Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why are the Russian drone videos low res? Couldn't that be anything burning - a stack of round bales soaked in fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Was always going to happen sadly. I did see Ukraine started to use 1 anyhow after adviika fell. Wonder was it the same one a few days later. Also wonder if Ukraine feel they have to use them now to halt the Russian advances instead of probably using them more when the weather improved in early summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Just leave their ambassador and one or two caterers only. Get rid of the rest..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Listening to Macron speaking after UKR special conference in Paris where all EU ministers inc ours met. Gloves off it seems. He said we are at war. He said Europe cannot allow Russia to win this war. He said this is Europes war and if others are involved with us in this it is a bonus. Clear msg re USA. No longer depending on USA

• Advertisement

He did not say 'we are at war' unless I missed that in the article.

But you are right, he does seem to be suggesting the gloves are coming off

BUT

actions speak louder than words, let's see what becomes of this.

All Eyes On Rafah

@TheValeyard He did. Was just listening to him on FRANCE 24 .. however it was being translated as he was speaking in French. Thats what the translator said.

I am fascinated the mejia havent caught up with all this yet. Looked at twitter etc, no mention of what Macron said from majors yet.

And the mejia is catching up

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/frances-macron-says-sending-troops-ukraine-cannot-be-ruled-out-2024-02-26/

France's President Emmanuel Macron said on Monday there was no consensus on sending troops to Ukraine, but the subject could not be ruled out.

"There is no consensus at this stage... to send troops on the ground," Macron said after hosting some 20 countries allied to Ukraine.

"Nothing should be excluded. We will do everything that we must so that Russia does not win."

@TheValeyard - "actions speak louder than words, let's see what becomes of this."

'No man can tame a tiger into a kitten by stroking it. There can be no appeasement with ruthlessness.' Franklin D Roosevelt, 1940.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No long range missiles from Germany.

Back to being afraid of Putin again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Given the position of the tank half off the road, it seems to be the same vehicle. Regardless, that M1 has definitely suffered an ammunition explosion. Remains to be seen if the tank is recoverable. Crew likely got out, though.

More re this Ukraine Conf in Paris today / this evening

I wouldn't trust a word from Fico to be honest.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

That's what happens when you threaten to shoot down French aircraft!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

The image is funny but it tells a serious truth.

Russia is now surrounded by NATO in a way would be unconceivable pre-invasion.

Invasion itself is bogged down in a horrific war with limited gains and massive casulties, and Russia has burned international bridges left, right and centre, and is now in an unsustainable war economy, in an unsustainble war.

It's completely **** that Ukraine is suffering as it is, but there's zero long term win for Russia regardless of how much they creep forward at such a dreadful casulty rate. Putin is basically Hitler circa 1944, still fighting because for him there's no alternative.

There was a big gamble in Feburary 2022, not unlike Operation Barbarossa the goal - and assumption - was quick collapse. There wasn't a plan B for a) failure and b) a long war of attrition. Russia isn't a global powerhouse, just like Germany wasn't in 1941 despite the illusion of power.

It has limits, limits that are higher than most countries due to the nature of Putin's grip on power but at the end of the day, it's a limited economy to be waging a war on this scale indefinitely. It's not the Soviet Union.

Obviously Ukraine would prefer to win militarily, fight the war of attrition on equal terms, and not cede land and lives but even if external support isn't forthcoming Russia is still climbing Mount Everest.

It's a million years from defeating the Ukrainian army, and even if it did in a meaningful sense, there's insurgency and occupation, pacification, which would cost unfathomably more than the current disaster is costing.

Unfortunately Nazi Germany kept going until the country literally collapsed. That's what Putin is doing, praying for a miracle. We can only pray in turn that someone takes charge to spare the country, and the wider world, more suffering for what'll ultimately amount to worse than zero gain.

The game is over for Russia. It has been since the first week of the invasion when Ukraine made it clear Russia was about as welcome as cancer. The question is how many more lives have to be lost senselessly on all sides before someone in Russia gives priority to everyone not called Vladimir Putin and calls a halt to the madness.

The 4D chess meme is, again, funny but it's always been 1D chess from the start. Putin rolled snake eyes in 2022 and there's no coming back, regardless of how long he/Russia continues to fight. It's an unwinnable war.

Just wish we'd get to the bit where Putin puts a bullet in his head.

Fair few UAF losses today.

Something unusual happening lately. I'm seeing a lot more footage of UAF equipment getting hit and it appears to be recent stuff. Either Russia is confident they can show these vids as they advance or something else is afoot.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Tbh it could mostly be backlog from the Avdiivka fight. There was a HUGE amount happening over a number of weeks there and not much footage of lost equipment. Now the fight isn't AS intense the footage is coming out.

That'd be my guess anyway.

