Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I shop weekly online for a few reasons, cheaper, more efficient(time spent shopping weekly is much reduced, less likely to buy stuff you don't need, reduces food waste as you can check what you already have there and then) environmentally friendly (not hopping in a car to go to the shop and back again adding to unnecessary car usage etc. )

In fairness we've not had any freshness issues etc and I would highly recommend it if available to you.

If you go back far enough in this thread you'll find people like me flagging this issue for people who shop online. It's not like it hadn't been flagged but look there was a public(not very well advertised) consultation done where this issue obviously hadnt come up......and lookit this system works great in other countries....it will be fine her.....and here we are four weeks on and no equitable solution for people who shop online. Never mind all of the other issues highlighted.

Most people here used their recycle bin as prescribed for recyclable materials, they are the people most put out by this scheme..stating the obvious here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The lads on the collection trucks aren't going to empty every bin and sift through it to make sure it only has the correct waste included. It would be very easy to hide general rubbish under grass clippings and food waste in the compost bin or under recycling.

I'm sure the majority of householders at least try to use them correctly, but there's always idiots who do as they please. The fact that recycling and compost bins are cheaper if you pay per lift or per weight will only encourage these idiots.

Unfortunately, having us all storing and returning plastic and aluminium cans won't change that, but we all have to suffer regardless.

Add in the other issues highlighted - those who don't drive, shop online with no option to return etc, and it gets more ridiculous.

I'm sure Eamon is whizzing around on his bike with a bag of empty cans thinking he's a great lad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Most people here used their recycle bin as prescribed for recyclable materials

To be fair, we don't know that for a fact. I accept it might be true but without a time machine, knowing where everybody on here lives and taking the time to compare their bins on their individual bin collection day we will ultimately be unable to prove it

What we do know is that the overall recycling rate of everybody in the country was around 60%. I believe the other 40% who weren't recycling (or weren't recycling properly) are going to be more put-out by this scheme as now they have to do something completely new as opposed to the 60% who are doing the same thing as before, just in a different way

• Advertisement

Of course I accept that not everybody does a shopping trip. The vast vast majority of people do and this has been my point all along

To be fair you do realise you are in a small minority of people in the way you do your shopping and making laws to convenience the minority at the expense of the majority isn't a good way to run a country

With that being said if the majority of the population want this scheme gone we should see any political party who is against it succeed in the next general election...

I don't see any major or minor parties coming out promising to repeal it though, do you? Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Do you have a source to back up your generalisations, please? Namely that :

"The vast vast majority of people do" [shopping trips] and

"You are in a small minority of people in the way you do your shopping" [online]

• Our Eamon doesn’t need to worry about return deposits I am pretty sure Kool Aid comes in little packs.

• I absolutely stand aghast at the suggestion this is the same thing we were doing previously but in a different way.

The sentence doesn’t even really make sense by itself but regardless we were not charged deposits that got refunded when we correctly recycled cans and bottles in fact the only thing some people recycled in a sort of similar way is glass.

my provider offers a glass bin they collect so even that I had a bin collected for. This is nothing like what I used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Yea cause we're all flithy pigs in this country and thats how we roll🙄, in our own filth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Let's assume you are right with your figures.

Who is going to be more put out by this scheme,.those who had a convenient way or recycling in the first instance and who engaged with it or those that couldn't give a toss about recycling?

You just need to read through this thread for your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

What some of the people on this thread forget is, this maybe working in some other eu countries where generally public services do work properly but they go into a lot more detail to include everyone in society. In Ireland, this doesn't happen.

Meaning, disabled people, people without cars, people living miles away from return machines lose out and this 'simple' scheme falls down.

In Ireland everything is organised at a minimum standard so most people lose out.

Use Ireland's public transport as a good example. Atrocious!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

The scheme might work if the machines actually operate at least 50% of the time. 3 at my local Tesco have been down every time I've tried to return... Great start.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Who was it here that said a car journey to the machines wasn't a waste of time??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The majority of people were already recycling.

The scheme needs to get to 90% success doesn't it?

So the majority - minority argument doesn't apply here because it needs the minorities too.

So how many of these "minorities" can the scheme afford to give two fingers to and still hit that target?

