Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Nothing, as far as I'm concerned. Rhonda Paisley's stint as host of Saturday Live was cited, along with the Late Late Show appearances of James Nesbitt, Jamie Dornan and Carl Frampton as proof of something. I just pointed out that her Saturday Live appearance was in 1987, and in my opinion not really relevant to the current "debate".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think the poster was refering to this tbh

For decades, RTE was a much colder house for ordinary people whose only crime was being British, or from a place they called Northern Ireland.

1987 is only a few decades ago, For the life of me I cannot think of an RTE programme given over to Rhonda's equivalent, a member of the SDLP or SF

Rhonda's party and her guests were involved in setting up paramilitary groups. One of her guests was the author of some of the vilest sectarian comments ever uttered or written by a NI politician. I also remember loads of British guests of every hue and viewpoint over the decades as well as a British SoS singing a ditty with Gay Bryne while carnage was taking place in NI.

Could you have imagined Gerry Adams being given a programme to himself to interview his family and members of the 'RA in those decades?

Things have moved on, the representation/access has never been better balanced and that is a good thing.

Apologies, I missed the reference to decades.

I can see an equivalence between IRA sectarianism and DUP sectarianism, but I wouldn't lump the SDLP in with them.

The point was about 'representation'.

Like it or not, SF represented a fair amount of 'ordinary' people in 1987 as did the SDLP(In the 87 British GE they polled almost exactly the same as the DUP 11.5% The SDLP had double that) . Neither party got the access to the Irish airways that the DUP or the British got.

• Advertisement

I am not for a second suggesting SF of that era should have gotten their own programme, but giving one to the DUP was a real and remembered slap in the face to some (quite a few I would suggest) Irish people, given what they stood for and were involved in.

Would have to agree that it does seem to have been a very insensitive move on RTE's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Rhonda Paisley never hosted the lls ( Late Late Show). She hosted one episode of Saturday Live, which was a televised talk show hosted by various guest presenters. It was a rival to the Late Late. Huge difference.

Saturday live was hosted by loads of different presenters, inc Catholic clergy like Fr. Cleary for one episide and Bishop Casey for another episode.

Quote: The first episode was presented by Feargal Quinn. Other episodes were presented by Alan Dukes (then leader of Fine Gael), Rhonda Paisley (daughter of the Rev. Ian Paisley), Eamon Dunphy (soccer pundit), Johnny Giles (soccer pundit), [[Anthony Cronin (poet), Tiede Herrema (industrialist), Mary Mooney (Fianna Fáil TD), Michael Cleary (priest), Bernard Loughlin, Joe Dolan (singer), Brendan Shine (singer), Yvonne Costelloe, Niall Tóibín (comedian and actor), Eamon Casey (bishop), Pat Ingoldsby (poet), Ulick O'Connor (writer), Henry Mountcharles (aristocrat), Henry Kelly (broadcaster), Shay Healy (broadcaster), Colm Tóibín (writer), Rosemary Smith (rally driver), Tommy Makem (musician), Mick Lally (actor), Ina Broughall, Ronnie Drew (singer), Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh (sports commentator), Tracy Piggott (broadcaster) Eamon Morrissey (actor)Joe Lynch (actor), and Stephen Roche.

A fairly diverse group of people from the island of Ireland.

Now get back on topic, this thread is about Kielty and the Late Late Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I for 1 think a Late Late show appearance by DUP's Emma Little Pengally (Deputy First Minister) would be compulsory viewing.

ELP was in Dublin for the Rugby match at the weekend so maybe she could be tempted towards another visit to the capital.

It would be gripping to see a live interview between an interviewer whose father was murdered by loyalist paramilitaries in 1988 and a politician whose father was one at that time (convicted in 1989)

It just shows how far we have moved on from those dark days that the above scenario isn't beyond possibility.

I saw she was at the match with Donaldson.

I wonder was she invited on the show?

I agree it would be fascinating to hear Kielty, with his personal history ask her about her family the way O'Neill is asked to account for/explain hers.

• Advertisement

He had other visitors on the show ( eg Michelle O'Neill, Stephen Rea ) who I think it fair to say had close family connections to terrorism, and he did not ask about their families - so why would he do it with Emma Little Pengally (Deputy First Minister)? Is is because he has had loads of people on the show from Republican backgrounds ( McClean, McAleese, O'Neill, Rea etc) commenting about politics in N.I., and he has not had any unionists speaking about politics in N.I., that you think if he had a unionist on the show she should be given a hard interview, compared to the cosy chats he has had so far?

Kielty's question to Michelle O'Neill

"But could there have been another way before that? Because I know there's a lot of families, mine included, who think a lot of people died for nothing"

The fathers of Little-Pengally and O'Neill were both convicted of terrorist offences, so I presume Francis that you would be happy with the same question being put to Little-Pengally?

Out of interest what questions do you think Kielty should have asked Michelle O'Neill and would you be happy with the same questions being asked of Emma Little-Pengally?

