Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seems to be just the week for it, left hooked on the way home yesterday. Luckily I swung left and slammed on. I let a roar and the driver stopped to ask me to repeat what I said. Needless to say, repeating it didn't impress him (why ask if you didn't really want to know). Then he went full bingo. Where's my helmet? I told him it wasn't required but even if it was, that's hardly a reason to run someone over, to which he replied, that's why he done it (I don't actually believe him). He then asked where my Hi Vis was, I looked at the sky and laughed. I inquired could he not see me to which he said no. Which is weird because 12 seconds earlier he was running me over intentionally because he could see I didn't have a helmet. He then warned me that he was going to get out of the car and slap me, to which I laughed, I had many witty replies to this statement but alas all were thought in silence in my head. Needless to say, he didn't get out. His passenger (I think his mother) did get out and apologised. I apologised to her and said sorry about the language but if he had said sorry, it was a mistake, we'd all be on our way already. He then said, do you want to stay with him, and started to drive off with the passenger door open. At this point I realised that he hadn't his seat belt on which I found humourous considering me without a helmet apparently justified being run over. I laughed and said well at least we know what class of a lad you are now. His Mum apologised again and got in the car.

I learned that I need to not be concerned about being politically correct when dealing with scumbags and in future I should say what I think out loud as it irks me more than the interaction that I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Send that on to TrafficWatch if you remember the reg as it might at least require him to answer some questions, mention the lack of seat belt also as guard might actually act on that if he inadvertently admits it. Attitudes make a big difference in diffusing a situation so when someone does wrong, admits it and apologies I'd be inclined to let it go if no damage done but with such scum as above doubling down and/or doing so deliberately make it as difficult as possible for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The funny thing is, I don't think he done it intentionally, it was like a defense reaction but I wouldn't say he had the highest of IQs considering he repeatedly contradicted himself. His Mamai was lovely though, you'd hope he learned a lesson in diplomacy but sadly I'd say he roared abuse at her like a petulant child afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

4 weeks now. Not a whisper from Gardai or Dublin Bus.

Can't say I expected anything to happen ☹ but disappointing none the less considering a father of 3 was killed on the same road while out cycling last week

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2024/02/19/cyclist-killed-in-dublin-is-second-member-of-ucd-cycling-club-to-die-on-roads-in-a-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Contact the Data Protection Commission, data controller in the company you’ve made a GDPR request to has to respond within a month, and only can extend if they give you a written response explaining why.

DPC are fairly quick in forcing their hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Lots of distractions in cars nowadays. While it’s most likely the driver being inattentive, they could be talking on a hands free phone, or following instructions from a sat nav etc. combine that with the fact that most drivers are simply looking out for other cars, not cyclists, motorcycles or pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Not 100% sure which thread this belongs in but this one seems appropriate for a start, mods please move if appropriate.

The Dublin Inquirer has set up an active travel collision/near miss tracking website which seems quite user friendly

Hard to know what effect it might have but a visual record of locations of incidents should eventually build up a picture of what's happening on the roads

Post edited by nilhg on

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

That tool might be worthy of a sticky post on the forum.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Figured that I'd put this here, given the topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Very Dublin centric at the moment, though given it's a Dublin Inquirer initiative that's fair enough.@fiacha 's suggestion of a sticky isn't a bad one if we could get a wider geographic spread. It's the kind of thing that could be pointed at when trying to convince council etc. of poor infra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Not cycling related except I witnessed it from my bike.

3 teen girls crossing pedestrian crossing in Laytown. DPD van stopped to let them cross.

Old woman in brand new Dacia overtakes me and blasts through crossing including a few sparks off the ramp.

One girl on the crossing had to run/jump out of the way. The other 2 obviously have it stamped in their brain to wait for Dacias to stop.

My wife had a similar experience with an old woman at the primary school in bettystown tuesdsy. Different car. This fool stopped when my wife roared at our 5 year old to stop. No apologies or acknowledgement despite her window being open.

Post edited by Wildly Boaring on

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

Not sure if this is the correct thread, however I have seen this type of situation discussed here before.

I was driving this morning and had an interaction with a couple of cyclists and I want to see if I was in the wrong. This is a junction I turn at daily so I would appreciate any response. It is also busy with cyclists, but this is the first time this has happened where verbals were exchanged.

Turning left from Merrion road onto Ailesbury road and was stopped at the lights, second car from the front. I had my indicator on and was positioned in the middle of my lane.

