Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Piskin

The main culprit for saturday nights debacle was our management, in the 2022 Final Jack kept Tom O Sullivan on Shane Walsh when Walsh was running rampant, against Mayo in 2023 he kept Dylan Casey on Aiden O Shea when he was clearly being wiped out, then on saturday night he kept Jason Foley on Con O Callaghan when Foley was being wiped out, should have stuck Morley on O'Callaghan after 10 mins, it would have kept the scoreline down considerably. His persistance wirh Dara Moynihan is beyond baffling at this stage, as for tactics and a Plan B during games is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kerrysoul

Foley isn't a tight enough marker. He allows his opponent to win possession too often and then spends his efforts trying to close him down. He rarely wins 50:50 contests and is not inter county standard. Absolutely destroyed by O' Callaghan. Not strong enough, not quick enough and chasing shadows all night. Kerry need to find a fullback pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

whatever jason foleys deficiencies are.. one of them is not his speed or lack of it... he is lightning quick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Saying Clifford has only produced a good performance in 1 meaningful game since he started and claiming that JOD was a better forward means I just cant take anything you say seriously at all. Not doubting JOD, he was sensational in 2014.

Also this isn't Cliffords 8th year playing senior football

He has only produced a good performance in the 2022 AI Final when it counted most, I was mistaken this is actually his 7th season playing for us at senior level. James o Donoghue was a better forward overall as he worked harder and was more clinical in scoring. J o D was more of a team player than D Clifford. Clifford has misfired in both finals 2019, Cork 2020, Tyrone 2021, Dublin 2023, Dublin 2024, all meaningful games. Individual skills yes D Clifford is better but overall J o D was a better forward like Declan o Sullivan & C Cooper.

• Advertisement

Its just so hard to debate rationally with someone who clearly has their mind made up. You're just picking out games that Kerry have lost in the last few years, its also possible that the team just played poorly on those days, can hardly pin the blame on one person, plus didn't he score 8 points against Tyrone in that semi in 2021?

The first article when I google David Clifford motm

Sure what does Cooper know anyway 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Link doesn't work, misfiring like D Clifford I guess. Cliffords conversion rate should be a lot better in big games. Fact is he has misfired when it counted most. I would actually put M Fitz & Mikey Sheehy ahead of him when it comes to scoring. They were our star forwards back in the day and they produced when it mattered most in big games. Clifford still has time to be the very best but he needs to knuckle down and do the simple things well on the pitch, a coach needs to be brought in to rid him of his bad habits and get him right mentally when it comes to scoring easy chances.

No he wasn't, missed chances, was way out on the left on his weaker foot too much,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

6 points from play and fouled for a few more and thats not a great game?

Pull the other one.

He actually wasnt great against Tyrone last year I thought apart from that famous pass and a strong finish.

• Advertisement

Possibly his best of the bad I guess...but not a great performance overall as he missed some easy chances, was too greedy at times when other forwards were in better positions.

What is Jack going to do with the midfield problem? D O Connor needs to be taken out as he is proving again & again he isn't up to it at this level. Joe O Connor at least got about saturday night and scored 1-1 from play in his first big match, will be a very good player for us in the coming years. Okunbar has the athleticism at least for Fenton and hopefully will stay injury free this year. Prefer C Burke in the half-forward line as he is creative as is D Geaney. D O Connor is on his 6th season and is not shifting through the gears, same with Moynihan & Brosnan. I saw more in C Burke & D Geaney in 2 games than I have in the one's I have just mentioned. Like M Burns they need to be off the panel at this stage. They have been plenty of time but are not at the level they should be.

The link works just fine Piskin, probably easier for you to say it doesn't anyway.

I cant be arsed debating with you, you're clearly on the windup at this stage, just cutting everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

@Piskin

All players have work to do & Clifford is no different....I would like to see him kick the point when it's on rather than advancing/goal attempts esp when we need to steady the ship at times

I'd love for the media to stop glorifying him constantly, Small kicked a point hogan st side sat nite that was top drawer, if twas Clifford twould be the highlight of the Sunday game.

Comparing him to Gooch M Fitz et al can be done when he's retired,

By his 7th senior season M Fitz didn't have an all ireland medal.....just to put a bit if perspective on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Since when has a league game in February been a big match or a meaningful game??

It's a league game.

In February.

Some amount of way OTT rubbish posted here since Saturday.

No it doesn't wonga, I am not on a wind up as you say and if you can't be arsed for a debate then don't!! In fact that kinda sums up the Kerry panel for a while now, no fight!! Just listen to Terrace Talk and not one of the panelists will call things as they are , all "sher look it" etc. Dinny Long was the only one to call out this Kerry set up last year for what it was & is.

D Geaney kicked a calm cool point the other night, he didn't advance when others would have steadied himself and kicked an accomplished point.

Nothing can be done about the media hype, what needs to be done is for Jack or some coach to be brought in to get in Cliffords ear. Even Paudie had a go at him in last years Final when a pass was on for a goal chance which would have won the game.

Fitz was in a bad team but when he did get into a Final boy did he make it count!!!

D Clifford has time to improve yet as he has another 5 years at least in him, but as it currently is all those players I mentioned were more clinical in front of goal when it counts...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Nice to see a bit of fight and direct football from Kerry today after rolling over and having their tummies tickled last week.

Couple of nice counter attacks and that little row midway through the half is no harm either.

I was hoping for a reaction at home so nice to get it, regardless of what way this finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

Yeah there needed to be some sort of a bite back after last sat nite & thankfully there was

Joe o connor growing into the midfield role

V reliant again on the Clifford's but again when paudie gets motoring everything else comes together

Bit disappointed with tyrone tbh, lost drive & direction when Harte went off

Good to get the win, still far off Dublin after watching Dublin again yesterday. Tyrone were no great shakes and kicked bad wides. Some of the squad players got a run out as well. Still no tactical plan to break the opposition half back line. Still no cohesion in the forwards. Hopefully we can see out the League on a winning run, don't see anything but a Derry v Dublin Final. Gavin White has tightened up his game which is good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If Derry and Dublinwin there provinces and there groups and continue through they meet in the SF AFAIK

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

None of that is guaranteed.

Semifinals are done via a draw after the quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya looks that way and they both have the head to head on Kerry even if we are on the same points as one of them. Derry are probably guaranteed a final spot they have Mayo away and Roscommon at home. They should get to 10 or 11 points and have a good scoring difference.

Dublin are away to Galway and at home to Tyrone both of them may need the points to stay up.

We are away to Roscommon and at home to Galway in the final game

Sorry forgot about the SF being an open draw unless there was clashes

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Joe O Connor is not the answer at midfield. Felt he was average at best today. Defensively he is very poor and will be targeted by teams come championship. Now maybe he’s still the best of a bad bunch as Okunbur didn’t show anything in the short time he was on.

Joe o Connor seems to switch off mentally at times, Okunbor better suited in the half back line than midfield. His first outing in a while so cannot rate him really, he does cover ground and is pacy. Still not convinced about D o' Connor even though he got man of the match. Again we have our full forward way out the pitch for most of the game which is a worry. We are a long way off Dublin in every department at this stage. That was a bad Tyrone team who kicked a lot of wides and tactically we were basic again.

Will you ever take a break winding people up. The man of the match isn’t good enough 😂. Actually I thought Dara Moynihan was man of the match but sure you don’t think he should be on the panel at all. Sean O Shea had a great game at 14, that’s an awful worry 😝

I just think he is not a top level midfielder, that was a poor enough Tyrone team. D Moynihan had a good enough game but he only plays well against weaker teams. I want S o Shea to stay in the inside line. Gavin White has improved his game, much tidier on the ball and is looking around more when running with the ball, A Spillane had a good game, brings much needed grit & tenacity. Morley had a good game as well. We are still a good bit behind Dublin and hopefully Jack can fix the kick out's, that area is killing us most.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Can someone tell me why our goal was disallowed in the 1st half? Looked ok to me.

• Advertisement

Ya I couldn’t figure that out either. Tyrone player picked the ball off the ground and the whistle blew. I assumed he wasn’t playing advantage and giving us a free in…..

Advertisement