Did you see the way O'Neill evaded the question, and Kiely did not pull her up on it. O'Neill not so long ago said there was no alternative to the pIRA campaign / Republican paramilitaries. Kielty did not remind her of that hypocrisy.

Emma Little-Pengally, as far as I know, never said there was no alternative to loyalist paramilitaries.

You're not too bad at evading questions yourself!

I asked you 3 relevant questions there and you answered none of them.

You did not answer my questions first.

You asked would I be happy with the same soft questions being asked of Emma Little-Pengally as were asked of Michelle O'Neill? Emma L.P. would take such questions in her stride and not have to evade them like Michelle O'N did, because Emma L.P. Emma Little-Pengally never said there was no alternative to loyalist paramilitaries.

Have another go:

As said already, Kielty had other visitors on the show ( eg Michelle O'Neill, Stephen Rea ) who I think it fair to say had close family connections to terrorism, and he did not ask about their families - so why would he do it with Emma Little Pengally (Deputy First Minister)? Is is because he has had loads of people on the show from Republican backgrounds ( McClean, McAleese, O'Neill, Rea etc) commenting about politics in N.I., and he has not had any unionists speaking about politics in N.I., that you think if he had a unionist on the show she should be given a hard interview, compared to the cosy chats he has had so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

Herself and Michelle seem to be best buddies? 🤔

Wow!

"Have another go" What exactly do you mean by that?

I asked if you would be happy with ELP getting the exact same question as MO'N. (I even put it in bold italics for you to make it easy)

You're complaining that there hasn't been anyone from a Unionist background on the LLS despite the fact that in recent weeks Carl Frampton, Jamie Dornan and James Nesbitt have all been interviewed by Patrick Kielty.

When I suggest prominent DUP member and Deputy First Minister Emma Little-Pengelly it appears to have rattled your cage for some reason. I genuinely think she would be an interesting guest.

I didn't suggest that Kielty bring up the fact that her father brought guns in from abroad to murder innocent catholics. That would be too aggressive a question in my opinion and wouldn't allow the guest to open up and speak honestly. I merely asked your opinion on him phrasing his question to ELP exactly as he phrased the question to MO'N.

As far as I can gather ELP does not comment on her father's past. The only comment I can find is that his 1989 arrest was neither "a badge of shame nor a badge of pride"

I don't think anyone on this thread has suggested that Kielty ask ELP about her father. I'd imagine given what he himself went through it could be extremely uncomfortable for him personally.

Some here would think about 27 or 28 nationalists, one unionist councillor and one neutral was even too inclusive and diverse. Anyway that was Saturday live over a generation ago. This thread is about Kielty and the Late Late or the "Late Republican Show" as some would call it.

To balance out the Republicans like McLean ( who once wore a balaclava in front of children), McAleese ( who once compared Protestants to Nazis, and who had to publicly apologise), Michelle O'Neill ( who spoke at IRA commemoration and said there was no alternative to the pIRA), Stephen Rea ( Married to Delores Price, convicted pIRA bomber ), Keeecap etc etc .....the Late Late thought had the following on, none of who are Unionists and none of whom really commented on politics:

Yes Kielty had on James Nesbitt ( who describes himself as "an Irishman, from the north of Ireland ) , Jamie Dornan (an avowed atheist) and Carl Frampton ( who boxes for Ireland).

Some posters here think lightweight neutrals like Nesbitt, Dornan, Frampton etc are the equivalent of all the Republicans who were on the show.

• Advertisement

Come on Francis! Engage a bit here.

Maybe answer my questions re. ELP.

Maybe state who YOU would like on the show.

You seem to be just repeating the same ol' stuff with every post.

Kielty should have anyone on the show except the same old tedious flow of Republicans he has had on. Kielty does not seem to be able to attract the same calibre of international guest as Gay Byrne did, but that is hardly surprising.

Why did Kielty not have Emma L.P. on : the 2 joint ministers would have been more interesting to see that just the very soft chat with one. Emma L.P. is no stranger to Dublin, she was here with other DUP politicians for the Rugby match at the weekend.

Do you really think lightweight neutrals like Nesbitt, Dornan, Frampton etc ( who were on to chat about acting, boxing etc) were the equivalent of "all the Republicans who were on the show and who talked politics"?

" ... were the equivalent of ..."

I think Francis that you're mistaking the LLS for something that it's not.

It's supposed to be about entertainment.

You've made it clear that you think it's biased towards Republicanism (in the NI sense of the word). I don't agree and it seems that we won't agree on this one. I have to say that you've really damaged the credibility of your argument by claiming some sort of conspiracy to get loads of northern republicans into the audience. Have you considered the possibility that maybe the clapping was because some of the audience liked what they heard?

We have agreed that Emma Little-Pengelly would be an interesting guest although for some reason you don't want to discuss why or what possible questions she could be asked so maybe we'll have to park that as well.

