Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I hate to see it from opposing players, posts like that, , so I don't like Bradley doing it, it's not the Liverpool way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I was at Anfield in the 80s and saw Hansen, standing on the centre circle, hands on his hips watching the game unfold in front of him, thinking, "come at me"

there will never be another Hansen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,888 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm heading over Wednesday, probably the only game I'll get to this season unless we make the Europa league final, and I'm genuinely hoping the only name I recognise is Adrian.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nunez nearly knocks Jones down the steps, clears the hoarding and everything behind it like a horse in the grand national. Looper I love him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's nuts - he seem to do absolutely everything at full throttle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

My hole I remember Hansen too not in the same planet as Virgil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Hanson and Lawrenson

The foundation of greatness

Different times. Hard to compare then and now

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

i know you can’t just compare medals. But 8 league titles and 3 European cups for Hansen. Add in comparative fees at the time Hansen not cheap but not vvd astronomical level. Vvd has been incredible and was great today. Also had some seasons where he wasn’t as consistent, had a big injury too. But crazy to say Hansen not in the same planet, hard to compare then and now but I’d have him clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Virgil is good but he ain't a patch on Hanson,that guy was the closet thing to Beckenbauer the English game ever had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kefflin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

As I watched the game live, am I right in thinking that Klopp didn't shake the referee's hand? It was quick, and flashed by, in the after-match celebrations, but it looked to me like he shook the hands of the two ref's either side but then blanked Kavanagh. Anyone else spot that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's strange to see that we had 5 yellows and they had 2, given the way that game went. Pretty saucy from the ref.

Not certain about the non-shake but wouldnt be at all shocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think he did, although there wasn't much interaction between Klopp and the officials. Still baffles me that the referee and the assistant on that side saw nothing wrong with the Caicedo tackle on Gravenberch and I think Klopp probably thinks the same. The moment is around 1m30 into the below video,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

haha touche. 😁

However for me getting Mainz up in that 3rd season after losing out on goal difference the year before and by a point the season before that will never be topped, they'd never been in the Bundesliga before that either right? The mental fortitude it takes to go again after losing out by a point not to mention to go again a 3rd time after missing out on goal difference....And we are talking about an entire year's work here going up in smoke to those tiniest of margins. This was 120 minutes.

But yeah ok let's say i subjectively think what he did at Mainz is the most impressive.

The whole match is being replayed on Sky Sports football at the moment - i've been re-watching since the middle of the first half. But it's into the second half of extra time now, in case anyone fancies reliving that amazing crescendo :)

Yeah, still amazing the second time 😁

Watching it with less nerves, it's genuinely insane how little impact the Chelsea subs had. Like, barely-turned-18 year old Danns ended up being far more impactful than 50+ million Nkunku, who barely had a touch and didn't seem all that bothered about forcing his way into the game.

<edit>

I also just love that Virg shared that first big trophy lift with Klopp, the pair of them lifting it together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Those officials look like they want the ground to swallow them up,at the very least they backed Chelsea to win...,😊😊😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,413 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Rumours that he's price at 16/1 for the national now. Be a great each way bet 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Still buzzing this morning.

This club lads. This club.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Imagine Being Us 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Not sure whose going to be available or risked on Wednesday, so hard to see us get through there, but, for Forest next week, we should hopefully have Nunez and Szobo back, and maybe Salah too. Midfield is basically down to the bare bones, Gravenberch looks like he'll be out for a while, Endo also left on crutches, so likely not available, and Mac Allister also took some knocks yesterday, but, will have to play. Assuming Endo is out next week, would think midfield against Forest will be Mac Allister, Szobo and Elliott will start with Nunez, Gakpo and Diaz upfront, would be hoping Salah can at least make the bench.