Doesn't look good to me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There was general disbelief expressed by some pro-scheme posters that the machines would ever be out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The advice is to drive around until you find one that is working, park, maybe pay for parking, use the machine, queue up at the till or customer service if they have one, get your 60 cent cash, drive back to where you do your actual shopping and go home.

Obviously that 60 cent is not going to cover your fuel, time, or parking. But it's for the environment so tough.

But that is only marginally different to what you are used do, walk the few yards to your own bin and get on with your life.

Shut up and put up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I used a local RVM for the first time over the weekend at Aldi. One of the two machines was already not working and there were bags of (presumably rejected) bottles stashed around.

I saw a post online of how it works in Sweden. They can empty a full bag of bottles at once into the machine. It scans and rejects bottles if not suitable. The guy must have emptied about 50 bottles in it at once.

In Ireland, its one bottle at a time. It would take how long here?

From May when this hare brained system is fully in place , can you imagine the queues of people emptying one by one.

Backward irish system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Used the RVM's for the first time at the weekend in the local SuperValu (Churchtown). Headed around with a shopping bag with 15 cans in it. Both machines were in operation, very simple process, took the cans one at a time and provided a "Finish" button to press once all the cans were in. Printed the receipt for €2.25, went in the shop picked up what I needed and the 2.25 taken off the cost of the shopping.

I've always recycled properly using my green bin, my only problem is remembering to not crush the cans out of habit when I'm finished. Aside from this which will just take some time getting used to a very efficient system that hopefully people will get on board with and not just complain because they don't like change.

How it is any more efficient or convenient than putting it in your green bin?

One at a time is not efficient. Wait till May.

No need to assume, the 60% figure has been proven many times

As I say the ones who will be most put out by the scheme are the ones who recycling and proper disposal of waste are complete alien concepts. That's not to say others won't be put out, but the ones most put out will be the other 40%

This thread is full of people who claim to use their bins properly, some are claiming there will be extra car journeys and queues at RVMs but to be fair none of these claims can be proven beyond reasonable doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I can now be guaranteed that every single one of my cans will now be actually recycled and not contaminated by other people's misuse of their recycling bin appears to be happening.

To put the 15 cans in took roughly 1 minute in total. I can spare a minute once a week for this.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We've already been told that, if true, one soiled green bin lift means the whole truck goes to the land fill. Maybe someone can confirm this?

If so, that would go a long way to explain the 40% not recycled. But also, if so, I cannot for the life of me understand how someone actually thought this rvm scheme would be a better idea than a scheme where you go after the spoilers of the green bin.

Are you in a wheelchair ?

That's the problem in Ireland. Bring in new rules but minimum thought to include everyone in society.

If it works for me then don't care if it doesn't for others attitude.

Using maths as my proof here, 60% were recycling, 40% weren't, we need to keep that 60% and bring 75% of the remaining 40% (30% of the overall) with us

It's worked in Germany so the only reason it won't happen here is if it's implemented poorly... Ahem

They have a very poor and inconvenient system in California and still get 80%+ returns so that would be the floor level I think

You have nailed it there. Ireland isn't Germany. In Germany, systems actually work and are efficient.

• Advertisement

The 60% figure only refers to one aspect of this sh1tshow and is an approximation.

If recycling and disposal of waste are complete alien concepts to a person, this isn't even gonna cross their sphere of interest. You think that some who can't be bothered to behave like an adult prior to now is someone going to do it now with all of the additional hoops to jump through for the sake of a few cent here and there?

I have used the recycle bin for decades, my kids are taught to use it (there should be more public ones), I've engaged with this scheme primarily to show my kids what is involved and the two times I have gone out of my way to bring back a bag of bottles/cans less that 10 percent of the items were accepted, one of the machines was broken down and there were issues with the refund voucher. There were various caveats no doubt around the items we deposited no doubt but I really dont have the time/interest in reviewing each item invididually to figure out why these things happened, I know I paid a deposit on almost all of them - so I lose money there. I also pay more for my recycle bin, lose money there. Am less likely to waste my time having experiences like the above in future and will probably end up putting most of the items in the recycle bin. Will that help the "figures"?

Of course there will be extra car journeys. There's no way there CANNOT be extra car journeys as a result of this scheme. You don't need to prove that. It's a logical assumption based on some very simple facts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement