Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Please, some common sense. If Tubridy handed in 24 paragraphs of "fiohjoifhoingfoi dspiojhpoidfhdf dspojh[pdh[odh dspiojhp[dh[hd pojndpioho[dhgd...", would the MOS just publish it because "it's not their job to make sense out of illogical or inaccurate prose"?

It's 100% the newspaper's responsibility, duty, prerogative and practice to publish only what they want to publish, to their own standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

yeah i know it’s drivel but it should at least fit the Mail’s in house style of drivel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

So, in addition to not being a great presenter, Tubridy is not a great writer?

It speaks volumes that Virgin Radio is not considering the "king of mid-morning" as a possible replacement for Norton. Perhaps the statistics from the web listeners shows that he is not as popular as expected with Virgin's UK audience. Without the added promotion of a TV show (as he had with the LLS on RTE), he seems to be finding it difficult to achieve any prominence in UK broadcasting.Any word on the Vogue Williams collaboration?

Regards...jmcc

It's patent nonsense to think that Virgin not giving Norton's old slot to Tubridy is somehow a failure on Tubridy's part.

Tubridy already has a weekend radio show on a number of Irish stations. But he is smart enough to pre-record it. Why on earth would he want to work 7 days a week? Norton is packing it in because he wants his weekends back. Tubridy clearly has plenty of things to be doing at the weekend, and he - like anyone else - deserves his break from the day job. They didn't give it to Chris Evans either - does this somehow "speak volumes"? No, of course not.

Angela Scanlon's takeover is only temporary at the moment, meaning that Virgin have not yet had a chance to establish a permanent replacement.

Scanlon is slated to take the lead for the next few weeks, bringing her unique flair and energy to the weekend mornings.

https://virginradio.co.uk/entertainment/136052/graham-norton-announcement-stepping-down-weekends-virgin-radio

There's plenty of things to criticise Tubridy for. A plethora of things. But not not working seven days a week is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

Even if he was doing a good job, I don't think they'd be moving him just yet. He's only in the UK a wet week and has feck all profile. But if he was genuinely trying to make a career for himself in the UK, these are the sorts of opportunities that would be of benefit to him. As we've long since figured out, he either isn't interested in connecting with British listeners or he simply isn't able to.

• Advertisement

Subbies also don't like those with delusions of literary grandeur. That latest article seems to be an attempt to cram as many famous Irish names as possible into the space. It is like Tubridy, apart from being the face of RTE's Tubridy payments scandal, is famous by proxy for having interviewed various famous people. It must be difficult trying to make Tubridy's articles flow as they seem to jump all over the place. He may read a lot of books but he doesn't seem to be a natural writer.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

Think that he tried to make it in UK broadcasting around 2013 or so with his tie-in book "The Irish Are Coming!". It didn't work out. From the coverage, he does not seem to be able to make the break between Irish broadcasting and UK broadcasting. Getting established in another country is difficult and probably more so for someone of Tubridy's age. Tubridy still seems to be trying to broadcast to an Irish audience that he had in RTE but Callan has that now.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Neferteena

Re the Vogue Williams 'secret project' I'm thinking he might be trying out the laundry products she promotes, what with him having full responsibility his own laundry for the first time in his life, & the freeness that comes with it. Buying detergent products in the laundrette the in the UK is very expensive & overpriced.

On his show y'day he was bragging he jogged 5k in Regent Park on sat, on today's show he took a 'jaunt' in said park on sat. Now Tubs historically refers to a jaunt as a walk, as evidenced by his over referencing his walks down the pier, or in Clifden. So on Sunday he was pretending he was a bigger.

Such poor memory is not the stuff of history teachers, he said on his show y'day if he wasn't in radio, he'd like to have been a history teacher. He can't even get his personal history right. There's another key date he was banging on about when he first came on Virgin, that he seems to have got wrong.

I'd look to run a little side book on

1.when he'll do a link with completed sentences, &

2.not steering a link into an anecdote about himself. However I doubt I'd get the punters, it's far more laborious & painful to measure that, than count the number of paragraphs & sentences beginning with 'I' in a vocabulary-impoverished magazine article . Any takers? Warning, you'll lose years of your life you'll never get back if you take up this challenge.

Oh dear, he's wheeled poor Sinead out again. & there's a pretend new listener. Now he's preventing the producers from playing in a song of Sinead's because he wants to talk more about it. So we heard 30 secs of it & straight to ads.

It's a sub editor's job to rewrite the copy as per the style and requirements of the publication.

Whether they're happy doing that job is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Yeah, he's such a truly awful broadcaster that there is no need to make up stuff/guess/speculate to justify criticism of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Omg that is absolute desperation

If I squint all I see is "i" "irish" *family*

"

Hope the IMoS subbies are getting hazard pay for dealing with his copy. Applying the House Style is one thing. A complete rewrite is something very different. The solution for that is often a ghost-written column. Tubridy doesn't seem to be a natural writer and it is beginning to become apparent in these pieces. He seems to write like he talks on-air.

Regards...jmcc

Reading between the lines, the poor sod seems to be missing his family.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Neferteena

It's not the sub-editor's job to do a high level of re-write to fit the style of the paper. The contributing author is supposed to have a standard of writing that doesn't necessitate laborious input. They will tidy up the text to eliminate repetition, & rejig paragraphs to give a fluid order to the theme.

I agree with the poster who said that Tubs wrote this article himself. The over representation of the first & possessive tenses in the article is pure authentic Tubs. NKM probably negotiated a deal negating any editorial input, like buying advertising space in diary format. As the articles are puff pieces - a conglomeration of social media posts devoid of prose, deep thought or analysis. it seems like there's no editorial investment at all from EVOKE.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s perfectly normal to feel homesick occasionally and to miss friends and family. I know not everyone is lucky enough to have had a wife, partner, kids, wide social circle etc, but it’s a bit sneering to be belittling him for it. Nasty auld stuff.

NKM probably negotiated a deal negating any editorial input, like buying advertising space in diary format.

LOL! So the MOS just hand over so many column inches to a rank armature to publish whatever he wants without any oversight because (checks notes) NKM says so?

This is a major, established newspaper we're talking about. One who's sole purpose is profit. There's no place for conspiracy theories regarding some kind of omnipotent agent who can bend the will of even the mightiest media conglomerates to his demonic wishes.

Kelly is clearly a relatively good agent, but he's not Mephistopheles.

Oh no! He started 3 of the ten paragraphs in the article with "I", a rate of 30%. Cue the outrage!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Always had that impression with Tub's. Probably the only aspect of his persona that's genuine is his fascination with celebrity and how star struck he becomes in the presence of famous people. It really hinders his ability to conduct proper interviews and as evidenced by that article, hinders his ability to write objectively or say anything of interest about these people.

I don't care what anyone says about the target demographic, that is just shockingly poor, beige, tedious writing. It's regional newspaper level and many working in regional newspapers would count that comparison as an insult. Basically listing every Irish actor of note of the last number of years, mentioning interviews he did with them for RTE and then telling the reader they are all daycent aul skins, solid 'big Irish family' types! No one is expecting Tub's to write a thoughtful deep dive into what it is about Ireland and it's long history of punching above it's weight in the arts, but he could surely produce something better than, "Be gob, that Cillian Murphy is a bit of a quare hawk but a fine man all the same. Fair play to him"

I particularly loved the final paragraph, where he of course draws a comparison between himself and the glittering superstars he so admires;

"It seems that a key to a lot of the success for these guys is family and believe me, at my less impactful level, I can concur with that sense that without family by your side to keep you afloat – and in check – you’re goosed."

He never fails!

A "rank armature"? I don't think that Tubridy's text is quite that electrifying. Is Tubridy's column carried in the main edition of the Mail on Sunday or just the Irish edition?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

A typo. Well played. We don't all have the advantage of a sub-editor.

His weekly column is printed in the Irish Mail on Sunday, and available online on the evoke.ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭hawley

He left Barry Keoghan until the end of the article and then says how important a supportive family was to the people he mentioned. Absolutely braindead point when you consider that Barry lost his mother to drug addiction and was in over a dozen foster homes during his childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

Many of today's best journalists started out in local newspapers. Those jobs might not be as glamourous as working for a national newspaper but they still have their standards. I don't like the dismissal of his column being OK just because it's for the Mail on Sunday. It's not a paper that'll appeal to everybody but there are proper journalists working for the publication. It will also have readers whose literacy skills have advanced past Ann and Barry. They should not be looked down on just because they're not buying something loftier for their Sunday reading.

Let's not forget that Tubridy has already written four books. This should mean that he's well capable of writing a newspaper column.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

He's there by his own choice.

It's a career move that works for both his fans and enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He will be absolutely livid .

That would have been his best column ever, he couldn't have written it better himself. Especially as NKM seemed to have a lot of sway with the Indo over the years.

Shows you just how many bridges he has burned at this stage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Tubridy would never get a look in there.

From Rick O'Shea's website - He is a previous presenter of The Book Show and The Poetry Programme, both on RTE Radio 1. He runs The Rick O’Shea Book Club Facebook page and picks Must Read lists with Sinead Moriarty for Easons. He presents the occasional Youtube author interview chat show Shelf Analysis and recommends books year round on his Twitter and Instagram feeds.

He conducts public author interviews year round including in recent years at Listowel Writers Week, Cúirt, Ennis Book Club Festival, International Literature Festival Dublin, Dalkey Book Festival, Bram Stoker Festival, and Dublin Book Festival. He has been literary curator at the UCD Festival since 2020 and was curator for the Waterford Writers Weekend in 2017 and 2018.

Presents awards, judges writing competitions and so on and so forth.

Exactly. O'Shea's been running his book club for years on FB, with thousands of members, and deeply immersed in book culture in Ireland. Anybody into books, including Tubridy, could and would only say fair play to him for expanding that into to an Indo column.

It's getting a bit tedious that posters here are immediately feigning Tubridy's dismay at any and every unrelated event in media or broadcasting. "Oh, he must be livid Patrick Kielty is grand marshal of the parade", "I bet he's furious he hasn't got Graham Norton's weekend gig on Virgin Radio!", "He'll be beside himself at not getting a book club column in the Indo like Rick O'Shea". I'm not really sure what's behind it.

Like it or not, Tubridy currently has plenty of irons in the fire. If there's one thing you'll learn from successful people, it's that they don't waste any energy at all being "livid" at the successes of other people. They concentrate on ploughing their own furrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

May have plenty of irons in the fire, but none are glowing red hot are they?

Looks like the fires going out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

LOL! So the MOS just hand over so many column inches to a rank armature to publish whatever he wants without any oversight because (checks notes) NKM says so?

Almost .......because NKM has paid MOS to do it or has guaranteed access to MOS for any future exclusive regarding his stable-stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

His writing quality is on a par with the stuff that passes for writing in the Daily Mail.

There is a demographic that it suits and readers for whom it's not difficult to read or understand.

Maybe the man has no talents. Maybe he did get the work he had in rte just through connections and the fact that rte are happy to give employment to relatives and such and not kill themselves looking for genuine talent. (Yuk hate that word btw).

On a humane level maybe he is missing his family and that does happen to the best of us.

Still refusing to listen to him though🥴

Advertisement