Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Most of the countries that have strong far right parties have a history of right wing or hard right parties : Germany, Italy, Belgium, NL etc.

We are quite the outlier in Europe in that our politics has never gone out to the extremes of right or left, it's not really in our political DNA....we must be one of the most stable democracies out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Why does any party need an ANTI immigration stance?

What is needed is a government that controls immigration properly, gets on top of housing and other services eg health and isn't so condescending to the people who are upset and being given conflicting messages..

Any one of the main opposition parties could read the room and decide to alter a few things without having to descend to an anti immigration stance and be elected on that ticket.

Shure most people here bar a few have said that its the problems with numbers that are the issue, not the refugees themselves?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I mention alternatives because I think a lot of people are looking for one.

Thats just the reading I take from peoples opinions.

I think this will probably manifest itself in high votes for independents at the GE, should they field enough candidates.

Which will make for a diluted govt.

I would say the govt needs to do a better job on communciation and explaining the positives about immigration. But thats a battle lost at present, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

A Trump win will embolden Putin to keep pushing and taking more territory meaning a bigger increase in Refugees.

Putin said it himself, he has no plans to stop and will continue on regardless.

People believing what comes out of Trumps mouth really has me worried for our future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I don’t think that’s a done deal. As said referendum and local elections will give a good idea the lay of the land.

No party needs an anti immigration stance.

I think a moderate approach that was thoughful and had longevity is a good idea, yes.

Make some adjustments and invest in resources and infrastrucutre to manage asylum immigration for the long term, because it is going to be forever present.

Lets hope O'Gorman has a vision and a plan when we hear about the large scale state owned asylum accomodation plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Damien360

A bit of an extreme thought but each of those countries probably had a moment in history that allowed their far right party to grow. I don't think we are any where close but the current policies have sown the seeds. Labeling every single legitimate protest as far right demeans your argument so when a true far right event occurs (that moment in history), we will miss it and allow it to grow.

jesus people on here are obsessed with this far right who are nothing more than a bunch of knuckle draggers. They are a long way of forming any kind of party that would entice people en mass to vote for them.

One of the established parties will get tougher on immigration to save their skin.

As for far right? nah.

what right now is the benefit of immigration? if you mean highly educated professionals who can bring something to the table and pay their own way? i’m all for that. not 1000’s upon 1000’s of unskilled labour who won’t be able to survive in this town without state support. No good to anybody except cheap labour for someone.

• Advertisement

Yep.

It is one thing wanting our own tds to get a grip on immigration numbers etc but actively supporting outside countries electing somebody like Trump, to " satisfy Putin " puts into perspective who are the real enemy of this argument here, and in whose interest it is to keep fuelling this debate or any debate that seeks to make people dissatisfied with our democracy.

And thats not CT.

There has been research done that shows Russian involvement as well as far right actors (I know people hate this phrase but denying them doesn't make them disappear!) in our own SM as well as European SM, pushing anti democracy narrative, against governments (none of whom are perfect we all know democratic oppsition and any organisation seen to support those fleeing war or helping support aid to countries like Ukraine.

https://www.isdglobal.org/isd-publications/uisce-faoi-thalamh-platform-analysis/

Its the trolls that don't look like trolls feeding conflict and fear and misinformation.

The ones who don't want anybody to believe in the existence of the " far right" " until they get enough of their people voted in to form a party.

The thing to remember is no matter how bad our government appears to be and none are perfect or suit everybody, at least we have a functioning democracy where we can elect new people every few years, we can protest, we can write about our woes and anger here and elsewhere. Freely.

Unlike the countries with governments that are trying hard to subvert opinion in our little country among others, as well as UK and US.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hmmmmm you support the status quo but repeatedly mention alternatives. Doesnt add up.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Both of these posts are naive imho.

Both sides,not seeing what is happening. Europewide. And here.

It can happen and is happening here.

- Anti immigration resentment. Anger that " they" are getting our benefits our houses our schools, our places at the GP, our hotels.

- People starting to not see people in need but lumping all as economic migrants or worse.

- Othering of people with different religions, skin colours, accents.

- Blaming refugees for all of our country's societal ills which were present long before " they" came to our shores and are not of their making.

- Certain populist TDs looking to hoover up extra votes talking to known far right activists.

Right wing views that have reasonable respect for democracy and human rights DO NOT support targeting of vulnerable individuals or protesting about these people, violence or arson.

Why would this be coming together now?

We have had inept government for years now but still with a liberal democracy and strong economy which makes us a target for those that want rich pickings and power to do what they want without little pesky things like legislation and democracy getting in the way.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I was simply making the point that the next general election is entirely irrelevant when it comes to immigration. It’ll be an issue but there will be no change no matter who ends up in government. And I then therefore made the point that the flow of Ukrainian immigrants would likely be reduced if Trump wins. This does not translate into support for anything.

Didn't come across like that .

So Trump will win and will persuade Putin to stop ?

And you think this will stop the flow of refugees from those countries ?

You have a very unreal view of Trump's influence over Putin .

If Putin isn't stopped he will invade Moldova and then probably Estonia . Hungary is as good as annexed already ...and so on.

Hence Finland have joined NATO and now Sweden .

But NATO will be at war with Russia and its supporting countries .

And don't think anybody will be worrying too much about refugees from anywhere at that stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Your ability to downplay the role of US president is quite impressive. All the other stuff (that Putin is gonna take over the world) is just garbage.

I wouldnt say i support the status quo. I think the govt could do a lot more to improve communications regarding refugees and do more to integrate them with wider society.

Much improvement to be done around housing amd infrastruture but sure we all know that.

It would be good to see the Soc Dems play a role in the new govt and it is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Such bullshit from Beatty fat fucker

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

How exactly do you propose that the Government "integrate them with wider society". The UK is decades ahead of us trying to deal with integrating immigrants with society and has failed in its attempts.

There are parts of Bradford and Leicester where residents are Muslims only. White people are now the minority in London, and it's also happening in Dublin 1 according to the CSO.

Now, maybe this doesn't bother you, but on the question of integration specifically, how can the Government intervene? And secondly, when budgets are being cut across many departments and the health system is crashing, where will they get the funding from for this integration plan?

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/area-bradford-been-branded-no-20794885

• Advertisement

I can't see what good Soc Dems could play in any role. It would be more of the same and then some. I get the pro immigration crowd here just want to keep things going as they are and for the government to keep doing their international and NGO obligations, but Holly Cairns hasn't once said how she would make any immigration policy fit for purpose. None that I am aware of. If we want to have an immigration system that works, we need to fix it first. In order to do that we need admit we have made a bollix of it and to get real about it. We can't keep buying hotel rooms. We can't keep throwing billions at it regardless if the world is on the move. We have finite resources here and that includes tax take. The magic money tree that we seem to have won't last for forever. Some folks talk about Sinn Fein getting in and wrecking the economy... well Soc dems and their 7 TD's can stay on the opposition benches as far as I am concerned, in government as they will do more damage. Look at the **** show the other little party has caused. RTE, Immigration.

Post edited by tom23 on

🤣🤣🤣

You support the soc dems yet constantly pine for alternative parties that are anti refugee/anti immigration.

Terry Pratchet

But the flow of Ukrainian refugees won’t slow with a Trump win.

Stop posting lies as the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Got a link where Putin said he has no plans to stop and continue regardless. The end of of aid to Ukraine under Trump will see them at the negotiation table .The flow of asylum seekers from other countries will not reduce .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ukranian foreign minister calling on Ukranians to return home to support the war effort:

Pat Kenny has the inevitable person on who has any number of reasons for not doing so herself but agrees that others should do so to fight and help clean-up/rebuild, including those who weren't supposed to have left in the first place.

Got a link where Ukraine said it will be at the negotiating table if Trump stops aid?

Im gonna go on facts here. The facts are Putin said he wasn’t going to invade Ukraine for months before he actually did.

Putin attacks countries and has for years and to think he’s just gonna stop his grand Master plan of becoming Hitler 2 some day is pure pie in the sky.

Im amazed people believe anything that comes from his or Trumps mouth.

Google Putin has no plans to stop the war, if the west ever fell for his peace plan which is non existent by the way he will just take the time to rearm and go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Gentlemanne

"White people are now a minority in London". So what? Genuinely who actually cares.

I'm sure you're gonna say that you mean some stereotype about non-white cultures not fitting in, but when you specifically bring up white skin colour demographics, a rational person can read into that as some casual xenophobia.

I didnt advocate an anti immigration party. I dont know where you get that perception from.

I agree with you that there needs to be a long term plan for IPA immigration.

Nobody can reasonably argue that not having a plan, is a plan.

That information is certainly overdue from the publics POV & I hope O'Gorman can lay out a short, medium and long term plan soon, preferably when he releases details of the state owned accomodation for IPAs.

I think the Soc Dems can have a positive influence here and that they would inject some urgency into govt policy and in particular, the provision of new housing and infrastructure.

They would also communicate much better on the subject of immigrarion and this would help allay some peoples fears.

The fact remains that govt communcation needs to be backed up with a plan. One without the other isnt enough.

• Advertisement

Really ?

Not talking about POTUS.. talking about Trump .

And I was replying to a garbage post in the first place ...

Which was a mistake I won't be making again!

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Advertisement