Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Talisman

Watching the game, I felt Diaz ran down a lot of blind allies going on his own rather than passing to a better placed team mate. Gakpo did well considering what little support was available to him, if he had scored with the header in the first half people would have a very different opinion of his contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hope Endo's injury was just a knock and that protective boot was precautionary, he is absolutely vital for the city game, him and Macca creating some partnership in midfield.

Its actually pretty important we beat Southampton, it will postpone the derby game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,179 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Half time really was when I actually believed Liverpool could win it. Pre-game and the team news had me a bit deflated I won't lie. But then the performance totally got me up again. The pressing in the first half was incredible. Some of the best I've seen under Klopp's time.

At half time, I said to one of the lads in the pub that if Klopp text me a generic message to run through the wall, I would without hesitation! Let alone how the players in the changing room with him for 15 minutes are feeling. Bradley spoke very well after the game, but both himself & Clark mentioned how he gives all the young players such confidence that they want to do that for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

That looks about right, I'd imagine Konate, Mac Allister might only do 45 mins. Mac Allister in particular needs to be protected as if we lose him we are f****d.Hopefully Szobo, Nunez and Salah can get a few minutes into them, any more injuries and we are goosed. Is there extra time on Wednesday if level in normal time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

MacAllister looked shattered coming off yesterday, unsurprisingly - definitely wouldn't be playing him mid week again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

You couldn’t possibly play Elliot after 120mins yesterday. Possible Bradley and Gapko play having been taken off earlier in the game but if gapko did play it would a strong sign Klopp knows he’s has Mo or Nunez coming back .

My prediction for the line-up against Southampton:

Kelleher, Bradley, Quansah, Gomez, Tsimikas, Clark, McConnell, Szoboszlai, Nunez, Danns, Gakpo

Forgot Elliott played the full game! Not a chance I would be playing Macca, he shouldn't even be on the bench, royally fucked if we lost him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,537 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Elliott looked spent when he collapsed on the pitch after Luton. No idea how he complete the match yesterday (and worked damn hard through it all). He definitely deserves/needs a break

In his post match interview Klopp said something along the lines of not being sale to ask anyone who played the full match to go again on Wednesday

Yeah was just gonna say the same thing. Elliott looked wrecked after the Luton game, never mind 120+ mins yesterday. Elliott is a worker too who does expend that extra energy during a match. He put in a great shift yesterday in multiple different roles. Shuttled form RW to midfield to RW and back again. He's been important the last few weeks and will be needed against Forest again.

• Advertisement

Many many things made me very happy yesterday, obviously, but seeing Elliott walk off the pitch laughing away with Kenny was very high on the list. Knowing he grew up a Liverpool fan, that his folks are, seeing that was beautiful

He should be in the conversation for MOTM yesterday, he was consistently very very good. But I think I'd have about 5th on my list, which says a lot for the team 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Just looked at the highlights this morning. What a win, so many big moments. That goal we had disallowed, still can't believe it when watched again. How in the hell did the official's reckon Colwill was genuinely going to challenge VVD for that ball, not in a million years was he getting near it! Unbelievable. So glad that didn't cost us.

That extra time performance was something else, I could count at least 3 players that physically couldn't move anymore due to cramp, and yet we still dominated the ball. McConnell and Clarke in particular were superb in extra time, they knew a few of the senior players were spent so they showed themselves for every ball to carry the mantle. Ridiculous 19 year olds, in extra time in a cup final taken possession time and time again, I've never seen the likes.

I know it was only the league cup, but that was honestly one of the sweetest cup final victories in memory considering the circumstances!

A missed opportunity for Kelleher. The photo will probably be on display at the Academy for generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not sure the academy can claim too much credit for Elliott - maybe photoshop him out and Kelleher in 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I see they have photos up in the plane going home,, not sure how much quicker it could be to drive to the airport, security etc even with obvious fast track,,, flight clearance,back to Liverpool airport,back to anfield presumably than getting on a bus and driving Wembley to anfield,six of one at an uneducated guess, difficult to see them gaining an hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Great day yesterday, and a very special one for the academy and the foundations Klopp & co have set their starting to bear fruit.

Sure the league cup is 4th priority at the season start but to win in the fashion we did against Chelsea with their billion+ spend on players makes it as satisfying win as any. Southampton will come and go, the result, who knows. Definitely need a few players back for Forrest at the weekend however.

i'd guess they're driven right onto the tarmac to a private plane, board right off the bus, and take off asap. Same in reverse in Liverpool. And probably straight from the plane to home, rather than via Anfield or Kirkby.

