Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Orbital Route (DOOR) Feasibility Report

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The N52 would need a total rebuild as most of the route is very poor. This would in turn cost more than the actual proposed DOOR........ and thats not including the M9 link.

In reality the national secondaries are well down the priority tree. The N52 from Nenagh-Birr is shocking for a national road, the lowest width grade on a S2 I take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

We can make it a priority. The governments are getting less say as the day come closer;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is not a priority and Borrisokane is not in Leinster neither m'kay !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is not a priority and Borrisokane is not in Leinster neither m'kay !!

No it isn't it's in Tipperary. The N52 happens to go through Tipp, I'd have you know!:) The M7 goes through Leinster but ends up in Munster. Strange too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yes Mysterious , everything is strange !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Is the LOOR planned to be a motorway?

Because I think it may not be a motorway. The various routes shown here look like they plan to use junction 8 of the M3 and the Navan link road, but what I can't understand is how a motorway route could continue after crossing the R147 (old N3) as there's a large estate (Johnstown) in the way for a route to the M1 near Drogheda!

At the other end of the route, LOOR must join the M7, I think the best location for a junction is to upgrade the M7/ M9 junction to a full free flow junction with the LOOR motorway joining the northern side of this junction. However, I think the NRA don't do best plans, I think they will use the Variant 2 route and tie in to the M7 at the Osberstown Interchange (J9A). If this is the case, the route around Osberstown and Sallins has some tight bends which indicates to me that LOOR would be a dual carriageway, or maybe a regional road similar to the ORR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm sure a motorway is planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Furet wrote: »
    I'm sure a motorway is planned.

It links the M1, M3, M4 & M7/M9. It will be motorway, if built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I think the negatives outweight the positives of this proposed road scheme. It's a massive project, it's not really needed, we have several thousand km's of roads that are in a poor condition be with potholes or conjested blackholes. There is many routes that need to be upgraded before this gets a look in.

The LOOR wont attract enough traffic to warrant motorway build. I believe the NRA are thinking a couple of decades ahead with this one. It might be feasible in late 2050.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Get Newlands done and the upgraded M50 will do the job of an LOOR for the next 20 odd years anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Looking at that list it appears that there are a lot of schemes suspended!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

nordydan wrote: »
    While this isn't surprising, I'm certain this will be built eventually. There's a market for a Dublin bypass - the M50 is a distributor road, not a bypass.

It probably won't be until the end of this decade, though.

The posters who think it's too expensive when we could spend smaller amounts on national secondaries etc. forget that the M40 will *make* money for its operator - in effect, it's like a business asset. Winding country lanes, on the other hand, don't - though they would see a lower accident rate after their upgrade, it's hard to monetise that so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Junkjack

anymore inside news about this, looking at the TII website it could possibly go ahead but not until 2040. There is a more suitable location at City North where it can finish. City North is starting to boom now with another big industrial development planned

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

I think this road needs to be built before 2035. Traffic on the m50 is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Stan27 wrote: »
    I think this road needs to be built before 2035. Traffic on the m50 is crazy

Of all roads to be built this is way down the agenda. Even the majority of the roads on the list above this are unlikely to be built full stop never mind before 2035. Traffic on the M50 is crazy due tom
    1. The lack of public transport
    2. Local traffic travelling between 1/2 junctions.

LOOR solves neither of these issues.

The fact that they are currently upgrading the M7 to where the LOOR would start (the M9 merge) gives an idea of where this road is at on the list.

What would make a huge impact at relatively low cost would be an extension of the Dublin outer ring road between Lucan and Ongar. This would mean that there is a viable alternative between the N81, M7/8/9, M4, M3,M2 and M1. This would also mean if you wanted to get from Blanch to Liffey Valley you wouldn’t need to use the M50.

Long term I think an extended Metro West as Luas between Bray and the airport would reduce a significant amount of traffic on the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Last Stop wrote: »
    Of all roads to be built this is way down the agenda. Even the majority of the roads on the list above this are unlikely to be built full stop never mind before 2035. Traffic on the M50 is crazy due tom
    1. The lack of public transport
    2. Local traffic travelling between 1/2 junctions.

LOOR solves neither of these issues.

The fact that they are currently upgrading the M7 to where the LOOR would start (the M9 merge) gives an idea of where this road is at on the list.

What would make a huge impact at relatively low cost would be an extension of the Dublin outer ring road between Lucan and Ongar. This would mean that there is a viable alternative between the N81, M7/8/9, M4, M3,M2 and M1. This would also mean if you wanted to get from Blanch to Liffey Valley you wouldn’t need to use the M50.

Long term I think an extended Metro West as Luas between Bray and the airport would reduce a significant amount of traffic on the M50

Fair enough. Public transport (or proper decentralisation) is the answer then.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Stan27 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Public transport (or proper decentralisation) is the answer then.

Like I said public transport is part of the solution (a big part granted).

My view is that the extension of the Dublin outer ring road between Lucan N4 and Ongar would have a major impact on the M50 for far less than metro west. This would take all traffic jumping from 1 exit to the next because it is the only viable option currently out of the equation.

Unfortunately, given the green wave this is going to be a different sell.

Another option would be building just the bridge part of Metro West and using it for buses in the short term. Under Busconnects they are proposing running buses along the M50 between Liffey Valley and Blanch. That is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

A bus and pedestrian/cyclist bridge over the Liffey would be fantastic and is the only realistic solution in the short to medium term. There could be a number of bus routes over the bridge linking up various parts of the western city edge and they would be attractive compared to the alternative car journey for many. Of course, it wont happen because drivers expect every patch of tarmac to be available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

I learned to my disappointment this week that this was essentially cancelled in 2021. From Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy 2022-2042:

13.3.5 Leinster Orbital Route

The Leinster Orbital Route comprises an orbital road proposal extending from Drogheda to the Naas/Newbridge area with intermediate links to Navan and other towns. Given the above road principles and Government policy related to reducing transport’s contribution to emissions, this project will not be progressed in its existing form. Instead it is proposed to provide online, or mainly online, improvements to the existing road network to cater for orbital demand along these corridors.

I wonder where the accountability and follow up is for the proposed online improvements in extract above. The N52 has improved a lot with Delvin to Mullingar section, Ardee Bypass slowly progressing, poor areas of road seem to be gradually improving all along it. Also on N51, great recent improvement on Slane Navan N51 (albeit 50kmh construction signs mysteriously still not taken down). Distributor roads planned for Navan. So for me the big required improvement on Enfield - Trim - Navan - Drogheda orbital route is between Trim and Enfield. Just an unpleasant stretch of road between Trim and Longwood and beyond, many lorries trundling along it, no hard shoulder, boggy bumps, lots of concealed entrances, lots of turns, often meet cars travelling too fast. I don't know how the citizens of Trim and Navan have put up with this for so long - for accessing Enfield and that side of Meath on one hand, and on other accessing Kinnegad and the west. I also have heard of no word on upgrading this stretch, would be happy to hear if there are any upgrades in the process.

My final comment on the outer orbital route is I also see Enfield Summerhill Dunsany Duleek used as an orbital route. This is the orbital route of a 1930s Ireland, not 2020s Ireland, makes me sad that there seems to be opposition to finishing our road network.. should not be a zero sum game between roads and other forms of transport. We should be capable of investing in multiple modes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can blame Eamon Ryan and his bunch of fantasist ideologues for that one - shure everyone will just use "active travel" to get around the country instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I blame them for my lunch being cold today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I overslept this morning. Damn that Eamon Ryan!

Advertisement