Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISI Fighter Shamima Begum Not allowed to return to the UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So bring her back to face trial and jail her for the rest of her life for all I care.

I think the trafficking thing has some relevance, but fundamentally I think she seems like a pretty bad person who knew what she was doing and I think it is completely beside the point when the UK government, for purely political reasons, chooses to make a person stateless.

Apparently I was a very advanced 15 year to know murder is bad.

A very advanced life lesson.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I highly doubt she'd get that sentence, but for me it's beside the point. I have no interest in defending her at all.

I think talking about ins and outs of trafficking and severity of her crimes are all very valid for a court case in the UK, but irrelevant to the point that she should never have had her citizenship stripped cause the Home Secretary found it politically convenient to do so at the time, and the courts backed them up on the perverse logic that they understood Bangladeshi citizenship law better than Bangladesh.

What is done with them I do not care either tbh. But it’s not the point I was making, that was to suggest she should be let off the hook because she was only 15 is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

The gang of nut jobs she went off to join, had already been on the news beheading the poor truck driver that drove over the food relief for them to feed their children.

Even at 15,, we would all know this is probably not a great place to moving to..

Do they really hate the West so much, that they ask for help from us,, and then behead us when we pull up with a truck load of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

just looking at that list, quite a lot of stuff on there the IDF are guilty of.

anyway, his post is not what you claim it to be.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

not the case as she is british and the irish government will recognise her as such.

she will be deported straight to britain and they can throw their toys out of the pram all they like but international, european and human rights law will be on our side.

she will not be coming here and in the unlikely event that she does, she will not be remaining here.

as i said, it's not going to happen.

This island and Britain also interned IRA/UVF without trial and much of the mechanism for the release of same is as a result of much negotiation and bloodshed.

ISIS are an abomination of a group and I think she deserves reasonably hefty punishment for that crime, whatever that would have been in the alternate reality where she was brought back to face trial for it. I think the fact she was indoctrinated at a young age is a compelling mitigation.

But none of that is relevant and is obscuring the actual legal question at play. Arguing about the circumstances of her enrolment is arguing that in some other circumstance making her stateless and absolving yourself of all responsibility for her would somehow be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Dont be flummoxed at all, nothing could be simpler, she is merely working for ISIS which were provided with a haven in Iraq by Britain and the US after the Daesh who were the US funded al-Qaeda that lost favour with the west had a rebranding.

So basically she went to work for a bunch of murdering thugs that slaughtered innocents after taking advantage of a power vacuum in Iraq left by murdering thugs that slaughtered and tortured innocents at industrial levels.

Simple is it not?

Of course were she white and be "chatted up" by an Islamic "groomer", she would be totally innocent and I'm sure that after Rochdale the groomer would be flayed alive. But she wasn't white, she looks foreign, so she's guilty as sin.

There we are, the entire lot sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭monseiur

That would be the logical thing to do, but sadly common sense is not that common and politicians have a knack of standing back from high profile/controversial cases when it suits and let the legal system take over.

Our current minister for justice has the back bone of a snail and could not be trusted to do the right thing if such a case landed on her desk.

Well if she were to be at risk of persecution and poses no threat, then it's a moral duty of any government to give her asylum if she qualifies.

Being unable to return to her home country seems like an acceptable reason to seek asylum, so were she to arrive in Ireland, then I would assume she has a chance of success.

On the plus point, it might keep a few hotels from going up in smoke while the racists have an easier target for their vitriol.

It must be so comforting to have all the answers. To know instantly what's right and wrong by gut feeling and sensationalised tabloid idiot fodder.

Why is it only Trumps cult that get to wear MAGA hat's, I get the impression there's a lot this side of the pod who are equally self assured "kindred spirits".

I suspect strongly that the woman is simply a martyr to the popularity of a few totally useless UK Tory MP's.

At least it shows these Muslims the true meaning of Christianity today :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

(Slightly Kwackers is agreeing with you, Cali Ashy Pope.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm far from an expert but I have read a lot about cults. And many people who are smart and capable end up being sucked into them. So it's entirely possible that she was groomed into this cult. Likewise there are many teenagers who are groomed into committing sex acts by adults. I have a feeling that the people who think that she couldn't have been groomed by ISIS might not believe that grooming is a real thing at all. They think there's no such thing as a teenage victim who can be made to believe something by an older person.

Still, without an actual trial, with actual evidence being presented, a lot of this is speculation. And that's what annoys me about this. A politician removed someones citizenship because they wanted to. There was no trial. There was no due process. Removing citizenship is a very big step to do. You can put someone in prison, but generally they'll get out. That can't happen in this case. The only appeals are about whether or not it was a legal decision, not based on whether or not she actually committed a crime.

Any serious punishment a government inflicts on it's citizens, must involve a trial. It can't be based on the whims of a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

ive had a brief look through this thread - so i may be repeating points made - but I'm in agreement with you,

She was only 15 yet the Uk government are making her a scapegoat and poster child (ironically) on some fake get tough on radical islam theme.

the uk have many more adults jailed for terror offence and many more preachers who preach jihad. yet none of them are being sent away,.

yet they do this to a 15 year old who probably didn't do much more than shout "go team" and being used as a cum bucket for loyal ISIS warriors.

its stinks and it's immoral.

