Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,538 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think some might pay attention to the debates to sway them.

Originally I thought this was going to very simple Yes vote by a large majority but I don't feel this is the case anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Voting NO for both

Result here supposedly widely at odds with the general populace.

Told daily that these will pass comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Voting NO for both

I'm fairly sure of voting No on the care referendum now. Still not certain on the family referendum.

I'm surprised at the official poll results. The majority of people I know are voting No to both and they are mostly FFG voters who are definitely not protest voters and definitely not supporters of Iona etc. I've never experienced this before where all the people I know who are usually in line with the mainstream official viewpoint, are going against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Voting YES for both

I am a definite Yes in the family referendum. For me it makes a lot of sense to allow for different households to be recognised as families such as single parents, Foster parents, grandparents parenting their grandchildren.

I was a definite Yes in the care referendum but am reflecting on it in the last day or two. Reading #VoteYesNo over on twitter has given me a huge amount of insight into how the care referendum has many negative impacts on disabled people;

Many Irish feminists groups and left progressive parties have taken the position to campaign for a Yes vote on care.

This may seem like the correct stance to take as the current language in the constitution is sexist, misogynistic and draconian BUT the proposed new wording (while being more inclusive as gender neutral) doesn’t acknowledge the fact that currently 98% of care work in the home is done by women, mostly unpaid.

The new wording also proposes to set in stone in the constitution that “care work” is by default the responsibility of family members and that the Government may only “strive” to provide “care”.

What about disabled people who have no families? What about disabled people who want autonomy and independence from their families.

From the point of view of disabled people this amendment is paternalistic and ableist as it implies disabled people need care that only family can provide. It also enables the Government to shirk their responsibility of providing public services for the disabled community by suggesting care only happens in the home.

As of today there are no dedicated disabled persons groups campaigning for a Yes vote.

I am still thinking about it long and hard. I haven't 100% decided on the care referendum but I feel the wording is awful.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Voting YES for both

The Catholic Church has come out looking for a No vote.

I find it very easy to choose when the Catholic Church lets me know how they want me to vote in ANY referendum.

So, it’s a YES-YES from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ThePentagon

Voting NO for both

Leaning towards voting No mainly because if I'm unsure about the implications of a referendum I vote for the status quo. Still time to change my mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Voting NO for both

I want you to refute to us the "rambling nonsense" of Micheal McDowell. Clearly you know better than him.

You have already said that people voting no have not read or understand the proposed changes to the constitution - again clearly we all below your level of understanding.

This is now my 4th time of asking - justify your comments.

Voting NO for both

Almost as bad as all the people voting yes as that is what the governments wants them to do, no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Voting NO for both

Anything that suggests the idea of giving the government and/or courts more power over us should always necessitate a big fat "NO"

Even if purely ceremonial, the government are clearly using the constitution as political fodder. Just wait for the next election, if it gets passed it will be thier prize pig in all the debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Voting YES for both

The demographics have probably changed a bit over the last decade. Older, angrier and more conservative. If those referendums were happening now, the results of any poll on here would probably be skewed towards the 'No' side.

I'm a very soft 'Yes' voter. Whatever the result, it won't be the end of the world.

• Advertisement

Voting NO for both

I'm not going to spend the next hour typing out definitions for common words/phrases - it is glaringly obvious the game you are trying to play 😉

You seem to struggle to understand what is a very basic idea, it cannot really be that hard for you - if you do not know what morality is you can look it up. (perhaps you should as you are obviously struggling with this as well) You will understand 98% of the context in which it can be used. This is not possible for "durable relationship" - once again, this is nothing but a place holder. You expect people to vote for something that currently has absolutely no meaning.

Comical is nice word to use, not only are you so narrow sighted that you cant see the impact of inserting such an ambiguous term into the constitution will have and the amount of trouble it will cause but you are now going to try second guess the supreme court.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

If Roderic says yes that's basically it right? The space between reality and the rte notion of what a mind is has to be growing, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Abstaining

I won't be voting.