This is a left turning lane, but would also have a painted cycle lane, boarded by a broken while line. There is also a bus lane ending approx 50m before the junction and continues on after the junction.

I was in front of all cyclists from the point I turned into the lane. First cyclist came up from behind, banged on my car and rolled up to the window shouting that I was in the cycle lane, which was repeated by another cyclists.

Now it is my understanding that I am allowed be there if I am turning left and clearly indicating that that was my intention, and cyclists are supposed to wait behind until I have turned. I don’t think I can do anything different, but would rather not have a similar confrontation again. Below is an arial picture of the junction. I was in the same position as the white van.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

I can't see that you did anything wrong - where else could you have been if you were turning left? The guy sounds like an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I believe the idea is you're meant to leave the cycle lane clear and wait for cyclists to go ahead before you turn left.

I'd be pissed off too if someone moved in to deliberately block the lane as well tbh. One car at the front not too bad, I usually move to the right or directly behind any cars I see with left indicators on at a junction anyway but generally it happens that people behind go "monkey see, monkey do" and you end up with several hundred metres of cycle lane that's blocked by cars.

Thanks for the response and this is why I asked the question.

On your first point, I always thought that a cyclist cannot pass on the left if a car has indicated to turn prior to them arriving. Is that not correct?

I also can’t leave the cycle lane clear. The bus/cycle/car lane isn’t wide enough. So by just being in the lane I’m “blocking” the cycle lane. The light was red, so are both stopped.

Even though you say you’d be annoyed, you actually describe what I thought should happen. I indicate left and position myself so and would have expected the cyclist to pass me on the right. If no room, wait.

And finally, and I guess this goes back to the first point. Who has right away? if one cyclist squeezes by, given the time of the morning, you could have a lot following, while I just sit there, despite being there first.

Welcome to the world of sh1te cycling infrastructure where it frequently puts people on bikes in direct conflict for space with people in driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

If the light is red I would think you can keep far enough right in your lane to allow cyclists filter up inside you.

In the arial photo you provide the van is covering half the cycle lane but is nowhere near the right hand line. If they moved across cycle lane is free and everybody wins.

While the cycle lane is shared use it is annoying as a cyclist when vehicles position to the left of the lane and block the ability to filter up on the inside. Cyclists shouldn't have to wait behind you at lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's a dashed line cycle track, so non-mandatory, therefore you're allowed drive in it. So complaints about you being in the cycle lane should be directed to the local authority who didn't make a larger cycle track and mark it with a solid white line.

However, while you're waiting with your indicator on, cyclists are allowed overtake on the left or right. They may not overtake a vehicle on the left where "vehicle to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle". (SI 2012/332)

So while a driver is sitting in a non-moving queue, or is far back from the turn, cyclists can proceed up the inside. However, as a driver (who is indicating) approaches the turn, a cyclist is no longer allowed to overtake on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

As this is a busy road and there was only one car in front of the OP at the red light, I would guess that the light had not been red for long and could reasonably expected to remain red for some time. So the cyclists were going to have to stop shortly regardless of whether the OP passed them.

If the OP had passed the cyclists and then immediately braked, forcing them to brake as well, then yes, I could see them being vexed, because that's dangerous rather than merely inconvenient. The appropriate thing to do in that circumstance would have been to wait for the cyclists to pass and then (if safe to do so) move into the left-turn lane. Of course, this would probably mean some jackass behind them blasting the horn and using the left-turn lane to overtake. But you can't drive other people's cars for them.

However, if the OP passed the cyclists some distance from the junction and gave them plenty of room before pulling into the left-turn lane, I really don't see what the cyclists were complaining about. The light was red, so they were going to have to stop anyway. So they were held up by the length of one car. It's not a big deal.

EDIT: OP, would it have been possible to just wait behind the cyclists in the same lane?

Sorry this was initially responding to @MangleBadger but probably covers other responses

Not sure I would agree with your last sentence.

There is no advance stop line, so where are they going. The cyclist should stop in line with the first car before the pedestrian lights, as the stop line continues across the cycle lane. Me being the second car really shouldn’t impact them too much especially as it’s a shared lane and I have indicated my position before their arrival.

Anyway, I agree on Seth’s take that it’s bad infrastructure. Hopefully the bike lane from the Merrion Gates can be extended and can proceed without Bus Connects as it’s badly needed. It also a strange junction as the green light for the Merrion Road is on 90% of the time with only a small run for both Ailesbury Road and the pedestrian crossing, so probably won’t be caught in this situation again!

