and acceleration and also similar levels of spec and space. Paying a fortune on something like an i5 M60 gets you blistering acceleration - but you can get that today for small money (e.g. MG4 X Power). For me, I would always have coveted the top of the range BMW's, and to a lessor extents Merc's and of course the RS Audi's and wondered if I could engineer my life to afford one, but now I look at these premium EV's with a billion bhp and dont feel I'm missing out by not having the budget to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭User1998

Thats actually a really clean car apart from the scratch on the drivers door. A bit of sandpaper, filler, and a rattle can would make it look a lot less noticeable

Another potential here Model 3P 221 for 35k. Seems on the money?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IEVOA/permalink/3618041078437154/

Though one thing is that the battery was replaced after 25k, not v inspiring, you’d be expecting a lot longer life wouldn’t you?

• Advertisement

Going back to diesel for someone who is doing 30k km per year? Just because they lost free work charging? Seems strange. Diesel is going to cost more even if you can't get home charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I doubt it is currently meeting all EU requirements for new cars, so I can't see it coming here or for anywhere near that price. There is substantial shipping costs and then there are our local taxes. Current base BYD electric car is a small basic car and still nearly €30k before you take off the Irish €3.5k subsidy

But no doubt will we see fully electric cars from China in the same segment as and of at least the same build quality as a Toyota Corolla and probably a much better standard spec, for many thousands less. Corolla was already beaten as best selling car in the world last year. It will never be best selling again, it's a has been. And the same might well go for the whole of Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Aye, Europe funded Russia's takeover of Ukraine with eyes wide shut and will go a fair way toward finding China's takeover of Taiwan and the South China Sea.

Consumers need a kick up the hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭td2008

Mine was replaced at 40km too. There's also another red M3P on the group that has the battery replaced - you'd wonder what the actual percentage replacements are and what that would look like it a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Guys were congratulating each other here, when their model S battery ceased to work, I do not find a replacement engine or battery reassuring or a bonus, in my mind "its how long before the same happens again.

This is the cheapest model S, the new owner can call it triggers broom,

"The only old part from 2014 is a bare shell. Everything else was replaced courtesy of Teslas amazing warranty."

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-s-performance-85-free-supercharging/36384188

20 k

Post edited by kanuseeme on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭User1998

And it also needs €3.5k spent on the air suspension

@kanuseeme - "Guys were congratulating each other here, when there model S battery ceased to work"

Yep. That had nothing to do with the actual battery being problematic on the pre-facelift Model S (up to very early 2016), but because the battery compartment wasn't 100% waterproof long term on them. So eventually moisture got in, had an impact on a few battery cells, which gave BMS errors. Then Tesla would proceed to replace the battery.

Not with a new one in most cases, but with a reburbished one. But they did sort out the seal, that was the reason for the joy / congratulations. My own 142 Model S got a battery from a 2013 Model S back in 2020 😂 The car has since done over 100k km without battery issues

Did they explain why it was replaced, and why they didn’t just replace a few bad cells etc? I often hear how full batteries don’t fail, at most it’s a cell or two, and how easy it is to replace one or two cells and how a full battery failure is extremely unlikely to be required on a second hand EV. Seems odd Tesla would replace a complete battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

I guess it's easier and faster to swap out a full battery pack rather than messing around with individual modules and trying to balance and calibrate everything.

The old battery pack can then be repaired and repurposed at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tesla don't repair individual cells. They swap out the pack, then repair the cells inhouse and use it for a further battery swap down the line

To add to that: they don't repair the cells inhouse locally at your Tesla service center. The packs to back and forth to an international centre, in the case of the whole of Europe, they come from and go to the Netherlands.

Not sure if that is wise though. It isn't all that hard or time consuming to swap out internal battery slabs (there are about 14-16 in them in a Model S / X). I doubt Tesla repair at cell level, not worth the effort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Modules are not repaired, they are taken out and matched with modules from other failed packs, Tesla are also hush hush on what they do with faulty modules

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So Merc BMW Audi- yes they had their luxury but wasn’t it the engines, the handling etc that was their key selling point? We’ve seen complaints certainly about BMW and Mercedes having cheap internal fittings/cabins in recent years - so what’s the USP for these brands I wonder, in the EV market?

People may still have brand snobbery but not to the extent of the past- they may not still buy a Hyundai but they’ll consider a Tesla over a BMW - it’s worth thinking about what made Mercedes etc great, in order to determine what the future holds for them now.

Mercedes traditionally had build quality and luxury as USP. Audi? Not so much - more souped up more stylish Volkswagens in my book - they never really made it as serious competitor to BMW / Mercedes. Although they have had benefits over the years from sharing parts with the real high end makes bought by their parent company. Like the V10 racing engine from Lamborghini, the etron GT (Porsche Taycan clone), etc.

For me the pick was always BMW, like you say for the drive and for the engines too, I've had plenty of their V8 and straight 6 engines, all petrol of course. Not those cancer rattle boxes they have been mostly making the last couple decades

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Remember all the Hyundai batteries replaced in the first year. The owner said it was a fault on the dash but still worked perfectly. Tesla decided to change the battery in any case. I don’t see an issue with that in fairness. You’re bound to get some failures in mass produced cars. All brands suffering from it at the moment and in the past.

Manufacturers won’t replace cells. It’s full replacement. Same for all brands. Recent EME failure in a 530e, BMW looking for €17k to replace it alongside the adjacent components.

EME repaired in an independent for €3k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

18 month old Long distance version of the mg5 with fairly low mileage for €18.5k

You'd have to check a few things.

1. It looks like it's on northern plates, the ad lists it as one owner, but Wikipedia says the avi reg plate was first issued in 2023 so I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding something, but it's definitely something you'd have to check
    2. Assuming that's ok, just double check the omsp is low enough. It should be, but I got a fairly crazy omsp for my ioniq 38, basically double what I paid for it

Advertisement