Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭thebiglad

What do you intend to use it for, how many miles will you cycle, commute or leisure? Presume its for an adult.

Do you need to take on a train or have limited storage - is there a reason you want a folding bike?

What is it that attracts you to the e-bike you have posted?

If people understand your likes and needs they can advise or direct you much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Your link above is for a non electric Raleigh stowaway. The electric version is below. The 250W battery is small. An unfit (or lazy) rider might be lucky to get 20 km range depending on their weight and fitness.(imo) A fit rider will do much better.

https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/electric-bikes/raleigh-stow-e-way-electric-folding-bike---20%22-wheel-719102.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not familiar with that bike, but I'll say the same, as I do to anyone thinking of buying an emtb. Do your research and make sure you buy from a reputable source who sells reputable brands. After sales and their warranty policy are nearly more important than the bikes themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I 2nd this.

Although I'm speaking from a mountain bike perspective, and the conditions are harsher. Even reputable brands can and do frequently go wrong. And can be costly when they do.

Cheap is not always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rodderss

I am after an e mountain bike the Lankeisi nv800 gets good reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Just had a quick look at this bike. Tbh I haven't heard about that brand before.

I'm sure it migh be OK for riding on fire roads but I'm not going to lie, I certainly wouldn't like to be going down my local trails on it,.

While it talks the talk regarding powered etc, it has 70 NM, most main brand bikes are 85/90 NM full power even some of the light weight bikes are close to that. It also weighs 35kg. That's 10+ kg more than most full power ebike. And nearly double the weight of some of the light weight bikes. Also I wouldn't be a fan the hub base motors, if you trash your wheel, you might have a job of getting it rebuilt.

It also looks to be powered by a "Trottle handle". This along with having max speed of of over 50kph, would fall foul of the law, as it would be in category of a moped, (could be wrong here though). My understanding is a max of 25kph and also needs to be pedal assisted, not a Trottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

My original point still stands, buy from a reputable source and a company who has good after sales backup.

Also most trail centres and clubs won't permit throttle control e-bikes on their trails, only pedal assist.

Advertisement