Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I saw this and will absolutely buy it, just disappointed that his work through the 00s and the 10s are missing.

Space Giraffe, Tempest 3k, the various iOS titles, TkX, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Happy days, I thought I was going crazy after all the overtime I've been doing lately. Between that and the Xbox 360 site I've been using going from 5MB/s to 200KB/S I thought I was losing it!

CDR is one of the few go-to's these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Any good 90s/early 2000s racers worth checking out, any specific Need for Speed, Test Drive etc that stand out for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Not console, but 'Grand Prix Legends' on the PC (1998?) is worth a look. More sim like though compared to NFS or Test Drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I was doing a bit of high seas shenanigans with my DS and 3DS since I'm selling a lot of stuff so I've been getting familiar with their libraries.

I've not changed my mind about the DS, it's an absolute glut of high quality games with some great variety to the library and some real weirdo stuff on there as well.

The 3DS library however I'm finding quite lacking. In a way it's like the N64 library but not nearly as terrible.

The 3DS library is pretty small but it does seem to have quite a high ratio of good stuff to dross. There's a decent amount of games worth playing on the system but not as much as say the SNES or other great systems. I think main issue is the lack of variety in the library. If you love jrpgs then you are in heaven with the 3DS but it seems most of the library is jrpg focused with a handful of more traditional action games. There's some weird stuff as well, the style savvy games and there's some really great stuff on the download store, but again it's a bit lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't think any handheld will ever come as close to the DS for quality of titles. Nintendo were absolutely printing money in those days. Every second person has a DS and a Wii. You'd literally see grannies playing Dr Kawashima's Brain Training. I'd go around to friends houses and their parents would be jumping around the living room playing Wii Sports. Great time to be a Nintendo fan.

I do think the 3DS is excellent though, I certainly had a lot of fun with it over the years. Potentially as much as the DS.

I wonder is it the last great handheld we'll ever see?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well you could count the Switch as a handheld and that's a fantastic console. I do think the 3DS is a great machine. I'd probably rank it around the megadrive level which isn't exactly bad.

Speaking of videogame libraries I was going through my Wii games as well and honestly that system really doesn't get enough love. There's so much good stuff on there and loads of weird and wonderful stuff. I also realised I've a pretty great Wii library, going to hurt selling that.

On another note had a load of my girlfriend's family over at the weekend. She was saying how she doesn't think her 5 year old nephew has any interest in videogames and honestly he hasn't really shown much. He's only tried them once and being quite young just couldn't grasp how to use a joypad. When they visited he asked if, unprovoked by me btw, asked to play some games. So I threw on some old games and again he was having trouble but I also had two gamepads set up this time and through maybe some coop games would help.

Anyway cue him getting really into the Konami 1989 TMNT game. We credit fed all the way to shredder and he almost beat his first game except his little three year old brother wanted in on the action and only managed to disconnect the player 2 gamepads Bluetooth somehow. Went home talking about the turtles. He still hasn't quite grasped how to use a gamepad but I think helping him out worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

A hacked 3DS with Twilight Menu installed for DS stuff/emulators would be my desert island console.

• Advertisement

I actually use a DS for my DS games because I don't like the pixel ratio on the 3DS being off (and I know you can force into 1:1 pixel mode but it throws off games that take into account the screen gap like contra 4.

Master of the Universe

Interesting how different people perceive the Switch as a console. I don't think of it as a handheld at all, just a home console that I can undock if someone else wants to watch the TV.

Meanwhile my missus has a Switch Lite so to her it's 100% a handheld console.

What's the story with you selling everything by the way??? I thought you'd be a 'from my cold, dead hands' kind of person!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's a handheld man, built in screen and built in battery, power/performance/thermal limits of a handheld, and needs an external device to use a TV 🤷🏻‍♂️

Women and life 🤣 Just don't have the room for it in the house and I realised I'm happy emulating or flash driving these games and being rid of collector's anxiety.

Master of the Universe

Nintendo classifies it as "a home console that you can take with you on the go", so I'm sticking with my home console leanings 😁

Back up into Sauron's attic maybe? 😁

I classify it as a home handheld console in that I exclusively play it undocked at home because I don't want to take it outside and ruin my pristine OLED Switch's neat finish.

• Advertisement

They've been in Sauron's attic the whole time and not getting any use because they are so out of the way. No point having them like that if I can't even use them.

Master of the Universe

I know the feeling. I'm terrible for 'Ah I'll hold onto that as I'll have a space for it/get to it in the future' but as time ticks on it seems less and less likely that I'm going to live in a mansion with a wing dedicated to videogames 😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The original Need for Speed on the 3DO and PS are brilliant, but the 3rd and 4th ones on the PS nicely expand the franchise.

I've particular affection for Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on the PS2, the other ports are terrible!

Rage Racer on the PS is my favourite of the franchise.

Moto Racer on the PC was very good, and the first Moto GP on the 360 was very very good indeed.

Well since I've been going through stuff I've my PS2 and switch set up as well as a DS, 3DS and Vita hacked and just having the games in easy access means I'm actually playing them again. It pains me but it just makes more sense this way.

I found exactly the same when I tapped out on collecting physical games. The weight offy shoulders was immense, and I realized I'd turned it into a massive chore instead of a hobby.

Now I've a combination of original hardware, flash/ode's/mister and enjoying gaming FAR more than I had done when checking lists of wanted/owned all the time.

• Advertisement

It's a fancy handheld man, don't let the marketing fool you 😁 Not that it really matters, it is a massive, massive success. Nintendo have done it again, and also, continue to prove that horsepower doesn't equate to great games.

Rab Florence made a good point recently that we are all talking about the PlayStation and Xbox when what the young people are going to remember when they grow up is the switch, same way they remember the DS and Wii more.

Indeed. Playstation from the 4 onwards, and Xbox from the One onwards, have been really lackluster in terms of their libraries. With a PC, and a Switch, you're largely covered for the vast majority of stuff.

I don't think he means the library, more an observation that the switch is the biggest selling but gets ignored by the vocal minority whereas the most people are playing games on the switch more so than the PlayStation.

Master of the Universe

I recently took my Xbox One out of storage to play a DVD. One of the few devices I still have left in the house with that capability!

I think it's the least played of all my consoles. Played through RE4 again, a bit of No Man's Sky and had a bit of a PUBG addiction for a while, but that was it really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH a console is likely to be a mainstay under my tv as long as they have Blu Ray and UHD drives 😅 But honestly the pandemic has made me appreciate the value of a good home console - or, more precisely, remote working has made me appreciate it. I still love PC gaming, but working from my desk several days a week limits my enthusiasm for gaming there too. I still play some choice games on PC, and yeah one of these days will probably set up a separate PC by the TV. But being able to relax in a separate space from the ‘office’ is much more appealing, and given the performance gulf between PC and PS5 has been pretty small this gen (with only a few tech showcase exceptions such as Alan Wake 2, and the traditional ‘best on PC’ genres) there’s only been a few titles that feel compromised on console. That, and it’s the main multiplayer hub for my group of friends.

Though there have been some games that still demand a mouse and keyboard - Neon White stands out as a game that went from ‘great’ to ‘masterpiece’ when I switched to m&k. And DLSS is definitely better for image quality overall compared to the equivalents that work on console - that’s the main tech advantage on PC at the moment IMO.

As for Switch, it definitely struggles on a 4K TV IMO - happy to tolerate it for the first party titles (in a mix of TV and handheld), but will either go console / PC / Steam Deck for virtually any third party title. Some games only really work on it handheld - you’d be better playing almost anywhere else otherwise. But even with the recent Penny’s Big Breakaway, I was surprised to see it runs at 30 FPS only on Switch. That’s a big loss of responsiveness IMO compared to the other platforms for a game that plays so smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭barryribs

Cracking game, albeit impossible to play with a keyboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭megaten

tried turning on my new 2ds for the firts time in a year and seems like the battery died. Has anyone tried replacing them before?

Yes, it was really straightforward. Literally just screw off the back and swap them around.

Had this happen with the vita. If they've been off for a long time they've usually lost enough charge to boot. Leave it charging for a couple of hours and this fixed it for my Vita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭megaten

Thanks everyone, I'll try charging it one more time before cracking it open. But annoyed since I bought it in like 2019 to replace a 3dsxl whose hinge was about to crack and then barely used it thanks to covid. 3ds and the ds are probably the two consoles I'll try to have real hardware of because of the dual screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,071 ✭✭✭Doge

Man I didn't know Classic Game Room is back on YouTube. Used to watch his videos years ago and I think he abandoned the YouTube platform back then and I forgot all about him. I'm pretty sure he was my introduction to the Vectrex.

@o1s1n did yours arrive yet?

Master of the Universe

Cool! I'll give that a listen.

I'm still waiting for it to be shipped, was in one of the preorder groups. Really can't wait to have a mess about with it!

I tried to order something from Japan and An Post are sending it back. I recall folk here having the issue, if anyone has any idea what's happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The seller most likely didn't provide the customs declaration in a digital format, An Post automatically refuse any parcels that don't have a digital declaration.

Master of the Universe

Your package needs a thing called a TARIC code. Seller needs to include it.

Can find them here. What I do now is if I'm buying anything from outside the EU I include the code in the other comments section of the payment page just asking them to include it on th package.

https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/SME/InternationalSending/Find-a-TARIC-Commodity-code

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The few things I’ve bought recently from outside the EU I get delivered to the US addresspal address. It costs about 16 quid more or whatever the charge is, but at least it arrives. I don’t think they need that Taric code because a lot of the times the items being shipped to them are from the us to a us address in New Jersey so wouldn’t have it anyways.

That makes the great Tesco haul of yonder seem pale (that one actually affected the prices of Metroid Prime Trilogy if I recall)

• Advertisement

Reminds me of the time that dude on RacketBoy posted about finding a bunch of Sega stuff in a random skip in Greece. It was mostly Game Gear stuff I seem to recall. Not sure what had the dude dumpster diving in the first place, but hey, there's almost more dignity in it than trying to get retro stuff for affordable prices in 2024.

Master of the Universe

That's an amazing story that turned into an embarrassing story.

They were sent off for 'grading' and are now all wrapped in plastic.

Apparently already being sealed wasn't enough and they needed to be sealed a second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭Steve X2

RIP Yuzu :0(

I'm sure like many I grabbed the latest version and cloned the GitHub when the court case news came out. I wonder how long before we see a new emulator?

Still eagerly awaiting the arse to fall out of this WATA bubble, losing faith with each passing year. I'm only really on the periphery of collector culture anymore, but it seems they've been increasingly normalized as time goes on, for reasons that are too numerous, and bleak, to get into here.

On one hand I'm pissed because I don't like when accountants determine legality, but on the other hand, really what were they thinking? Absolutely coining it, 40k a month around the time of TotK, with clean informational instructions on their website about the use of keys etc. Emulation is going to have to evolve, and useage of decryption keys will have to die out....likely replaced by games needing to be decrypted outside of the emulator itself. Plus, excessive Patreon donations are always going to draw fire and smother people in legal fees, such as this.

• Advertisement

This isn't in Stereoscopic 3D but it's still pretty mental!

@o1s1n time to dust off your DK1! 😂

I've been sleeping on the doom mods:

Installed that myself, lots of fun... but... still prefer the install of the PC version of Outrun 2006 on my Deck

• Advertisement
Advertisement