Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I would take a large amount of contamination to upset a recycling bins produce. Repack were running a campaign a few years ago that if your takeaway pizza box was lightly stained after use it could still go into the recycling bin

How would you suggest we "go after the spoilers of the green bin" exactly? Send cops down the road checking bins before the bin trucks do their lift and fine accordingly?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Gary_dunne

No I'm not in a wheelchair and apologies I was not dismissing that issue with the scheme, it is one that certainly needs to be addressed.

I definitely don't have that type of attitude, was simply just giving my honest experience of using these machines for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

thats really convenient, thanks for that information. The vast majority of machines i've visited so far don't have a finnish button which can be annoying. i wonder if re-turn would consisder listing which stores/machines have the finnish button and which ones don't. i often get rid of high volumes at a time, and it can already be stressful getting the items there undamged and then rushing to put them in the machine one by one before the machine spits out a voucher without giving me the option to keep going until desired. its really a waste of paper spitting out 4 or 5 pieces of paper on something that can be all contained on the same 1 piece if the machine gave me more time. if i happen to be passing by churchtown i will check out their machines for the finnish button and come back at some point with a couple of black bags filled with recycleables if all goes well.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You haven't been to Germany recently I take it. Trains can't run on time and the place is still a 90s bureaucracy scared of modern technology.

Their system has multiple different types of deposit for different things and some containers are only returnable to stores that sell them - the various Scandinavian systems are the ones that work properly.

You think that some who can't be bothered to behave like an adult prior to now is someone going to do it now with all of the additional hoops to jump through for the sake of a few cent here and there?

As has happened in the German system yes it will happen here if the system is implemented properly

I applaud your use of the recycling bin, as has been mentioned here the majority know how to use it properly

Of course there will be extra car journeys. There's no way there CANNOT be extra car journeys as a result of this scheme

There's zero proof of this from the Irish or German schemes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And those spoilers are still spoiling the green bin and nobody does anything about it... which sounds to me like it is trotted out as an excuse \ justification than a real reason.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This.

Probably "friend or family" won the contract and sourced the cheapest of cheap ass machines the Germans would consider unsuitable.

Everything here is fired together like a dogs dinner and the public are expected to tuck in and shut up. Shur Twill be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Gary_dunne

No problem at all. It seems to have been really efficiently introduced to this SuperValu.

I can understand the frustration of keeping them in good condition as I said out of habit would always crush the cans to save space in the recycling bin. But for the amount I'll be using weekly wouldn't be much of a problem keeping an extra cans bag beside the bin.

Their system is much more advanced than most others, it takes back PET bottles, aluminium/steel cans, glass by the create and even some reusable stuff.

And most importantly when it was first brought in there was zero confusion. Hint hint to any re-turn people who might have stumbled across this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Each retailer sources their own machines. There's multiple different types. Some appear to actually be German

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We are not German, this fact may have escaped you. We have swaths of society in this country who do not act in responsible ways (plenty of proof for that).

If the majority know how to use it properly why are we being asked to stop using it properly?

Heres the logic of the reasons why car journeys increase.

We are told that 3 percent (a trend that was increasing) of the population shop online (I've mentioned some pros of doing this above). They don't go near a shop for their weekly shop. There's nothing in place for them to return their items as part of their weekly shopping process flow.

If they want to enage with this scheme they will need to bring their items to a shop - percentage increase in car journeys than before this scheme came into place.

No massive "proof" required - just some basic logical reasoning required there.

I don't see any other data points that would balance this increase in car journeys with a reduction somewhere else in the process flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This represents the reality for many responsible citizens. The failure to integrate this new idea into the existing functioning recycling system is simply criminal. Ossian Smyth should resign or be fired. And the whole thing thought out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Include me in that. For the last year, I've been getting food delivered from supermarkets to try to cut down on car usage reducing cost/emissions etc. Now what do I do, stop buying all plastic bottles and cans?

Or use car to drive 8km to nearest re turn machine.

It's a flawed system!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrkilkenny2018

I've always had an interest in the environment and doing the right thing in that regard. Go along with anything that makes sense and helpful etc. Try to walk or cycle rather than drive etc..