You've obviously watched the Michelle O'Neill and Stephen Rea interviews with interest so I suppose the LLS is doing its job in the sense that it has engaged (entertained?) you.

Do you really have to be politically aligned with someone to want to see them interviewed?

For instance I abhor Trump and all he stands for, but as for entertainment if by some remote chance he was to be interviewed live on the LLS of course I would watch and be entertained by it.

You are dealing with another in a long line of Boards.ie posters who think RTE should only be platforming views they agree with or only music they like and only comedians they laugh at. 😁

You seem to be conceding that the Late Late show ( or Late Republican Show as more than a few call it now ) is not balanced, but because it is for entertainment it is ok.

I half watched Michelle O'Neill and Stephen Rea, everything they said was so predictable as were the soft questions from Kielty.

The question remains: why all the Republicans who were on the show and who talked N. Ireland politics?

Republicans like McLean ( who once wore a balaclava in front of children), McAleese ( who once compared Protestants to Nazis, and who had to publicly apologise), Michelle O'Neill ( who spoke at IRA commemoration and said there was no alternative to the pIRA), Stephen Rea ( Married to Delores Price, convicted pIRA bomber ), Keeecap etc etc ...

It is not as if the lightweight neutrals like Nesbitt, Dornan, Frampton etc ( who were on to chat about acting, boxing etc) were their equivalent. Yes Kielty had on James Nesbitt ( who describes himself as "an Irishman, from the north of Ireland ) , Jamie Dornan (an avowed atheist) and Carl Frampton (who boxes for Ireland).

The Late Late - some would say nearly as balanced as a programme from North Korea.

Is it indicative of the treatment and fair play northern unionists could expect in a U.I.? As someone from south of the border, it is embarrassing to have this as prime time viewing on our national tv station, which is supposed to be reasonably balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

(Enters thread)

(Exits thread)

I have to say Francis, I find your method of "discussion" to be quite disingenuous and at times hostile. You appear to just repeat the same old points over and over without even reading, never mind considering an alternative point of view.

I posted the following: "you think it's biased towards Republicanism (in the NI sense of the word). I don't agree"

to which you reply: "You seem to be conceding that the Late Late show ( or Late Republican Show as more than a few call it now ) is not balanced" 😮

Now after pages of cut and paste groundhog posts we find out that "I half watched Michelle O'Neill and Stephen Rea".

Eh? You didn't even watch all of what you're complaining about???!!!

I really have tried to engage with you and discuss.

I've considered the possibility of a DUP guest after you suggested it.

I've suggested how Kielty would interview her.

I've asked for your suggestions re. guests if you really believe the guestlist to be unbalanced.

All that's been posted in return is the same 'ol stuff you've been posting for the past 2 weeks.

A regular on this thread (Welsh Megaman) has given his considered view above and I think at this stage all I am doing by replying to you is encouraging more of the same.

I will try my hardest not to reply to your next unoriginal repost.

The reason I thought you seem to be conceding that the Late Late show is not balanced is because you could not disagree with my point that so many of his guests were Republicans. You say because it is for entertainment (you highlighted the word entertainment) it is ok. What about balance? Some would say / have said Nesbitt, Dornan, Frampton have balanced it. I pointed out they were lightweight neutrals who were on to chat about acting, boxing etc, and who did not discuss politics like Kielty's many Republican guests. You did not disagree with that either. I pointed out a few things about James Nesbitt ( who describes himself as "an Irishman, from the north of Ireland ) , Jamie Dornan (an avowed atheist) and Carl Frampton (who boxes for Ireland). You did not disagree with that either. Even a blind man could see that the Late Late show is not balanced and is now as green as can be.

You wrote I "obviously watched the Michelle O'Neill and Stephen Rea interviews with interest so I suppose the LLS is doing its job in the sense that it has engaged (entertained?) ". I said I half watched them because " everything they said was so predictable as were the soft questions from Kielty.". You complain that I "didn't even watch all of what (I'm) complaining about?" My point was I watched it with one eye, while chatting to others and doing other things. The show certainly did not entertain me. I saw enough to make points about what the guests said.

I think everyone who is objective and reasonable can only conclude the guest list on this seasons Late Late is very unbalanced with Northerners (republicans) talking about N.I. etc. You constantly attacking me or having a few neutrals on the show like Nesbitt, Dornan or Frampton does not change that.

If the show was coming from East Belfast and only had loyalists / unionists commentating on political matters, (with a few neutral people on to talk about acting or boxing), I would be equally critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Kielty does not seem to be able to attract the same calibre of international guest as Gay Byrne did, but that is hardly surprising.

It must be nearly a quarter of a century since Gay left the programme. Times have changed, television has changed, technology has moved on. There isn't the same need for major celebrities to appear on chat shows for publicity, they can do it via the internet. Yes they will do the likes of Graham Norton on the BBC but shows like that have a much bigger audience which makes it worthwhile. The world has moved on

( or Late Republican Show as more than a few call it now )

Who the **** calls it that? The only person who has used that expression is you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement