Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you bring a 16 year old to an over 18s concert?

Options
  • 21-07-2023 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Looking for some advice, My daughter is crazy about the band boy genius and they are playing in Royal Kilmainham in August, The event itself is over 18s though and its breaking her heart,

Im seriously considering just getting tickets and bringing her anyway, she wont be drinking and I will be with her throughout the concert, its an all girl indie band and not Swedish House Mafia,

Do you think she would have a problem in getting in, Would love to hear thoughts on it,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

would be surprised if there were any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭funkyship

Forgot to mention the important part, she is 16 years old,

Are concerts age restrictions similar to cinemas, in so far as if she is accompanied by an adult it should be okay,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Phoebe Bridgers' concert in Fairview Park last year was supposedly age-restricted and it was clearly not enforced on the day.

Once there's an adult with them, it should be fine.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

As per the ticketing website "Strictly over 18's - ID Required". There's no allowance for under-18s being accompanied by a guardian.

Of course, it's possible you could show up and not be stopped at the gate. It's also possible that you are stopped, and you would have no argument - the terms are clear. And then you would have lost the money on the tickets and still not gotten to see them

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭funkyship

Thats very true and I would have no come back if we weres stopped, Im going to take that chance though as myself and my daughter have gone to lots of gigs together (its a nice way to bond) and I would regret it more if we didnt go than if we did and got stopped at the gates,

tickets are very affordable too at 60 euros each so worth the gamble, its nice to make memories with your kids (even when they are in their teens) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah go for it - just stick together like glue when entering and only you present the tickets not her - don’t bring nap sack bags or anything that would prompt a second glance or a search which might expand into an ID check - if challenged, assertively state she’s your daughter and look shocked to be even asked the question - it would be terribly bad luck if as a parent accompanying they’d turn her away

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

People, you do realise you are giving advice on illegal/against the law stuff, which i don't think is allowed here.

2nd: i know chances are low, but if anything bad happens? Then everybody will blame the promoters/security for allowing this. Possible loss of a license for a venue, insurance and ticket price increase and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

There are no legal restrictions on "concerts", cinema yes, but concerts, NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Kilmainham have pretty tight security, single file bags open on tables. If the gig is over 18’s and no mention of over 16’s accompanied by an adult I’d imagine it’s for insurance or licensing. There will be gardai there. They will want to keep their license so I’d imagine all staff will be told to check on border line or below. That’s a lot of imagining but that’s my tuppence.

I’d go with her, but expect to be refused. Anything after that’s a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's likely over 18's so they don't need to check IDs at the bar and they don't need to mandate that under-18s have chaperones.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its not against the law no just against the organisers policies.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Could be against law for organisers in extent that organisers obtained event licence as over 18’s event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 deisema

Hi funkyship,

How did this turn out for you? I'm in the same boat, Niall Horan at Kilmainham, 15 year old would love to go but concert over 18s. Would be interested in hearing if you went ahead 🙂 Thanks

The 3 arena shows allow teenagers and resale tickets will show up between now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 21,038 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lorrynoel11

Hi just wondering if you had any problems getting your daughter in? I’m hoping to bring my daughter to Niall Horan in August. It says over 18s though!! Are they strict?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

there were 10-11 year olds with there parents at noel Gallagher there last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭JVince

What law?

Last time I checked concert promoters did not create laws.

Electric picnic allows under 13 but not 13-18. It is an entry requirement by a promoter - it is absolutely not a "law"

Concert promoters have to abide by Alcohol licensing laws and for event licensing laws. If they don’t abide by legislation they can be arrested, charged and ultimately a promoter caught repeatedly will no longer get approved for events.

There is strict laws on attendance of underage people where alcohol is served.

Outdoor events legally require licences from local authority and these licences always have multiple conditions on them and one of which is always about age of attendees.

the reason why nearly all festivals ban 13-18 is that it’s a sticking point/makes life difficult with local authority’s as we all know that teenagers will easily find booze at a festival and no promoter/local authorities wants to deal with news stories and uproar about drunk teenagers at a music festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Just teenagers? I'm hoping to bring my 6 yo to Olivia Rodrigo there

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lorrynoel11

Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult and standing is strictly over 14s

Thanks a mil! Need to swap standing for seating so but that's the hope and plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I brought my 6 year old to Iron Maiden (seated area) last year. A great time was had by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭JVince

The law is about serving underage.

There is no law prohibiting a 16 year old attending a concert or other event or pub even when alcohol is served.

The age restriction is a promoter restriction as teens tend to be immature and may preload on alcohol.

It is not a legal restriction

You are wrong, The 2003 law sets out that underage minors cannot be on licensed premises after certain hours where alcohol is being served, most concert venue here operate as licensed premises, whelans, workmans, the academy.

for outdoor shows over 5000 cap, promoter needs an event licence and within the licence age restrictions are set out as part of the licensing conditions. So if the event licence obtained under legislation says no under 18s then the promoter legally has to follow those conditions or licence is null/void and they are operating an event illegally.

so therefore there is legal restrictions on the age of people who can attend concerts in most venues here in ireland.

there is no legislation saying teenagers cannot attend concerts however there is legislation about who can attend concerts in venues where alcohol is on the premises/serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...probably get away with it, but also may not, hope she enjoys it, i really like the idea of all age gigs, so what if adults cant drink at them....

Challenge now is to get seats and swap my standing tickets for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

Well, you haven't heard any complaints you mean. Have you heard much at all since :) Hope the 6yo had ear plugs.

Advertisement