I pay for my bins and recycle, compost etc and try to make good choices financially and environmentally. I assume most people do this also. Those that don't, never will.

This DRS scheme has really p!ssed me off though. Its almost like a punishment. As people have said , most are trying to do the right thing already, then they introduce this - in a cost of living crisis also.

It adds nothing positive to people already feeling like they were doing the right thing. Just adds another inconvenience to think about.

They will lose people's hearts and minds for the environmental cause. I know I am thinking slightly differently now.

I'm not here thinking about DRS - "oh thank god for the environment"...I am here cranky, thinking about how i get around this and annoyed with the scheme.

I did use the DRS at my local Lidl. It went well. It was 8pm though and very quiet. Had two bottles , one got rejected as had a slight dint in it but turned it over and it was taken. It was unnecessary fannying around in my eyes and left me feeling a bit grumpy and a bit negative.

The only positive is maybe in future there will be less bottles/cans at the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Why would someone make a special dedicated car journey to the RVM ?

You obviously don't like using the car unecessarily so wouldn't it work better to visit the RVM in conjunction with another trip in that direction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I contacted Re-turn and asked them is this was allowed.

They replied that this is not allowed

They said they would follow up with the store if they had the details

@bog master

Could you email?

info@re-turn.ie

Cutting down on car usage by getting a truck or van to deliver your groceries, a little bit of flawed thinking there... Regardless, you can still pop your products into the recycling bin like you used to, nothing has changed there for you

Just a suggestion, you could walk or cycle to your nearest RVM rather than drive if you were concerned about the environment?

I understand your suggestion but can you not see the flaw here?

Why can the supermarket delivery van not be able to take them back?

No massive "proof" required - just some basic logical reasoning required there.

Some more logical thinking then.

Most of the 3% of online grocery shoppers would probably walk to their nearest RVM or they might drive there during an already planned drive and stop on the way, so most of the 3% would be unlikely to add to car journeys

Like yourself, no proof, just logical thinking

The delivery van is on a route serving many customers. By getting groceries deliveries by one single run, many car trips are avoided. It makes it easier for people to live car free.

So care to show us your evidence for your claim to the contrary, if you're going to shout "flawed thinking"?

And how will all the trips made by Re-turn trucks to RVMs cut down on vehicle usage versus putting items in green bin that still needs to be collected by refuse trucks?

Well?

• Advertisement

Tesco has stated that they won't take the empties back in the van due to the danger of contamination.

If you think about it there is a certain logic to that. I wouldn't like my fresh produce to be sharing a space with my neighbours empties.

I'm not aware of any other companies policies.

I did suggest a possible use of the cab space to carry a small amount but other posters thought it unworkable.

Yep. Probably get killed on the roads I live on. Lack of cycle lanes or paths you see like most rural ireland.

And as for you other statement about delivery vans. What planet are you on?

How do you know there's an RVM in walking distance?

How do you know they have a car?

Why would they go to an RVM if they shop online? They can't use the voucher for an online shop.

I don't see any logic here, just assumptions.

Why would someone make a special dedicated journey to an RVM? Because someone doesn't usually set foot in the areas these RVM's are?

That's a pity. It probably makes more sense to me to return driving to the shop again. Not good for environment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Well around here he you get charged every time your green bin is lifted. 6 euros every 2 weeks. Thats about what Im losing in the deposit scheme.

Granted they may not set foot in the actual shop because they get deliveries.

However they may be passing nearby an RVM on another journey.

Are you serious here?

Think of the Truck or Van as a "bus" for groceries. There are forth houses in my estate - 40 cars bringing home groceries. Home delivery could mean one or two electric trucks do the same job, saving god knows how much in emissions, car journeys etc. We aren't there yet with that level of automation but that's where it's headed.

Poster puts products in recyle bin two issues:

Poster loses money on two fronts.

Recycling figures are't accurate (or so we are told) and the 90 percent that this DRS is supposed to achive never gets achieved if enough people take that line (which by the looks of it here, granted a minor representation of the population) will be significant.

Not everyone is in a position to walk or cycle to an RVM that may or may not be working.

Probably, might and unlikely are not good words to use when trying to apply a bit of logical thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement