Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The important thing is the playing population and the structures in place to produce elite players.

You could have 30 players in the right conditions and achieve that, or have 3 million in incorrect conditions and not achieve that.

All other things being equal, having a larger pool of players should be an advantage.

I don’t see that as being controversial.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Demographic factors are a bit more nuanced than 'has more people'. Even if Leinster has well over a million people, Kilkenny has under 100000 so nothing you're saying really makes any sense, but you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭durthacht

Rugby thread ...

Thanks for confirming that as the last few posts made me think I clicked a wrong button somewhere on this site and got lost... 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What's Limericks population? Clare's? Just provincial fans pointing out the systems that Leinster have. What advantages do Kerry have in football? Population? Hmmmm

Rugby thread indeed. Bought to its knees by provincial fans sniping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Nonsense.

New zealand compete for number of reasons. Number 1 sport so they get best athletes playing rugby far more than in australia.

This is only 1 year at 20s you are using to back up your point. Look at the past decade of 20s and the other age grade national teams at 18s and 19s and dominated they are by leinster

Leinster by sheer numbers, biggest playing population by a mile combined with most fee paying schools means leinster will always be ahead if, and they do, have their processes right

Marys are as traditional a school as you get. Havent been as dominant or produced players in recent times and kilkenny have produced plenty pros/internationals

Of course they will. Does that work only due to the demographics? Scouting would not be considered? Training and management?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Of course they will what?

Scouting not considered where. You are only half answerihn anything i said. Training and management where/who?

The schools for training! Leinster underage staff for scouting, identifying potential players. There's only so many lads who will progress and Leinster have consistently hit it out when selecting players.

On the point of u20's! 2021was a year that had good representation from all the provinces. This year also, if we're counting former Leinster players who switched over to another province, not so much. But it's fair to say that Ulster and Munster have stepped up brilliantly over the last few years. Regardless of Leinster's advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think the conditions for dominance have to be there but you always also need excellent coaching/management and a special generation of high level talent as well.

Leinster have the foundations but everyone is one bad hire or two, or some mismanagement from 5/10 years later wondering what happened.

Cullen and Lancaster (and other people probably as well) are what made this current leinster dominance imo. They had the resources to do it. They certainly wouldn't have done so in Connacht but they were still essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Not sure where your memory comes from. Sexton was ran into the ground by Ireland over the years, especially in the 6 nations last season at 37 years old.

It wasn't a freak event at all - it was clearly coming as he struggled with injuries the whole tournament. Sexton picked up a knock during the Wales game and was questionable to be able to play against France due to it. Then he got injured during the France game having to come off and missed the Italy game. He returned only to be asked to play 70+ minutes on back to back weekends because for over a decade no other province could develop a challenger to him, despite Leinster young players being farmed out. It all ended with him not looking right during the England game and being kept on before him hobbling off in the 73rd minute.

What he was paid has zero to do with the point, that is a positive of the central contracts that I've never contested. I was asked for an example of how a Leinster player carrying the Irish team has played a part in a Leinster loss and this is an obvious one.

Why as a kid 30+ years ago do you believe you would/should have heard about what Leinster Rugby were doing? Why would you possibly think it makes sense to base your opinion on that? I'm not too far off the same vintage as you and had friends who went through the Leinster Rugby underage system, right through playing for the senior team. I wouldn't have had a clue the interactions Leinster Rugby had with students over the years if I wasn't hearing from them about all the camps, trips etc they involved in. It would whiff of arrogance that Leinster Rugby or any other provincial/national sporting body should be keeping a child aware of what they were doing and if I didnt know that they must be doing nothing.

Leinster actually have 6 medals over the last decade, topped the domestic league 3 other times they didnt win, and came in runners up in 3 other CC finals. They definitely should have won more but top tier sport is very fine margins. Any other province would bite your hand off for a quarter of that success during a Leinster 'down' period - look at the recent reaction to a domestic league win that Leinster sent out the B team for. It is very clear you're not a Leinster fan, the jealousy and peddling of grievances gives it away.