I can't put into words how uninterested I am in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Abstaining

I would agree that voting yes without really knowing what you are voting for isn't a great approach either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

Voting YES for both

So you still can't provide definitions. Good to know. The fact you are struggling to provide definitions says it all. Again, most people are fully able to grasp the meaning of durable relationship, its doesn't exactly require a rocket scientist to figure it out.

It's not about second guessing the Supreme court. Its about looking at judgments they have made in the past and determining what likely judgments they will make in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Voting NO for both

I am really surprised to see the mainstream polls so heavily indicating a yes vote to both- almost everyone I speak to is either voting no, or completely uninterested. I guess it comes down to what side is more passionate to get out on the day- and usually, it tends to be those in favour of making a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Voting NO for both

Same, anyone I’ve talked to who is engaged with it is saying NO NO or...no interest whatsoever and confusing it with an election even....

But as always the way - The major parties will get their vote out to bloc vote for yes - no major party (afaik) are pushing for a NO NO vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,049 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I am voting NO (family amendment)

Aontú are advocating No/No, but I acknowledge you did say "major" Party.

Also bloc voting is just voting. You won't find too many people who voted to repeal the 8th, or for marriage equality, and did so against their own beliefs just because a Party they support asked them to.

Those days are looooooooong gone.

Both these referendums will pass, by 5 to 10% and with woeful turnout. And we'll all just get on with our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Abstaining

I am not voting. This year our local council asked us to take a day off work to allow a company to come and inspect our rented accommodation. I don't have the extra time now to come and vote in this junk. I always vote but have no appetite to vote. Enrages me to see signs around the neighbourhoods that I cannot afford to buy in. I think the amount of abstentions will be a real eye opener to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Voting YES for both

How has this got anything to do with the referendum though?

The turnout is going to be low, everyone expects it. I don't think anybody will be too concerned if the turnout is in the 30s even (which is a shame to be fair)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭StormForce13

Voting NO for both

If the amendments are carried then "they" won't care if only 12 people voted.

And if the amendments aren't carried then they'll have the excuse that the turnout was surprisingly low, but "the people have spoken".

Either way, "they" will have fulfilled the commitment in the Programme for Government to hold the referenda (as recommended by the Citizens Assembly) and "they" will cheerfully continue drawing their salaries and grandstanding about RTE, Ukraine and Gaza. Heads they win, tails we lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Voting NO for both

No and no. These are getting even more rushed and shambolic. It’s like they don’t even read these themselves and scratch their head when someone asks for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Voting NO for both

The above comment is the problem with the majority of the Irish electorate…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'm voting no on both proposals. I don't trust this government and I'm deeply suspicious of Roderic O'Gorman and what his vision is for Ireland. I was very impressed with Michael McDowell's interview, didn't always like his politics but he made a strong case for a No vote, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Havent decided yet. Read the booklet. Still have questions.

I'm not a fan of McDowell, cannot stand him from his PD days, but he raised valid issues and questions and seems more coherent than the yes side so far.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Voting NO for both

"Again, most people are fully able to grasp the meaning of durable relationship"

I must be absolutely thick so. For my education and other puzzled voters, please explain exactly what is the meaning of 'durable relationship'.

And give clear examples of what is a 'durable relationship' and what isn't a 'durable relationship'.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,049 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I am voting NO (family amendment)

This is kinda nonsense though. The polls are open from 7am-10pm, on a Friday night.

If you don't want to vote, don't vote. But don't make out that there isn't time to, the choice is entirely yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

Voting YES for both

Don't put yourself down Furzee. I'm confident you'll be well able to do. We will give it a bash.

What do you think the term durable means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Voting NO for both

I'll be voting No & No Why?

Because if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Proposed new wording is too wishy washy and open to question & misinterpretation.

Advertisement