*just to add, I was in the right straight lane until the bus lane ends about 50m from the junction. When I moved lanes there was no cyclists beside me or in front of me. As noted, the lights here are typically always green for traffic towards town and have very short times for the other roads / pedestrian crossing, so even the lights were red when I arrived, they do change quickly to green.

Post edited by knockoutned on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭standardg60

In this instance the cyclists should have waited, car was ahead, indicating, and had moved to the left before they got there.

They didn't know the rules about not filtering up the lhs of a car doing so nevermind that a dashed cycle lane isn't a cycle lane, it's a shared lane so the OP was entitled to be in it.

In this instance the cyclists should have waited, car was ahead, indicating, and had moved to the left before they got there.

There was no obligation for them to wait behind the stationary car waiting at the lights.

They didn't know the rules about not filtering up the lhs of a car doing so nevermind that a dashed cycle lane isn't a cycle lane, it's a shared lane so the OP was entitled to be in it.

It is a cycle but not a mandatory cycle lane. Not being a mandatory cycle lane means that drivers can move into if necessary but that doesn't remove the fact that it is a still a cycle lane.

I agree that the OP was allowed to be there. I'm guessing that they possibly didn't need to be as left as they were but I (& you) wasn't there so don't know how far into the cycle lane the wheels sat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a great case of 'paint isn't infrastructure'.

you can see from the overhead shot that a dotted cycle lane has been created on top of, not beside, the left turning lane - very clear that if the car was not to be placed partly in the cycle lane, it thus becomes a much narrower lane than the 'straight on only' lane is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Those cyclists sound like an angry, ill-informed self-entitled bunch. Bad luck coming across them. Can't see you did much wrong. At those kind of junctions (think also N11 at the Trees Road/ Stillorgan junction) I just abandon any thought of being restricted to the cycle lane and behave instead like a car/ motorbike. In slow moving traffic you're probably going to cause less issues by just taking the lane and filtering accordingly.

As others have said, it's a case of really poor road infrastructure. Tokenism really. Perhaps the anger you encountered is a result of years of those cyclists being roared at to "get in the cycle lane" when very often there's a good reason not to use it. Or perhaps they were just angry asshats. But it should be help up as an example of what happens when you trumpet "25 Gazillion Billion Euro spent on cycling infrastructure" but in reality provide a really poor end product for people to use - it just generates conflict, confusion, fear and anger among the people using the roads.

It shouldn't be that hard to get right.

Edit: as for the banging on your car, that's not on at all. Losing the rag after nearly being taken out by a car is one thing, but nobody has the right to go around banging on other people's property just because they're angry over a perceived infraction. They'd get little sympathy from me if someone got out of their car and gave the bike a welly. There's enough aggro on the roads without that kind of nonsense being added to the pile.

Post edited by Paddigol on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You didn't do anything wrong there KnockOutNed.

For most of that stretch of road the inside lane is a bus/cycle lane but not at that junction so the cyclists are in the wrong here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

"approaches the turn" is too vague. A driver can be approaching the turn with a cyclist maybe just behind them. Should still be on the driver to ensure the way is clear.

Now if it's a case of that lad in cork who kills himself to get ahead of traffic for his videos, then to hell with it, I fully expect the car to be able to turn. I'd say if the car is a good 2 car lengths away from the approaching cyclist, maybe it's okay. 3 for sure.

I said should have waited. If they didn't want to wait then they were obligated to filter to the right as the OP had already moved to the left. That is the law.

You agree that the OP was entitled to be there, but still want to find fault that they didn't 'need' to be as left as they were. It was absolutely correct driving, the whole purpose of 'moving to the left' is to assert priority over following traffic, which is not entitled to filter to your inside then.

There is no cycle lane there, just paint on a road indicating that the rules and laws applying to that road are the same as one that hasn't been painted at all. Maybe this needs to be pointed out more rather than faffing about with vague wording and completely stupid 'vision zero' advertising campaigns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cyclists don't have to be in a cycle lane to be legally allowed overtake on the left. Vehicle indicating does not give right of way. The law on it was quoted above already

I've said before that the new wording is nonsensical, it used to be 'has signalled an intention and HAS moved to the left'.

Why anyone thought that 'a reasonable expectation' is a clearer definition is beyond me, it's up there with 'durable relationship'.

• Advertisement

They are not legally allowed to filter on the left when the vehicle has already moved to the left. The OP had already moved there.

Do you agree that the cyclists had no right to tell the OP that they shouldn't be in the non-existent cycle lane?

Advertisement