I don't think Jones will be back before the international break, looked to be moving very gingerly yesterday, Trent still wearing a knee brace, hard to see him back by end of March. Of the injuried players I think only Nunez, Szobo, Salah and hopefully Endo are the only players likely to be available before the international break, it's going to be a tricky few weeks to navigate and we'll likely see the youngsters getting more game time, which is great in one way as they have done fantastic but, hard to win the league if we have to keep relying on them. Great to have one trophy in the bag, takes a bit of pressure off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Talisman

Endo left the stadium on crutches with a protective boot. We're running out of players to field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

No idea who will play on Wednesday - hopefully the catering staff.

Southampton at 13/2 look fantastic value - you'd suspect Klopp would be more that happy to get knocked out with one cup already secured and a title race and Europe to contend with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,537 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Team for Wednesday...

...knowing us they'd still somehow find a way to win 🤣

Still lost for words today. This team is utterly ridiculous, I love them so much

• Advertisement

Injuries are a major worry with 2 weeks till city come to anfield. Losing Endo is a disaster, him and macca put in some shift yesterday.

Quite a team that's missing 😕

Allison

Trent - Matip - Bajcetic

Endo - Grav - Jones - Szobo

Mo - Darwin - Jota

Bench: Thiago, Doak (and I may have forgotten someone)

Although Szobo and Darwin are hopefully ok, Mo too. Endo may have just been a precaution...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah zip-a-dee-a

My oh my, what a wonderful day

Plenty of sunshine headed my way

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah zip-a-dee-a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Endo was crocked by Caicedo in ET, there's a clip going around of Caicedo literally bouncing off him and still failing to stop him as Endo gets his pass off. Absolutely shocking that we got 5 yellows and Chelsea got 2 after kicking our players all game. Caicedo alone injured 2 of our players and persistently fouled all game, yet wasn't booked. A subtle, yet sinister, referreeing performance. Liverpool will not be allowed win this league unfortunately.

Huge performances from Endo, Kelleher, VVD. The whole squad was amazing, in fairness.

Southampton are struggling at the moment, having lost 3 of their last 4 games. If Nunez and Szoboszlai are fit to play, I'd be confident of a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Starting the morning after with a clearer head.

It's definitely the most satisfying League cup win I can remember.

It's such a relief knowing that no matter what happens from here on out, Klopp leaves with a trophy.

Chelsea getting as much flak as we are praise this morning.

Edit: A complete aside but can't believe winning the competition only gets you 100k.

Edit 2: Googling Carabao Cup gives you a neat little fireworks display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭McFly85

Southhampton is winnable, home game with a championship team not in the best of form and surely prioritising a promotion push. But I wouldn’t be risking anyone in that game if there’s a choice in it. Games will be coming think and fast and I feel after yesterday the FA cup is a distant third in the priority.

Having said that it wouldn’t surprise me to see the kids starting and getting a result! The atmosphere in that squad right now looks unbelievable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Southampton have dropped off form after an excellent run so I'd imagine the FA Cup isn't a priority for them atm either.

This is the kind of game that Minamino and Origi would be perfect for

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Just even thinking about the team that finished yesterday, wow, every kid at that club must be thinking of we put in the work we have a chance, I hope whoever it will be taking over follows suit. To win that with those kids was unbelievable. I know I criticised Kelleher on here few weeks back with his command of the box but he was exceptional yesterday. Could not fault any player, officials were a disgrace and as one.poster above said they will try screw us over in the league I feel. Play the kids Wednesday, no way any of that starting 11 should be involved, give them a rest, league has to be priority but knowing Klopp he will go out to win it.

What a team, I'm glad Jurgen came and helped my kids support Liverpool, couldn't bare them supporting another team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,179 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool should release a DVD of that VVD performance yesterday!

Up there with one of his best ever, and was getting better and better as the game went on. He was controlling an entire third of the pitch for the last 40 mins of it. Endo had the middle third. And because of this, it allowed the young lads to settle and be a bit free-er, play their natural game and not have any worries. It allowed Liverpool to stay high up the pitch and keep the pressing game going, which had it's own risks with the big pitch and young lads getting caught out of position. But VVD was so good that he could just be in the right areas to sweep up.

IIRC, VVD has won man of the match in 3 cup finals now for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Hard to recall 1 error made by any of the 16 players who played yesterday. Immense.

Hugely disappointed with Gakpo yesterday, didn't step up, barely showed for the ball, didn't get stuck in. Contrast to Diaz who dragged the entire team up the pitch for 2 hours on his own, run ragged.

~I'd have him gone in the summer, he's a good player but he just isn't agressive enough or in tune with the rest of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Clattenberg saying the decision against VVD's first goal was very flimsy.

Also saying that Poch should get in trouble for saying before the game that he hopes the officials don't give Liverpool any freebies as it was Klopp's last season.

Based on the evidence we saw that comment could have been in the officials minds with some of the sxxt calls being made all game.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13124369/MARK-CLATTENBERG-Virgil-van-Dijk-disallowed-goal-liverpool-chelsea-carabao-cup.html

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I hope you are right about Salah, Mo and Szobo but still a concern none of them were even on the bench yesterday. It would be great to get a positive update on their return but feels like Mo might take longer.

I really don’t think Klopp risks returning all 3 at the same time vs Forest either way . That’s the concern after sheer effort yesterday and injuries to Grav and Endo , the fixture list is brutal with City only in 2 weeks sandwiched in between UEFA, FA Cup and Forest. Everton away after so it doesnt stop.

So important to pick up 3 points vs Forest this weekend coming. Szobo return huge to help balance the MID.

• Advertisement

I agree about Gakpo not having that aggression in his game. The odd thing is that he was the first stepping in when Chilwell pushed Bradley, and he looked really angry. If only he could transfer that feeling too his game

If we have to punt our chances of the FA Cup to focus on the league so be it. Its unrealistic to think we can continue to fight on 3 front with this many injuries. We are down to 2 midfielders, Macca and Elliot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hopefully Salah and Nunez are back next week. Not sure I’d risk starting them on Wednesday. Maybe bench. Any idea when Szobo is back?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭JimboJones99

Gakpo didnt play particularly well yesterday but it was a difficult game for a central striker to be fair. The middle was very congested and he didnt have the usual quality around him either that he could feed off. I wouldnt read a whole lot into his performance yesterday other than I thought he worked very hard for little reward but at times that is what is needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not too bothered about Southampton - should have a few players back and a few who only played 30/60 minutes yesterday, plus a few fresh kids. If they lose, so be it. Rest Van Dijk, though.

More worried about Forest, to be honest.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He's played 2.5 games since Last Saturday and bagged two goals but he cuts a slightly disgruntled figure at times.

I know we need to rest people but part of me wonders would be benefit from a even more minutes against Southampton?

Probably can't risk it.

Adrian

Bradley Quansah Gomez Tsimikas

Elliot McConnell ?

Clark Gakpo Danns

Few 1st team players on the bench

The best thing about Southampton is there are no replays this round. Would be horrible to have to fit in a game down there.

Szoboszlai declared himself fit to play last Friday but the medical team advised that it was better not to risk him. He did an interview with the Hungarian media where he made it clear that he wasn't happy with the decision. Ljinders had said that Szoboszlai, Nunez and Salah needed a few more days because they hadn't trained with the squad. I would expect at least two of them to feature against Southampton.

• Advertisement

No problems at all with Gakpo, he definitely worked very hard yesterday. Absolutely fine as 5th choice forward, and still bags plenty of goals in limited time - and offers something a bit different. He’s been played in a rake of different positions too, but never complains, and just gets on with it.

For midweek, its two teams putting out weakened sides, so I think there’s every chance we can get through. Probably go with something like;

Kelleher

Bradley, Gomez, Quansah, Tsimikas

McConnell, Mac, Clark

Koumas, Danns, Gakpo

With Mac and Gakpo playing no more than an hour max.

Advertisement