Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• His mother is elderly (though may have many years ahead) she is his legal business partner, and I would imagine he feels he’s missing out on precious time spent with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Wait now, let’s add this one into the mix.

So millionaire Tubridy who was being paid between half and 3/4 a million euro a year for more than a decade, is now inexplicably paying an agent to in turn pay both the Irish Mail on Sunday and Virgin Radio (and probably the Wireless Group stations) so that he can work for them all for free (but is also getting sponsorship from Paddy Power) while living in London - but also while owning a house in Dublin.

Oh, and he’s scabbing free laundry detergent from Vogue Williams.

And then there’s also posters here being paid by Kelly to post - not even positive, but just not constantly negative - things about him.

But not only does Kelly have this magic porridge pot of money to spend on Tubridy for no financial gain, he also has a magical ability to bend the will of even the biggest media organisations in the world to do his not-for-profit bidding - all while being just a jumped-up chocolate salesman with a two-bit hack for a client.

Keep up the creative writing classes, lads, that’s all I can say. The plot has to be somewhat believable, but you’ll eventually get there 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

No. It is pretty straightforward. NKM sees and has always seen Tubridy as an investment. Hit the motherlode. Now that Tubridy's skills rather than his environment are in question, NKM, as his agent, sweeten the pot for any potential employer by outlining a sponsorship deal that activates when Tubridy is employed, be it Paddy Power - remember the relationship with Declan Lynch, Tony10 and the Late Late - or with the Daily Mail. It gives enough for the diehards (paid or unpaid, you yourself are not a fan, I know) to claim how successful he is and he didn't like RTE much anyway. Ad nauseum. The idea that NKM wouldnt do this for his investment is more surprising. God bless Dee Forbes and her silence.

Back handed boot licking of NKM. It is notable how even those who pretend not to like Ryan Tubridy have no criticism of NKM. The opposite in fact.

For someone who presents themselves as calling balls-and-strikes, the idea that these relationships between agents and TV companies, even by poor little chocolate salesmen, is suprising. I don't believe its altruism on NKM's behalf. NKM is only doing it in the hope to make more money, nothing more nothing less.

Well, of course, Ryan has further stories to tell about the Cadbury salesman and best to be seen to represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Of course Kelly is in it for the money. That’s what business is all about. But that’s the bit that you’re missing from your analysis. An investment has to pay back - with interest - in order for it to work. Where is all the money flooding back to NKM if they’re paying for an unsuccessful broadcaster to be on the radio?

Your notions remind me of The Underpants Gnomes in South Park:

1. Collect underpants Pay Virgin Radio/The Mail On Sunday/The Wireless Group to hire Tubridy
    2. ????
    3. Profit

I know this is the internet, and some people are willing to metaphorically die on the most ludicrous of hills, but come on - even you must be kind of cringing reading back on what you’ve written and thinking “jeez, how did I end up here?”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

If, as we all agree, Tubridy is such a woeful broadcaster, how is NKM going to realize a profit on his supposed investment?

On the contrary, I think the more you protest the more I'm on the right lines.

The strategy has paid for itself already, thousands of time over. Not only for Ryan but for the coverage given on the prime media slots for NKM stablemates. It was very clever from NKM. The idea of the sponsorship would cost NKM little, I would assume. Likewise gaining access to a weekly column. Using already well established rolodex of contacts. Of course we know how good NKM is at hiding what is being actually received by his clients, so looking at his books are unlikely to reveal anything. Maybe you are right, maybe there are other reasons why he has to show loyalty to Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Great post. I love the cast of characters in the radio forum, but a lot of the stuff sprouted here is bizarre enough stuff. Touch of the revenge fantasy about it. Discussions on wages and wealth are also quite sensitive. The fact that Tubs is almost certainly a millionaire doesn’t sit well with people.

How will this strategy pay for itself in Tubridy's case? For Noel Kelly to make money, Ryan Tubridy must make money. Most of us who post on this thread agree that Tubridy is crap. Many suggest that he won't last long in his current gig. What gigs is Tubridy likely to get that will be lucrative enough to guarantee a worthwhile agent's fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭mountain

There is no doubt that he is a wealthy man, what many people feel is that he was excessively paid by RTE, and hearing him on Virgin Radio, merely confirms that

Now, I don't know if NKM will be trying to negotiate a scheme to offset his voluntary pay-cut for solidarity in COVID any more. Or go to the bother of not invoicing through his own company. He isn't worth that level of investment any longer. But he is still worth something. Maybe Gregor can put him his change management model again. At some point in the future, he may have established his audience and be a friendly face to NKM stablemates with any soujorns across the water.

Of course, it might have just been Dee Forbes (and RTE) that believed how much NKM talent was worth.

What has the voluntary pay-cut, which Tubridy evaded, got to do with his future earnings, out of which NKM would get a return on the investment you have referred to?

You say Tubridy is still worth something. What do you think is he worth, and who do you think he is worth it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If that's the case we'll that's his own fault. No one forced him to move to the UK.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

If he had an ounce of cop on, he'd throw in the towel and come home. He must realise he has backed himself into a cul-de-sac. Anyone care to hazard a guess how much the Mail on Sunday is paying him for that column. They are not known in journalistic circles for their generosity.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

He could retrain as a history teacher if he's genuinely interested in that. His alma mater, Blackrock, might even give him a gig.

Making the point that what NKM would do in the past for Ryan may not be the case now. Perhaps he is no longer sure a sure bet with the changeover in rte. I'm sure NKM still works hard for those stable stars who are not getting paid the sums Ryan used to get. What else is the service for?

I've no idea what he is worth. But the suspicions that Ryan, nkm and strangely rte were paying Ryan far in excess of his talents and were benefitting from a culture of unaccountability, nod and a wink, and secret deals at the expense of the taxpayer are being put to the test. Lots felt that the line that he was being paid market value was self serving bullshit. I guess we'll see.

You still haven't said how you think Noel Kelly is going to make a return on the investment you said he has made in Tubridy's current gigs.

How do you think Noel Kelly will make a profit on this investment?

I have but you chose/choose not to read them. That's ok. Hardly a crime

• Advertisement

I have - have a read above - but guess this fun tit-for-tat distracts from the predicament Tubs and NKM find themselves in.

Are you of the opinion that NKM has stopped trying for his client?

Are you suggestng that I'm trying to distract from Tubridy's predicament?

I think he's still trying.

Could you quote your post where you set out how you think NKM is going to make a return?

No. I trust you can read and I'm not interested in repeating myself.

Let's say LEVEL 10 NKM effort is one that gets you in front of dail committees to circumvent a pay-cut you took in solidarity with your colleagues. One that means you get your invoices sent from the special non-NKM account. Obe who fabricates corporate events that the taxpayer ends up footing the tab.

And LEVEL 0 is NKM is you can use my name and we'll negotiate your salary on your behalf.

Where does helping get sponsors for a radio programme and negotiating to get a column in MOS rank?

Why is NKM trying at all? Id guess the sensible answer to that is what I've said earlier.

I'll have to take your word that you really believe that you've answered the question that I asked.

Good good. Why do you think NKM is still trying?

Because Tubridy has a radio gig and a newspaper column and is thus earning fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Even with his Arts degree from UCD, it would require a HDip and that's about a year of study. Then he'd have to teach, correct homework and set tests. The reality would be very different to the aspiration. Perhaps that was his original career trajectory until he got a job in RTE.

Regards...jmcc

And you think Tubridy sourced these roles himself without involvement from NKM?

They just sit back and take 15% or whatever their fee arrangements are.

NKM takes no active involvement in discussing working towards better more lucrative options for Ryan?

What does NKM trying look like to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Writing a column is different to writing a book. A book generally has a single theme and there can be months to do the research and writing. A weekly column needs a topic and has to be produced quickly. It also has to be interesting for the readers. It is deceptively tougher than it looks and Tubridy still hasn't adapted to the format. Once RTE dumped Tubridy in August 2023, his value as a celebrity started to decline. The IMoS column is of more value to Tubridy than it is to the IMoS as it is keeping its readers aware that he still exists despite not being on national TV or radio.

The longer Tubridy stays off national TV or radio, the weaker and less valluable his brand becomes. If some Irish national broadcaster was to offer him a gig with the same salary he is earning in Virgin Radio, he'd be on the next flight back.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

Tubridy and NKM are playing the long game on this. That gig in London is seen as a short-term pain for a longer-term gain. Both ultimately want Tubridy to end up behind a microphone in Ireland, earning a high wage. Ideally, that'd be back in RTE but time will tell if that happens. NKM and Tubridy made a lot of money from his success in RTE so why wouldn't the pair work towards that outcome again? The 2nd best outcome is for another Irish station to hire Tubs and pay him well. They might be thinking of how well Pat Kenny has fared on Newstalk since leaving RTE.

If Tubridy had received any job offers worth entertaining after leaving RTE, he wouldn't be in London right now. It also makes sense to have him in London while the RTE controversies continue to rumble on. Those will eventually go away and the media will lose interest. In the meantime, Tubs hasn't really gone away. He can still be heard on local radio stations and is in the paper every Sunday. It'd all be going well if he hadn't proved to be surprisingly inept once he was removed from an RTE studio. I don't think anybody expected him to be exposed in the way he has.

Advertisement