She signed up for that experience.

When did 15 year olds start being treated as 5 year olds?

It's behind a paywall, but I am truly flabbergasted if that piece of Tory garbage is supporting her.

If Ms Begum wants to lay claim to any shred of decency, she needs to distance herself from Mogg and the rest of the current Tory cabal completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

What age do you think she would have an excuse? 14? 13?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭volchitsa

OMG

You have less of a problem with her chosen association with the killers and rapists of ISIS than with the UK Conservative Party.

I suspect your own support for her is more harmful to her cause than Rees Mogg's ever can be!

Here's what Rees Mogg bases his argument on:

Cecil Rhodes said that ‘to be born an Englishman is to win first prize in the lottery of life’. In my view, he was wrong. To be a Briton is the first prize in the lottery of life; it is not necessary to be born one. Each Briton is equal and there is no class between us. The person who took the oath today is as British as he whose ancestors were here before the Norman conquest. This is essential for equality and racial harmony.

So because it's Rees Mogg (who is "garbage") I take it you disagree with him?

I mean he's a Tory so he's evil and wrong?

Religion is a pretty powerful thing.

Were the Heavens Gate cult deserving of their end? Assuming the parents were all getting their just and fair "come uppance", what age should their kids be to ensure no blame?

she signed up to isis yes, but did not sign up to be raped and be a child bride as both of those are crimes and she could not consent to both at 15 as that is not possible legally.

to be fair to him, he has been very clear and consistent in that view point since her citizenship was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Legally ? legally in the area she went to voluntarily and involved herself with great glee in the Islamic state . what was legal and what wasnt legal in isis controlled areas , please inform us all

that is not possible legally.

Aren't you confusing UK law with the law in ISIS-controlled territory?

What was the age of consent there?

My support?

Can you read?

When did I give that person as an individual support? I have the utmost contempt for yet another easily manipulated adolescent. I do respect her human rights though.

It hardly comes as a surprise that Mogg should quote Rhodes, both are equally contemptible.

Yes Mogg is evil and wrong, full stop. He deceived people over Brexit and continues to deceive. I could buy in ounces in the UK before Brexit and here in the EU I can buy a 2kW or even 3kW vacuum if I wish, his lies have cost jobs and money. He is old enough and experienced enough to know right from wrong. What's more I do not believe he would be at risk of being "groomed" by anyone without vast sums of cash as an attractant.

Begum didn't harm her fellow citizens through greed, Mogg and his Tory cabal did.

I'm glad the article you posted was behind a paywall, it actually belongs in the bin though, it's the biggest pile of cobblers I have ever heard.

As I suspected, Ms Begum would have to have a very low level of moral fibre to give that Tory garbage any credence.

I didn't post it. I just know how to get around paywalls LOL

I'm just amazed at your notion that she is duty bound to refuse support from RM for what is the very basis of her claim to be entitled to British citizenship, and TBH, much as I dislike RM, I think that attitude is divisive and damaging to democracy.

RM supports and participates in the democratic process, and the idea that someone like SB has any moral right to denigrate Rees Mogg is, quite honestly, upsidedown logic.

I would nearly understand (though still disagree with) the thinking that Rees Mogg was proving his lack of moral fibre by supporting Shamima Begum's cause - but the idea that she should refuse his because he's a bad person is just bonkers.

Wrong again I'm afraid.

She is not duty bound to do anything whatsoever apart from obey the laws and respect the country and citizens of whatever country she resides in, although being a refugee and not having free choice that's a tad more complex a situation.

As someone born in England and technically still British, I can assure you that Rhodes is wrong, totally wrong. Mogg is therefore wrong.

No one is duty bound to accept anything from Mogg and his ilk, but for a statement to have value, it must come from a reliable, reputable source for most people anyway.

Having someone writing a job reference for me from a prison cell would be rejected, not from a sense of duty, more a case of having a basic sense of values and self respect.

Do you understand?

Mogg might be the pinnacle of humanity to you, someone to look up to and try in your own small way to emulate, but to us more enlightened souls, he has a lot in common with the stuff you find adhering to your footwear when dog owners don't "poop scoop".

I would run a mile to avoid any social event with either Mogg or Begum present, but if forced into the company of one, I would choose Begum. She has not lied to me and not harmed myself and fellow citizens in any way. Mogg has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes "Legally?"

"“Trafficking in persons" shall mean the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or other forms of coercion, of abduction, of fraud, of deception, of abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability or of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control of another person, for the purpose of exploitation. Exploitation shall include, at a minimum, the exploitation of the prostitution of others or other forms of sexual exploitation, forced labour or services, slavery or practices similar to slavery, servitude or removal of organs.”

Human trafficking is an offence that covers the movement of a person or people from one place to another with the intent to exploit them.

Section 2 sets out the circumstances which amount to trafficking for the purposes of “exploitation”, defined in section 3 of the 2015 Act.

Importantly, section 2(2) states: it is irrelevant whether the victim (whether an adult or a child) consents to the travel. Thus evidence of consent, or an absence of victim evidence to rebut it, is irrelevant to this charge.

Advertisement