Thats a private flight, drive is about 5-6 hours. Heathrow isn't 10 miles from wembley, flight is far quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭atilladehun

No security I'd say, do they use a private airport or was it definitely Heathrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

People travelling with kids are usually fastracked at the airport 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

not that any of you asked, but I've been trying to think objectively about where Virgil stands in the pantheon of PL centre backs, and this is where I'm at.

any conversation around the 'greatest' has to incorporate both individual and team stats, as well as the eye test. for instance, you're not merely one of the greatest players if you happened to win a lot of trophies. you also can't merely pass the eye test and not prove yourself to be a winner.

on the eye test, I would say no PL player touches him bar Rio Ferdinand. Virgil is the complete defender in the same way Rio was - the elegance, the anticipation, the aerial prowess, the quickness and the technical ability, as well as the threat at set pieces. i don't think, on eye test specifically, John Terry is better, Vidic is better, Vincent Kompany is better, nor Tony Adams is better. that's just from what I see. as an overall player, nevermind just a defender, he is just that good.

his only problem comes when it comes to trophies. that's literally it. if he had a couple more PLs and another CL, I don't think argument would even be happening where people are putting him below the likes of Carvalho (who I rate) or Gary Pallister (who I also rate).

i think he's comfortably overall PL top 5 now, and goes top 3 if he wins another league.

the top 5 for me are Rio, Virg, Vidic, Terry and Adams in no particular order. Kompany is a sliver behind, but I wouldn't argue with him being top 5. John Stones is another who is up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think the game yesterday will have given Kelleher so much confidence he'll be wanting to play on Wednesday.

With Bradley coming off early I think he could start also as someone else said, back 4 of Bradley / Quansah / Gomez / Tsimikas. Scanlon and Robertson will probably be on the bench.

Our midfield is decimated and key players need to be rested. Can see McConnell, Clark and Szob starting. Elliot and McAllister on the bench.

Based on his hurdling yesterday I think Nunez will start with possibly Gordon and Danns or Gakpo starts and replaced with one of the others. Diaz on the bench.

FA Cup game at Anfield. Just get the win, anyway we can with the team available and give the opportunity to progress when we get more senior players fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

FA Cup game needs to honestly be an exercise in 'getting through it'.

Key players must be rested. Nobody, under any circumstances, should be rushed back. If that means play a team of u23s, so be it. not one person should be unnecessarily risked.

Feels a mistake to start anyone on Wednesday who wasnt even fit enough for the bench yesterday.

Wouldnt even be surprised to see Bradley in midfield, with Clarke and McConnell.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

saints in a promotion push so i cant see them too bothered with this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Heard Klopp say they wanted to take him off but couldn't, so he'll have to sit out most of Wednesday.

He signed for Liverpool 5 years ago and he's only 20 years old.

I'll say it again but the move to that new training ground with the academy lads training with the first team is working wonders. The standards increase but most importantly the kids can climatize to the squad, style of play and mentality. The step up to first team becomes seamless.

But the most important thing for the kids is that there is an end goal. There is a route to the first team and no better manager to bring those kids into the first team than Klopp. He has no qualms about putting them in. Bobbly Clark's tenacity and tackling. McConnells passing. He's giving them the confidence to go and do that, have no fears. That McConnell half turn, in a risky area with 2 Chelsea players around him, but he took both of them out of the game. Fantastic and is something you'd expect from an experienced player like MacAllister in top form. But it's a kid doing it. Jayden Danns turn 18 last month. He's barely even played for the u21s. He has played 9 minutes at senior level. He came on yesterday and played 40 minutes at Wembley! What other manager does that?

Some top work from Inglethorpe and the other coaches getting those kids ready for the first team it must be said.

100%

In the long run the combined academy/training ground might end up being Klopp's best legacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

The protective boot Endo was wearing is often used to aid recovery and I would think he just has some bruising.

For Wednesday they will play a weakened side and looking at Nunez & Szobo hurdling 3ft barriers down a flight of stairs, they will be on the bench and should get 20-30 minutes so that they might start v Forest.

Kelleher, Bradley, Gomez, Quansah, Tsimikas, Clark, McConnell + god knows who in midfield, Danns, Gapko, Koumas - on the bench Szobo, Nunez, Elliot, Diaz, Mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

Kelleher, Gomez, Qansah & Gakpo are certain starters on Wednesday imo. After that, depends on who is fit and not struggling. Would be a difficult call to start those who played 120 mins yesterday but needs must sometimes.

I wonder why Kaide Gordon wasn't in the squad yesterday? Is he fit? He could be one to start if fit.

Everton's points deduction reduced to 6pts, they're up to 15th now and Luton look in serious trouble

Adrian surely gets a start. Ali not back till April, I wouldn't risk our keeper in a cup game at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

The league is a joke. The lack of certainty for teams in a relegation battle of their actual league position has been present for months. Everton have more charges coming too so who knows - they might get another points deduction but will that come this season or next?

Points deductions and windows to appeal should only be allowed over the summer months so teams know where they are in the bloody league.

Can't wait for City's 'punishment'. If found guilty have enjoyed many years of success through the inaction and poor oversight and controls of the league. If not guilty they've had a stain on their reputation for nearly as long.

• Advertisement

They face another points deduction for the same charge for last season. The hearing was originally scheduled for January, but was delayed due to the appeal for the first charge. Another 6 point reduction will drop them back into the bottom 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

As said earlier klopp said in the interview after the match that the players who played the full game wouldn't be starting wednesday.

You know what I loved yesterday, after big Virg scored, we still tried to get a 2nd, players out on their feet and we were still pushing for a 2nd.

Poch confirming they were playing for penalties, that has to be the biggest indictment of his coaching. Bunch of teenagers in Liverpool's team for ET and they didn't go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭JimboJones99

I dont agree, Kelleher is the only player I would definitely start. The best thing for him now is a run of games. He gets better and better the more he plays. The next couple of weeks are vital and we need him as fine tuned as possible. He hasnt exactly been overburdened or anything! It is a bad state of affairs when you are resting your goalkeeper in case he gets injured!

At this rate Jay Spearing might make an appearance on Wednesday 😂!

• Advertisement

sure, but was already a PL player for Fulham at 16, and made his first start for the Liverpool first team even before Christmas the season he arrived (setting most of our young-player records over the following weeks). He was in 20 first team squads the season he arrived. Went out on loan for the next season to Blackburn, and has been firmly first team ever since.

All the other lads developed at the academy, hard to say the same for Elliott. He played a bit of PL2 ball for us for one season, but even with his young age, he kinda mostly skipped that bit with us - particularly in comparison to everyone else in the picture.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

I think any appeal for points deductions have to be completed by end of whatever season the deduction happens, so if Everton get another points deduction this season, the appeal will have to be completed by end of this season. I think the reasoning behind this is to give clubs certainty as to where they are playing the following season, so can plan accordingly. Letting it drift into the summer would be a disaster for all affected clubs. Everton were out of the relegation places on GD, before the points deduction was reduced, the next points deduction will probably be 6 points, so with their superior GD over the bottom 3 sides they are still likely to stay up. Forest are also under investigation and likely to get a 6 point deduction too, which will really put them under pressure to stay up. It only becomes an issue if the teams that get the deductions end up in the relegation places as, they will likely look at making a legal challenge after the season, which would complicate matters, on the other hand if they stay up, they'll just take their punishment.

Still a potential penalty for Forest too, so Luton have a few lifelines yet. Weird season in and around the relegation zone, with so much of it defined by what happens away from the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

You're right - letting it drag over the summer wouldn't work. But I do think the deduction should be set in stone before the start of the season and not implemented mid-season. It's fairer for all teams then imo.

Anyway, the dream scenario is Everton relegation and a Liverpool league win. Both are equally unlikely at this stage imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Hear me out lads, David de Gea

I listened to The Athletic podcast earlier. James Pearce for Liverpool. I forget the name of the Chelsea journo but he said the admission they were happy with penalties is a sign of psychological weakness. Hard to argue 😋

When you look at who was on the pitch, it shouldn't have been a contest. Only our desire, courage and sheer bloody mindedness meant it was

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

We don't want to be risking Kelleher or Adrian in the cup, need another keeper, outside of the transfer window, sneak in a free agent, give him the quadruple he always dreamed of

Alisson won't get a medal for the League Cup as he didn't make an appearance all season in the competition. He made 1 alright in 21/22. I think every player that makes an appearance gets a medal and 27 different players played in this competition this season.

What is worrying me is that he wasn't at the game yesterday when some of the players that are currently injured were at it. Maybe he just went back to Brazil for a while though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement