Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

No problem Anna.

I replied to GGs original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Fair enough.

To be honest Anna, maybe @tom 23 needs to clarify?

Who are ya talking to, tom?

Its hard to know really..

Never a quoted post, just random comments?

You are missing the point.

If all 3 electable parties have a pro immigration stance, then the polls can read 100% against the current immigration stance.

It still doesnt mean there will be a change in policy, simply because there is no political threat to govt policy.

No party is offering an alternative approach so the point has no real bearing on govt formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

The referendum, local and european elections will tell the story of where the current Government parties policies will be if they loose and do badly in the elections. In fact of the three political parties in power I can see Fianna Fáil taking a tough stance on immigration because these are in for a shellacking of the electorate. They will change their stance very quickly because they are good a smelling what way they wind blows. The greens are gone. Good riddance. FG will struggle (they too might get tougher again and add more countries to their safe list).

At some rate the pro immigration can only go on for a period of time before the house comes crashing down because we Irish are good at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The most important upcoming election regarding immigration to Ireland is not the general election but the US presidential election on November 5th. A victory for Biden or another Democrat and our current immigration policy goes on for the next four years at least. I hate to state that the only way numbers may be limited or significantly reduced is if Trump (assuming he's the Republican nominee) wins as Trump has made it clear he will end the war by, presumably, seeking a deal with Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

FF will do nothing for as long as Martin is their leader. They need to dump him after the next election. He's had 14 years ffs as leader and still won't get off the stage. Same for Varadkar. He has to go as well as he's just utterly useless.

Trump will likley win and that will have a slowing effect on Ukranian emigration, assumimg Trump is able to pacify Putin.

But it wont have any effect on global asylum immigratiom, which is still yet to peak obviously.

Cant see Martin there regardless after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You my friend are delusional if you think Putin will stop let alone Trump can stop him.

Don’t be so naive.

I have no love for any of the parties in power. Hate the greens as much as FFG. But no party has a tough stance on immigration and the current **** show it is. But someone has to crack and it’s one of those 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It is not conflicting messages. You seems to have problem acknowledging that this issue and many other issues are not strictly black and white. There is not us against them or two camps or anything like that. Person can be pro immigration yet totally opposed to current policies or open border policy.

Some people like to label others with all kinds of *ism labels if they deviate just alittle from their own belief but fact is that this and many more topics cant be defined and people divided as simply pro or against camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thanks. I know what I read. It's conflicting messages. 👍

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed, the people citing immigration as a concern are still going to vote for FF, FG, SF, Lab, SDs, PBP etc in the elections. It would be a mistake to take these polls and view them as evidence of the Irish public becoming radicalised and moving towards the right or even the far right. People are hardly going to become committed right wingers over a solitary issue that's in the news at the moment.

Please dont say you are thinking of voting SF lol.

Thanks jj.

Was thinking, what a world some are looking for.. Trump to win and then the supposed leader of the free world to fawn or worse over Putin (again!) in the hope of stopping immigration from Ukraine!

As if Ukrainians or anybody else in the surrounding countries will be staying happily at home given that scenario, never mind Putin free to carry on expanding his empire?!

Hopefully you are correct. The only caveat I suppose is that there isnt an alternat8ve party fpr people to vote for.

We may see an upswing in independents, if they field enough candidates across the country.

But srill an FFG returned govt at the end of it all.

Are you looking for an alternative? You talk about it a lot.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

They dont need to crack. Not at all.

They will return the same govt we have today, in all liklehood. Perhaps with the greens replaced by indies or the Soc Dems.

But FFG will likley lead the govt, regardless.

If SF had an anti immigration stance and it was winning them votes, THEN you would see FF or FG peel away.

No, not personally.

I am just commenting on the macro situation.

I do feel that a lot of people are looking for an alternative though.

I dont share their view, but that doesnt mean I can't be honest with what I see in front of me.

That's interesting but makes no sense.

You keep on repeatedly mentioning alternatives.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Most of the countries that have strong far right parties have a history of right wing or hard right parties : Germany, Italy, Belgium, NL etc.

We are quite the outlier in Europe in that our politics has never gone out to the extremes of right or left, it's not really in our political DNA....we must be one of the most stable democracies out there.

Why does any party need an ANTI immigration stance?

What is needed is a government that controls immigration properly, gets on top of housing and other services eg health and isn't so condescending to the people who are upset and being given conflicting messages..

Any one of the main opposition parties could read the room and decide to alter a few things without having to descend to an anti immigration stance and be elected on that ticket.

Shure most people here bar a few have said that its the problems with numbers that are the issue, not the refugees themselves?!

I mention alternatives because I think a lot of people are looking for one.

Thats just the reading I take from peoples opinions.

I think this will probably manifest itself in high votes for independents at the GE, should they field enough candidates.

Which will make for a diluted govt.

I would say the govt needs to do a better job on communciation and explaining the positives about immigration. But thats a battle lost at present, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

A Trump win will embolden Putin to keep pushing and taking more territory meaning a bigger increase in Refugees.

Putin said it himself, he has no plans to stop and will continue on regardless.

People believing what comes out of Trumps mouth really has me worried for our future.

I don’t think that’s a done deal. As said referendum and local elections will give a good idea the lay of the land.

No party needs an anti immigration stance.

I think a moderate approach that was thoughful and had longevity is a good idea, yes.

Make some adjustments and invest in resources and infrastrucutre to manage asylum immigration for the long term, because it is going to be forever present.

Lets hope O'Gorman has a vision and a plan when we hear about the large scale state owned asylum accomodation plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Damien360

A bit of an extreme thought but each of those countries probably had a moment in history that allowed their far right party to grow. I don't think we are any where close but the current policies have sown the seeds. Labeling every single legitimate protest as far right demeans your argument so when a true far right event occurs (that moment in history), we will miss it and allow it to grow.

jesus people on here are obsessed with this far right who are nothing more than a bunch of knuckle draggers. They are a long way of forming any kind of party that would entice people en mass to vote for them.

One of the established parties will get tougher on immigration to save their skin.

As for far right? nah.

• Advertisement

what right now is the benefit of immigration? if you mean highly educated professionals who can bring something to the table and pay their own way? i’m all for that. not 1000’s upon 1000’s of unskilled labour who won’t be able to survive in this town without state support. No good to anybody except cheap labour for someone.

Advertisement