I'd prefer if it didn't but Irish rugby does revolve around Leinster - basically every metric points to that. Unfortunately, over the years each other province has made some terrible organisational errors, something Leinster thankfully minimised since they made the breakthrough during the Cheika era, and thankfully when they've misstopped they quickly pivoted to a better direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭ersatz

This is a childish rant. Grievance is whining about how unfair the system is towards Leinster which you've done throughout this exchange. Not all Leinster fans are self absorbed fan boys but enough are to make it embarrassing.

Any team news from Leinster? Even the u12s? Anything but this utterly putrid shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I see 50+ new posts in the Leinster thread on a quiet weekend for Leinster.

"Brilliant. A few must have been at the Sarries game and graciously gave updates on what happened!"

Nope. Endless posts about hurling haha.

Come on folks. This place is meant to be a sanctuary during international windows

Ed Byrne and Larmour potentially hitting cap #100 this week!

How's that 'biscuits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

One day we may see Jamie Osborne, Andrew Osborne, Joe McCarthy, Paddy McCarthy, Harry Byrne and maybe Ross Byrne all in the same XV.

Fiji v Ireland - Buckhurst Park, Suva, 20th June, 2026

Keenan; A. Osborne, Ringrose, J.Osborne, Hansen; S. Prendergast, N. Doak, P. McCarthy, Sheehan, C. Doak; E. Edogbo, J. McCarthy; C. Prendergast, Doris, S. Edogbo

Just the 5 sets of bros.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭durthacht

Plus Harry Byrne at 15 and Ross Byrne at 13? I'm pretty confident that team would beat Fiji at hurling - or are we back on rugby now? 😁

"...neither a stronghold for hurling"

I'm going to set up a separate thread for this.

That is; Bothers in Irish rugby

not for Hurling in Irish rugby

• Subscribers Posts: 41,707 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

andrew and Jamie osbourne have three more brothers coming through as well..... imagine a 10 to 15 of osbournes !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

the younger brothers arent certain to come through.

I heard the 7 year old is actually a certainty to be the future at openside for both Leinster and Ireland

• Subscribers Posts: 41,707 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Grievance is coming into the Leinster thread and taking multiple shots at their team and fanbase and dragging into the thread nonsense that has nothing to do with rugby, like the location of 'the courts, government administration, the law firms, the media companies, the corporate tax haven'. Tinfoil hat stuff.

I never said it was unfair to Leinster - you keep moaning about and trying to knock down this complete strawman.

The point was from my original post and continues to be that central contracts aren't the pure godsend with only positives like some people try to make out, especially when it suits them to moan about some special treatment for Leinster.

My point that there are some drawbacks to players being on central contracts is not the same as saying they are unfair to the province involved. The evidence of the complaints over the last few months from certain elements of the media and other province fanbases around the impact of Irish involvement has on the few players that do have central contracts proves my point for me.

Surely Ben O'Connor would get a look in and if Shamus Hurley Langton is not Irish we'll get him on residency.

Lol! Surely Hodnett or Penny, Irishmen! Will get a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

With there being no 6N this weekend and HB not getting a run last weekend I think there'll be a call from Farrell to get Harry into the 10 shirt this Friday to keep him sharp.

This will likely spell disappointment for Sam although based on the teamsheet he got a good 80 minutes against Sarries.

Similarly, Gunne has been lightly raced the last few weeks and probably will continue to be as 3rd choice. There's good AIL minutes available this week

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Garry Ringrose due to return against England. I wonder what the plan of action will be?

Do they drop Henshaw who has played well?

Do they move Ringrose to the wing even though Nash has played well?

Do they go back to a 5-3 split so they can get one of Henshaw or Ringrose in the 23?

Do they stick with the 6-2 and just drop one of the Centres?

Going to be an interesting squad announcement later next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Pretty sure Larmour and harry pictured training with Leinster this week.

Milne played Saracens so assume he’s available and likely to be included.

Heard a rumour Boyle might be the one leaving Leinster. Be very surprised and disappointed if it turns out to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Milne is leaving, Boyle isnt.

Advertisement