• That was the argument made at the start of the war, that it will run out of ammunitions and that its economy will collapse. Both have gotten better since, they are out producing Ukraine and the EU on ammunitions and their economy is supported by India and China. Look it's slowly winning the war in Ukraine, any attempt EU will make will get bogged down in politics. How are the EU farmers supporting Ukraine? They are not and agriculture is Ukraine's main source of income so it's fecked both economically and militarily, because the US want out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

The fact they have to go scrounging to Iran and North Korea for help says about everything. I mean the global humiliation to be seen begging from one of the world's poorest countries with regards North Korea. Begging for shells they probably sold most of them in the 1950's. Begging for low-quality ammunition from a pariah state that doesn't even have a proper road network.

Economy wise, yeah it's weathered sanctions better than expected, but it's now in a war economy. Anyone with a functioning braincell knows that is not remotely sustainable in the medium to long term and unless I'm missing something Russia shows absolutely zero chance of "winning" in the short term.

So what's the end-game? There is none. Except Putin throwing everything he can at the conflict until he can't.

"Slowly winning" at a snails pace in a foreign country has never worked, even with countries 10 times richer than Russia. So trying to paint this as anything other than a collossal embarrassment and failure for Russia is disingenuous.

Ukraine has less constraints in many ways because it's a war of basic survival. For Russia, it's a botched and humiliating failure of an invasion, that it had no business launching in the first place, it has incomparably less mileage with which to wage this war.

If the Russian army performed as it should have - as everyone expected it would - in February 2022 the war should've been over in a few weeks. But that didn't happen because the Russian army, like the state itself, is absolutely gutted by corruption.

We're in 2024 and Russia's only successful strategy is 1916-era tactics of mass bombardment and infantry assaults. No combined arms. No overwhelming air power. No evidence of even a semblence of high-level command and control. Relative to the modern day they're not even remotely on even the vaguest level of what the Soviet Union was capable of in 1944-45.

No evidence of any modern equipment in even the vaguest meaningful numbers that wasn't built in the Soviet era either. The Russian state is simply rotten to the central core with corruption.

China was shocked - and probably delighted - by how bad the Russian army has proven to be. China is a friend of Russia when it suits China to be a friend of Russia.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I like the idea of western troops entering western Ukraine. Free up Ukrainian soldiers especially at the Belarus border. Bring their air defence with them to allow Ukraine to move theirs further east and help with logistics in the country. Would be a big help and another imaginary red line crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

Also, if EU could stop buying LNG from Russia, that would have a big impact. 8 billion last year, 15.75 billion in 2022 (however amounts imported are the same, so I assume that means the price has halved).

Source: https://ieefa.org/european-lng-tracker#:~:text=M-,LNG%20import%20and%20export%20volumes,the%20rest%20from%20other%20countries.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Same here. I think they seem to be hitting targets pulling back from adviika and in the vicinity of adviika. Russia looks to be pushing out from there and have taken a few villages close there so seems to be Ukrainian positions getting hit there and when they are withdrawing from them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

...on wrong page and reading an old post there and responded to it! Sorry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It'd be the only way EU troops could enter Ukraine without actively shooting at Russia, you'd have to think; cos I'd say Macron's comments were very precisely phrased and if they were deployed simply as rearguard troops (and potential educators to Ukraine's own), a NATO/EU force would fulfill a more aggressive posture just by being there. Might also call Russia's own bluff cos would they send drones and airstrikes on locations they know Western troops are stationed?

Figuring out the mandate alone would take months however - and you could be damn sure Orbán is primed and ready to shoot down any and all suggestions or particulars of an expeditionary force. And if they were crippled by excessive legalise they could be functionally useless, even if they they were shot at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

With EU collective defence being so nascent, it would (IMO) be more likely to be some kind of cooperative mission under aegis of NATO between countries that are willing.

We know Hungary won't help at all, but if something like that ever began to look likely (due to prospect of Russia making much greater progress than as yet in East of Ukraine perhaps) it is doubtful they can do anything to stop it. They can't tell other EU countries what to do with their militaries.

I mean at the EU level I am guessing (?), Ireland might be almost as likely to try and block something like a specific EU led mission sending soldiers into West of Ukraine as Hungary is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

For sure, never said it wasn't. But down from what it was and there are some divisions on the Ukrainian side that were not there in the beginning. It's almost inevitable and it's amazing how upset some people get by the mere suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Macron has rightly come in for some criticism during this war, but unusually strong words from him now, so let's hope it's followed through with actions:

After this rather sudden Ukraine conference with 20 ( I think ) of EU countries + UK .. and then Macrons presser last evening with complete change of direction re this war ... I am concluding that they must have received sone sort of very serious sobering intelligence about russia/putins next move. He specifically mentions 10 countries ( i think ) open to being attacked, also singled out defence of moldova.

I think we havent heard the full info yet. Concerning, frightening times but I suppose inevitable really

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sure even Scholz has come out with strong words while being almost unremittingly useless in action. Believe it when I see it etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement